PDA

View Full Version : Tocumwal to Grafton - any good stops?

LarryLong
27th February 2009, 10:39 PM
Hi folks,

I'm currently in Tocumwal, on the way up to visit rellies in Grafton. Was wondering if anybody can point out some good scenic spots or interesting places for a half hour stop between here and there?

Current plan is to stay in Coonabarabran tomorrow night for a flying visit to the Warrumbungles in the morning, but no other plans as yet.

Any ideas?

Meanwhile, I'm in Tocumwal with the clubs in the boot and I'm not even able to swing the time for a hit in the morning. Bit of a shame, but I'll make up for it with a couple of hits at Grafton and Ocean Shores later in the week. :)

BrisWesty
28th February 2009, 02:35 PM
Armidale and Glen Innes are pretty, you could always go via Coffs Harbour from Armidale and check out Dorrigo and Bellingen. That was always a gorgeous part of the world.

jimandr
28th February 2009, 06:27 PM
Larry

The short answer is not really. Even the Warrumbungles aren't anything special for a short sightseeing expedition.

I agree with Briswesty. The most scenic route from the Tablelands to the Coast is through Walcha and Dorrigo. The Skyway at Dorrigo National Park is well worth a look.

If you are in Grafton, that is close enough to justify a trip to Bonville if you've never been there. The course itself isn't as good as its reputation, and isn't worth playing twice, but the scenic environment is sensational.

LarryLong
2nd March 2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks chaps, turned out my accommodation in Coonabarabran had no internet or phone, so I missed out on the advice in the end. Also turns out you were right, not a great deal there, although I did enjoy a quick trip through the Warrumbungles. Put me in front of some nice scenery and I'm happy.

Saw one candidate for the 'biggest sh**hole' thread, but I won't name names because I wasn't there long enough to know if the locals make up for the town's appearance.

Liked Armidale and Uralla, and Narrandera surprised me a bit too. Tried to take a quick squizz at the golf courses on the way past. West Wyalong looked a nice track. Dubbo was very lush and looked pretty good from the road too. So many courses, so little time.

Went from Armidale towards Dorrigo and turned off just after Ebor for Grafton on a winding road. Really enjoyable trip. Ebor falls was very impressive, as were a couple of the other waterfalls along that trip. Will definately go to Coffs on the way home as we are doing the coastal route back.

Not sure if I'll get onto Bonville as the lovely Wife might baulk at the $100 price tag, but I might have a crack. :) I'll probably look at something along the coast though, as I have a 4-day trip back planned for late next week and I reckon I could sneak around a course one morning before we start the drive.

Nice to be on holiday though. :)