PDA

View Full Version : Need help on putting.... I keep toeing it :(

andylo
18th December 2004, 01:40 AM
I just learnt that I keep toeing my putter is the reason my putting is big time. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Just in case you think it's the lie/loft of the putter, I tried 3 putters tonite (from Brosnan, TM Fontana Tour and Craz-E.... trial period) and I toe them all.

I tried to move the ball little back to my stance, doesn't help, I move my posture up and down, doesn't help neither

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Anybody has the same problem?? Please help!!

Ducky
18th December 2004, 05:57 AM
It's probably just your downstroke going to the inside. Set up some tees and string on the practice green and get the feel of moving the putter head on a straight line.

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Jarro
18th December 2004, 07:42 AM
A-Lo...
.. Ducky's idea is a great one :smt023

goughy
18th December 2004, 08:36 AM
ducky's idea is great. But to further expand, pick a shortish but dead straight putt on the practice green. stick one tee (or piece of stiff wire or something) in the ground behind the hole, and one behind where you intend to putt from. Attach the string. When you putt you place the ball under the string and your clubhead also. The string gives you an instant guide to whether your clubhead is moving off line at all.

I really need to do this too.

andylo
18th December 2004, 08:57 AM
Great idea!!

Thanks guys :D

Unfortunately can't do it today :( Gotta do it tomorrow :D

McMw
18th December 2004, 11:13 AM
don't even need the tee...you can do it at home...

2 clubs parallet to each other, club head width apart....and just practice the stoke....

it;s not that hard....

spend more time reading tips from the magazines instead of looking for clubs, and you'll be fine... :wink:

wavemaker
18th December 2004, 12:49 PM
Hi Andy-Lo, here is another you can try in the comfort of your own home. Take your putting stance close to a wall, so that the toe of the putter just touches the skirting board, and just move the putter back and forth equal distance each way. Get used to how that feels in your hands arms and shoulders. Next find a tiled area or some where there are straight lines on the floor [kitchen, bathroom] and do the same, concentrating on keeping the face square to the line. Good Luck.
p.s. Also playing pool or the like gives you practice at aiming.

gazgolf1
18th December 2004, 01:53 PM
Watch your ball position too Andy....I play mine opposite my left heel but your position may be different.
I've heard that it should be about 2 inches past the the lowest point of your stroke.

McMw
18th December 2004, 10:51 PM
why do most ppl toe their putts??? coz their right hand is too active....cuts in...

this is also a result of looking up...your upper body starts shifting to the right and upwards...

if you ever want to see a good putter...get some old tapes of Nicklaus and Faldo...their techniques were SOLID!!!

Bruce
20th December 2004, 10:41 AM
I'm guilty of this one too, so thanks for the hints.

I think the skirting board one will be most help as I think the problems come for me when I *think* I'm going back straight I am actully pushing out on the backswing and cutting across the ball.

Recognizing the problem and then fixing it are two different things though.

Onewood
20th December 2004, 11:08 AM
why do most ppl toe their putts??? coz their right hand is too active....cuts in...

this is also a result of looking up...your upper body starts shifting to the right and upwards...

To test out what Mau, is saying, Try putting with your left hand on the club only (it will keep lower to the ground through the stroke) then try it with your right hand only (it will start lifting just past impact and finish higher in the air) it does for me anyway :D