PDA

View Full Version : Lowering my ball flight

jd_FRANK
25th February 2009, 02:53 PM
Hi experts! :)

About 6 months ago I changed irons from some old Armour Evo Cavities to Titleist 755s. They were probably a quarter of an inch shorter than the Evos and felt OK when I was hitting them. I noticed a bit of a higher ball flight, but as soon as I started hitting into the wind, they went amazingly high. Way too high! I noticed a lot of forums saying these clubs with the stock shafts so high for a lot of people, so I went back to some Titleist 704cbs with DGS300 shafts, I read this shaft gives a lower ball flight.

Alas, nothing has changed, even when I hit the Evos into the wind I get the same deal. So obviously at the same time as I changed clubs and maybe due to the quarter of inch change in length, my swing has changed.

Typically, when I'm playing well, I hit the ball with a draw, even though I have a very steep shoulder turn at the start of the downswing (so I'm told by a very reliable source). Maybe I'm getting to wristy and scooping the ball? Anyone have any tips or drills that could get me back to hitting the ball a bit lower. Thanks everyone

razaar
25th February 2009, 03:57 PM
Where do your divots start in relation to the ball position and what do they look like?

jd_FRANK
25th February 2009, 04:03 PM
Very rarely take a divot, if I do it's usually because I've hit the ball fat. Or maybe cos there's no grass on the fairway.... Generally they are pretty straight to the target

razaar
25th February 2009, 04:13 PM
I may be wrong but as a guess I think you may have a shut to open swing, if so your short irons will be your strength and you have difficulty with the longer clubs. Is this the case?

jd_FRANK
25th February 2009, 05:38 PM
Definitely better with my shorter irons than the longer...but isn't everyone? Pretty good off the tee with driver and 3 wood, and not so good with a 3 wood off the deck. My bad shots are either a block to the right or a hook.

razaar
25th February 2009, 08:09 PM
Here is a drill for a shut to open swinger. Practice swinging toe up on the back swing to toe up on the through swing, just to waist high. Then practice toe up to face down, still to waist high. Keep your arms close together throughout. I think your arms maybe separating past the ball position which leaves the face open causing your wrists to break down to save it.

virge666
25th February 2009, 10:23 PM
Very rarely take a divot

And that is where the problem is. You are hitting it high because you are not hitting down on the ball.

Any of the compression drills will help this. Changing shafts ain't going to do a thing.

macjackass
25th February 2009, 11:24 PM
I wish I hit the ball high!

virge666
26th February 2009, 08:27 AM
I wish I hit the ball high!

Not the way he does - you don't.

3oneday
26th February 2009, 09:01 AM
Changing shafts ain't going to do a thing.
I agree, I used to be able to hit an X100 as high as a Dynalite reg.

jd_FRANK
26th February 2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks razaar and virge...some stuff to work on!

braddles
26th February 2009, 02:22 PM
Try placing a towel about 2 cm behind the ball. You should be able to hit the ball without hitting the towel. I hit my irons very high as well. I found that I was hitting slightly behind the ball. My shots weren't really fat, they just had no compression. I am working on this drill and my iron play is getting heaps better.

virge666
27th February 2009, 12:04 AM
Try placing a towel about 2 cm behind the ball. You should be able to hit the ball without hitting the towel. I hit my irons very high as well. I found that I was hitting slightly behind the ball. My shots weren't really fat, they just had no compression. I am working on this drill and my iron play is getting heaps better.

Also a bloody fantastic way to practice chipping.

razaar
27th February 2009, 07:52 AM
That towel drill scares me; the drill itself is fine but use something that the sole will reflect off, like one of those thin flexible plastic cutting boards. Have the board 5cm back from the ball to allow clearance for a shallow inside attack on the pill.

virge666
27th February 2009, 08:49 AM
Nice one Razaar, top idea.

markTHEblake
27th February 2009, 12:58 PM
Try hitting balls in a vacant lot with nothing but windblown sand(and stones) or hard dirt to hit off. You learn to hit the ball first real quick.

Surprisingly enough I hit the ball real solid there, I just got to remember not to wear white socks.

razaar
27th February 2009, 01:19 PM
jd....one more drill you can try is to have the butt of club shaft pointing to your left mid section at address (normal) and the whole swing away from the ball and through impact is played with the end of the club always pointing towards you. The takeaway and through swing feel as though body and club work together. If you practice this move before playing a shot, the shot itself will feel short and stiff wristed, but it will be pretty much the same as your normal position. This is a drill for those players who employ a hands and wristy method and hit the ball high.