PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 9th March

Grunt
13th March 2009, 03:49 PM
Wow Friday and I start this thread.

I played in the Peter Lonard Cup this morning at Oatlands. Yet another poor score, just could not putt. Also the old common slice is now regular hooks, man it is scary to miss 20m left. Hopefully it is a good thing, turning the slice into a hook, and not something that will see me have to start a whole new series of lessons and drills.

Stats

Gross 98
Nett 80
Stab 26
3 Fwys
0 GIR :(
37 Putts (5x 3 Putts:()
0/12 Up & Downs
0/2 Sand Saves

Next Game tomorrow @ Wentworth Falls with Jimandr

Eag's
13th March 2009, 03:52 PM
Wow Friday and I start this thread.

I played in the Peter Lonard Cup this morning at Oatlands. Yet another poor score, just could not putt. Also the old common slice is now regular hooks, man it is scary to miss 20m left. Hopefully it is a good thing, turning the slice into a hook, and not something that will see me have to start a whole new series of lessons and drills.

Stats

Gross 98
Nett 80
Stab 26
3 Fwys
0 GIR :(
37 Putts (5x 3 Putts:()
0/12 Up & Downs
0/2 Sand Saves

Next Game tomorrow @ Wentworth Falls with Jimandr

Might be an idea to spend some time on the short game eh Grant?

Grunt
13th March 2009, 04:06 PM
Might be an idea to spend some time on the short game eh Grant?

Super quick & hard greens were tough, I was just missing the 1st putt then making poor efforts on the 2 to 4 foot return putts. Went from chances at par to double bogie. Short game does leave pretty quick when you don't play that often, it should come back, fingers crossed.

Courty
13th March 2009, 06:43 PM
Played 9 late this arve with Haysey & Cookie. We were under siege by nincompoop social players. We had balls landing all around us without warning. Some numbskull mistook my $8 TMTP for his Hot Dot and chopped it 200m down his hole before Haysey cornered him. The turkey playing on his own in front of us was holding us up as he hit 6 balls on each hole. And then a deliverance type who couldn't count came from the 14th green and pushed in front of us on the 17th tee. He then proceeded to cold-top not once, but twice, before sauntering off down the fairway without acknowledging our presence. :smt013 :smt093 :evil:

Still it could have been worse, we could have had to put up with Solarmans company. :mrgreen:

PeteyD
13th March 2009, 07:06 PM
Played like steady eddy today, until I worked out that I had closed the stance up a fair bit. Hopefully better tomorrow.

haysey
13th March 2009, 07:06 PM
Deadset bunch of nutters out there this arvo. That deliverance dude scared me:shock:

Still no worse than a round with Solarman however:D

Scottt
13th March 2009, 07:42 PM
Also the old common slice is now regular hooks, man it is scary to miss 20m left. Hopefully it is a good thing, turning the slice into a hook.

Yeah, I've always felt that when I start missing it both ways I am on the cusp of something special. :lol:

OOB left on #2 and #3 at Wenty Falls...

LarryLong
13th March 2009, 07:52 PM
Had a round at Tocumwal this morning with Wifey surprising me by agreeing to ride in the golf cart and let me play a round on our holiday. Went around a corner too fast in the cart and made my wife scream (insert mandatory ten-year marriage joke here), which got a good laugh from a few blokes on the adjacent green. :)

My breakthrough round from last week gradually faded into the distance as I shot 97. Drove really well, but my second shots were woeful and I putted like crap. Ah well.

I also found out that my wife is the only person in the world I could forgive for saying "watch out for the ducks" as I started my backswing on the third tee. Marriage means never having to say you're sorry or observe proper etiquette on the golf course, it would appear. :-$

razaar
13th March 2009, 08:12 PM
Played 9 late this arve with Haysey & Cookie. We were under siege by nincompoop social players. We had balls landing all around us without warning. Some numbskull mistook my $8 TMTP for his Hot Dot and chopped it 200m down his hole before Haysey cornered him. The turkey playing on his own in front of us was holding us up as he hit 6 balls on each hole. And then a deliverance type who couldn't count came from the 14th green and pushed in front of us on the 17th tee. He then proceeded to cold-top not once, but twice, before sauntering off down the fairway without acknowledging our presence. :smt013 :smt093 :evil:

Still it could have been worse, we could have had to put up with Solarmans company. :mrgreen:
Cairns GC??

Courty
13th March 2009, 08:27 PM
Cairns GC??

Yep, the usual Friday afternoon social-players that wander about like brown's cows. :roll:

AndyP
14th March 2009, 08:16 AM
Wow Friday and I start this thread.FG had a round this week, but posted in the wrong thread. My plans to play during the week fell in a heap. :(

razaar
14th March 2009, 09:17 AM
Tomorrow is the day I am to get my new body...one that will be pain free when I swing a golf club. It will be 8 weeks to the day into a fairly agressive flexibility program I started to recover some form to make the masters pennant team this year. Haven't played pennants for a few years because my body wouldn't allow it.

Courty
14th March 2009, 03:42 PM
An enjoyable day was had up at Atherton GC this morning. It was a strange round. I either hit the ball beautifully, or woefully. There didn't seem to be any middle ground. Something that surprised me when I did the stats just now was that I hit 13 greens in reg. Unfortunately my putting wasn't good enough to convert that into what could have been a great score. As it was I had 34 pts, but with seven 1 pointers.

79 gross
34 pts

8 fairways
13 greens
36 putts :oops:

3 birdies
6 pars
6 bogies
3 doubles

adlo
14th March 2009, 04:53 PM
Played a 3ball elimination Ambrose with rebjon and Johnny Canuck today. Picture perfect weather and a bloody enjoyable day to be had. Quite enjoyed the format.

Team "Johnnie Walker UV Gra-MANG" shot 67 for a nett 61 2/3. Looks like we are going to pick up second place.

Rebjon and Johnny Canuck were on fire off the tee for most of the day, which suited me and my wayward driving just fine. Johnny Canuck should show up seriously hung over more often :lol:

We were a few shaved holes away from a decent score. Oh well mang, had a good time mang.

jimandr
14th March 2009, 06:05 PM
A rubbish round for 29 points at Wentworth Falls today with Grunt. It's a fairly easy course, and today it had sponge pudding soft greens, so it is the type of place I should do well at, but I didn't. My first shot from the ground was a shank, but I didn't hit any others, thankfully. Driving bad, chipping bad, putting bad.

Fairways = 4 of 13
Greens in reg = 7 of 18
Putts = 38, two 3putts, zero birdies
Up/Down = zero, Sand Saves = zero

However, had a really enjoyable day, so who cares about the golf.

Grunt
14th March 2009, 06:19 PM
Another rubbish round from myself but there was light at the end of the tunnel. I think I have worked out what I was doing wrong with the drives and actually hit a few good ones today. Short game was better than yesterday, a fair few one putts and only one 3 putt.
I have to say I play better playing regular golf and if I can't do it I guess I just will have to blow out to a handicap that I can play too.

More Stats to come.

29 points
31 putts

Ned
14th March 2009, 09:51 PM
Gailes GC - Saturday 14th

Single Stableford

40 points (Played 10th first nine)

18 / 22 points

GIR 7
FIR 3
Putts 26 (with one pick up hole)
2 birdies

Greens were far superior then Brisbane GC on Friday (And the Australian Womans Amateur starts at BGC next Wednesday.

Had 35 points at Brisbane on Friday the 13th (Too wasted Friday night to recall all the Stats)

Had 29 points at North Lakes on Thursday. (Too wasted Wednesday night to be able to even stand up properly Thursday)

AlexMc
14th March 2009, 09:54 PM
Today was bullshit...we've had Preferred Lies on for a while because we've had no rain for months...we get about 10mm and the new captain wants to throw some authority around so preferred lies are off...then we get an inch of rain last night so the fairways - which were nowhere near ready for playing off the deck - were just piles of mud...add to that cored greens that were more sand than grass and you get an unhappy day. The only thing that made me happy was that it pissed down rain for the afternoon players.

27 points for what it was worth...91 off the stick playing off 11.

TheNuclearOne
14th March 2009, 11:32 PM
Another fruitful day. Playing off new handicap 12 down from 15.4 3 comps ago.

We do the harder back 9 first.

Boge, par, boge start. Par, par, boge, boge, bird, par.
39, 3 over par and 22 stabe points first 9. 4 pars and a bird.

Par, par to start the next 9. 28 points for 11. Duff a standard chip from 3 meters short of the next green and 3 putt for a dub. OB next drive and a triple. Lip out for bird on index 1 next hole and take easy par. 1.11 meters from 135m on the next to win the 23 balls pro shot. I miss the f***ing putt lmao. Dub on the next as i lost intensity then par, boge.

37 points, 82 off the stick with two bad errors and a lazy finish. 9 pars and a bird. 28 putts.

Played a 2 man fun ambrose on the back 9 not long after and went par with a 20 capper, never drove the ball better for 9 holes. 6 great drives out of 7 with many holes demanding and we birdied off my worst one. Golf is fun.

mikezone13
15th March 2009, 09:08 AM
-4 in a par game.

- driving was fantastic (long and straight nearly all day)
- irons were woeful (only 4 GIR)
- 32 putts (no 3 putts)
- 4/14 up and down :(

Best of the day is that I won the front 9 cash and split the 18 hole cash from my playing partners in a 10-10-10 :)

Flowergirl
15th March 2009, 01:34 PM
2nd round of pennant on Thursady at Mt Martha public course. It came down in buckets on the first nine then hot and steamy on the back nine.
Couldn't hit a decent tee or fairway shot all day but my short game saved me. Ended up 1 down going into the 18th and parred it for the win. Another square. I had a metre putt to make and seeing the women I played wouldn't give me any putts all day - she made me hole a 6 inch putt after I ahd given her the 1 footer.:shock: Well - with all the practise she had given me I had no trouble making the putt to square the game and the match.

Played at Safety Beach on Friday. The course is only 10 mins from home and I've always been told that it isn't worth playing - but it's not too bad at all. I had 33 points - I was a bit tired seeing that I had played 6 days out of 7. Three wipes - just lost focus - but the rest of the game was ok.
That was my one and only game off 13. Still - 14 sounds pretty good.;)

Playing at Rosebud Country Club on Tuesday, Carrington on Wed, Carrington again Thursday and Sorrento on Friday. :smt060

AndyP
15th March 2009, 01:49 PM
It seems like you have a nice matchplay record going, Reenie. Have you worked out what it is?

.... played 6 days out of 7. Three wipes - just lost focus - but the rest of the game was ok.
Playing at Rosebud Country Club on Tuesday, Carrington on Wed, Carrington again Thursday and Sorrento on Friday. :smt060How's work going? :shock:

BrisWesty
15th March 2009, 07:54 PM
Irish 4 ball at Caboolture yesterday. 117 points across the 4 of us (good for a ball), but I had 35 stableford points - 31 putts

BrisVegas
15th March 2009, 07:57 PM
single stab today off the social tees! hacked it around, yet somehow managed 33 points (83 gross). I had 3 wipes in that and a heap of 1-pointers, so it was a mixed bag. I lost two balls on the first hole, then birdied the second (kick in), then a couple of pars, then 3 straight 1-pointers. The longest putt I made all day was about 2 feet. I 3-putted the 16th from 10 feet FFS. Then followed that up with a nice drive & 3 iron into the 17th for a birdie. I need to visit a psychologist and figure out what's going wrong in my head.

Ahh well, that's life hey! Will try again next week.

shawwwww
15th March 2009, 08:00 PM
Played in a stableford comp at Port Kennedy today as a visitor, they gave me 18hcp(they shouldnt have) i got 41pts(17/24), could not win because i was a visitor however, i tied 1st and would have won on the count back.

Came home strong with 3 birdies in a row and a bunch of pars, great day.

Diggaboy1
15th March 2009, 08:10 PM
Saturday I play the Mermaid Sigle stableford at Oxley and has 38 points.

Drove the ball sweet, great rythm today. Long and straight. Short game left a little to be desired.

11 FIR
6 GIR
1 Birdie
34 putts
8 Pars

But Stepped up today and hit 3 over off the stick on the front nine at Oxley and again didn't miss a fairway. Missed three putts.

Down to 11.9. I want single figures.
Match Play next week.

shazza_rs
15th March 2009, 08:14 PM
Single Stab at Nudgee
38 points for a win in the comp. Yay... handicap back down to 10.9... yay!

just
15th March 2009, 08:21 PM
Single Stab at Nudgee
38 points for a ball in the rundown. Boo... handicap didn't move... boo!

AndyP
15th March 2009, 08:22 PM
I've still got you by 0.1, Shaz. If you the handicap goes down a bit more, I might have to come out of semi-retirement....

Well done!

Scottt
16th March 2009, 05:46 AM
Planned to head down to Deal today with another bloke from London who has just joined Royal Cinque Ports. He offered me a lift, so I'm cheering the fact I have saved 25 quid on a train fare.

So anyway, I get up at 7am and get the Tube 50 minutes across the city to meet him, drive for 1h20 and just as we get off the motorway with about 15 mins to go the cabin starts filling with exhaust, we pull over and it's smoking like crazy, he rings roadside assist and they say they can only send a retrieval truck.

So we sit on the side of the road for another 40 minutes until the truck turns up, then head on back to London.

I was filthy. The missus rang to see that we'd arrived alright and I delivered the news "hey honey, better kick the back-up out cos I'll be home in 40 minutes" :lol:.

She could tell I was absolutely devastated and filthy. By the time I got home she had phoned to book us a room down there for the weekend after next so we can go down for the entire weekend. I really am the luckiest bloke going around!

At least it all means I didn't make a double or a triple today... :lol:

Jarro
16th March 2009, 05:47 AM
Single Stab at Nudgee

Single Stab at Nudgee
38 points for a ball in the rundown. Boo... handicap didn't move... boo!

Nice shooting peeps 8)

chappy1970
16th March 2009, 08:00 AM
Played PAR yesterday, it wasn't a great day weather wise in Melbourne yesterday, but very welcome rain.

Finished 2 down which was a fair result for the day and enough to get me a ball.

BUT I was 3 up with 6 to play, had a square and 5 wipes to finish the round....WTF happened.....wish I knew....if I knew, I'd probably be a better player.

Flowergirl
16th March 2009, 05:02 PM
Single Stab at Nudgee
Go Shazza - go Shazza - go Shazza!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mrgreen:

Flowergirl
16th March 2009, 05:02 PM
Played PAR yesterday, it wasn't a great day weather wise in Melbourne yesterday, but very welcome rain.

Finished 2 down which was a fair result for the day and enough to get me a ball.

BUT I was 3 up with 6 to play, had a square and 5 wipes to finish the round....WTF happened.....wish I knew....if I knew, I'd probably be a better player.

Ouch:smt093

Eag's
16th March 2009, 05:40 PM
Nice work Shaz & Just.

Dotty
16th March 2009, 06:09 PM
I think I broke 30 last Friday.

On holidays last week, looking after 18 cyclists going from Sydney to Mount Kosciuszko. Most were doing a bushwalk after the ride, but I dropped four of them off for 18 holes at Berridale (between Jindabyne and Cooma).

1. Best described as flat, dry, wide, long and dry, with lush greens. The rough is distinguished by a couple of lines of old sump oil, running the length of every fairway.

2. Couldn't phone the club for a game, as the clubhouse isn't used until 3.30pm. (Phoned Cooma pro instead, and he was kind enough to give us the details.)

3. I had brought down 28 old golf balls, and a benched 3w, 7w, 4i, SW and putter for the lads. They also helped themselves to donated 1970's clubs, bags, etc. from a tin shed. (Interestingly, not a single putter in the 20 'sets' available.)

4. Left $70 in the honesty box (4x$15 plus $10 for a rental set), and left the 4 once-a-season golfers to play ambrose (which they called 4-ball-best-ball :lol: ). Only two other people on the course.

5. I returned a few hours later with some soft drinks, expecting them to be on the back nine. I had a giggle at the 10th tee being watered with the same Nylex garden hose and sprinkler, as I have at home.

6. Eventually found them on the 8th, and they were sharing the only unbroken tee that they could find. And they hadn't lost any balls, as the fairways were that wide and no discernable rough.

7. So I joined them for the remaining 10 holes, fetching their wayward shots and occasionally hitting a ball off the tee and fairway, but not bothering to putt. (This explains the sub-30 score.)

8. I re-discovered how good it felt to hit a PGF Status WOOD off the tee again. (And the Spalding Executive 7 iron was ahead of its time!)

9. We had the pleasure of walking into the 'water' hazards to retrieve the balls, and not worrying about the ethics of taking a drop on the line BETWEEN the ball and the hole.

10. We've been doing the cycling week away for 15 years, and kept talking about doing something different after the ride. And I've never seen a group so happy after a five-plus hour round, on bare lies and slow greens.

We left the 28 old balls in the tin shed, beside their rental clubs. It doesn't hurt to help the next patrons of this community run course.

PeteyD
16th March 2009, 06:27 PM
Nice. I worked on a Berry farm at Berridale for a month or so while staying at Dalgety, in a camping ground on the Snowy River. Ah memories ...

TheNuclearOne
16th March 2009, 10:18 PM
Well it was only serious social today but i had my best round ever on a 18 hole course.

Had to deviate due to vets comp. Played 1-6, 10-18 and then 7-9.

3 over for 1-6.

Back 9 was a 3 over 39 with back to back birds on my two nemesis holes including a tap in. Was even par after 6 of them before choking a bit.

So i had 7-9 and was feeling the pinch a bit. Decided to play aggressive instead of wittling away the rest of my good score. I usually go ok on this patch. On in reg for all 3 and shaky two putts on all for a 38.

77 off the stick, 3 over a side with two doubles and two birds on the back.

10 pars and two birds i think it was. 27 putts. One missed from 2 feet. I should quit now, surely it can't get any better. Only had two drives today put me in any trouble whatsoever. My driving was my weakness 3 months back. Bring on the Holden Scrambles.

shazza_rs
17th March 2009, 07:50 PM
Dude, you're living in the past....

This is last weeks thread :)

dc68
17th March 2009, 08:12 PM
Well it was only serious social today but i had my best round ever on a 18 hole course.

Had to deviate due to vets comp. Played 1-6, 10-18 and then 7-9.

3 over for 1-6.

Back 9 was a 3 over 39 with back to back birds on my two nemesis holes including a tap in. Was even par after 6 of them before choking a bit.

So i had 7-9 and was feeling the pinch a bit. Decided to play aggressive instead of wittling away the rest of my good score. I usually go ok on this patch. On in reg for all 3 and shaky two putts on all for a 38.

77 off the stick, 3 over a side with two doubles and two birds on the back.

10 pars and two birds i think it was. 27 putts. One missed from 2 feet. I should quit now, surely it can't get any better. Only had two drives today put me in any trouble whatsoever. My driving was my weakness 3 months back. Bring on the Holden Scrambles.

And let the fun begin.

TheNuclearOne
18th March 2009, 06:26 PM
Dude, you're living in the past....

This is last weeks thread :)

The past has been nice lately! Hahaha. Pretty sure the new thread wasn't up when i posted this. Hope not lol.