PDA

View Full Version : Some Perspective

3oneday
26th February 2009, 10:37 AM
Just thought I would share something that has directly (or indirectly) affected me and my family.

On Monday this week, my wife and kids went along to swimming lessons as usual. They sat with some friends with whom they have been attending lessons with for the past 2 or 3 years. Friends in a way that when my family wanted to change swimming days from Thursday to Monday, they changed days as well.

So, the mum says to my wife, "did you notice XXXX right eye, we think it's turned out, what do you think". My wife looks and agrees.

They take her to an optometrist the next day, she rings my wife to tell her that she needs glasses. But then, that night she starts getting ill, really ill.

They take her up to Westmead, every time they shine a light in her eye she vomits.

They rush her off to have some scans and they find a tumour behind her eye, 3cm by 4cm.

At 12pm yesterday she went in for brain surgery to try and remove it. It appears as though it is a very aggressive malignant tumour, but they feel they have got it all but they won't know for sure for a week.

It's not my child, but even typing this is difficult for me.

I can't imagine to understand what they are feeling, she is 8.

henno
26th February 2009, 10:42 AM
This is going to sound very callous and selfish, but I wish I hadn't read that. That just makes me feel terrible.

zigwah
26th February 2009, 10:52 AM
hope everything turns out ok, it's a tough time.

Dotty
26th February 2009, 11:37 AM
I hope all goes well for her.

That tumour is some coincidence. I was just reading about this last week in the Guide Dogs NSW/ACT newsletter, about one of their PR speakers having the similar problem and operation, over 30 years ago.

If her sight is affected, the doctors/occupational therapists will probably already contact Vision Australia (who handle the indoors stuff) and Guide Dogs (who handle everything outside the front door, involved in getting around, not just the cute puppies).

Also, keep GDNA in mind, as their PR speakers are available no-charge to address schools, community groups, etc. (See www.guidedogs.com.au (http://www.guidedogs.com.au) , if you need any more info about what is available to her and the community. The actual article is under the 'News' tab, then 'Visons Newsletter', the 2009 PDF and titled 'Samantha speaks up for Guide Dogs'.)

I hope this helps, and PM me if you need more, as I do a bit of volunteeer work with the association, after my father lost most his sight after a heart bypass checkup six years ago.

poidda
26th February 2009, 11:45 AM
How horrible. Hope all works out. Maybe it's a lucky thing the tumour was affecting her eye, or maybe they would never have noticed it.

Johnny Canuck
26th February 2009, 12:00 PM
How horrible. Hope all works out. Maybe it's a lucky thing the tumour was affecting her eye, or maybe they would never have noticed it.

Exactly. Find some positive in everything. Truly hope it works out.

markTHEblake
26th February 2009, 12:32 PM
seems that when these things hit, the symptoms show up pretty quick. My dad went from being as fit as a malley bull to something that resembles a concentration camp survivor almost overnight. And his first symptom was getting his words mixed up - that was the cancer tumour in the brain.

It is stories like this that worries me with the kids. My 11yo son is constantly complaining that his arm hurts, or his leg hurts "when i do this". So i tell him not to do that. If i took him to the doctor everytime he said that I would be going 5 days a week.

Maybe he is a hypochondriac, or he should stop playing footy every lunchtime and tackling the bigger kids, falling off the skateboard all the time - he has more bruises on him than Rocky. So fair enough, but we did have an incident where 6 months later we discovered that it was a broken rib that he had, and the dope didnt know how he did it, and played footy right through it.

Its hard to know when the kids are being hypochondriacs or when there is something really going wrong, and then which doctor to go to, like in 3onedays story, a funny eye you go to the optometrist. My kids back hurt so i took him to a chiropractor - and neither helped.

Grunt
26th February 2009, 01:04 PM
As a person who has had a Benign tumour sucessfully removed. Hearing stories like this really make me realise how lucky I was.

Hope it all works out for the little girl involved.

Lucasto23
26th February 2009, 01:17 PM
Man that is just amaizing, you know it just show's me that the mre attention we pay to other people around us the more we can actually help our communities.

I hope she has a quick and full recovery.

Thanks for sharing this

gazgolf1
26th February 2009, 02:20 PM
Having just had a baby this kind of thing scares the crap out of me. Seriously people who lose children at birth or through illness, how could you get over that.....wow I think I'd top myself.
I hope the little girl gets through this.

Jarro
26th February 2009, 02:42 PM
Hope she pulls through alright Pete, it's always really sad to hear about little kids getting that prick of a disease :mad:

Courty
26th February 2009, 06:07 PM
Cancer is a terrible, terrible blight on humanity. The sooner they can find a way to stop it for good, the better. I get the impression that instances are rapidly increasing, or is it just me?

Ned
26th February 2009, 06:58 PM
All the best to not only your friends and their child but also to you and your kids.

What has happened will have an effect on you guys more then you think as well.

When an adult gets ill for whatever reason, at least you can say they have experienced life and hope that they recover.

When a child gets ill, for me it is very hard for in a lot of respects they are innocent in life and not yet experienced a lot of the good things that life has to offer.

Found that out a lot after driving home from jobs with the firies that involved kids.

I've got four kids and as much as they p&^%s me off no end, they are the best thing in my world.

markTHEblake
26th February 2009, 09:52 PM
Cancer is a terrible, terrible blight on humanity. The sooner they can find a way to stop it for good, the better.

There is a cure(or prevention) but the pharmaceutical industry wont let you know about it because it occurs naturally in most fruit seeds, the highest content being in apricot seeds.

Toolish
26th February 2009, 10:56 PM
There is a cure(or prevention) but the pharmaceutical industry wont let you know about it because it occurs naturally in most fruit seeds, the highest content being in apricot seeds.

big call right there....tell us more MTB

henno
26th February 2009, 11:04 PM

Yeah I have heard this as well. The biggest believer of the cancer-killing powers of apricot seeds was my Aunt. Sadly, she herself succumbed to cancer just over a year ago, aged 43 with 3 kids under 6.

I don't doubt the unscrupulous tactics of the pharmaceutical companies, but I am a skeptic of the alleged healing powers of an apricot seed.

markTHEblake
26th February 2009, 11:09 PM
Its no big secret, google for Vitamin B17, Laetrile or simply apricot + cancer.
www.laetrile.com.au (http://www.laetrile.com.au) is a reasonably informative site.

Henno, i am not sure about its healing powers, there can be the issue of too little too late. But regardless of anything, I am 100% confident that our overall diet is lacking in many natural requirements that keep us healthy.

henno
26th February 2009, 11:23 PM
But regardless of anything, I am 100% confident that our overall diet is lacking in many natural requirements that keep us healthy.

Oh, I 100% agree there.

There is a strange modern phenomenon where you can be obese from over-eating, yet be deficient in the basic vitamins and nutrients required for a healthy body.

Eag's
26th February 2009, 11:27 PM
Very sad Pete and even more so when it affects a child :(
I really hope she makes a full recovery.

Cancer is a terrible, terrible blight on humanity. The sooner they can find a way to stop it for good, the better. I get the impression that instances are rapidly increasing, or is it just me?

Unfortunately mate your are right, we are seeing an alarming increase in the number of cases coming through the Wesley :(

Scottt
27th February 2009, 07:23 AM
Henno and MTB, you're definitely onto something. A study released over here today by an oncology journal reported that by eating less red meat, drinking less alcohol and eating more fruit and veg, a person drops their risk of oesophogal cancer by 73% and lowers the risk of bowel, throat, breast and some other cancer by more than 40%.

TheTrueReview
27th February 2009, 07:41 AM
Henno and MTB, you're definitely onto something. A study released over here today by an oncology journal reported that by eating less red meat, drinking less alcohol and eating more fruit and veg, a person drops their risk of oesophogal cancer by 73% and lowers the risk of bowel, throat, breast and some other cancer by more than 40%.

Couldn't agree more. It might be old hat to say this but in general western diets are crap. As a part time gig, I'm a member of a medical ethics committee (which approves/rejects applications for clinical trials of drugs by pharmaceutical companies). Obesity & its side effects is almost out of control. The most common trial we approve is for new drugs to curb type 2 diabetes. The major cause being -> obesity.

3oneday
27th February 2009, 08:07 AM
Henno and MTB, you're definitely onto something. A study released over here today by an oncology journal reported that by eating less red meat, drinking less alcohol and eating more fruit and veg, a person drops their risk of oesophogal cancer by 73% and lowers the risk of bowel, throat, breast and some other cancer by more than 40%.maybe, but how does that account for all the kids in the Cancer wards ?

Bit of an update last night, they thought they got it all, but then they found 1cm by 2cm was missed, so she's going back in again today for more surgery.

Some good news though, they say it hasn't spread to her spine.

Scottt
27th February 2009, 08:21 AM
Fingers crossed for her, Pete.

Grunt
27th February 2009, 09:36 AM
Guess I am stuffed then. I am the son of a Butcher so I eat lots of Red Meat, I drink a fair bit and while I do eat Fruit I don't think I eat enough to cancel the others out.

Oh well thats life.

Grunt
27th February 2009, 09:40 AM
maybe, but how does that account for all the kids in the Cancer wards ?

Bit of an update last night, they thought they got it all, but then they found 1cm by 2cm was missed, so she's going back in again today for more surgery.

Some good news though, they say it hasn't spread to her spine.

Hope it all goes good from now for her. Does she need chemo/radiation after all this?

3oneday
27th February 2009, 11:28 AM
Does she need chemo/radiation after all this?
Yes, the plan is that she will be in hospital for 6+ weeks with daily chemo.

Grunt
27th February 2009, 12:06 PM
Bummer that is the worst part, seeing kids almost killed to be made better is tough. Have seen it when my sister was in hospital for months as she grew up. She did not have cancer though but was in POW Childrens for a lot of her early years.

zigwah
27th February 2009, 04:19 PM
the seeds apparently do work a person i know did this but also along with latriel tablets from overseas, you cant buy them and here and you need a script from the dr.

The B17 in the kernals attacks the cancer, but htere is a lot of people who say this is dangerous becasue there is cyanide in apricot kernals, with a bit of research you will find out it's all a smoke screen from pharmacuetical companies, who don't want there gravy train to end.

My partner was diagnosed with breast cancer 4 years ago, she ws told it was a grade 3 aggressive tumor that had to come out and then chemo and radiation treatment, she said they could take the tumor out but forget the rest no chemo, no radiation, she only has 1yr to go b4 she is classified as a cancer survivor although many die after this time and are not counted in statistics.

I know some people agree with chemo and radiation, but i dont, i thinks its like killing an ant with a sledge hammer. while it may, may stop cancer from coming back or shrink some cancers it also kills any rapidly dividing cell in your body, so you cannot fight diseases or anything.

poidda
27th February 2009, 04:27 PM
My Mrs is an Oncology Nurse and from the results she's seen with and without radiation and chemo she wouldn't think twice about not having it. It's no use worrying about other diseases in future if this is the one that's about to kill you.

Great to hear your partner is well, and hopefully Pete has the same result.

mikezone13
27th February 2009, 04:39 PM
Sad to hear this Pete especially when kids are involved as they probably don't even have clue what the whole disease means.

Unfortunately I and my 13y/o sister had to go through the process of watching our mother pass from cancer in 2006 (at the age of 46), just 9 months after her initial diagnosis.

She tried many different alternative therapies as well as the standard chemo and radiation but nothing could be done, although she had a lot more faith in the alternative therapies.

I spent her final 2-3 weeks basically living at the hospital (think I slept in my own bed once and snuck out for 18 holes to stay sane) and while I was pleased I did it, it's something I hope others don't have to go through.

Since then we've been donating to Camp Quality every year to help the kids out that get hit with this.

Good luck and best wishes,
mz13

Iain
27th February 2009, 05:08 PM
Hope everything goes well for your friends Pete, just shocking to read about this sort of thing.... :(

Jarro
27th February 2009, 05:10 PM
I know it's a very meaningful topic ... but can we lock it down now ..... it's just too depressing :(

markTHEblake
27th February 2009, 07:13 PM
the seeds apparently do work a person i know did this but also along with latriel tablets from overseas, you cant buy them and here and you need a script from the dr.
Its an import clearance you need as well, but in Qld you cannot even get that.

The B17 in the kernals attacks the cancer, but htere is a lot of people who say this is dangerous becasue there is cyanide in apricot kernals. It is kind of cyanide, but Hydrogen is also very dangerous, add one molecule to it and its the most essential substance for life - water.

I know some people agree with chemo and radiation, but i dont, i thinks its like killing an ant with a sledge hammer. My dad underwent Radium and its almost killed him, yet its hardly stopped the cancer, just slowed it down a fractin, he cant eat anymore and he now weighs about 48 kilos - and he is 6ft tall. Knowing the outcome i dont know why they put him through this, they said there was never a chance of getting rid of it.

henno
27th February 2009, 07:54 PM
It is kind of cyanide, but Hydrogen is also very dangerous, add one molecule to it and its the most essential substance for life - water.

I get what you're trying to say, but saying that hydrogen is only one molecule away from water just doesn't make sense. That's simply not how things work in the real world.

This light-hearted article is probably worth a read. (http://www.joethepeacock.com/2008/12/only-you-can-prevent-bullshit-email.php)

Basic high school chemistry teaches us that "one molecule away from [x]" is completely meaningless. It's purely semantic how closely related one molecule is to another, and it's only worrisome based on your brain's comprehension of English and what words mean. It has nothing to do with actual science.

When a mommy atom and a daddy atom love each other very much, they bond and form a substance, and some substances in the world share similar building agents as others. Which means that ... just because substances share root atoms doesn't make them the same.

razaar
27th February 2009, 08:10 PM
I'm at the age where many of my mates have passed on, some from cancer, blokes who have always looked after themselves and I thought would see me out. As for diet I have the view that its not what you eat but what eats you that is important. Everything in moderation seems to work for me. The type of genes one inherits seems to have a bearing on a person's health and longivity. Its just life.

zigwah
27th February 2009, 08:12 PM
it's not actually cyanide in the way of your old agatha christie movies. Two of the elements that can make up cyanide are present and when they come into contact with a chemical produced by tumours they come together form the cyanide compound and attack the tumour. So no tumours no cyanide.