PDA

View Full Version : Shaft kick at impact.

gazgolf1
18th March 2009, 03:43 PM
We've all heard someone say how they could really feel a shaft kick at impact and for me the VS Proto in my driver is the best shaft I've used in the big stick but I can't say I've ever felt it really kick through impact.
It probably feels something like picture 6.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g32/gazgolf1/cink.jpg

Bubba Watson has a swing sequence in the latest Golf Digest and his shaft at impact looks the same as Cinks.
Everyone says that the PGA Tour long hitters are bigger and stronger and are all swinging 460cc drivers but I reckon I could pick up a few metres too if my driver shaft looked like that impact.
Photo experts feel free to enlarge pic 6.

Jarro
18th March 2009, 03:48 PM
Gaz, you should try the MT460 with the DVS ... you can really feel that sucker kick :)

gazgolf1
18th March 2009, 03:54 PM
Gaz, you should try the MT460 with the DVS ... you can really feel that sucker kick :)

Yeah thats why you bought that 425 and are right this second dreaming about an R9. ;)

Jarro
18th March 2009, 03:57 PM
Yeah thats why you bought that 425 and are right this second dreaming about an R9. ;)

Well, i bought the R7 so i could have a driver to try different shafts in ..... but i'm not interested in an R9 at all.

:---)

gazgolf1
18th March 2009, 03:58 PM
Well, i bought the R7 so i could have a driver to try different shafts in ..... but i'm not interested in an R9 at all.

:---)

Mines up at the Holland Park PO waiting to be picked up. ;)

Jarro
18th March 2009, 03:59 PM
Mines up at the Holland Park PO waiting to be picked up. ;)

8)

Whatcha doin tomorrow ?

gazgolf1
18th March 2009, 03:59 PM
Working. :(

Jarro
18th March 2009, 04:03 PM
I can take it out for a test drive for you if you like ?

:mrgreen:

Toolish
18th March 2009, 04:03 PM
From all reports that look is not real. It is a result of the way a camera operates.

virge666
18th March 2009, 04:54 PM
From all reports that look is not real. It is a result of the way a camera operates.

Exactly.

Check out Tiger's swing video in stupid slow motion.. The shaft kicks down and forward during the release but no where near as much as that.

razaar
18th March 2009, 07:31 PM
It is centrifugal force which is the opposite to centripedal force; it acts downwards and outwards through contact. It bends the shaft out to the ball, while the inertia in the ball (wants to stay on the ground) bends it back again. It has the effect through contact of forcing the hands and wrists into an arch which bows out the shaft and forcing the toe of the club down and the heel of the club up to the player. Some players compensate by holding the heel to the ball at address, VJ and Fuzzy come to mind. If you have a very fast swing speed and swing from out to in,you are in deep shit because of the effects of centrifugal force.

Jarro
18th March 2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for us razaar.

:-s

gazgolf1
18th March 2009, 08:04 PM
So the shaft is not unloading into the ball at impact?

Scottt
18th March 2009, 08:13 PM
I have a mag here with swing stills from a long drive champ. The shaft kick is nuts. I'll try to scan them or find an online link.

Golfnut
18th March 2009, 11:08 PM
.......If you have a very fast swing speed and swing from out to in,you are in deep shit because of the effects of centrifugal force.

Yikes !! :( :shock: What will happen?

Dotty
18th March 2009, 11:13 PM
Yikes !! :( :shock: What will happen?
If you hit it at exactly 88mph, the ball will go back in time.

Toolish
18th March 2009, 11:23 PM

According to all I have read (any in form a physics perspective it makes sense) the shaft will only unload until a point where the COG of the clubhead is inline with the grip end of the shaft. Basically the club is trying to make itself into a straight line from grip through the COG of the head. Once it has got the that point you would have to be actively flipping and slowing the hands to get any further...not a good idea at all, and I am not even sure it would "unload" the shaft in the way you are looking for.

virge666
18th March 2009, 11:30 PM

Gaz - not really and yes. :smt087:smt087

Remember that on the downswing - the club shaft and head are ROTATING. Got it - ROTATING. Not in a straight line... ROTATING !

Important that bit. The rotating bit.

As you release or rotate the club head the head droops down because of the COG of the head. Remember - that is in the back of the driver head now. The COG is not on the end of the shaft - it is on the back of the driver head.

As you rotate the shaft into impact, the COG of the head and the bottom of the shaft all line up or thereabouts, depending on how good you are.

Hence you get the droop down and the kick forward.

It is all inertia and gravity - the shaft is NOT flexed back before impact. hence the term kick point - the point of the shaft that KICKS forward.

Enjoy

gazgolf1
19th March 2009, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the explanation gents.:smt119

Scottt
19th March 2009, 06:31 AM
Here's the long drive king's shaft kick that I was talking about

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/fc1010a496.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

gazgolf1
19th March 2009, 06:56 AM
Yikes. :smt119

Scottt
19th March 2009, 07:09 AM
You're loving that new smiley, eh Gaz?!

henno
19th March 2009, 07:10 AM
That's the one for kids that can't afford alcopops, so they buy a few party buscuits instead.

Scottt
19th March 2009, 07:12 AM
It would be useful in the top 10 thread over at TGF :lol:

3oneday
19th March 2009, 07:25 AM
That guy's hands have moved all of two feet from pic one to pic two, no wonder these guys snap shafts !