PDA

View Full Version : Here's one for you Virge

Diggaboy1
24th February 2009, 02:28 PM
Watching the golf on the weekend, and the commentators are always on about swing speeds.

Why is that most Por have such a high swing speed with their driver?

I wouldn't have thought that this was so important, I know these guys are pro's and have great control, but isn't accuracy the most important thing?

Whether you hit 3 x 5 irons or you Driver, 3 iron to a par 5 and then have to chip up, Why is it so necessary to have a swing speed over 110 mph and be able to drive 300+ yards?

3oneday
24th February 2009, 02:31 PM
I know you are probably only wanting Virge to reply, but are you serious ? If you hit 3 5 irons or driver, 3 iron, chip, which do you reckon will be closer ?

henno
24th February 2009, 02:32 PM
I don't know about you, but I am far more accurate with a chip than I am with a 5-iron attacking the pin.

Diggaboy1
24th February 2009, 02:43 PM
May angel here is more about swing speeds, how necessary is it to be working on developing the high swing speeds over a slower more controllable tempo that is more accurate?

virge666
24th February 2009, 02:44 PM
Watching the golf on the weekend, and the commentators are always on about swing speeds.

Why is that most Pros have such a high swing speed with their driver?

I don't understand the Question ?

Why would you not ? Sorry mate - lost...

Jarro
24th February 2009, 02:47 PM
They're Pros Diggaboy ... they practice hitting driver (hard) a hell of a lot.

It's just the way of todays pro golfer

Diggaboy1
24th February 2009, 02:47 PM
The article in this months golfer digest by Nick Faldo. Hit it as far as you can and work on accuracy later.

Personnal I been working on my accuracy and trying to forget about my length, and my handicap is matching down. to the turn of 6 strokes in 12 months, 4 of which has come off in the last 2 months. And I'm feeling a whole lot more confident about my game.

Diggaboy1
24th February 2009, 02:49 PM
I don't understand the Question ?

Why would you not ? Sorry mate - lost...

Accuracy V's Risk ???

Toolish
24th February 2009, 03:04 PM
It is harder to learn power, hence Faldo (and Nicklaus too I think) as well as numerous others have said that wehn learning the game learn to hit it hard then control it.

A couple of notes:
1. The pro's still swing with rhythm and tempo, it is not a jerky lash at the ball like most hackers take when they try to hit it hard.

2. Swing speed is not just about swinging hard, technique and timing have a lot to do with it too, hence part ofthe reason pro's have such high swing speeds.

dc68
24th February 2009, 03:06 PM
Slow your typing tempo and it may become more accurate and easier to understand too.

virge666
24th February 2009, 03:44 PM
Couple of things here.

1. They are VERY good, not like your local pro who is off +4 handicap. Like VERY VERY good.

2. They are all fantastic ball strikers and with modern clubs and that kind of talent - the rough has to be very brutal to slow them down.

3. Most commentators are bloody idiots. Like the two head morons on Channel 10. Grant Dodd and Ozzie Moore have forgotton more about golf than what those two ****wits. Why are they on the ground instead of in the booth?

4. Clubhead speed and swing speed is a fallacy. Ball speed is where the money is.

5. You play at Oxley and like my course - when i take a decent player there - they just tear it apart. The only real problem they have are trees. I took Ubers to Bayview last year and he was 11 under after 14. So for a pro - it is just a matter of getting birdie putts, if you get enough putts - you will go low.

Most Torney pins are tucked. So for him to get a decent putt at a pin - they is a big advantage hitting 8 iron over 6 iron to a tight pin. You will also see a lot of players forcing a nine iron instead of a smooth 8 just to get the ball high and to get it to stop. Phil was hitting 180 yard 9 irons on Sunday.

For a modern pro - power is EVERYTHING. For us - it just isn't that important because the pins are not as hard and we are not good enough at the other parts of the game to really capitalise. A professional player on a non tricked Aussie green will sink over 80% inside 15 feet, and they will get up and down from everywhere.

The power gives you opportunity. Add a bit of luck and they will shoot in the sixties, and that is how you make money.

razaar
24th February 2009, 04:00 PM
Tournament pros have very tightly coiled swings and retain their wrist angle to very late in the swing so that maximmum clubhead speed is achieved just past the ball position. Another feature with the pros is they usually have a faster arm speed (naturally) than body turn; they are trying to speed their hip/body turn to keep up with their arms. Pros are so relaxed & tension free when they swing which encourages speed. Most club golfers have fast bodies and slow arms or slow arms and no body and are full of tension.

Bruce
24th February 2009, 04:24 PM
Virge - the only thing I would question is your 80% number for putts inside 15 feet.

While this study (http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/research/published/golf.pdf) is more than 10 years old I don't see them jumping from 20% of 15 footers to 80% just by changing greens. I'm sure they'd do much better but that is a massive jump in accuracy.

virge666
24th February 2009, 04:48 PM
Virge - the only thing I would question is your 80% number for putts inside 15 feet.

While this study (http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/research/published/golf.pdf) is more than 10 years old I don't see them jumping from 20% of 15 footers to 80% just by changing greens. I'm sure they'd do much better but that is a massive jump in accuracy.

With you COMPLETELY on this.

But there is a huge difference between a A grade tour course and the standard course most of us play. They did a stat check out 3 or 4 years ago on the crappy Pro Am courses in NSW regionals and the top 5 or so players in each round were up around the 80% mark for 15 ft and something stupid for inside 10 ft. They just bashed it at the hole and then bashed it back again. And these a blokes scratching for a living.

But - put them on fast greens and that percentage just plummets. The aggression goes, the subtle breaks come into play and all kinds of bad stuff happens.

Weird huh ?

Diggaboy1
24th February 2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks guys, and Virge. interesting reading

Rusty
24th February 2009, 11:36 PM
... some say he's not a guy. all we know is he's called "Virge".

PeteyD
25th February 2009, 05:07 AM
Some say he did an extended skit as Pinochio on West End, but we know him as the "Virge" ...

virge666
25th February 2009, 07:37 AM
Some say he did an extended skit as Pinochio on West End, but we know him as the "Virge" ...

Actually is was a production of the "Thunderbirds" @ a particular NSW Army regiment dinner.

After quite a few sherbets. Apparently I was very funny, i can't remember much of it.

:)

Bruce
25th February 2009, 09:06 AM
Some say he is developing a three plane swing....

Diggaboy1
25th February 2009, 11:04 AM
Virge, which AXIV would suit my 3 wood.

virge666
25th February 2009, 11:30 AM
AXIV Red would be my choice in 90gr or so.

Diggaboy1
25th February 2009, 01:11 PM
Are you offering to order one for me and fit it if I send the club down?

virge666
25th February 2009, 01:13 PM
Yeah mate - send it down and I will install it for you.

Diggaboy1
25th February 2009, 01:39 PM
what do you want Cash, cheque, Bank deposit, CC???

Rusty
27th February 2009, 11:58 AM
a new helmet