PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry V I-Phone V Nokia E71 Phone

golfnugget76
20th February 2009, 02:12 PM
Hello All!

I'm looking at getting a new phone, with the main criteria being an ability to read and send emails. Preferably I need something that can syncronise with Microsoft office (my understanding is that this is not possible on the IPhone???).

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated, as would any good deals going at the moment.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dazza
20th February 2009, 02:19 PM
Wife got the Blackberry storm about a month ago. She loves it, the touch screen makes it too easy!
$79/month on a Vodafone Business cap for 24 months (Called a business plan, but anyone can get it) With 3 months access free. Ends up bringing it back to about $69/month.

$79 Vodafone single Business Cap for BlackBerry® Storm™ smartphone with 3 months FREE access

$79 plan over 24 months includes:
3 months FREE access+
FREE* BlackBerry® Storm™ smartphone
Unlimited* BlackBerry® Email and Internet
560 minutes and 200 TXTs a month
No flagfall on any standard domestic calls

http://store.vodafone.com.au/blackberrystorm/Home.aspx

We went to one store and mentioned the deal online, but he wouldn't give us the 3 months free access for some reason. Said the deal they advertise online is not available through some stores because they're run as franchises.
Also said that the Blackberry was crap, and proceeded to show us an article written by a journo who'd used the phone for 2 days and had written it off already. Then proceeded to show us all the Iphone Fanboi comments about the article, bagging the Blackberry.

Headed to Townsville, and got the 3 months free. No dramas!

Hope that helps!!!

Fishman Dan
20th February 2009, 02:25 PM
Hello All!

I'm looking at getting a new phone, with the main criteria being an ability to read and send emails. Preferably I need something that can syncronise with Microsoft office (my understanding is that this is not possible on the IPhone???).

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated, as would any good deals going at the moment.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Your understanding is misguided, and/or you've been talking to a salesman who doesn't like iPhones.

The Nokia E71 is the best consumer device. Simplest to use, and you're not locked into a BlackBerry. This is the most commonly supported phone our company runs presently (including the predecessor - the E61i).

The iPhone is the best device of the lot, but very heavy on multimedia, and you will need a significant data package on top of your normal calls + text (telco's offer these in a bundle).

BlackBerry's suck, unless you are given one by your office. There is no reason for a consumer to use a BlackBerry. In the enterprise (not the spaceship), they are very popular.

I use an 8 Gb iPhone synch'ing with Microsoft Exchange (Outlook), and it's the best device I've ever used. This is on the back of the HTC TyTN II, a Samsung BlackJack, and the Palm Treo. I used the BlackBerry at my last job, and although I concede that there are more recent handsets than what I used, I think they are poor in comparison.

Another option is the new Google phone being released by HTC... although I'm hearing bad reviews (early days though).

henno
20th February 2009, 03:11 PM
The Nokia E70 is the pinacle of human achievement, and I love it more than my family:

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2003/gramps35nk8.gif

Source: The iPhone is a piece of shit, and so is your face. (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone)

virge666
20th February 2009, 03:43 PM
Listen to Fisho - I cannot tell you how much of a pain the arse Blackberrys are.

The billing, technology and architecture deserves to be left in the late 90's.

IPhone is the best gadget, the Nokia is more robust.

Avoid the Blackberry, they are like Macintosh people - they all have to keep telling each other how good they are, just to keep themselves from relising that they are too old, too expensive and not fast enough.

adlo
20th February 2009, 03:47 PM
The Nokia E70 is the pinacle of human achievement, and I love it more than my family:

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2003/gramps35nk8.gif

Source: The iPhone is a piece of shit, and so is your face. (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone)
Quality website. Hours of fun and laughter to be had.

Fishman Dan
20th February 2009, 04:12 PM
Besides, Tube8 has an iPhone enabled version of its site ;)

goughy
20th February 2009, 05:29 PM
If you're not after telstra, then also look at the samsung omnia! I got mine on a special deal from optus online free on a 24mnth plan - $49 for $300 of calls/txt etc and another $5 for data package. I luuuuuuuuuv it, and it can cut and paste ;)

8g storage and can take up to 16g cards. Screen resoution and size is a touch down on the iphone but I don't notice it. Downloaded a free keyboard program which is fantastic and makes it uber easy to use. Also have full navigation on it now too with tomtom and it works sweet so far.

PeteyD
20th February 2009, 06:40 PM
I just got an HP 612c. Very nice bit of gear.

Moe Norman
20th February 2009, 07:37 PM
I have a Blackberry, but its company issue.

I like it, and I like that its smaller than the other options, but I also don't have a choice and don't really use it for anything other than e-mail and phonecalls. I do like the way it syncs perfectly with my outlook, especially on contacts and calendar.

goughy
20th February 2009, 08:20 PM
The main thing that turned me off blackberry's were the plans you have to get them on.

Moe Norman
20th February 2009, 08:29 PM
mine is company issue.

If I went back to being a personal phone user, I would just get a phone. One that makes and receives calls and text messages.

I ****ing hate getting e-mails!

goughy
20th February 2009, 08:33 PM
Gotta love those company issues!!

I need to have pda functionality. And I like the emails simply because it's the best way to contact clikchic at work. Other than that I don't get them from anybody.

Ned
20th February 2009, 08:36 PM
What about these ones ? (http://www.news.com.au/technology/gallery/0,23607,5037525-5014321,00.html)

PeteyD
20th February 2009, 08:37 PM
This is the one I got.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/au/en/ho/WF05a/215348-215348-64929-3352590-3352590-3544356.html

markTHEblake
20th February 2009, 09:18 PM
Preferably I need something that can syncronise with Microsoft office

Get a phone that runs Windows Mobile 6.

Synchronising can be a nuisance with the non-windows phones, there always seems to be some little thing that doesnt work out right.

CanuckDownUnder
21st February 2009, 08:16 AM
I've used the Blackberry from work back in the day and said I would never go back to one due to poor reliability and slow processing. Well I did. And I paid the price. The Bold is a POS. After countless repairs and having a fellow Canadian and RIM rep @ the gym say that the Bolds and Storm have software issues that they are working on made me switch back to a reliable Nokia and the E71. It's like going back (or taking back) that girl you are so attracted to, F*'s you over at the end of it all. Again.

Just my 2 cents which by the time you read this is now worth 1.3 cents

golfnugget76
21st February 2009, 12:40 PM
Wow, thanks everyone - some great info there. It's great to hear about diffrent experiences - i appreciate your feedback!

The only problem is I am now considering about 10 different phones!

goughy
21st February 2009, 01:21 PM
Sux doesn't it! And then you have the HTC Touch Diamond 2 and Pro 2 in the wings, the Samsung Omnia HD.

Moe Norman
21st February 2009, 03:36 PM
I've used the Blackberry from work back in the day and said I would never go back to one due to poor reliability and slow processing. Well I did. And I paid the price. The Bold is a POS. After countless repairs and having a fellow Canadian and RIM rep @ the gym say that the Bolds and Storm have software issues that they are working on made me switch back to a reliable Nokia and the E71. It's like going back (or taking back) that girl you are so attracted to, F*'s you over at the end of it all. Again.

Just my 2 cents which by the time you read this is now worth 1.3 centseveryone at work that upgraded to the bold has been complaining, I still have the old pearl one that doesn't have the full keyboard and its been fine.

I wouldn't mind one of those new storm ones, but IT tell me that Testra don't support them.

WBennett
21st February 2009, 03:49 PM
I've got a Curve through work and its a beauty. Bolds are too big, easily damaged POS