PDA

View Full Version : Shark Attack

Jarro
17th December 2004, 06:31 AM
.. not the Greg Norman type ..... but the one with bloody great teeth :shock:

just watching the news this morning when they told about the poor 18 year old kid that was attacked and killed by 2 of these monsters in the waters just off the Adelaide coast. He was being towed behind a boat by his mates when a 6 meter shark grabbed him by the arm, then another huge shark came in and helped to tear him to pieces :smt104 .... while his mates sat in their boat and watched it happen.

I cannot imagine a more horrible way to go :smt078

Ducky
17th December 2004, 07:26 AM
I briefly heard about what happened this morning, although they [the news reporters] did not mention that two sharks were involved.

You're right... what a terrible way to go. I can only imagine how hard it is going to be for the guys who witnessed the whole thing to cope.

Very sad.

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

McMw
17th December 2004, 10:36 AM
off the netscape site...

Australian Teen Surfer Killed by 2 Sharks

ADELAIDE, Australia (AP) - Two great white sharks attacked and killed a surfer while his friends watched in horror Thursday off a popular beach in the southern Australian city of Adelaide, authorities said.

The 18-year-old man had fallen from a surfboard being towed by a power boat when the sharks attacked off West Beach mid afternoon, South Australia state Sea Rescue Squadron spokesman Fraser Bell said.

One shark tore the victim in half and the second shark took the remains, witnesses said.

Two of the three 16-year-old boys who were in the tow boat witnessed the attack and received medical treatment for shock.

Police and state emergency services said there had been no sign of the victim or the sharks since the mid afternoon attack despite extensive searches of the coast.

Bell said the sharks, also known as white pointers, were between 15 and 17 feet long. They attacked about 250 yards from a crowded beach.

``He fell off the surfboard and the shark appeared and took him,'' Bell told reporters.

``It tore him apart ... apparently it tore him in half and the other shark came in and took the rest.''

A woman on the beach who was not named told Seven Network television the shark that led the attack ``caught his left arm and took him around the boat and then another shark has come in and they just took him to pieces.''

The group of four friends, all from Adelaide, had been on the water for just 30 minutes before the attack.

Asked if there were any chance the victim had survived, Bell replied, ``None whatsoever''.

State police chief inspector David Lufty said beaches in the area would remain closed as the search continued for the killer sharks.

The tragedy is the second shark fatality in Australian waters within a week.

A 38-year-old man was killed by a shark while spearing fish on the Great Barrier Reef off northeast Australia on Saturday.

wavemaker
17th December 2004, 10:55 AM
A friend of mine was eaten a couple of years ago. The abalone boat he was working in was flipped over. The diver swam to shore, several ks, and was rescued from the bush after a couple of days lying there. Danny decided to stay with the upturned boat and when the wreckage was located all they found was bits of his shredded wetsuit. And being taken was always his greatest fear. We used to see lots of pointers between Port Lincoln, Esperance and Albany. They certainly instill a certain type of fear when the swim past the boat and look up at you like they know.

McMw
17th December 2004, 11:13 AM
maybe Deep Blue Sea wasn't just a fiction... :shock:

Keza_G
17th December 2004, 12:48 PM
:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Sad news... when I was younger and surfed alot in Esperance and right around to Jurien also up to Lancelin in WA. I saw heaps of sharks swim under me... it is a really scary thing... i think it's another reason why I quit surfin'.

Not the best time of the year either..... Prayers and sympathies for the family & shocked kids....

cheers

Keza

Golfgirl
17th December 2004, 02:16 PM
I'm always fascinated by tv shows on sharks and crocs.

Shocking news I agree, but I personally wouldn't be getting towed around on a surfboard behind a boat in that part of the world..... Has anyone ever seen the documentary made on Great Whites where they towed a dummy seal along behind a boat and filmed a shark "striking" it? :shock:

I see that the kids are undergoing counselling - it had want to be good counselling to overcome the shock of seeing your mate taken by two sharks... poor buggers. They've got my sympathy. :(

Jarro
17th December 2004, 06:21 PM
Has anyone ever seen the documentary made on Great Whites where they towed a dummy seal along behind a boat and filmed a shark "striking" it? :shock:

yeah i've seen that one a couple of times ... truly awesome to watch a 5 meter shark leap clear out of the water :shock:

golfer69, you sound like me... i looooove all the doco's about the "maneaters" .... National Geographic channel has loads of these specials on every month 8) There's a great one on these huge crocs in Africa that eat nothing all year except for 1 week when the wilderbeast migrate through this little section of river ..... fantastic footage of these monsters dragging wilderbeast into the water and tearing them apart :shock:

goughy
17th December 2004, 06:34 PM
I also have heard that sharks don't really like us, it's more a case of mistaken identitiy. I think most of the deaths occured not so much from being 'eaten' as being bitten. Not that that would be any relief for the families.

While sensational, at least shark attacks are not really a frequent occurance.

I heard this morning that in like the last year 3 people in aus have died from testing if a 9volt battery is ok by touching it with their tongues. And over the years something like 30 odd people have died from watering there xmas trees while the fairy lights were turned on.

For me, I don't think there is any good way to die. I'm not ready to go yet :wink:

As far as going after every shark or croc that attacks someone; well, we they were in their territory. Of course I may feel different if it happened to my family.

Jarro
17th December 2004, 06:53 PM
I think the reason they are hunting down this shark is because it's been hanging around the same beaches for a while now, and the experts are worried that it might make attacks on people a regular occurance :smt103

just saw some more footage on the news, this thing is huge, absolutely massive ... that poor kid didn't stand a chance.

kinda strange that 2 sharks were involved as well ..... that doesn't usually happen :smt017

Eag's
17th December 2004, 07:26 PM
Read that story at work last night, sent shivers down my spine :shock:
Poor bloody kid, what a way to go :(

His mates said the bigger shark was as wide as their boat and a hell of a lot longer :smt103

Jose
17th December 2004, 08:57 PM
I’m extremely sympathetic to all involved. A horrible thing to see. Saw his dad on the telly being interviewed, he showed real guts to describe his feelings and the fact that he did not want a slaughter of sharks in the area to result from this, even though his boy was taken. I can’t imagine what he is going through...

I however completely agree with Golfgirl. There is NO way I would be getting towed on that board especially when for the last two weeks there were sightings of some pretty big Whiteys in the area and they are attracted to very similar movements. The risk is still minimal, but always a possibility.

I find this fish fascinating. I had the privilege of seeing a White Shark circle a launch I was on in the Bay of Islands a few years back. I have seen Whales, Orcas and all sorts of marine life up close but nothing can ever prepare you for Mr. Whitey. The one I saw was around 16 feet in length and probably in excess of 1000 kgs but by no means a monster (they get MUCH bigger), but it still looked like a train and the way it glared at you when it lifted its head out of the water…...the poor kid would have had no chance, especially with two.

If you are interested in looking at some big specimens caught here is a pretty interesting page with some pictures. Some pretty big ones especially on the bottom of the page. Frightening stuff.

http://homepage.mac.com/mollet/Cc/Cc_list.html

Once again my sympathies to the family and all involved....

wavemaker
18th December 2004, 10:18 AM
Those poor people are really hurting and I am pleased there is no call for random acts of violence against all sharks, except from Vic but he is a nutter.
To see Great Whites in another light have a look at a site called "apex predators" Awesome.