PDA

View Full Version : Curing the ho'ing habit...

davidp
18th December 2004, 06:42 AM
After basically changing my whole bag over the last month, (the putter is now vintage at 2 months residency), I've decided to stop ho'ing and start focusing on important things like practice... :shock: With a backswing as long and sloppy as a session on the throne after eating bad Thai :smt103 , I think it's time to put in some remedial work.

Yet, I seem to be drawn to all the Swap Shops around the place. FGI, 4GEA, GO, BSG, I scan the lot of them at least once a day. I'm selling off my excess stock of clubs and pullouts (well, keeping one or two things) and haven't bought anything for a whole 2 weeks... :smt023

Is there a prescribed program for curing the ho'ing habit? :?:

Jarro
18th December 2004, 06:50 AM
Is there a prescribed program for curing the ho'ing habit? :?:

I think it's important to not go "cold turkey" and try and wean yourself off the habit one day at a time.

Try and limit your ho-ing to 1 or 2 clubs per month..... then from there, it should be easy to quit 8)

what i like to do now is tell people about bargains to be had.... push them into the sale .... and then proceed to borrow/use the club they have bought as though it was my own :wink:

this i call claytons-hoing .. .try it David, you'll like it :wink:

goughy
18th December 2004, 07:32 AM
I think cold turkey is the answer. Get yourself setup with clubs where you can genuinely say 'there is nothing out there which I feel is better than what I have now'. Then you have no 'need' to change other than pure hoing.

McMw
18th December 2004, 10:11 AM
it's never gonna stop....

look at it this way...if you're really serious abt playing GOOD golf...then you'll know what's best for you...

if you keep up with your hoing ways....do you really expect to believe you'll play good golf when you don't even know what you're gonna be playing with day after day???

Onewood
18th December 2004, 11:06 AM
Davidp, this is a very easy thing to stop :roll: no cold turkey required 8)

Just find somewhere else to put your MONEY, Now how easy was that :shock: :smt102

I have PMed you my bank account :D

Deano
18th December 2004, 03:02 PM
I guess you gotta ask yourself why you are "ho'ing"?

We all know that you can't buy a golf game.We're all
better off putting that money into lessons...etc

When I was a member at clubs like Vic Park and Ashgrove
I got to play with plenty of solid golfers who didn't really
give a rats about equip.So long as the Pro that sold it too 'em
said it was a quality set(and it performed) they were happy(and
so long as the beer was cold :lol: ).
One guy I was grouped with once went one over par with a
borrowed set of Top-Flites.Onother bloke I knew had a 3 over
round with a HotDot......yep I'm serious(only about 3 years ago).

For me though picking up a bargain wedge or putter on Ebay
is really just another way of getting my "golf fix". Since I don't
get to hit the course as much as I'd like.I'm not tryin' to buy
a better game it's just a fun substitute for playing if that makes
sence.

Deano

Golfgirl
18th December 2004, 03:34 PM
Davidp, this is a very easy thing to stop :roll: no cold turkey required 8)

Just find somewhere else to put your MONEY, Now how easy was that :shock: :smt102

I have PMed you my bank account :D

Yes, put your money into golf lessons....

While I admit to talking often about buying myself a new driver or new putter when mine start misbehaving (currently I am obsessing over new fairway woods... :roll: ) I have actually not purchased a new golf club for quite a while... I still use the same driver and putter that I had when I first started playing, but my handicap is 14 shots lower thanks to regular golf lessons.

New equipment is fun, I will be the first to admit that, but it isn't the answer. :wink:

gazgolf1
18th December 2004, 07:49 PM
I think cold turkey is the answer. Get yourself setup with clubs where you can genuinely say 'there is nothing out there which I feel is better than what I have now'. Then you have no 'need' to change other than pure hoing.

Agree with Goughy....I'm in this situation now,I've even stopped looking at Ebay. :shock:

BrisVegas
18th December 2004, 08:47 PM

Agree with Goughy....I'm in this situation now,I've even stopped looking at Ebay. :shock:

Oh my God gaz! Good for you man! :D

Jarro
18th December 2004, 09:09 PM

you mean to tell me that G2 will be the last driver you ever own ..... :roll:

McMw
18th December 2004, 09:48 PM

and you actually expect us to believe that??? :wink: :lol:

Jarro
19th December 2004, 05:45 AM

and you actually expect us to believe that??? :wink: :lol:

that's what i thought too ..... No way Gaz, you'll be on the Ho's merry-go-round again before you know it :lol:

gazgolf1
19th December 2004, 08:20 AM
you mean to tell me that G2 will be the last driver you ever own ..... :roll:

Must admit that does sound a bit scary. :?

goughy
19th December 2004, 11:34 AM
Just let me know when you're getting rid of that g2 gaz. It may end up with a happy home :roll: :wink:

Onewood
19th December 2004, 12:50 PM
Just let me know when you're getting rid of that g2 gaz. It may end up with a happy home :roll: :wink:

Goughy, thats like waving a beer in front of an alcoholic :D

davidp
19th December 2004, 01:16 PM
Well, I tried out the irons yesterday that I just got in. There's a couple of issues with swing weight & flex, but that's fixable with trimming the shaft tips. Also hit hook them a bit, but a series of golf lessons may fix that.

Love the Alpha after the reshaft. Much more manageable. (I didn't say straight :wink: ).

One more thing. If anyone lives within 100 m of Riverlakes G.C, if you find a Precept U-Tri Extra Distance in your backyard, can you please return it to me? :shock: