PDA

View Full Version : Is this misleading advice,.

Diggaboy1
25th February 2009, 11:53 AM
A mate of mine, who plays off 6, went and got fitted for a new set of clubs, the result was that he required standard length and 4 degree down as his swing plan is quite flat.

The fitter suggested that he buy a demo forged club and get it bent 6 degree down and practice with that until his new set arrives. This will help him adjust to the new clubs.

While practising with this club he finds himself hitting slices and hooks.

Isn't this bad advice, wouldn't he be better off practicing with what he has been fitted as or making adjustments to his swing instead of learning bad habits while trying to make the ball flight straight with a club he'll never use again.

What are your thoughts.

Jarro
25th February 2009, 11:56 AM
If he was playing to 6 with his old clubs, then i would've kept them ... he obviouslt hit them alright to get down to that handicap

3oneday
25th February 2009, 11:57 AM
Do people actually play 4° flat ? 6° flat as well ? Sounds like weird advice, what were the specs on his current set ?

sms316
25th February 2009, 11:57 AM
Are they Henry Griffitts?

3oneday
25th February 2009, 12:00 PM
That was my first thought too.

Diggaboy1
25th February 2009, 12:02 PM
the existing set was Callaway X18 or X20 tours, standards length, loft and lie. The fitter is a very well known and qualified person. First name Chris and works on the GC. I'm sure a lot of you will know him. And the 4 degree flat is what the results came up with. He has long arms and he holds them very low at address.

Diggaboy1
25th February 2009, 12:03 PM
He went to a set of AP2, Project X flighted 5.5,

Jarro
25th February 2009, 12:14 PM
the existing set was Callaway X18 or X20 tours, standards length, loft and lie. The fitter is a very well known and qualified person. First name Chris and works on the GC. I'm sure a lot of you will know him. And the 4 degree flat is what the results came up with. He has long arms and he holds them very low at address.

Chris McCourt ?

virge666
25th February 2009, 12:24 PM
He went to a set of AP2, Project X flighted 5.5,

Very different clubs and very different shafts.

If he was fitted - then he was fitted dynamically, and that is not the cause of his hooks and slices. if he was fitted badly I would dexpect the same kind of bad shot shape repeated.

If the lie it too flat he will hit little fades. not big ones and woudl find it very hard to turn the ball over.

Why would you go from X18 shovels to AP2 players irons ?

Diggaboy1
25th February 2009, 12:24 PM
Yep, I'm not saying his advice is wrong, I am just trying to understand his logic. I find Chris a really good guy, always willing to pass on his advice.

Johnny Canuck
25th February 2009, 12:26 PM
I'm sure I could use mine bent flat, but I am afraid to get it done. I got down to a 4 handicap with what I have now and have no desire to stuff it up.

BrisVegas
25th February 2009, 12:29 PM
Why would you go from X18 shovels to AP2 players irons ?

we all mistakes! I went from X12's with graphites to TA3's with Rifle 6.0 when i was a 6 hcap. The X12's were a stupid mistake, induced by being flushed with USD$ income and cheap equipment prices over there...

Toolish
25th February 2009, 12:32 PM
He has long arms and he holds them very low at address.

Address doesn't really matter. Impact is where it matters.

Suggesting he practice with a 6 down to get used to it sounds weird. If he was fitted to 4 down then that should be what he is 'used' to anyway as it is made for his swing.

Don't think I have heard of anyone that flat?

Diggaboy1
25th February 2009, 12:33 PM
I understand him wanting to change clubs, due to their age but to make such a drastic change, I question? But while he's out of sorts and I'm beating him, he can mess with his swing as much as he like. More drinks for me.

henno
25th February 2009, 12:39 PM
we all mistakes!

i⋅ro⋅ny [ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-]
–noun

1. What BrisVegas just did.

BrisVegas
25th February 2009, 12:44 PM
i⋅ro⋅ny [ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-]
–noun

1. What BrisVegas just did.

just to clarify.... the X12's with grphites were the mistake! My game improved once I went back to something that suited me better. sure, I couldn't hit 5 iron 210 yards anymore, but that's not the end of the world now is it?

henno
25th February 2009, 12:47 PM
just to clarify.... the X12's with grphites were the mistake! My game improved once I went back to something that suited me better. sure, I couldn't hit 5 iron 210 yards anymore, but that's not the end of the world now is it?

That's not what I was referring to. I was referring to you making a mistake when writing a sentence about making mistakes.

You're missing a whole word there buddy! :mrgreen:

3oneday
25th February 2009, 01:00 PM
We all mistakes makes perfect sense, what talk about you ?

:)

golfasaurus
25th February 2009, 01:01 PM
I don't think it is bad advise. Over the years, golf equipment have gotten too upright. One of the reasons this has happen is bacause most golfers slice or hit weak fades. A more upright club simply helps the golfer to come in steeper and help get them to hit the ball straighter.

The problem arises when golfers start to hook it badly. While they may not be doing it on every shot, it is the few bad shots they hit on the course that results in a horrible result.

I use to play standard irons and 3 months back, switch to 6 degrees flat. Yes, it takes time to adjust but it really helps to achieve a better swing. I still can hit upright irons just find. But another golfer will have trouble hitting mine. My thoughts are that with a sound swing, you can pretty much hit any club.

It's like a low ball hitter trying to hit a high shot. Then tend to have trouble doing so. But a high ball hitter has a relatively easier time hitting it low.

virge666
25th February 2009, 02:11 PM
6 Degrees !

How long are they ?

Diggaboy1
25th February 2009, 02:42 PM
standard Length, He has long arms apparently

Johnny Canuck
25th February 2009, 03:28 PM
I don't think it is bad advise. Over the years, golf equipment have gotten too upright. One of the reasons this has happen is bacause most golfers slice or hit weak fades. A more upright club simply helps the golfer to come in steeper and help get them to hit the ball straighter.

The problem arises when golfers start to hook it badly. While they may not be doing it on every shot, it is the few bad shots they hit on the course that results in a horrible result.

I use to play standard irons and 3 months back, switch to 6 degrees flat. Yes, it takes time to adjust but it really helps to achieve a better swing. I still can hit upright irons just find. But another golfer will have trouble hitting mine. My thoughts are that with a sound swing, you can pretty much hit any club.

It's like a low ball hitter trying to hit a high shot. Then tend to have trouble doing so. But a high ball hitter has a relatively easier time hitting it low.

The way that everyone whinges around my club, it is quite the opposite. Those boys can never keep it low in the wind.

Diggaboy1
25th February 2009, 03:52 PM
Sounds like a new thread. or lesson. Keeping the ball Low into the wind and hitting the the ball high and how to control it.

virge666
25th February 2009, 03:53 PM

Let me re-phrase that . . .

Were you DYNAMICALLY fittted to that ? or did you just want to get rid of the snap hook ?

Minor_Threat
25th February 2009, 05:59 PM
Can you even bend a club head 4 - 6º flat? Back in my day 3º either way was the max you could get!

markTHEblake
25th February 2009, 09:06 PM
The fitter suggested that he buy a demo forged club and get it bent 6 degree down and practice with that until his new set arrives. This will help him adjust to the new clubs.

I am surprised about that, IMHO you should not need to 'adjust' to new clubs if they are properly fitted, rather they should feel perfect out of the box.

I met Chris McCourt yesterday, and I now understand why Jarro sees eye to eye with him.

Jarro
25th February 2009, 09:12 PM
I met Chris McCourt yesterday, and I now understand why Jarro sees eye to eye with him.

Did he spit in your face too ?

markTHEblake
25th February 2009, 09:24 PM
You couldnt spit that high shorty.