PDA

View Full Version : if you could play one course on the Mornington Penisula which would it be

Muza
26th February 2009, 01:34 PM
I am going down to Melb for a week. What is the one course I should try and play?

Bruce
26th February 2009, 01:42 PM
Have you played any of them yet?
Do you have a budget?

kpac
26th February 2009, 01:54 PM
play the national if you can get on.

Of the few i've played that are easy enought to get on i'd happily recommend the dunes. Moonah legends very good aswell.

Webster
26th February 2009, 01:57 PM
Try to play both courses at Peninsula...they are significantly better than anything further down the coast that you will see. The National courses are over rated, as are the Moonah Links courses (Legends is ok)

Muza
26th February 2009, 02:00 PM
I havent played any on the courses at mornington pen. I dont know what I should pay.

Depends on value, if its worth it I am happy to pay...I suppose it could be a deciding factor thou

Bruce
26th February 2009, 02:15 PM
National Moonah if you can get on.
Moonah Legends
The Dunes.

Peninsula is good if you are staying int Tyabb.

BrisVegas
26th February 2009, 02:31 PM
Dunes.

chappy1970
26th February 2009, 02:57 PM
I've not played either of the National courses, played both Moonah courses and like others prefer the Legends.

I've played the Dunes and I gotta say that I don't rate it...not at all.

Portsea GC is good fun if you can get a game.

kpac
26th February 2009, 02:58 PM
National Moonah if you can get on.
Moonah Legends
The Dunes.

Zing....

can recommend accomodation if required.

Good reports on peninsula Jack? When we went down the other weekend we were looking at a stay play package at peninsula at one stay, opted for moonah dunes instead.

Toolish
26th February 2009, 03:01 PM
I've not played either of the National courses, played both Moonah courses and like others prefer the Legends.

Portsea GC is good fun if you can get a game.

I have only played the Dunes and Flinders around that area. Both are pretty good tracks, would rate the Dunes better of the two, but I think Flinders is cheaper and in generally doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

Chappy, your dislike of the Dunes doesn't have anything to do with me beating you in the matchplay there does it :)

chappy1970
26th February 2009, 03:18 PM
That is a match I have tried to forget Toolish :), but no that is not the reason, it just didn't meet my expectations after having heard so much about it.

It's far from a goat track, just not the first course I'd play down there. It is accessible and that is one thing going for it.

kpac
26th February 2009, 03:30 PM

? surely you're off your face... what are you expecting out of a course? It isn't the greatest course in the world/country/victoria/or in this case agueable the peninsula, but to say you "don't rate it [] at all" beg the question of how good were you wanting it to be?

chappy1970
26th February 2009, 03:53 PM
Off my face, well not at the moment.

I had heard great things about the place and I didn't think it was that special.

Just my opinion Kpac, your more than entitled to yours mate.

Rooster
26th February 2009, 04:00 PM
Peninsula North is fantastic.

Agree about the Dunes, nice course but not as good as some people say.

kpac
26th February 2009, 04:04 PM
Off my face, well not at the moment.

I had heard great things about the place and I didn't think it was that special.

Just my opinion Kpac, your more than entitled to yours mate.

fair enough, thought it was pretty solid myself, be more than happy to play it again. Maybe i got a good day, good conditions or good round but i struggle to see anything obviously wrong with the place.

Minor_Threat
26th February 2009, 04:28 PM
National Old Course is the best by far on the Peninsula.

Courty
26th February 2009, 04:58 PM
Moonah Legends is definitely a more interesting layout than Moonah Open.

AndyP
26th February 2009, 06:40 PM
I've played Moonah Open, Dunes, National Old and National Ocean. I rate National Old the best, and the Dunes as best value for money.

markTHEblake
26th February 2009, 07:33 PM
Long Island.

Moe Norman
26th February 2009, 08:32 PM
Dunes is good, but there are quite a few worth a hit before it.

It has some pretty shocking stuff there, mixed in with some good stuff. Their maintenance of the place in the last 2-3 years ha been disgraceful, my last game there was no improvement on the one before that. Course set up poorly, thus ruining the layout completely

Muza
26th February 2009, 09:35 PM
I might try and get a game at the old course. Thanks for your help.

shavey
26th February 2009, 10:05 PM

Kpac, you aren't going to live that down for a while yet my friend! :)

Moonah Legends is definitely a more interesting layout than Moonah Open.

Agree with you there for sure Courty.

Portsea for mine but Old Course at The National is something you have to play once in a lifetime. That view from the 6th is forever etched in my memory.

Jim
26th February 2009, 10:15 PM
National Old by a country mile. Although if it is blowing you would be well advised not to worry about your score.

shavey
27th February 2009, 09:15 AM
And bring a few extra layers and a beanie... just in case ;)

u8ergolfer
16th March 2009, 10:05 PM
I've played Moonah Open, Dunes, National Old and National Ocean. I rate National Old the best, and the Dunes as best value for money.
-I agreee