PDA

View Full Version : First day at my new club v2.0

Scottt
25th February 2009, 03:44 AM
Some may recall this thread from last year (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9679). I decided to take the plunge and join a club over here, and the contrast in my first day at Royal Cinque Ports (http://www.royalcinqueports.com) to Bardwell Valley could not have been greater.

It was recommended by some blokes over here that I check the course out, and as a result of the generosity of a bloke at GCA who is a member there, I was given the opportunity to join. I went down last weekend to play it and was about four holes in when I decided I was going to sign up.

It's about two hours away from London by train, so I won't be down there every weekend, but I am hoping to get a fair bit of golf in as the weather warms up.

Of course I'd be glad to show any OzGolfers around if they find themselves in Blighty.

It's rated #39 in Great Britain and Ireland, and on my list of courses played it's second, only behind NSW. But not far, and it may claim top spot before too long. I never imagined I would be able to join any club over here, let alone such a great one, which was possible thanks to their attractive rates for members aged <30 and living 35 miles or more from Deal - the town in Kent where the club is situated.

What's more, it has reciprocals with all the Aussie Royal courses and Metro in Melbourne, so it might be worth holding onto when I come home.

The only downside to the whole experience is that I was +5 after 15 and finished bogey, triple (from the fairway, 100m out), double! :lol:

Dotty
25th February 2009, 05:05 AM
That's great news, Scottt.

Your past posts have read like you've always wanted to be a member of somewhere like this.

ps. Are you having your wedding reception there ? ;)

Scottt
25th February 2009, 05:10 AM
I always have Dotty, absolutely.

Some good pics here (http://www.golfclubatlas.com/deal1.html)

Andrew
25th February 2009, 05:49 AM
So hang on, let me get this right. Are you saying Bardwell Valley does not compare to RCP? I am shocked, astonished, astounded, even flabbergasted. Who would have thunk.

You have done what I would do if living in London. Although RStG is magnificent, it’s RCP that I would join.

Remember, the summer days are long & 2 rounds in a day with a long lunch in-between is easily doable. Find a cheap overnight place to stay so you can have weekends of golf (especially when you are able to use your RStG, Rye, L privileges) at not too much expense. The Channelview was not 5 star, but ‘comfy’ enough & close to the course.

Have a great time, mate.

Scottt
25th February 2009, 06:19 AM
I thought of you and your membership at Newcastle Andrew. Much the same travelling time.

It will be mostly day trips with some longer trips as well. Easter is a four-day match play knockout with day comps for those who have been eliminated, so that should be a great intro to the club.

Rooms can be had in Deal for 35 or 40 quid. Can't wait to play the course more, and play RSG, Rye and Littlestone. I'm told the club also has a good share of Londoners who are members at the 3 Ws, Sunningdale, New Zealand.

Andrew
25th February 2009, 08:46 AM
I'm told the club also has a good share of Londoners who are members at the 3 Ws, Sunningdale, New Zealand.

Hmmm. That's a real shame.

I think you already know my thoughts on the 3 W's & Sunningdale, but let me say New Zealand GC is quite special as well.

Hey, do me a favour. When you have played the courses at Wentworth once as a members guest (please don't pay their unaccompanied prices), when you get invited again, turn them down politely saying you have to clean your bathrooms or something just as menial. It maybe my perverse sense of humour, but they do think they are the ants pants of London.

Johnny Canuck
25th February 2009, 09:00 AM
Send some photos when you get a chance.

What would a full membership cost if you didn't meet the criteria for the discount, just out of curiousity.

Make sure you take a slab of bundy and roll a cart. The members will love you and talk about you for years to come!

Scottt
25th February 2009, 06:01 PM
:lol:

Overseas membership is pretty cheap JC. Not sure of specifics, but the 2008 rates are on the website, and this year is 5-10% on top of that, I think.

I'll post up some pics tonight.

Jarro
25th February 2009, 07:03 PM
I'll give it a month before some member wants to cave your head in.

Scottt
25th February 2009, 07:08 PM
WTF?

LarryLong
25th February 2009, 07:21 PM
Really impressive course there Scottt. Some of those photos left me wondering if I'd even be game enough to hit the ball. :)

AndyP
25th February 2009, 07:31 PM
I don't think he'll be jumping in a cart with a carton of piss for the Pro-am there.

markTHEblake
25th February 2009, 08:25 PM

http://mine.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/2/9/rofl128470858931406250.jpg

adlo
26th February 2009, 01:02 AM
Overseas membership is pretty cheap JC. Not sure of specifics, but the 2008 rates are on the website, and this year is 5-10% on top of that, I think.

I'll post up some pics tonight.
Keen to see those pics. Course looks great.
The foreign membership deal looks pretty sweet too.

Scottt
26th February 2009, 01:18 AM
Pics. Some mine, some from GCA.

From left:

3rd fairway from 200m out (par 5)
3rd green from right
4th hole, 150y par 3
310y par 4 6th, with a 60* slope fronting the green, and to the left.
8th hole, 150y par 3 ringed by nine bunkers. Sea wall behind the green.
13th tee. par 4

Scottt
26th February 2009, 01:18 AM
A couple more.

From left
Approach to par 5 16th from about 200 out. Both 3 and 16 are easily reachable from members tees, but green sites are massively penal without using sand or water. Great holes.

Clubhouse at dusk. Not too many English golf clubs have a clubhouse that boasts a view of France from its balcony!

Scottt
26th February 2009, 01:25 AM
Keen to see those pics. Course looks great.
The foreign membership deal looks pretty sweet too.

When you price (even forgetting access difficulties) a round or two a year at Royal Syd, RMW, RME, Royal Adelaide and Metro it seems pretty attractive!

adlo
26th February 2009, 01:27 AM
That green on 3 looks insane. I like it.

Scottt
26th February 2009, 01:29 AM
It is.

Here's the 3rd from about 100m short. Pin just visible on the right.

adlo
26th February 2009, 01:30 AM
Wow, how is your bump and run game?

AndyP
26th February 2009, 07:26 AM
Are there any trees to take a leak behind or do you have to take advantage of the mounding or long grass?

Scottt
26th February 2009, 07:34 AM
No trees. Got caught short at Prince's on Sunday. Not good news for me as I usually piss three or four times a round. I'm like a racehorse :lol:

Bruce Dickinson
26th February 2009, 10:28 AM
It is.

Here's the 3rd from about 100m short. Pin just visible on the right.

looks fantastic, the "cant see the whole pin so its unfair " brigade would be having kittens

sms316
26th February 2009, 11:42 AM
When you price (even forgetting access difficulties) a round or two a year at Royal Syd, RMW, RME, Royal Adelaide and Metro it seems pretty attractive!
I don't want to spoil the party, but you may well find that you will not be able to use the reciprocal rights if you are an Overseas Member (ie residing in Australia, and not a Full Member).

You might want to double check this.

Scottt
26th February 2009, 04:34 PM
Every category of membership is "Full Membership" at RCP. I checked.