PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back Foxtel

senecio
15th December 2004, 10:36 PM
How I have survived over the last 2 years without it I don't know.

Just had digital installed (for free :D) and the first thing I saw when the installation was finished was golf.

When we moved here I didn't get it installed because of the cost at the time. We were existing cable customers for about 5 years. When I called them to tell them that we were moving into an estate that didn't have cable, I was told that satellite installation would be $350.

I asked if we could get a discount because we were existing customers and was told flat out no. We told them to stick it.

As soon as the free installation offer came up, I started to work on the wife.

Has anyone else jumped on the free installation deal?

Ryan

Keza_G
15th December 2004, 10:54 PM
Well Ryan, I'm at Coomera on the Gold Coast and get Austrar by Satelite. I just love it...

Golf, Boxing, Dragsters and more golf..... I love it.

Cheers

Keza

Jarro
15th December 2004, 10:57 PM
don't know how you could have lasted 2 years without it Ryan :shock:

I've been a Foxtel (Galaxy) satellite customer for as long as i can remember ... the new digital service is great, especially the golf coverage :wink:

enjoy :D

BrisVegas
16th December 2004, 09:14 AM
I've just cancelled my Foxtel. I signed up about 15 months ago on a "Free Install" deal, which included a 2 year contract. Should have read the fine print...

Turns out they were allowed to increase the monthly cost, the transfer fee, cancel fee, basically anything they wanted without my consent, and without it giving me the right to cancel the contract.

Our $39.95 basic analog package was bumped up to $49.95 a few months back. Also, the cancellation fee was increased from $250 to $290 in October. Apparently there was a very small note about it in the Foxtel magazine.

They offered us $100 installation deal for digital via satellite at our new place in a couple of months, as long as we agreed to sign on for another 6 months. In the end, we told them to stick it.

Can't see me going back. I'll miss the golf, but will at least see the majors on free to air. With the money I save, will try and get a digital STB and DVD recorder setup so my golf major archives are a whole lot better quality.

Ciao Foxtel.

AndyP
16th December 2004, 09:23 AM
I don't have it, and can't justify the cost, as I don't think I have the time to watch it.

Don't mind watching the Austar when I am bludging at the outlaws house though. Mmmmmm, Fox Footy Channel. =P~

I did have Optus Pay TV in 1998 (I think), when I had more time on my hands.

Jarro
16th December 2004, 09:27 AM
couldn't do without mine [-(

even the misus and billy-lids watch it as much as me now .... makes for some interesting barneys :smt003

Golfgirl
16th December 2004, 09:47 AM
Don't have pay TV anymore... after nearly two years, it feels a little strange not being able to flick on the golf of a weekend morning....

But basically, we have moved into a unit that isn't wired for cable, and after the bunfight I had with the strata management at the Shellharbour townhouse re: getting the satellite dish installed, let's just say that I don't have the 30 hours that I spent on the phone to spare at present....

So we have just decided to keep paying the monthly installments till the end of our contract in February because basically, that is cheaper than the disconnection fee of nearly $300 that they want to charge us....

We too also were swapped from analog to digital without being asked and were charged more without notification.... bloody pay tv companies think they own the world.... and their staff are incompetent and rude to boot....

I do miss it, but I will still see the majors, and I won't have to fight with Mitchell about cartoons v. golf on the weekends. If we move somewhere where it is possible to hook up with minimum fuss, then I will reconsider....

Fishman Dan
16th December 2004, 09:56 AM
I just checked the Austar website in anticipation of moving to the country, and i can't find a single price on their website for packages? You'd think it would be easy to find pricing to hook up?

I also found their Austar.Net pricing, but nothing telling me if that's ADSL, cable, satellite?

There was a free install deal, if you sign up for 24 months - from what i'm reading here that could get a little scary, i hate long contracts.

AndyP
16th December 2004, 10:02 AM
I just checked the Austar website in anticipation of moving to the country, and i can't find a single price on their website for packages? You'd think it would be easy to find pricing to hook up?
My outlaws have most of the channels (but not all), and pay about $70 a month for digital, I think.

Fishman Dan
16th December 2004, 10:04 AM
My outlaws have most of the channels (but not all), and pay about $70 a month for digital, I think.

$70?!?!?!?! :smt107

BrisVegas
16th December 2004, 10:10 AM
We too also were swapped from analog to digital without being asked and were charged more without notification.... bloody pay tv companies think they own the world.... and their staff are incompetent and rude to boot....

We weren't even switched to digital. They simply bumped up the price of analog to match digital. It's ridiculous that the cheapest pay TV package you can get now is $49.95 per month!

I agreee with you about the rudeness. They're only "reasonable" when they're in sales mode... Anyway, I'm over it. Can't afford to keep wasting that much money.

AndyP
16th December 2004, 10:16 AM

Is that good or bad?
I thought it was good considering what they were getting.
:?

Golfgirl
16th December 2004, 10:18 AM
There was a free install deal, if you sign up for 24 months - from what i'm reading here that could get a little scary, i hate long contracts.

Well, let's just say - the contract has fine print - it pays to read it......

Jarro
16th December 2004, 10:37 AM

Is that good or bad?
I thought it was good considering what they were getting.
:?

that's what i'm paying.