PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 23rd February 2009

Dotty
23rd February 2009, 08:29 PM
38 points

Good - Four 3-pointers for the last four holes.
Bad - Needing the above to post a respectable score.
Ugly - Finding that a full-suspension Smoothy buggy can't be dragged uphill behind a cart. (Unlike a caravan, speeding up doesn't decrease the fishtailing.:oops:)

idgolfguy
23rd February 2009, 11:01 PM
Played the JW Classic front 9 this evening by starting on the 5th and finishing on the 4th. Used the same tees as the pros. The pins were in the same spot as yesterday (Sunday). Hit 40 (2 bogeys and a double). Used Dougherty's round on Sunday morning as a comparison.

Used the same clubs (off the tee where possible) as Dougherty (as a comparison) did for holes 5(3W), 6(3W) and 7(1W) and made par(4s) on those. However, I needed 1 club more on the irons and had to chip/pitch a couple on.

On hole 8, he used a 7 iron. I used a 5 (a bit ofbreeze against) but was 20 ft past but made par.

On hole 9 (Par 5), I used my driver and he used his 3W. I blocked mine into the first right bunker. He was past all the bunkers and played an iron onto the green. He made a 2 putt for a birdie.

I played a 4 iron out and knocked it into the bushes 150m in front. Had to take a drop and pulled an 8 iron pin high into the left bunker. Played the shot out to 7 ft. and took 2 putts for a 7.

I did not see Dougherty play holes 1 and 2 so I surmised his approach based on what I saw others play those holes, his results and how he approached the other holes.

On the 1st, I used a 3W, same as him. He hit his to the middle of the faiway past the left bunker to 110m out. I put mine into the left bunker 135m out. Played and 8 to short of the greenside front bunker. Pitched 25m uphill and left to an 8 footer uphill. 2 putts for bogey. He pitched his on and missed his birdie putt to make par.

On the 2nd, he played 2 iron and was 125m out. I played 2 iron and was 135m out. He hit his 2nd to 5 ft and made birdie. I hit my 8 iron to pin high right and rolled off the green. Made the up and down for par.

On the Par 5 (540m) 3rd, he used driver and so did I. He hit his over the tree to about 270m. I hit mine very high over the tree to 220m against a very strong evening breeze. Probably why my ball went so high (as high as Norman's did earlier in the week - just nowhere near as far). Dougherty played 3W to 15m short of the green. I played 3W to 130m short of the green into a bunker.

Dougherty chipped to 3 ft to make birdie. I played a 7 iron out of the bunker to the edge of the green. I chipped and took 2 putts for another bogey.

Par 3 - 4th hole on Ellenbrook (actually known as the 13th). The hole at the very back is 230m. It was setup for the Pros to be 195m. Dougherty hit a 6 iron to 9ft left and pin high but only made par. He was hitting with a little downwind on Sunday morning. I had a slight breeze in my face at the tee but the flag looked limp. I used my 2 iron which pitched 5m short and rolled down the slope to 6ft right of the pin. Took 2 putts to make par.

Probably try to do the back 9 tomorrow or Wednesday.

adlo
23rd February 2009, 11:16 PM
idgolfguy, The Vines scored a few more points in my book this week. It is a shame the composite layout is not available for play more often.

It is a challenging layout, but there is sufficient width and large greens. It is fun to watch the pros play a course they can score low on, but it is equally capable of producing a double bogey.

idgolfguy
23rd February 2009, 11:35 PM
IMG had given specific instructions on how the course was to be setup. They wanted a close competition with low scores. They also wanted to be sure that the 'name' players could make the cut. Shame about Norman and Villegas. Perhaps if they weren't grouped together.

As with everything there will always be opinions on both sides of the fence. Actually walking and talking with the pros during their practise rounds certainly gave me a better insight into how to play the course.

...Now to see if I can do it...

adlo
23rd February 2009, 11:40 PM
A 40 off the black tees is a good start

idgolfguy
23rd February 2009, 11:51 PM
Yes, got to learn to keep that driver in the bag or give it a full-blooded swing.

adlo
23rd February 2009, 11:53 PM
True. Same swing, different club. Stop steering the thing.

Eag's
24th February 2009, 03:25 PM
Played Virginia Single Stab today.
34 Pts / 2 Wipes
Drove and putted well again but my short iron play is a disgrace :smt102 maybe time for a new set ;)
8 Fairways
4 Greens
31 Putts
7 Pars
8 Bogeys
3 Doubles

Jarro
24th February 2009, 04:25 PM
You did drive the ball very well today Eagsy 8)

... just gotta get that shortgame clicking into gear ;)