PDA

View Full Version : Champs in Sydney

Scottt
7th March 2009, 09:04 PM
Could it happen? Would certainly attract a few different faces.

Thoughts?

Jarro
7th March 2009, 09:06 PM
No chance

jaybam
7th March 2009, 09:12 PM
Why mess with a good thing Scottt?? Weather it was in Sydney or Qld somewhere your still not going to make it are you??

AndyP
7th March 2009, 09:27 PM
At this stage, we get maximum numbers playing it in Qld.

Grunt
7th March 2009, 09:39 PM
Scottt, we cant get more than 4 to play in a regular ozgolf day.

Ned
7th March 2009, 09:40 PM
Conspiracy ?

Scottt
7th March 2009, 09:49 PM
Not in the next year, Jaybam, no.

I was just wondering if it could work.

And Grunt, obviously you've forgotten our two-group day at Cabra :lol: though that did include Miro and my mate Brad who doesn't post here...

I was just wondering if it would travel well, ie. if those who go would follow it elsewhere and make a weekend away out of it.

Jarro
7th March 2009, 09:52 PM
I'd certainly make the effort to travel south for it.

It's the least i could do after all you good folk down south have made the effort to come up here for the past 5 years :)

As long as we're NOT playing MacGrange though :shock:

Grunt
7th March 2009, 09:55 PM
We have had a few days before with way more than 4 Scottt, but that was before you joined us ;)

AndyP
7th March 2009, 10:21 PM
Is the biggest NSW OZgolf day still from the Newcastle/Magenta Shores weekend when myself and a few of the lads travelled down?

Scottt
7th March 2009, 11:09 PM
We have had a few days before with way more than 4 Scottt, but that was before you joined us ;)

That must explain all the bumper midweek games you've been turning people away from since November...

3oneday
8th March 2009, 05:44 AM
Nah, washing my hair that day.

Andrew
8th March 2009, 06:47 AM
I've never been to the champs, but I would suggest the biggest issue is cost. Up in Queensland you can play a reasonable course, plus a few either side of the main event, & feel as though you got value for money. The cost doesn't take anything away from the enjoyment of spending time with a great bunch.

The few worthwhile venues that could host a weekend event in Sydney would be extremely expensive & probably not offer a lot of freedom.

Grunt
8th March 2009, 06:49 AM
Another thing is I doubt we could ever get a game on a Saturday here in Sydney for 30+ players before 2pm.

Scottt
8th March 2009, 07:41 AM
Very good points. Accom would be pretty expensive also, I guess.

henno
8th March 2009, 08:23 AM
And don't forget the worst thing about having it in Sydney...

... IT'S IN SYDNEY!

:razz:

adlo
8th March 2009, 12:29 PM
And don't forget the worst thing about having it in Sydney...

... IT'S IN SYDNEY!

:razz:
Good point :mrgreen:

Eag's
8th March 2009, 01:24 PM
I don't care if we have the Champs on the Moon, I will be there 8-)
Seriously though I would not mind at all if we had it somewhere down South, N.S.W or Vic.

markTHEblake
8th March 2009, 02:08 PM
Plenty of country tracks between Sydney and Brisbane thats good enough to host an Ozgolf event

Grunt
8th March 2009, 02:13 PM
Have to say there are not too many places other than the resort courses that can accommodate us as easily as they do.

markTHEblake
8th March 2009, 02:16 PM
If we join in with an existing 36 hole open event, not a problem.

Bruce
8th March 2009, 02:21 PM
There is room for 20 at the motel next to the first tee at Mirboo North.

Courty
8th March 2009, 02:22 PM
It doesn't matter where we play, kpac can arrange suitable accommodation close by. ;)

Andrew
8th March 2009, 02:26 PM
If we join in with an existing 36 hole open event, not a problem.
Newcastle could easily host 18 holes in our Sunday comp, & it would be off the normal tees so there would be no cry babies whinging about 13's.

The Saturday event could be played at Magenta Shores.

The Queenslanders could then drive home having a golfing road trip playing Bonville & Ocean Shores on the way home.

Grunt
8th March 2009, 02:28 PM
I like it Andrew, how about a Winter Champs in 2010?

BrisVegas
8th March 2009, 02:32 PM
Andrew beat me to it, I was going to suggest champs could work at Magenta/Kooindah/Pac Dunes. A Friday pre-champs pizzling could be held at Newcastle. Flights on jetstar are cheap into Newcastle.

I'd be there for sure. The wife & kids might even come too and we'd make a holiday road trip out of it.

adlo
8th March 2009, 02:35 PM
I like it Andrew, how about a Winter Champs in 2010?

I would be in for that

markTHEblake
8th March 2009, 02:39 PM
I moved from Darwin to just north of Newcastle in a July.....and near killed me. You can stick your winter champs up your bums unless its played above the Tropic line.

BrisVegas
8th March 2009, 02:42 PM
I moved from Darwin to just north of Newcastle in a July.....and near killed me. You can stick your winter champs up your bums unless its played above the Tropic line.

So, let me get this straight... Winter champs in Newcastle = Blake won't come.

Bewdy.;)

Grunt
8th March 2009, 02:42 PM
Man Up Ladybug!!

adlo
8th March 2009, 02:44 PM
Does the "last man standing" include winter champs?

Might separate the men from the boys

Fishman Dan
8th March 2009, 03:46 PM
I have thrown it up the flagpole a couple of times with a Kooindah - Magenta double. I reckon i could swing a top rate at both tracks with a combined cost of around $120 - $140. Thats about what we were paying at Pelican and PM.

Kooindah now have accom and the digs at magenta are top notch for about @220 that can have 3 bedrooms.

I'm sure some diehard interstaters would still make the trip but we'd get nowhere near 40 or 50 punters.

Have also discussed this Koo - magenta thing as a mid year winter champs or some other fancy name.

The mid-year Masters.

Sounds great. One thing the champs doesn't have is Toukley RSL.

Put me in pencil.

markTHEblake
8th March 2009, 03:50 PM
So, let me get this straight... Winter champs in Newcastle = Blake won't come.

Well every cloud has a silver lining - in place of me you get Fish.

Courty
8th March 2009, 04:15 PM
I like SMS's idea floated at last years Champs/ Mid-year Champs in NQ. This place is paradise at that time of year. 8)

Fishman Dan
8th March 2009, 04:25 PM
Well every cloud has a silver lining - in place of me you get Fish.

These cheap buggers would never meet my appearance fee.

markTHEblake
8th March 2009, 05:42 PM
I like SMS's idea floated at last years Champs/ Mid-year Champs in NQ. This place is paradise at that time of year. 8)

city of cairns open - do it.

haysey
8th March 2009, 05:51 PM

On site accommodation at Paradise Palms.

Friday round at the Links. Get it organised Courty:mrgreen:

Scottt
8th March 2009, 07:45 PM
Mid-year Masters is a great name, Dan.

Courty
8th March 2009, 09:03 PM
On site accommodation at Paradise Palms.

Friday round at the Links. Get it organised Courty:mrgreen:

As much as I prefer Paradise Palms to Mirage, I think the latter would be a better option to prevent any dramas with travel as it's a 30 minute trip between Palm Cove (Paradise Palms) and Port Douglas (Sea Temple/ Links & Miarge).

damoocow
8th March 2009, 09:48 PM
As much as I prefer Paradise Palms to Mirage, I think the latter would be a better option to prevent any dramas with travel as it's a 30 minute trip between Palm Cove (Paradise Palms) and Port Douglas (Sea Temple/ Links & Miarge).

I thought Mirage was a sh1thole nowadays? - Didn't Ned and Russell play there recently ?- maybe they can give a report..........if it's OK a Sea Temple/Mirage double would be good - plenty of cheapish accom in Port Douglas - long way from Cairns airport though !

and for the record I reckon a NSW or VIC Champs would be fantastic !!........but none of this 'mid year masters' mumbo jumbo - make it a proper ozgolf champs.........