PDA

View Full Version : About to step on a snake ....

TheTrueReview
17th March 2009, 11:03 PM
That's right. There I was last Saturday at Logan. Near the green on a par 4. I moved to the side of the fairway while my playing partner lined up her approach shot. I was about to step on a 2 to 3 foot 'twig' when all of a sudden it came to life & popped its head up.

I then do a version of "Crouching Tiger, Flying Golfer" & manage to reverse levitate with accompanying unrepeatable commentary.

Said snake disappears. Some golfers waiting at the next tee come over to try & find the snake (still scratching my head about why they would want to). Fugitive snake is found making good its escape by climbing vertically up the trunk of a nearby tree.

Has anyone had a similar experience on a course?

Courty
17th March 2009, 11:07 PM
It's a regular occurrence up here. I'd say once every 3 or 4 weeks I see a snake on the course.

Scottt
17th March 2009, 11:11 PM
Only snake I see on the course is when I take a leak ;)

TheTrueReview
17th March 2009, 11:14 PM
Only snake I see on the course is when I take a leak ;)

Sounds dangerous. Better snap its head off. :lol:

Scottt
17th March 2009, 11:16 PM
Whenever I grab it to try, it spits venom at me...

TheTrueReview
17th March 2009, 11:26 PM
It's a regular occurrence up here. I'd say once every 3 or 4 weeks I see a snake on the course.

The only other occasion for me was last year at Logan while preparing to tee off on the 10th. Small red bellied black snake comes crawling out of the reeds onto the tee off area. My elderly father yells "kill it" & starts approaching with his Cobra driver (yes, I picked the irony) but a waiting golfer moves swiftly across & shepherds the snake back into the reeds by thumping the ground with his driver.

Then it was back to normal programming.

henno
18th March 2009, 06:52 AM
I saw a huge carpet snake catching some rays un Sunday at Indooroopilly. It must have been as thick as my arm and 7-8 feet long.

It was sitting on a drain/grating thing all coiled up. I stood right next to it (only being a carpet snake) and watched it slide back into the drain to hunt for rats, or whatever it feeds on down there.

Jarro
18th March 2009, 07:07 AM
I once saw a rather large red-belly black in the grass behind the 15th tee at Nudgee North.

Looked happy just sitting there near the creek, catching some rays 8)

Coffs_Hacker
18th March 2009, 08:44 AM
6ft red belly, 2ft from my ball at bonville. Took an unplayable drop 16 club lengths :)

Scottt
18th March 2009, 08:50 AM
I saw one on the 6th at Bonville, just in front of the tee. Big f**ker.

sms316
18th March 2009, 09:02 AM
Then got the call up from behind that there was a ****in big cobra in the vicinity yesterday..man I moved fast.
Probably an Ultramid.

LarryLong
18th March 2009, 09:56 AM
6ft red belly, 2ft from my ball at bonville. Took an unplayable drop 16 club lengths :)

Sounds like a fair ruling to me. :)

Johnny Canuck
18th March 2009, 10:02 AM
I still reckon I am yet to see a live snake on a golf course in about 30 years of golf.

Was on my very first site visit to a new course under construction many years ago in malaysia when I got out the 4wd and roam around. Then got the call up from behind that there was a ****in big cobra in the vicinity yesterday..man I moved fast.

You need more rounds at Kennedy. This year has been the worst by far.

One round, we watched a Tiger snake chase, catch and eat mice in a bunker on 9 and then saw two more on the 10th before we had walked 200m. I stayed far away from the scrub that round.

Normally in a year I would see between 6-8 I would reckon.

This year is definately in the high teens.

Toolish
18th March 2009, 10:09 AM

There is a ruling about dangerous animals and a free drop at nearest safe point.

I have never seen a snake on course which is surprising given the area I live in. See goanna's every round I play in summer though.

jaybam
18th March 2009, 10:43 AM
Bugger the golf course i see enough of these at home. Had a six foot red belly go under the kids trampoline a few weeks back then a couple of weeks ago we had an eastern brown come in the garage. Got the garden hoe sharpened up real nice now with the angle grinder makes it easier to cut their heads off.

mikezone13
18th March 2009, 11:14 AM
My mate drove over (accidently) a snake playing Emerald Downs at Port Macquarie, as they slammed ont he brakes after going over it reared up and by all accounts shat themselves.. ish I was there.

But I do get a bit concerned whenever I see signs saying "beware of snakes" (first tee at Wakehurst springs to mind) but I've never been lucky/unlucky enough to spot a snake in real life (outside of a zoo), let alone on a golf course in my 10 years in Aus.

Jarro
18th March 2009, 02:20 PM
I almost stood on a 6 foot green tree snake today. He was slithering along the path between the 7th green and 8th tee at Nudgee. Beautiful looking thing ... must've been stalking the mob of rainbow lorikeets in the trees above

Julie
18th March 2009, 03:07 PM
One popped its head up at me on the 14th at Mossman, I screamed so much it came after me, I then screamed and swung my club at it while trying to run away from it. The group ahead of us, came back a million miles an hour in their buggies as they thought I had been bitten, because I carried on so much.:oops:

Last week I rang over one, but I didn't even see it as I was chatting away and talking too much.:oops::lol:

BrisVegas
18th March 2009, 03:23 PM
we get the usual browns and red-belly blacks at the course. I almost stood on a little green tree snake the other day. They're harmless, but still scared the hell out of me when i saw it slithering away from my foot.

Grunt
18th March 2009, 08:11 PM
Seen a fair few around Sydney. Mac Grange had a Brown come up the steps and sun it's self on the Balcony. Also have seen a few Red Bellies out at Glenmore.

Xray
18th March 2009, 09:42 PM
I was playing a game at Carbrook, just after Christmas, damn hot day, can't remember the hole but I saw a black snake just in the rough. It was cruising along and these birds kept swooping down and attacking it, snake would stop, pop it's head up and look and turn then go a bit more.

I think the snake got away in the thick stuff.

Flowergirl
18th March 2009, 09:50 PM
Nearly stood on one at Barnbougle. I stepped over it and it moved under where I was going to put my other foot down. I nearly fell on the poor thing.
We have a few tiger snakes on my home course. Saw a big one around Xmas and it made me hit a lot straighter for some time:shock:

dc68
19th March 2009, 11:48 AM
Whenever I grab it to try, it spits venom at me...

Bit premature if it happens when you try to grab it. Usually should take a bit of grappling.

Hux
19th March 2009, 07:51 PM
A rather fitting topic with some moron at Eagleby getting wacked 3 times after he tried to pick up a red bellied black he had just run over on his push bike.
Small gene pool?

And then whilst walking the dogs yesterday I stepped on a small keel back which turned around and wacked me on the ankle.....bloody things. I hate snakes!!

Johnny Canuck
19th March 2009, 08:09 PM
One popped its head up at me on the 14th at Mossman, I screamed so much it came after me, I then screamed and swung my club at it while trying to run away from it. The group ahead of us, came back a million miles an hour in their buggies as they thought I had been bitten, because I carried on so much.:oops:

Last week I rang over one, but I didn't even see it as I was chatting away and talking too much.:oops::lol:

I don't think it came at you because of the screaming, they don't have ears!

TheTrueReview
19th March 2009, 10:35 PM
A rather fitting topic with some moron at Eagleby getting wacked 3 times after he tried to pick up a red bellied black he had just run over on his push bike.
Small gene pool?

That would happen to be this fellow ...

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp2/thetruereview01/Blacksnakestory.png

Not one of our brightest specimens.