PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand / Auckland area golf

macjackass
18th March 2009, 05:21 PM
Alright, will be in NZ on Friday and have to kill time so can someone suggest a course i can drive to relatively easily and that is decent? Cheers.

Courty
18th March 2009, 09:11 PM
Isn't Kauri Cliffs just out of Auckland?

BrisVegas
18th March 2009, 09:16 PM
yeah, and Barnbougle Dunes is just out of Melbourne!

Courty
18th March 2009, 09:20 PM
Approximately 3 hours and 45 minutes from Auckland or 292 kms.

Take State Highway 1 from Auckland to Whangarei (2 hours / 180 kms)
Stay on Highway 1 past Whangarei to Kawakawa (approximately 50 minutes / 53.5 kms)
Pass through Kawakawa, staying on Highway 1 until you reach the Kerikeri turnoff (State Highway 10) at Pakaraka junction (12 minutes / 13.3 kms)
Turn right onto State Highway 10 towards and past Kerikeri until you reach the Matauri Bay turn off on your right (26 minutes / 33.1 kms)
Turn right onto Matauri Bay Road
Follow Matauri Bay Road until you see the sign for "Kauri Cliffs" (12 minutes / 12.3 kms)
Turn right onto Tepene Tablelands Road which leads to the lodge

:mrgreen:

Courty
18th March 2009, 09:21 PM
Here's (http://www.newzealandnz.co.nz/golf-course-regions/auckland.html) some useful info.

Moe Norman
18th March 2009, 09:45 PM
Gulf Harbour is about 45 mins drive from memory.

Pretty spectacular site, not much of a course if you are into architecture - but spectacular all the same.

Andrew
19th March 2009, 05:54 AM
Mac,

Kauri Cliffs is a bit of a drive, but very do-able. It's expensive, but definitely worth one round. Unfortunately, I played two rounds there so now believe it to be quite overrated.

In Auckland, I love Titirangi. It's been a few years since I played, but I am told (from an extrememly reliable friend) that the redesign work a couple of years ago went very well. Not as spectacular as Kauri Cliff, but architecturally better.

Personally, I think you should play both.

Avoid Middlemore (Auckland GC) like the plague, unless you are into extremely average.

Scottt
19th March 2009, 06:11 AM
Mac,
In Auckland, I love Titirangi. It's been a few years since I played, but I am told (from an extrememly reliable friend) that the redesign work a couple of years ago went very well.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/titirangi.html

Andrew
19th March 2009, 01:11 PM
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/titirangi.html

Yes, that would be the extremely reliable friend.

dc68
19th March 2009, 02:02 PM
Titirangi. Played there in '03 nice traditional track.

Helped that they are reciprocal with my club.

Johnny Canuck
19th March 2009, 02:14 PM

Helped that they are reciprocal with my club.

That place looks fantastic.

I played at Formosa, which is about 45 minutes outside of Auckland. A very nice, resort style course.

dc68
19th March 2009, 02:41 PM
Also played Formosa during the same trip. Good track.

If you really want a game on a top track get to Wairakei near Taupo.
Absolutely the prettiest course I have ever played.

Johnny Canuck
19th March 2009, 03:02 PM
Also played Formosa during the same trip. Good track.

I was going to say the same thing myself. Only 250km outside of Auckland.

When I was there, Golf Digest had given it the ranking of 16th best in the world, outside of the USA.

Fantastic track!

Andrew
19th March 2009, 03:09 PM

I think you'll find it has taken a couple steps up since then due to the re-working

Andrew
19th March 2009, 03:14 PM
It's worth a hit, but I was dissappointed last time I played there. I first played it 20 years ago & it was probably the no.1 track in NZ. When I last played it I was saddened to see some of the changes they had made over the years.

Andrew
19th March 2009, 03:16 PM
When I was there, Golf Digest had given it the ranking of 16th best in the world, outside of the USA.

I think that might have been one of the GD lists I was involved with. 16th was quite flattering, but you would not believe how those lists are tabled.