PDA

View Full Version : Carbrook is pretty decent!

Hux
26th February 2009, 10:17 PM
I played at Carbrook today for the first time. And must say I was impressed. Its a pretty good layout and has obviously had a fair bit of work down to lift it up so its not a bog hole like so many other courses close to the coast in Qld.

It seems in good condition - greens were a bit brown but assume they have been recently scarified and fairly quick but true.

The back nine was certainly a challenge when the wind came up particularly the 11th - 160metres into a fairly stiff wind coming left to right with large timber on the left to make you want to play more centre, and then the Logan river about 10metres to the right of the fairway. I was more than happy to have hit the green in the conditions.

Thumbs up!!

BrisVegas
27th February 2009, 09:18 AM
Yeah it's a good layout for sure. There are some terrific par 4's there too.

Grunt
27th February 2009, 09:26 AM
I liked it when I played it with BV and Stoney a few years ago. Definitely want to go back for a another go at it some time.

BrisVegas
27th February 2009, 09:28 AM
I liked it when I played it with BV and Stoney a few years ago. Definitely want to go back for a another go at it some time.

that's right, 990BLuva was the 4th. That was my last game there too I think. Will have to get back there this year.

Grunt
27th February 2009, 09:31 AM
Did we have a 4th, it definitely was not 990B though. Had my fist game with him at the KV Champs.

Hux
27th February 2009, 09:53 AM
Yeah it's a good layout for sure. There are some terrific par 4's there too.

Absolutely. The wind gets up and makes the par 4's play really long too. Must be hard for some of the old timers when the par 4's play like 5's.

I think my view of the course was coloured because I was actually hitting the ball well.

Made some changes and am down on distance with all my irons by at least a club length but at this stage I'm happy to be hitting it cleanly and straight and will just have to correct the distance thing after I get back from Tassie.
Just have to compensate in my head by taking at least another club at present which sux's. 150m for a 7 iron sux when it used to be an 8 iron.

Best thing was only had one drive all day that wasn't in play so on the card 12 times for the 18 and we finished with 45 points....if only I could putt. The putting stats are the killer 4 x 3 putts all for par or birdies....spewing.

TheTrueReview
27th February 2009, 10:08 AM
Just have to compensate in my head by taking at least another club at present which sux's. 150m for a 7 iron sux when it used to be an 8 iron.

Hux, I don't think there's anything wrong with 150m for a 7 iron (particularly if it's in the middle of the fairway).

Thanks for the tip about Carbrook.

Hux
27th February 2009, 10:15 AM
Just picked your sig line...ROFLMAO.

It's not the distance but the loss of distance that is all. Hopefully that 7 iron would be the middle of the green and hit from the middle of the fairway though :-)

BrisVegas
27th February 2009, 10:25 AM
7 iron 150 is NOT short hux! I hit it that far when I'm flushing it, and that's only after going to the DG SL shafts.

Hux
27th February 2009, 10:32 AM
7 iron 150 is NOT short hux! I hit it that far when I'm flushing it, and that's only after going to the DG SL shafts.

Well maybe that was/is my problem...gorilla boy hitting his 8 iron 150metres but as inconsistent as anything. Problem lays in being a knuckle dragger I guess (getting in first before the rest of you).

Now I feel better :-)

Moe Norman
27th February 2009, 08:13 PM
I hit a 6 iron if I'm 150m out you gorillas.

Granted I can hit an 8 iron 150m, but a nice controlled 6 iron is far more effective!

Hux
27th February 2009, 08:55 PM
I hit a 6 iron if I'm 150m out you gorillas.

Granted I can hit an 8 iron 150m, but a nice controlled 6 iron is far more effective!

And I want your hcp (subtract 20 from mine) so will be happy to be hitting less but a lot straighter.

I've certainly learnt a valuable lesson....taken me a long time with my off and on golf over 30 years but always it has been trying to flog the cover off. Only now approaching 45 have I realised I no longer need to.....no one every accused me of being a quick learner :smt013

Anyway whether the hard lesson sticks will be known by the end of the year if I can make my NY commitment of low teens.

shavey
3rd March 2009, 11:23 PM
Just remember, it's not how far but how close...

Moe Norman
3rd March 2009, 11:29 PM
And I want your hcp (subtract 20 from mine) so will be happy to be hitting less but a lot straighter.

I've certainly learnt a valuable lesson....taken me a long time with my off and on golf over 30 years but always it has been trying to flog the cover off. Only now approaching 45 have I realised I no longer need to.....no one every accused me of being a quick learner :smt013

Anyway whether the hard lesson sticks will be known by the end of the year if I can make my NY commitment of low teens.
It takes a while to remind yourself, but just think about the shot you want to hit and hit it. I don't have a 'standard' shot from 150m, but I would guess that I hit a 6 iron most times from this distance. I can hit an 8-iron that far, and if I really nailed it I might even get a 9 iron out there.

I use shorter swings and try to strike it crisper though, shame I can't do it with the driver!

razaar
4th March 2009, 08:35 AM
I can hit 5-iron to driver 150 metres but who cares it still counts the same as one putt or one chip.:)

dwayne
7th March 2009, 09:24 PM
I played at Carbrook today for the first time. And must say I was impressed. Its a pretty good layout and has obviously had a fair bit of work down to lift it up so its not a bog hole like so many other courses close to the coast in Qld.

It seems in good condition - greens were a bit brown but assume they have been recently scarified and fairly quick but true.

The back nine was certainly a challenge when the wind came up particularly the 11th - 160metres into a fairly stiff wind coming left to right with large timber on the left to make you want to play more centre, and then the Logan river about 10metres to the right of the fairway. I was more than happy to have hit the green in the conditions.

Thumbs up!!

I agree I play there quite a bit it is a hidden gem.

Daves
19th May 2012, 11:44 AM
PeteyD and I played Carbrook yesterday. Some updates;

1) The rebuilt 9th hole is back in play and is even worse than it was before. A huge 5/6' swale now right across the green which creates a landing area at the back of no more than 8/9 metres depth. Nothing else has changed as far as I can see i.e. water hazard and back bunker are the same. I am unable to fathom the thinking.

2) The sand mining plant to the right of the 12th and 13th fairways will be gone in 6 months. They are moving operations near their site on the western boundary I believe. OOB etc are likely to remain unchanged I am told.

3) The members were voting this week on a new tier of membership; 26 to 45 age bracket at 50% of price 7 day with max. of 20 comp rounds including
Saturdays but not honour board events.

4) They have a new event coming up in June (22nd) called Super Course Challenge. It is over a 9 hole "composite" of special holes e.g. 12th tee to 13th green (200m water carry or go around the lake), 10th Tee to 9th green. Sounds like fun. http://carbrookgolfclub.com.au/default2.asp?page=newsarticle&id=1317

PeteyD
19th May 2012, 12:16 PM
Carbrook Classic is Week ending 8th July, with the 2 day event that Sat/Sun. (I think the 8th is the Sunday).

sms316
19th May 2012, 12:27 PM
I agree I play there quite a bit it is a hidden gem. Dwayne rates it.

Daves
19th May 2012, 12:33 PM
Carbrook Classic is Week ending 8th July, with the 2 day event that Sat/Sun. (I think the 8th is the Sunday).

Details here; http://carbrookgolfclub.com.au/default2.asp?page=carbrookclassic

Dwayne rates it.

It is in excellent nick at the moment. It has finally dried out and they seem to have got the weed grasses in the fairways under control. Fairways and greens are in excellent condition.

MAZA68
19th May 2012, 12:58 PM
I read that they put in a lot of work prior to the Queensland Girls Champs taking place, sounds like they have kept up the standard.

PeteyD
19th May 2012, 03:02 PM
They are getting a fair bit of land back, so I reckon the master plan could be a ripper.

goonie
19th May 2012, 05:28 PM
I played there for 5+ years but started to get bored with the layout. But still a good course, except the bunkers and hard as rock greens.

have they fixed the bunkers yet?

Daves
19th May 2012, 05:30 PM
I played there for 5+ years but started to get bored with the layout. But still a good course, except the bunkers and hard as rock greens.

have they fixed the bunkers yet?

Not really. The members we were playing with were bitching about them.