PDA

View Full Version : Ruling - What determines "Sheltering" ?

Ned
8th March 2009, 11:16 AM
Under what circumstances is sheltered considered legal and illegal under the rules of golf whilst playing ? :-k

rodders
8th March 2009, 12:26 PM
What is sheltering?

Courty
8th March 2009, 02:16 PM
What is sheltering?

+1

goughy
8th March 2009, 02:47 PM
Maybe like when it's raining and your mate is holding an umbrella over you while you putt??

Can spend all your time under cover (umbrella etc), practice swings etc etc but when you make a swing with the intention of hitting the ball you musn't have someone holding an umbrella or shelter over you. Actually, maybe you can't even hold one over yourself.

Minor_Threat
8th March 2009, 03:02 PM
I think he may be referring to Rule 14-2 "Assistance"

In making a stroke, a player must not:
a. Accept physical assistance or protection from the elements; or
b. Allow his caddie, his partner or his partner’s caddie to position himself on or close to an extension of the line of play or the line of putt behind the ball.

PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE 14-1 or 14-2:
Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes.

Ned
8th March 2009, 04:26 PM
Sorry, clarification

When players are stopping or delaying from continuing there game or holding their place in the field.

markTHEblake
8th March 2009, 04:40 PM
If you think there is danger from lightning, you can stop, otherwise you have to soldier on.

CobraSS
8th March 2009, 08:47 PM
If you think there is danger from lightning, you can stop, otherwise you have to soldier on.
Blakey is right here, you can shelter if there is danger from lightning, but if only rain you must continue or you are breaking the rules and thus DQ....

mike
8th March 2009, 10:19 PM
Providing it's only a short wait for a shower to pass, and no delay to the field, there shouldn't be a problem.

Russell
8th March 2009, 10:59 PM
if i was sheltering from the rain ,but said i feared lightning, i believe i could use that rule to shelter indefinately

CobraSS
9th March 2009, 02:46 PM
likewise the committee could DQ you, if they believe you were not in danger. Done it.

Johnny Canuck
9th March 2009, 02:53 PM
We get some major downpours in the winter over here where the entire field stops. There is no point in playing on if you can't see where your ball is going. At that point, you should be able to stop.

CobraSS
9th March 2009, 05:05 PM
At that point, you should be able to stop.

yeah, if your soft :twisted:

razaar
9th March 2009, 06:18 PM
Recall playing pennants at Gailes where the fog was so thick it was virtually unplayable. Didn't see one flag position or see one drive land until the 9th. It was a case of the course sheltering from the players for 8-holes.