PDA

View Full Version : Reverse overlap grip

razaar
16th March 2009, 08:06 AM
It seems the reverse overlap grip, left pinky over the right pinky, is being used by players on the US Champions Tour. Might give it a trial as it has a nice feel to it.

sms316
16th March 2009, 08:08 AM
Wouldn't it be right index over left pinky?

3oneday
16th March 2009, 08:08 AM
left pinky over the right pinky
is that possible ? My hands are confused :lol:

henno
16th March 2009, 08:12 AM

Yes it would. Pinky-over-pinky would be quite the contortion.

sms316
16th March 2009, 08:20 AM
Actually it would be left index over right pinky. I was thinking like a lefty.

henno
16th March 2009, 08:22 AM
Well, it is probably best described as index-over-pinky rather than pinky-over-index.

3oneday
16th March 2009, 08:30 AM
Is this for full shots or chipping ?? now that we have established what grip it is :lol:

razaar
16th March 2009, 08:53 AM
:oops: Feels really good into the follow through. Should be good for chipping & pitching as well. Yep left index finger over right pinky...fits in well with those players who set the club behind the ball with the right hand; it is very easy with this grip to add the left hand. The advantage of setting up with the right hand is the shoulder set is easier to get right to cater for the right hand being beneath the left on the club.

sms316
16th March 2009, 09:13 AM
Did Steve Jones win a US Open with this grip?

razaar
16th March 2009, 09:29 AM
Did Steve Jones win a US Open with this grip?
Shaun, you could be right. I copied this off the US Open site about Jones.
1996: After spending nearly three years off TOUR due to ligament and joint damage to left ring finger suffered on Nov. 25, 1991 in dirt-bike accident, completed comeback with victory in U.S. Open at Oakland Hills.

mike
16th March 2009, 02:00 PM
left pinky over the right pinky

I tried this and dislocated my shoulder.

Thanks a heap, Razaar.

razaar
16th March 2009, 02:24 PM
I tried this and dislocated my shoulder.

Thanks a heap, Razaar.
:lol:

goughy
16th March 2009, 05:33 PM
I've been using this since before the 2007 champs! I was having trouble setting up my club square, but with my putting grip (2 finger reverse overlap) I found it really easy. So Initially I just started out using my putting grip to set the club square then changing to normal overlap, but then one day decided to just stick with the single reverse overlap. It feels really normal to me.

Rusty
19th March 2009, 04:47 PM
interesting. i've been liking playing with the "2 hand/baseball" grip recently, and i guess this is just a furthering of that. i think the correct balance of which combination of fingers on the club is an individual thing. for me, i need more right hand & less left hand on the club, to help turn over the face. of course, this will affect my swing as well, so i'll have to experiment.

razaar
19th March 2009, 06:05 PM
Gave it a test on the practice fairway today, Rusty, and it worked like a charm. The aspects that I like about it is it removes the option of long thumb or short thumb in the left hand and gives the left hand much more freedom than I had previously with the vardon grip. I have always struggled with keeping pressure out of the thumb/forefinger in the left hand to keep tightness out of the forearm and shoulder. With the reverse overlap you are required to hang on with the last three fingers removing the potential problem of the thumb/forefinger. I hit about 100 balls with the 7-iron, the average grouping finishing 5 metres longer than what I can hit using the vardon grip. There seems to be more control with this grip in taking the club back on plane and more power with the right hand and right side past impact to finish, in my case anyway. The real test will be with the driver and 3-metal.

Rusty
26th March 2009, 10:36 AM
tried it on the practice range last week. for me, just hurts my right pinky, and no noticeable difference in flight or dispersion. back to baseball for me. good to try it though.