PDA

View Full Version : Indooroopilly - new holes

dwayne
15th March 2009, 09:36 PM
I have a game in a corporate day at Indooroopilly this Friday. I believe it has been changed a little of late. Has anyone played there recently? What did you think of the changes? No doubt it has made the course harder?

Moe Norman
15th March 2009, 09:42 PM
Not sure if they are completely finished, but the Red 9 only has 3 of the old holes still in play.

I wouldn't say it's definitely harder, although there is now significantly more water in play and the greens are hard as rocks as they haven't settled down yet.

razaar
16th March 2009, 04:36 AM
Played it yesterday. The changes make much better use of the land available to the club, making it a wonderful test of golf. The west course is now IMO as tough as any course in Qld...it is way too long for me (at my stage in life) from the championship tees. I got tired of hitting long irons & woods into greens designed to take short to mid iron shots. The greens have lots of subtle undulations that can mess with your putting and chipping. Negotiating your way around the greens has been made much more difficult with several bunkers located around the approaches to the greens to catch a short shot and to prevent the running shot finishing within putting distance.
Not sure how the members will accept the changes, they now have a championship course, not sure if they will enjoy playing it week to week - especially the older guys.

henno
16th March 2009, 06:48 AM
I take it you were playing in the pennants yesterday, razaar. :-)

Dwayne, you're not playing on the members course (west) which razaar and moe are talking about, as the corporate day is on the east course (green and blue).

Still a fine course, but far, far easier than the red and gold nines. (Although the par 4 17th is a loooong hole from the back tees. I consider a par like a birdie for me there. I am rarely on in two, as it is still a wood or hybrid into the green from the dogleg.)

razaar
16th March 2009, 07:16 AM
I was henno, it was bloody tough.:)
Actually now that I think about the changes, it frees up land for real estate development and public access, which will pay for the new work once the market recovers. Maybe even cater for a small gift or two to local government...:shock:.

I failed to mention the vast increase in water storage the club now has following the changes.

henno
16th March 2009, 07:23 AM
Yep. All of that is true. I can't wait for the red 9 to play as a par 36 again though.

I was playing only a few groups in front of you guys. And eventhough I always shoot a worse score on the west course, I always enjoy it. (Although I plugged two in the water for my first two shots of the day on the red 1st - that was a little disheartening to say the least. Off the tee for 5, and in for an 8 for what should have been an easy par.)

Moe Norman
16th March 2009, 07:39 PM
Played it yesterday. The changes make much better use of the land available to the club, making it a wonderful test of golf. The west course is now IMO as tough as any course in Qld...it is way too long for me (at my stage in life) from the championship tees. I got tired of hitting long irons & woods into greens designed to take short to mid iron shots. The greens have lots of subtle undulations that can mess with your putting and chipping. Negotiating your way around the greens has been made much more difficult with several bunkers located around the approaches to the greens to catch a short shot and to prevent the running shot finishing within putting distance.
Not sure how the members will accept the changes, they now have a championship course, not sure if they will enjoy playing it week to week - especially the older guys.they already had a chamionship course, it was the composite course, and was bloody tough (not that difficulty = quality...)

dwayne
18th March 2009, 10:02 PM
my mate told me were playing the new course on Friday, I'll let you know after the event

henno
19th March 2009, 06:01 AM
I've seen the booking. You're definately playing the East course. I guess "new" will depend on when the last time he played indro was.

dwayne
19th March 2009, 03:38 PM
I've seen the booking. You're definately playing the East course. I guess "new" will depend on when the last time he played indro was.

how have you seen the booking do you work there or something?

PeteyD
19th March 2009, 03:44 PM
Nah he is just a first rate pervert.

henno
19th March 2009, 06:25 PM
I'm outside your window right now...

henno
19th March 2009, 06:27 PM
In all seriousness, it's the St Andrews Corp Day I assume?

You are starting at the 10th (blue 9) and then back to the 1st (green 9).

Moe Norman
19th March 2009, 07:24 PM
The Blue 9 is the front of the east, so that would be the 1st.

not that it matters when you have 7 configurations, or maybe they only have 6 now after the changes?

henno
19th March 2009, 07:28 PM
They only have 6: East, West, Captains, Presidents, Long Pocket, and River.

And green is always first in the East course these days. In the last year, I have only played blue first once. (And only because there was work on the green 9 in the A.M.)

PeteyD
19th March 2009, 08:04 PM
Does the blue start with the short par 4?

Moe Norman
19th March 2009, 08:08 PM
East, West, Presidents, Captains, Long Pocket, River & Composite = 7.

Not sure if composite is in play now, but it used to follow the following configuration and was primarily used for the Indooroopilly jug and was used a few times for the QLD Amateur. A few people wanted it used in the matchplay rounds of club champs, but it never happened.

Front 9:
5 Green (Par 4!), 6 Green, 8 Green, 9 Green, 1 Red (Par 3), 2 Red, 3 Red, 8 Red, 9 Red

Back 9:
Blue 1, Blue 2, Gold 3, Gold 4, Gold 9, Gold 1, Blue 3, Blue 4, Blue 9

My memory is a bit hazy though, so that might be a few holes out.

Jontea
25th March 2009, 09:03 PM
It's a real pity that they can't get the courses to a top standard all year round. More often than not, something around the place is sub-standard, in looks. Just makes the joint look cheap to often.