PDA

View Full Version : What Strategy do you use for Match Play

Diggaboy1
4th March 2009, 05:20 PM
I've qualified again this year for one my clubs Honor Board Events after playing well in the February's monthly Jug event.

32 players go Through to Match Play.

I want to try and go further then top eight this year so I'm keen to hear about what strategies other people use when playing match play.

Maybe I can pick up a few tips I can use.

henno
4th March 2009, 05:27 PM
Heaps of trash-talk, go for the hero shots, and wipe the holes when they don't come off.

Grunt
4th March 2009, 05:29 PM
My number one tip is play each hole one at a time. I should do this always but in matchplay you can only lose that hole and nothing more.

Have fun. I have only lost matches where I have tried too hard.

Diggaboy1
4th March 2009, 05:29 PM
How much bagging and trash talk is concidered too much.

Diggaboy1
4th March 2009, 05:31 PM
My number one tip is play each hole one at a time. I should do this always but in matchplay you can only lose that hole and nothing more.

Have fun. I have only lost matches where I have tried too hard.

This seems to be my biggest problem, every week, trying too hard and putting too much pressure on my self.

Minor_Threat
4th March 2009, 05:31 PM
When its a line ball offer to hit / putt first so you can put the pressure on them.

Diggaboy1
4th March 2009, 05:40 PM
When its a line ball offer to hit / putt first so you can put the pressure on them.

I think that contributed to my last loss. I played a guy that didn't drive long and he got to hit first on every hole. But I also had a bad day so that didn't help. he didn't talk much at all and I lost a hole some where and I thought I was only one down not two with one hole to play.

Minor_Threat
4th March 2009, 05:54 PM
I think that contributed to my last loss. I played a guy that didn't drive long and he got to hit first on every hole. But I also had a bad day so that didn't help. he didn't talk much at all and I lost a hole some where and I thought I was only one down not two with one hole to play.That would be another tip, make sure you know the score. There are plenty of others but they generally make you seem like a prick to your opponent. ie:

If a player hits out of turn you can ask them to replay it.
Work out what the opposition tempo is and do the opposite. (Only works if you can handle playing that way!)
Watch over them like a hawk. (It can make the opponent feel insecure, like you are trying to pick them up on something)

Anyway I don't recommend the above, I prefer an enjoyable no bullshit match, but have encountered all of the above.

zigwah
4th March 2009, 06:13 PM
concede short putts all day until the last 4 or 5 holes. Then make em putt everything.

Notice what their bad shots are and point out danger in that general direction

zigwah
4th March 2009, 06:15 PM
concede short putts all day until the last 4 or 5 holes. Then make em putt everything.

Notice what their bad shots are and point out danger in that general direction

If your on the same line and get to putt first try a subtly sp? cut the putt, probably better on shorter turning putts, try and trick them with the line

Tongueboy
4th March 2009, 06:24 PM
shut up and just wear them out with consistant play if you are capable

Webster
4th March 2009, 06:27 PM
win more holes than he does.

Minor_Threat
4th March 2009, 06:29 PM
If your on the same line and get to putt first try a subtly sp? cut the putt, probably better on shorter turning putts, try and trick them with the lineI wouldn't recommend trying to "spin" putts.. Just play your natural game, if you get the putt in first the pressure is right back on him.

I think the most important thing is to go out and beat your opponent, don't wait for him to lose..

markTHEblake
4th March 2009, 06:52 PM
win more holes than he does.

yeah thats my biggest tip;

oh and hit good shots - that usually works quite well too

Scottt
4th March 2009, 06:57 PM
There is some crazy shit in this thread. Why is it that matchplay turns people crazy?

* Stay in every hole, even if it looks like he will win, he may three putt or hit a bad shot. If you're in your pocket, there is no pressure.

* Play your own game. Don't be suckered into trying to out bomb him with driver if you normally hit a hybrid off a certain tee, etc.

* Concede putts early in the round. And also know what putts are inconsequential and concede them regardless of length. Say he has a 25 footer for 6 and you have to two putt for a four or five, give it to him. It's hard to keep putting rhythm when you're only putting sporadically.

But never, as some people suggest, turn on the trash talk, point out hazards or be a tosser. It's still a game of golf and there's no reason to be unsporting.

Best of luck.

Courty
4th March 2009, 06:57 PM
I'll never tell on here... then it won't be a surprise when I play an OZgolfer in matchplay. 8)

markTHEblake
4th March 2009, 07:42 PM
the old matchplay myth 'give them some putts early in the round'

dumbest thing I have ever heard.

You give them putts you know they wont miss. Otherwise make them putt it. It does not matter whether its the first or the last hole.

mikezone13
4th March 2009, 08:19 PM
the old matchplay myth 'give them some putts early in the round'

dumbest thing I have ever heard.

You give them putts you know they wont miss. Otherwise make them putt it. It does not matter whether its the first or the last hole.

Come on, there's some reasoning behind this method, the old "he hasn't had to putt all day from 3 feet so will be under pressure"

In regards to the pulling him up and getting him to replay his shot if he hits out of turn, it's your right to do this as he is in fact stealing an advantage by playing first. If you believe he's playing first to use it as an advantage call him on it, or at least tell him you'll call him on it next time.

Another tip, make sure when he's chipping over a bunker/other obstacle your bag etc are not directly behind the flag, if he thins his flop shot and hits you/your gear/your caddie he has the choice to replay the shot.

virge666
4th March 2009, 08:33 PM
Most of the tips here are for when playing choppers. You are there to win - not to let him lose.

Aggression.

Go for every flag and every putt. Bash every putt 3 foot by the hole.

MT hit it on the head - be the one to put pressure on. Be first to play, find out how he likes to play and try to get him out of that tempo. Stand over the bastard, be completely condescending, point out his mistakes, nail the little prick to a wall. When you see weakness, put your foot on the mongrels throat.

Lastly - it is not ONE match - it is EIGHTEEN little matches.

BE AGGRESSIVE, BE POSITIVE and above all BE AGGRESSIVE !

And then when you have beaten him 5&4, be a gentleman and buy the poor bastard a drink, he will need it.

Minor_Threat
4th March 2009, 08:33 PM
In regards to the pulling him up and getting him to replay his shot if he hits out of turn, it's your right to do this as he is in fact stealing an advantage by playing first. If you believe he's playing first to use it as an advantage call him on it, or at least tell him you'll call him on it next time.Funny story about that when I was playing 'C' grade pennants I was only 11 years old and all the old blokes on my team made me pull up a guy for playing out of turn.. My opponent went feral at me saying "You wanna play like a kent, I can play like a kent too". I was shitting myself for the rest of the round, but still beat him on the last at Kellyville. Bloody Nepean pennants was feral back in those days..

virge666
4th March 2009, 08:36 PM
Funny story about that when I was playing 'C' grade pennants I was only 11 years old and all the old blokes on my team made me pull up a guy for playing out of turn.. My opponent went feral at me saying "You wanna play like a kent, I can play like a kent too". I was shitting myself for the rest of the round, but still beat him on the last at Kellyville. Bloody Nepean pennants was feral back in those days..

F*ck them - learn the rules or go home.

markTHEblake
4th March 2009, 08:37 PM
Come on, there's some reasoning behind this method, the old "he hasn't had to putt all day from 3 feet so will be under pressure"

You are right, that is the reasoning behind it and its complete rubbish.

I reckon i have about a 90% chance of holing a 3 footer. if anyone wants to give me such a putt then I am more than happy to take it. The less putts i have from 3 feet, the odds of missing one reduces dramatically.

Minor_Threat
4th March 2009, 08:40 PM

I reckon i have about a 90% chance of holing a 3 footer. if anyone wants to give me such a putt then I am more than happy to take it. The less putts i have from 3 feet, the odds of missing one reduces dramatically.Im with you MTB.. The stupid thing is you can practise putts after the hole is finished, so you can keep your feel on the short ones anyway? :roll:

virge666
4th March 2009, 08:40 PM

Agreed - works about as often as "Stacking" the Pennants team.

PeteyD
4th March 2009, 08:44 PM
Penants teams are stacked? I thought that was just hooters waitressses

Scottt
4th March 2009, 08:50 PM
Nepean pennants? What club did you play at MT?

Minor_Threat
4th March 2009, 08:52 PM
Nepean pennants? What club did you play at MT?Wallacia GC mate..

Scottt
4th March 2009, 08:57 PM
Fair enough. I was at Windsor, then Penrith. You played your old track recently. The new holes are great.

Minor_Threat
4th March 2009, 08:58 PM
Fair enough. I was at Windsor, then Penrith. You played your old track recently. The new holes are great.We would probably have met at some stage.. I worked at Windsor for a while! Probably have just given away my anonymity.. lol

I have played the new par 5 and par 3 on the back, but apparently there are some others now? They are great, it would be nice if Panthers did what they said they were going to do though..

markTHEblake
4th March 2009, 09:09 PM
Agreed - works about as often as "Stacking" the Pennants team.

In theory stacking a team should work, if the situation fits, like you have a #7 thats as useful as tits on a bull, and they have a #1 who is a vastly superior golfer than yours.

I guess its just the psychology of it, the whole teams mental attitude is messed up (even if they dont realise it).

And then whenever the topic came up it was always the #1 who knocks it back - they want to always play the other #1 no matter how big the bastard is.

Scottt
4th March 2009, 09:14 PM
We would probably have met at some stage.. I worked at Windsor for a while! Probably have just given away my anonymity.. lol

I only started there in 96, if it was before then, you're in the clear :lol:

Minor_Threat
4th March 2009, 09:16 PM
I only started there in 96, if it was before then, you're in the clear :lol:Nah mate early this century I was at Windsor.. Good friends with the Moulds family!

jimandr
4th March 2009, 09:57 PM
Back to topic.

I assume we are playing handicap matchplay. If so, the most important thing of all is to play to your handicap. Ignore your opponent, and play the course normally if you are playing OK. If you do that, you'll win almost every time, without the need for any gamesmanship or 'tactics'.

There is some room to play safe, particularly if you have the hole well in hand, but you are better off playing attacking golf and trying to win than by trying not to lose.

The other tip for handicap matchplay is to never give up. If a guy is playing out of his skin, it might not last for the full round. Even if you are playing badly, one good hole and you might start playing better.

Johnny Canuck
4th March 2009, 10:15 PM
Im with you MTB.. The stupid thing is you can practise putts after the hole is finished, so you can keep your feel on the short ones anyway? :roll:

Thanks boys. As I read through the thread I was waiting to say everything that you have both said.

Trying to "ice" him by not making him putt? Stupid, stupid, stupid. I will putt anything that is conceded to me just to keep a rhythm. Please, by all means, give me the putt first.

I always make a player earn their first short putt before I will give them one. It is amazing how many players will miss a putt if they expect to be given it.

Diggaboy1
4th March 2009, 10:19 PM
All good advise, I'm surprised someone didn't mention take him behind the clubhouse and work him over before you get called up.

I'll definetly use some of these suggestions. Cheers

Scottt
4th March 2009, 10:23 PM
Re: putting after the hole is finished, with groups backed up that often isn't practical.

And JC, you've got to admit a four footer that has conceded feels very different to the same putt for a half?

razaar
4th March 2009, 10:25 PM
I play for par on every hole. Rarely concede a winning putt on a hole unless it is unmissable. Always try to be one foot past the hole on all putts. Enjoy the day and the free round of golf if it's pennants.

Johnny Canuck
4th March 2009, 10:27 PM
Re: putting after the hole is finished, with groups backed up that often isn't practical.

And JC, you've got to admit a four footer that has conceded feels very different to the same putt for a half?

If you want to concede me 4 footers all day, I will gladly take them.

It takes less time to putt it after he's putt out than it would if I were to properly line it up, etc.. The group behind is going to expect you to putt regardless, so they won't know what is happening.

Scottt
4th March 2009, 10:44 PM
I'm not saying concede four footers all day, but two or three footers in the early stages, yes. I'd make him putt one first, because if he misses he's not getting a thing all day, but otherwise... Anyway - different strokes for different folks I guess.

markTHEblake
4th March 2009, 10:51 PM
I'm not saying concede four footers all day, but two or three footers in the early stages, yes.

I know that is exactly what you said and my point (and the other blokes)stands.

dumb strategy.

Johnny Canuck
4th March 2009, 10:52 PM
if there is any chance of them missing it, why eliminate it?

idgolfguy
5th March 2009, 01:35 AM
For a win or a half - they have to earn it. Let them putt it out regardless of how close it is.

adlo
5th March 2009, 03:21 AM
I always find the best strategy is to win.

sms316
5th March 2009, 08:47 AM
I'm constantly dumbfounded when a thread of this type comes up.

You play matchplay exactly the way you play strokeplay - you try to make the lowest score you can on each hole. Sometimes you are trying to attack a hole, sometimes you are taking a conservative route.

You can't control what your opponent does, so why waste your time worrying about it?

BrisVegas
5th March 2009, 09:03 AM
as sms said, I just try to hit good shots and score well. About the only difference in matchplay is I don't get 'as' upset when I make a triple bogey, as it's still only a 1 hole loss. The other thing is I always assume the other guy will hole everything & make every putt (I've played golfer69 enough), that way I don't take anything for granted.

Boonie
5th March 2009, 10:14 AM
Overthinking matchplay is a recipe for disaster - and stupid little 'tricks' are just rubbish.

Trying to hit first on every hole is just about the dumbest piece of advice I have ever heard, but it seems to always get brought up.

A win on the 1st hole is exactly the same as a win on the 17th hole - you win 1 hole for both, so why give a putt to a guy if you think he may miss it? Makes no sense. A lot of matches are won in the first 4 holes by someone going 3 up early, and often it's because of early nerves.

Always look in control and good luck. Heaps of guys choke in matchplay, so if you get down make sure you give the guy a chance to choke - don't give it to him.

Dotty
5th March 2009, 10:42 AM
Hit the fairway. Hit the green. Sink the putt. Repeat.

Self confidence helps, esp. knowing that your chipping and putting can save you.

Don't publish all your strategies on an internet thread, that your opponents may read.

oobsadd2
5th March 2009, 12:55 PM
Pressure is the key, it isnt applied by tricks or gimmicks. Dotty is closest, hit the fairway then hit the green. Ive won more games than I can remember by my opponent giving up. I want them to think im infallable and they need to play beyond themselves to win. In reality they rarely do, they just stuff it up.
Match play is nothing like Stroke play, its more like chess every shot planned to increase the pressure.

Boonie
5th March 2009, 01:22 PM
Pressure is the key, it isnt applied by tricks or gimmicks. Dotty is closest, hit the fairway then hit the green. Ive won more games than I can remember by my opponent giving up. I want them to think im infallable and they need to play beyond themselves to win. In reality they rarely do, they just stuff it up.
Match play is nothing like Stroke play, its more like chess every shot planned to increase the pressure.

So where do you try to hit the ball when you play stroke play?

I try and hit the fairways and greens in both formats for some reason.

oobsadd2
5th March 2009, 01:44 PM
So where do you try to hit the ball when you play stroke play?

I try and hit the fairways and greens in both formats for some reason.

I didnt think Id need to spell it out
No stroke play I aim for the trees he he he

Stroke play is againt the course and conditions. It is a risk / reward scenario. You take the risk depending on how confident you are, hopefully you get the reward. You are after the lowest score possible.

The way I play match play is to apply pressure, I dont aim to shoot course records. I know the risks of the course and play the percentages. I grind them I dont blitz them.

I hope the differece makes sense. Ive almost won 100 senior A grade pennant matches doing it.

mike
5th March 2009, 02:15 PM
You play matchplay exactly the way you play strokeplay

Have to disagree.

Your opponent is on the green with a 10 foot birdie putt. You're in the trees 160 metres out with a tiny teeny weeny gap to aim through if you were to go for the green. In matchplay you'd have to go for the green. In strokeplay you'd chip out , take your bogey and move on.

mike
5th March 2009, 02:18 PM
Why's this thread in 'Tour Talk' anyway ?

Ned
5th March 2009, 02:29 PM
Have to disagree.

Your opponent is on the green with a 10 foot birdie putt. You're in the trees 160 metres out with a tiny teeny weeny gap to aim through if you were to go for the green. In matchplay you'd have to go for the green. In stroke play you'd chip out , take your bogey and move on.

Whether Match Play or Stroke Play, its about risk versus reward.

The person with the 10 foot putt could be a crappy putter, new to match play, 1st chance at wining a hole etc etc etc.

You could knock it out sidewards, stiff it and the 10 footer turns into a 3 putt. (Or if in as your scenario states, you have to go for it, then you may well hole out after you have chipped out, having had a go for it on the approach)

Everyones view is based around their individual game, what holes are left after the one you are playing, how many holes are you up/down, etc etc etc.

Those things impact on your decision to go for it.

Sydney Hacker
5th March 2009, 02:34 PM
Have to disagree.

Your opponent is on the green with a 10 foot birdie putt. You're in the trees 160 metres out with a tiny teeny weeny gap to aim through if you were to go for the green. In matchplay you'd have to go for the green. In strokeplay you'd chip out , take your bogey and move on.

Or you could chip out hopefully hit your next close and hope he misses his birdie putt.

How often do the shots where you are aiming for a tiny teeny weeny gap come off ? No-where near often enough to try it and grant him the hole by you still being in the trees playing 3.

It is amazing the amount of holes that are won with pars.

mike
5th March 2009, 02:45 PM
OK then, he's got a 3 inch birdie putt. My point is you're opponent's position has to influence the shot you play.

oobsadd2
5th March 2009, 06:04 PM
Exactly... the beauty of match play. Do I go for the miracle or do I try and make a bloody good par save. What is the guy on the green thinking ? He doesnt want to have to make the 10 footer to win the hole. More than anything else I want him to have to make that putt. Even if I end up losing the hole, I want to force him to concentrate on every shot and if at all possible to make him hole a putt .

Sydney Hacker
5th March 2009, 07:14 PM
I would and have been more put off by guys that continually get up and down from difficult positions. If a guy trys to play miracle shots, especially early on, that gives me a lot of encouragement.

markTHEblake
5th March 2009, 09:32 PM
OK then, he's got a 3 inch birdie putt. My point is you're opponent's position has to influence the shot you play.

Mike you are dead right, I have got no idea why these blokes are quibbling over the example.

One time i deliberately missed a green from 100m out. Cos he was in trouble, then in the water, and I just took the water out of play. I have played countless shots like this, that probably being the most extreme one. Others include putting out of bunkers, aiming away from the pin on a chip shot and so on.

I even remember Andylo laughing at me once for aiming 20ft wide of the hole with a seemingly simple chip shot, yet it ended up exactly where i wanted it.

Obviously i wouldnt play these shots in stroke play (although the latter one was in a comp, but the Ozgolf matchplay was the more important game on the day)

zigwah
5th March 2009, 09:45 PM
1 brother, 1 golf cart, esky full JD cans, one win :)

virge666
5th March 2009, 09:47 PM
You play matchplay exactly the way you play strokeplay

No you don't.

In matchplay - I don't care about double bogeys. if I get a chance to go at a pin, I go for a pin.

In stroke events, I do not want the chance of a double, so i might play 10-12' either side of the pin. I only have 2 or 3 shots to play with for 18 holes.

With matchplay - don't care - I just want birdies and little "1's" next to my name.

Conservative play only works when the other guys doesn't play well.

markTHEblake
5th March 2009, 09:47 PM
Great point Zig, i almost forgot the best matchplay strategy ever. A caddie with big boobs, and short pants is a great distraction for the opponent

DC68, are you busy this Sunday?

Johnny Canuck
5th March 2009, 09:52 PM
Another thread switches to slegding DC. Surprised it took so long Blakey! Just wait for the opportunity and pounce on it like he would a cheeseburger.

mikezone13
5th March 2009, 10:29 PM
No you don't.

In matchplay - I don't care about double bogeys. if I get a chance to go at a pin, I go for a pin.

In stroke events, I do not want the chance of a double, so i might play 10-12' either side of the pin. I only have 2 or 3 shots to play with for 18 holes.

With matchplay - don't care - I just want birdies and little "1's" next to my name.

Conservative play only works when the other guys doesn't play well.

Fully agree, they are both different games (hence the different rules).

sms316
6th March 2009, 08:53 AM
Yep. Worrying about what the other guy is doing is a great thing to fill your mind with. :roll:

One time i deliberately missed a green from 100m out. Cos he was in trouble, then in the water, and I just took the water out of play. I have played countless shots like this, that probably being the most extreme one. Others include putting out of bunkers, aiming away from the pin on a chip shot and so on.

If you are concerned about missing a green from 100m, then one has to ask what you are doing in a pennant team in the first place.

Obviously the example from mikezone is an (pretty damn rare) example.

Diggaboy1
6th March 2009, 03:10 PM
Great point Zig, i almost forgot the best matchplay strategy ever. A caddie with big boobs, and short pants is a great distraction for the opponent

DC68, are you busy this Sunday?

I can arrange this, it might help my game as well.