PDA

View Full Version : Stupidly Noisy Drivers are bad for your health.

markTHEblake
2nd March 2009, 09:20 PM
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/337/dec17_2/a2835

Published article on the British Medical Journal provides anecdotal evidence that loud drivers may cause deafness. Study of a particular patient, resulted in sound testing a number of different drivers for noise levels.

Our results show that thin faced titanium drivers may produce sufficient sound to induce temporary, or even permanent, cochlear damage, in susceptible individuals. The study presents anecdotal evidence that caution should be exercised by golfers who play regularly with thin faced titanium drivers to avoid damage to their hearing.

It's a shame this is only anecdotal evidence, if it was absolute proof then we could sue these noise polluting drivers out of existence.

goughy
2nd March 2009, 10:23 PM
We discussed this a little while ago. A survey was done where deafness was assessed after a golfer changed driver. Only problem was that there was only one person used in the survey!

It's in here somewhere!

henno
2nd March 2009, 10:25 PM
I think it's buried in the News of the day thread.

goughy
2nd March 2009, 10:31 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

We were discussing in it, about how loud the noise is but also how long the sound actually lasts for. Basically you can handle a certain db level for a certain period of time per day. But the sound of a driver hitting a ball lasts such a short time, and really there aren't that many hits you have to listen to in a round.

henno
2nd March 2009, 10:35 PM
Clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about. It was in a thread of it's own:

http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11987

markTHEblake
2nd March 2009, 10:42 PM
Doh! - not my fault - I got this browsing the latest issue of Scientific American today, obviously they need to keep up with Ozgolf. Anyway my article has a chart in it, so it is better !

BTW a short sharp sudden noise can cause hearing issues, it does not have to be prolonged at all.

goughy
3rd March 2009, 07:13 AM
All depends on the db's.

Eag's
3rd March 2009, 07:52 AM
I already have 50% hearing loss so a loud driver won't bother me :)

3oneday
3rd March 2009, 08:31 AM
Yeah, it was in the metro papers some time last year. How hitting a driver 13 times once a week will hurt I'll never know :lol:

LarryLong
3rd March 2009, 10:30 AM
Do they make more or less noise if you hit every second one off-centre?

punchtheballout
7th March 2009, 10:39 PM
thats scary, but it could be solved by earplugs. Id rather have a very good noisy club, than a silent but would give me slices all day club! :)