PDA

View Full Version : The Plane Truth - Jim Hardy

markTHEblake
22nd February 2009, 02:04 PM
I have started to take an interest in the "One Plane Swing" which is from Jim Hardy and namely his book "The Plane Truth for Golfers"

http://www.jimhardygolf.com/
http://www.planetruthforgolfers.com/

I have only touched on it so far, seems that he teaches both One and Two Plane swing and the golfer needs to determine which one will suit them the best. I really like the idea of the One Plane for me.

My part time golf coach and friend Doug has discovered Jim recently and is embracing it as the path to enlightenment. He hasnt thrown out entirely his Jimmy Ballard methods "The Pivot" as it seems both have strong links to Hogan fundamentals.

I am going to get the Book and DVDs shortly, looking forward to being able to hit a fade.

gazgolf1
22nd February 2009, 04:22 PM
This guy is a Jim Hardy disciple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRzndOkUUl8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E9JauywdRM&feature=related

Jarro
22nd February 2009, 04:58 PM
I've just finished watching the Stack & Tilt discs (thanks just) and Hogan gets a lot of mentions there also

Toolish
22nd February 2009, 05:28 PM
Nearly everyone mentions Hogan. Good for marketing.

andylo
22nd February 2009, 06:36 PM
MTB the year I won the Mcleod Cup and almost won the Wynnum Cup is the year I swung with the 1 plane method. It was quite easy to get a consistent ball flight and there's no back pain problem.

zigwah
22nd February 2009, 07:48 PM
I have started to take an interest in the "One Plane Swing" which is from Jim Hardy and namely his book "The Plane Truth for Golfers"

http://www.jimhardygolf.com/
http://www.planetruthforgolfers.com/

I have only touched on it so far, seems that he teaches both One and Two Plane swing and the golfer needs to determine which one will suit them the best. I really like the idea of the One Plane for me.

My part time golf coach and friend Doug has discovered Jim recently and is embracing it as the path to enlightenment. He hasnt thrown out entirely his Jimmy Ballard methods "The Pivot" as it seems both have strong links to Hogan fundamentals.

I am going to get the Book and DVDs shortly, looking forward to being able to hit a fade.

Come round to my place i'll show u how to hit a massive fade :lol:

Moe Norman
22nd February 2009, 07:54 PM
MTB the year I won the Mcleod Cup and almost won the Wynnum Cup is the year I swung with the 1 plane method.
what method this year?

PeteyD
22nd February 2009, 08:30 PM
Hit Find Hit

andylo
23rd February 2009, 08:53 AM
There's no golf teacher teaching one plane swing at the time in Brisbane (and I believe its still the case) so I have no choice but ditch it.

Same goes to S&T... got some small sucess, but no one teaching it.

Jarro
23rd February 2009, 11:00 AM
There's no golf teacher teaching one plane swing at the time in Brisbane (and I believe its still the case) so I have no choice but ditch it.

Same goes to S&T... got some small sucess, but no one teaching it.

Alo, do you have the Stack and Tilt DVD set ?

They are very informative and really break the whole swing down ..... very easy to follow

andylo
23rd February 2009, 11:18 AM
I don't, but I LOVE to watch it. (Jarro, if you do can I borrow it, pleeeease?)

To me I need a 2nd pair of eye to look at my swing (and the 2nd pair of eye has to be a Golf Professional). My current swing teacher is probably the only one I could trust! So I will stick to his method/theory until I reach the point that I am full confident he has nothing more to offer.

Jarro
23rd February 2009, 11:23 AM
I don't, but I LOVE to watch it. (Jarro, if you do can I borrow it, pleeeease?)

Mate i've just borrowed the 4-disc set from just ... maybe send him a message to see if you can borrow it after i'm done with it.

andylo
23rd February 2009, 12:00 PM
Will do. Jarro. Thanks.

dougkpga
3rd March 2009, 11:28 PM
Hi I haven't visited the forum for quite a few months.
I had one of my occasional games with Mark and Rusty a few weeks ago.
Mark said I hadn't quite thrown out Jimmy Ballard.
Well I have.
Jim Hardy's stuff is gold.
It is the missing link to Ben Hogan's stuff and I have tried to find it for years.
VJ Trolio has some very good stuff as well that add to the puzzle.
I am hitting the ball better than I ever have and my practice just consists of air swings at home.
Rusty and Mark just saw the beginnings of it but it feels great and works great now.

Cheers Doug

markTHEblake
4th March 2009, 06:36 PM
I tried it on the weekend and at practice during the week - all self taught so i probably have no idea, but the immediate reaction was how much more powerful it feels, and less tendency to swing way in to out.

dougkpga
4th March 2009, 10:31 PM
Played Robina today in the Bartercard Ambrose.

Carried the water on 15 and the gully on 16 (5 iron to green), 90m left on the first.

This stuff works.

razaar
5th March 2009, 09:04 AM
From what I've seen of Hardy's method, it is too close to Faldo's swing after Leadbetter and Norman's after Harmon to be a coincidence. If I was Leadbetter or Harmon, I would feel pissed. Faldo's book "A Swing for Life" (1995) is the one plane swing in a nutshell.

gazgolf1
5th March 2009, 12:55 PM
From what I've seen of Hardy's method, it is too close to Faldo's swing after Leadbetter and Norman's after Harmon to be a coincidence. If I was Leadbetter or Harmon, I would feel pissed. Faldo's book "A Swing for Life" (1995) is the one plane swing in a nutshell.

Good explanation of the one plane swing although I dont think he executes it very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YTPvDoKLyE

This swing is better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1NfP2R4mvg&feature=related

Sorry razaar but I've never seen anything "one plane" about Nick Faldo's swing.Past his prime in this vid but an interesting one for TM Ho's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru2hEarRxD4&feature=related

razaar
5th March 2009, 01:27 PM
One of the features of the one plane swing is the position of the left forearm at the top of the backswing is parallel to the plane of the shaft at address and the right forearm is on the same plane at the completion of the backswing. This was commonly taught in the eighty's and is the least complicated way to keep in plane. A high hands position at address just looks tidier.

dougkpga
5th March 2009, 04:11 PM
Hi Razaar,

Thanks for your input.

You seem to be very knowledgable about all things in the golf swing.

What are you playing off?

Cheers Doug

razaar
5th March 2009, 04:57 PM
Doug I am nearing my mid sixties and full of arthritis...the golf swing is a passion of mine. I was lucky to spend my earlier golfing days around some good pros who were very helpful. The practice fairways at pro-ams and tournaments was a great source of swing info. The pros would always help each other out and test the latest swing techniques. If one sticks around long enough you get to see a rehash of fundamentals that were common place before the information technology boom provided a means of profit and access to the general public. These forums are a means of passing on knowledge gathered over the years from somebody who has tried most techniques over a span of 40+years. Handicap is 6 and going out I hope.

dougkpga
5th March 2009, 06:11 PM
It's funny. I learned the Leadbetter stuff in the early 90s. It was flavour of the month with the Pure Golf crew who ran the VIS.

My boss and I went through the whole thing to no avail. This was quite a talented pro who played in the Masters at Huntingdale and ended up giving the game away.

I too have tried a lot of techniques trying to find what Hogan had. Leadbetter's book on Hogan was possibly the worst golf book ever written.

That said having been through all Leadbetter's stuff I believe Jim Hardy's book, dvds and technique are a long way from the rubbish Leadbetter serves up.

Harmon is a different case, his teaching video reveals nothing but a few well worn cliches and his book isn't anything earth shattering. The sad thing is that he should know as he had direct contact with the great players of the 50s through his Dad.

Jim Hardy makes Hogan's swing as easy to do as is humanly possible in my humble opinion.

If you can count to 3, you can play some pretty good golf once you understand the simplicity of the moves Jim talks about.

I wish Bob Torrance would do a book because he is on the right track with Harrington.

kwantfm
5th March 2009, 06:24 PM
I wish Bob Torrance would do a book because he is on the right track with Harrington.

He did...

http://www.amazon.com/Golf-Torrance-Way-Room-Top/dp/0330313673/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236241390&sr=8-1

I have a copy somewhere...

dougkpga
5th March 2009, 06:27 PM
Hey thanks Kwant...

dougkpga
5th March 2009, 06:39 PM
They didn't give much detail on the amazon page about Bob. Can you give us a quick review?

kwantfm
5th March 2009, 06:41 PM
I haven't read it in a long time and my golf swing knowledge is less than many on this site.

I'll try to find my copy and I can send it up to you if you want to borrow it.

Baz
5th March 2009, 06:43 PM
Has anyone had a lesson from the pro at the Glades gary something , or know him. His teaching method is , "the right sided swing" !!

razaar
5th March 2009, 07:08 PM
Yes Doug you are right about Leadbeaters books being misleading. In those days pros kept lots of knowledge close to their chest. What he wrote in his books was never intended for the aspiring champion or advanced golfer but to help the weekend golfer. Even Hogan's book was obviously written for the masses. Of all the pros of his era I would put Hogan's swing up as the swing that any good golfer could copy. Compared to others in his era, Hogan's swing looks pretty ordinary when you see it. When it is broken down into segments it is the most fundamentally sound swing of all of them (and a swing that is in the reach of most); it is just not pleasing to the eye. When I first saw it on film, my first thought was "what are his hips doing on his backswing". Gerry Hogan's book not Ben Hogan's book provided the explanation.

Many club pros became disciples of Leadbetter, Ian Triggs was one. Triggsy now acknowledges that he got some of it it wrong, particularly about the turn. Because Faldo is such a tall guy with more hip angle than a shorter person his shoulders and head will move more to the right in the backswing. Faldo was the model for these disciples so what he did was the law even if the body types were different. I guess your friend falls into that category.

dougkpga
5th March 2009, 08:29 PM
Yea, I was fortunate enough to spend a bit of time with Gerry. If that book was written properly it would have been one of the best. Gerry knew a heck of a lot about a lot of things, including golf.

Mac O'Grady was filthy on Leadbetter using his swing model for his book. It was Mac's swing with McNulty's head I think.

markTHEblake
5th March 2009, 08:39 PM
Has anyone had a lesson from the pro at the Glades gary something " !!

Baz, that kind of trash talk is banned from this thread :wink:

PeteyD
5th March 2009, 09:02 PM
Funny that Gerry Hogan book. I have gone back to it after reading 5 lessons and a lot of the stuff on WRX about the 'hogan secret' and it makes more sense now.

jorjax
5th March 2009, 09:56 PM
PeteyD, so much stuff has been written about the hogan secret,has the secret ever been found.
Im betting the secret is somewhere in many hours of practicing,what do you think his secret.
He wrote somewhere that the crowd was amazed that he did something special with whatever shot he played this day,he said something along the lines "it wasnt so special to me" because it was a shot that he had practiced many many times.Dont quote me word for word,but it went something like that......cheers

Toolish
5th March 2009, 10:16 PM
I got the Gerry Hogan book when I was about 14, read the first chapter and was lost. Must dig it out again.

PeteyD
5th March 2009, 10:22 PM
My comment was in reference to a particular thread on Golfwrx, not the hogan secret as such. The secret is in the dirt etc.

virge666
5th March 2009, 10:28 PM
Leadbetter's book on Hogan was possibly the worst golf book ever written.

That said having been through all Leadbetter's stuff I believe Jim Hardy's book, dvds and technique are a long way from the rubbish Leadbetter serves up.

Harmon is a different case, his teaching video reveals nothing but a few well worn cliches and his book isn't anything earth shattering. The sad thing is that he should know as he had direct contact with the great players of the 50s through his Dad.

I could not agree more !

Marketing vs the ability to pass on Knowledge. I reckon Mickelson will really show how good or bad Harmon is.

Does Leadbetter have anyone at all is his stable ?

jorjax
5th March 2009, 10:29 PM
Funny that Gerry Hogan book. I have gone back to it after reading 5 lessons and a lot of the stuff on WRX about the 'hogan secret' and it makes more sense now.

I see,in the dirt? thats a strange one,what does it mean "in the dirt",feet being planted,or maybe divot,indeed does anybody really knows what was meant by -in the dirt

virge666
5th March 2009, 10:32 PM
I see,in the dirt? thats a strange one,what does it mean "in the dirt",feet being planted,or maybe divot,indeed does anybody really knows what was meant by -in the dirt

In the practice tee.

PeteyD
5th March 2009, 10:33 PM
http://sevam1.blogspot.com/

The main info from the thread before it went off the rails is on there

jorjax
5th March 2009, 10:33 PM
In the practice tee.

GOLD:smt038:smt038:smt038

zigwah
5th March 2009, 10:34 PM
if you guys are talking about butch harmon, wasn't he normans coach at the height of his powers?

jorjax
5th March 2009, 10:36 PM
if you guys are talking about butch harmon, wasn't he normans coach at the height of his powers?

NO,later

markTHEblake
2nd October 2009, 11:14 PM
I have been a bit slow on the uptake with this One Plane Swing thing.

I took the time to start watching the Jim Hardy DVD. up till now I had just been watching the youtube crap.

One of the key things that I thought was very interesting was when he said he doesnt beleive in the teaching method that "keep practicing that, you will eventually start getting it right" instead he says that if you are taught something new, you should be improving with the very next shot, and if not, you did it wrong.

I only finished the intro DVD and tried out just one of the little things he mentioned, and this is before he got into the technique, and instantly, i could feel so much more power immediately. I then pulled out a 3Wood that up till now I hated the shaft, and could barely get it off the ground, yet I was hitting it off the deck and nailing it, one after the other.

I think i am gunna like this.

Courty
3rd October 2009, 07:13 AM
I've been looking for a copy of this, Blakey. Any clues where I can source one?

schanop
3rd October 2009, 07:21 AM
Hi Courty,

I have a set of Jim Hardy stuff: The Plane Truth 3 DVD set, the drill DVD and The Plane Truth for golfer master class book. PM me if you are interested.

PeteyD
3rd October 2009, 07:22 AM
http://www.golfzone.com.au/golf/jim-hardy-aa-the-plane-truth-dvd-set-best-seller.html

markTHEblake
3rd October 2009, 08:58 AM

yes, i converted my DVDs to Xvids, and i will bring my apple hackintosh netbook to the champs. It will probably be left lying around the hotel room and there is no password, you could watch it any time you like. Just dont get any wise ideas, in any case there is no optical drive, so you wont be able to burn it to a disc !

Courty
3rd October 2009, 09:01 AM
Does it have USB? ;)

virge666
3rd October 2009, 09:32 AM

Ask Haysey - I just sent him the 4 DVD's.

haysey
3rd October 2009, 04:37 PM

You should try and get your hands on a copy. I hear they're very good

Ask Haysey - I just sent him the 4 DVD's.

DVD's....What DVD's? No idea what you're talking about:lol:

zigwah
3rd October 2009, 06:18 PM
Would love to get my hands on a copy of these :)

virge666
3rd October 2009, 10:55 PM
It si on my laptop - will be bringing to the champs - you are welcome to watch.

One of my favourite set of DVD's ever. He breaks down every part of the swing and allows you to build your own swing. It is by far a must have for the golfing collection.

The only thing i dont agree with is his prefernce for the single plane swing. I much prefer a 2 plane setup. His reasons for the single over the 2 plane are biased and flawed IMHO.

Enjoy

Rusty
6th October 2009, 08:47 AM
okay Blakey what "little bit" of info was it for ya??

markTHEblake
6th October 2009, 06:35 PM
rotating the chest instead of the shoulders.

Jarro
6th October 2009, 07:05 PM
But you don't have a chest ?

Yossarian
13th December 2010, 09:40 PM
Virge would you favour one type over the other or much of a muchness?

macjackass
14th December 2010, 08:24 AM
Virge would you favour one type over the other or much of a muchness?

Post #51

Yossarian
14th December 2010, 12:01 PM
I know, that was over a year ago and I was interested in expanding the reasons why one was favoured over the other.