PDA

View Full Version : Greenside Chipping

AndyP
20th December 2004, 09:04 AM
:?: How does everyone setup for and play greenside chips?

I have been keeping my feet close together, opening the stance and playing the ball from my back foot or even further back, to make sure I am not hitting the deck behind the ball.

I'm really not feeling comfortable doing this at the moment, and I am having some mixed results. I think I may have been slowly adjusting it over time, and it's probably all screwed up now. :smt102

Not sure if this is an area where there are lots of different styles, but I would be interested to hear how everyone else goes about it, regardless of whether it is the proper technique or not.

Fishman Dan
20th December 2004, 09:16 AM
Depends on the shot type..

Close to fringe (or off a poor lie) i use the PW - sometimes 8-iron. The shot isn't much more than a putt, but i pick a spot to land the ball so it will check and roll. I set up a little open, feet apart, ball on the right foot. I want to make contact with the ball on the down-swing, reduces the chance of a duff (from Aust Golf Digest about a year ago?).

The ball doesn't get much/any height, i'm not trying to get cute (easiest way to knife it through the green), and i keep my wrists firm.

I'm using a Precept U-Tri Tour at the moment, and find them awesome for around the greens, because they check pretty hard and roll/stop, so you can be a little more aggressive. As my (well documented) iron play has been so crap, i have tended to rely on the short game in recent weeks, and to good effect.

Onewood
20th December 2004, 09:26 AM
:?: How does everyone setup for and play greenside chips?

Not sure if this is an area where there are lots of different styles, but I would be interested to hear how everyone else goes about it, regardless of whether it is the proper technique or not.

I believe there are many diff. ways of attacking this one.

What club do you use :?:
How far from the edge of the green are we talking :?:
Have we got much green to play with :?:
is it uphill or down hill :?:

lots of questions but each shot could be used with a diff club, [high, low, spin or chip and run]

Lets say I'm 3/5mts of the edge with plenty of green to work with. I go with pitching wedge and get the ball on the ground as quick as possible and let it run to the hole, using a putting stroke

Same shot with little green to work with I go with my 56 sandwedge and lob it half way to the pin

I allways try to keep my bottom half dead still and follow through to my landing area.

As you say everyone will be a little different :D

AndyP
20th December 2004, 09:49 AM
I was thinking more of the running style of chipping, as opposed to a flop type. I also play it like a putting stroke with the arms. If there is less or more room to work with then I just change to a different lofted club.

Onewood
20th December 2004, 09:59 AM
One other thing, PRACTICE :wink: :D

Fishman Dan
20th December 2004, 10:09 AM
I was thinking more of the running style of chipping, as opposed to a flop type. I also play it like a putting stroke with the arms. If there is less or more room to work with then I just change to a different lofted club.

You remember the old 'Test Match' - where you roll the ball-bearing down the bowlers chute, and as the batsman you have to hit it across the felt mat? The only moving parts on the batsmen were waist-up, shoulders locked. That's the model i kinda use...

McMw
20th December 2004, 10:17 AM
chipping is too personal....

but if you ever need to practice a technique....try practicing (at the chipping green) forming a straight line with your left arm and club shaft , just after POI..

this way...you're always practicing a downward motion/hit on the ball, and by trying to get that straight arm-shaft combination, you'll also eliminate the "scooping" tendency with the right hand/wrist...

I learnt this from a advisory tip from Craig Parry in one of the very old aus golf magazine...seems to work nicely...