PDA

View Full Version : Washing Machines

AndyP
19th February 2009, 09:48 PM
We're in the market for a washing machine, so I'm after good/bad reports of brands and models.

We did have a Whirlpool Commercial Heavy Duty 5.5kg by Speed Queen for at least 11 years, and a previous owner probably had it for 7 years before that. In the time we owned it, we only replaced the hoses and never had a service call.

Grunt
19th February 2009, 09:52 PM
Our old Hoover packed it in a few years back and we got an LG 8kg upright. Has been good so far. Not sure how long they are built to last nowadays but I bet it is no longer than 10.

Bruce
19th February 2009, 09:53 PM
We've had the Fischer and Paykel Smartdrive for 10 years now.

No gearbox eliminates 95% of washing machine failure options.

markTHEblake
19th February 2009, 09:54 PM
I bought a whirlpool when i got married, and i reckon its gunna last longer than the missus. Well at least i think it still works. Come to think of it, i might not have been in my laundry before.

AndyP
19th February 2009, 10:02 PM
I think these new fandangled electronics might cause some failures.

The whitegoods electrician we got to look at our now dead washing machine seemed to have it in for Fisher & Paykel (rated top by Choice), while he thought the Simpsons were fine (rated near the bottom by Choice). Unfortunately Choice can't really assess reliability, so it's based on performance, etc.

Dotty
19th February 2009, 10:13 PM
I asked the same question 10 years ago, and got a Whirlpool front loader. Problem-free for 3 loads a week, but you may need something bigger with a family or for doonas/blankets.

Dazza
19th February 2009, 10:31 PM
Growing up, we always had a Simpson. Handled Bore water quite well.
I bought a Simpson 3 years ago, no dramas so far.

rodders
19th February 2009, 10:34 PM
Got a bosch front loader - missus says great....i never have used it to be honest but seems to do a good job on the wine stains. Her mum works at Harvey norman and says whatever you do....run from samsung - most returned apparently.

Had a F and P years ago, one of the first electronic. May be good now but ours was a heap of shite that the technician on his fourth visit said get a refund.

zigwah
19th February 2009, 10:36 PM
never ever buy an LG product i bought a plasma from them died just after 12 months, brought a second plasma didnt learn my lesson in internal tuner rooted, bought an lg pvr at the same time as the 2nd plasma it has had issues with 7 HD no video, and still no software updates from LG bought my daughter a mini hi fi rooted after 12 moths and my other daughter bought and lg phone and it died in 3 months

Do yourself a favour dont go LG cause life aint good with them.

markTHEblake
19th February 2009, 10:48 PM
The whitegoods electrician we got to look at our now dead washing machine seemed to have it in for Fisher & Paykel

Even 12 years ago, the only way to diagnose a Fisher &Paykel washing machine was to connect a computer to it. the Service guy i knew had a couple laptops especially for the purpose. well you couldnt call it a laptop really, it was a monochrome screen and the keyboard was a separate attachment and wrapped in a canvas bag. i think it was a 386 and needed special software.

oh yeah, what was my point. I guess if the guy wasnt a licenced F&P mechanic it was a pain for him to fix them.

LarryLong
19th February 2009, 10:54 PM
Our F&P is on its 3rd circuit board in 5 years. Can't they just make a machine with no electronic crap and a big button that just says "WASH"?

FWIW my wife's (big) family had a Maytag for over 20 years. Costs a bomb to get one, but they have a reputation for lasting forever. Theirs could probably have washed a load of towels while resisting an attack from a sherman tank, but I don't know if they make them like that these days.

BrisVegas
19th February 2009, 11:03 PM
Electrolux front loader. No dramas with it in 3 years and it does a heap of washing. Are there still govt rebates for front loaders?

andylo
19th February 2009, 11:23 PM
AP, depends on what you want.

If you are like me, who wants new technology in a washing machine that cheap as chip, go LG! (but prepare to get a new one every 3 years or so... but at least you get to try new tech every so often)

On the other hand, you want REAL reliability, Miele or Bosch. Bloody expensive and they are not fancy (heck they even are ugly to look at) but my Bosch still running strong after probably 15 years... and the Miele in HK's home (just above a decade) has NEVER has a problem.

3oneday
20th February 2009, 08:14 AM
We have Fisher & Paykel, got it prior to our 10 year old being born. It has broken down a few times but has been easily and cheaply fixed. Probably get's used 4 or 5 times I week (but hell, how would I know for sure :lol:).

The only problem we have is if it is too full it sometimes leaves grease marks on sheets etc.

goughy
20th February 2009, 08:20 AM
We've also got a f&p, had it fixed once which took no time at all. How many loads a week does it do!! I'd guess no less than 10, probably more even!!! Kids and their dirty clothes...

kev
20th February 2009, 08:24 AM
Had a Fisher and Paykel Smartdrive for about 12 years now. It has survived 5 moves, including 1 interstate.

moree golfer
20th February 2009, 09:00 AM
I think these new fandangled electronics might cause some failures.

The whitegoods electrician we got to look at our now dead washing machine seemed to have it in for Fisher & Paykel (rated top by Choice), while he thought the Simpsons were fine (rated near the bottom by Choice). Unfortunately Choice can't really assess reliability, so it's based on performance, etc.
Our 7 yr old Simpson would get to a spin cycle and not proceed. Repairman said don't bother repairing buy a new one and buy Fisher&Paykel as its easier to get parts and Aussie made. We took his advice and have been very happy with it although it's barely 2 mths old. Got the extended warranty and should be getting a cashback soon.

Mum's got a Maytag and it's still going 15 yrs on. It truly is mechanical and while expensive there is no computer or circuit board so I guess less to go wrong.

Chris32
20th February 2009, 09:22 AM
We've had a Fisher & Paykel for just on 5 years now, 3 moves and it does about 6 loads a week and hasn't missed a beat. Same with the dryer

TheTrueReview
20th February 2009, 09:28 AM
One word -> Miele. You'll never look back.

markTHEblake
20th February 2009, 09:57 AM
The only problem we have is if it is too full it sometimes leaves grease marks on sheets etc.

that happened to me with one machine, was living in fully furnished accomadation and when i told the HR bloke he instantly said 'its stuffed' and i had a new one in two days. Not worth fixing he said.

Jarro
20th February 2009, 05:26 PM
LG frontloader

Courty
20th February 2009, 06:49 PM
No idea what ours is... I'll ask the missus. ;)

Jarro
20th February 2009, 06:55 PM
No idea what ours is... I'll ask the missus. ;)

.. after you cook dinner ?

:p

Dotty
20th February 2009, 06:55 PM
Haysey got rid of their washer, as it was taking up valuable club storage space. :lol:

haysey
20th February 2009, 07:15 PM
Haysey got rid of their washer, as it was taking up valuable club storage space. :lol:

:mrgreen:

We have a washing machine????:-s

AndyP
20th February 2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback, peoples. It really does look like it could be a bit of a lottery as to whether the machine will last the distance or not.

The missus lost patience today and decided to get a cheaper 9.5kg Simpson model with a 5 year warranty. Fingers crossed it is not a PITA.

Moe Norman
20th February 2009, 07:23 PM
We have a massive Maytag thing. I seem to remember it cost a bit, but its never had an issue and I even used to have to wash 22 rugby jumpers every weekend when I was a coach and it was no drama at all.

I only got jersey wash for AFL once last year and it handled it superbly also.

On the odd occasion I do the family washing, it can handle the kids basket full and our basket full and I don't even need to put it on the 'high water level' setting.

I also have an aversion to electronics, and if I ever buy another one it will be another one witha 'dial' instead of buttons.

Golfnut
20th February 2009, 11:18 PM
Can't go wrong with a Kleenmaid top loader.....absolute work horse.....a few extra $$$'s over the regular brands but these things are built to last. Everyone in my family that have owned one have all seen well over 10 years of reasonably trouble free serivice from them and they cope a hiding week in, week out.

henno
20th February 2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback, peoples. It really does look like it could be a bit of a lottery as to whether the machine will last the distance or not.

The missus lost patience today and decided to get a cheaper 9.5kg Simpson model with a 5 year warranty. Fingers crossed it is not a PITA.

Oh, yikes. Simpson are without a doubt one of the worst brands floating around. They also happen to be one of the cheapest, so it's the usual "Hyundai-versus-BMW" financial balance. If two Simpson washers last longer than one Bosch for more than half the price each, then you win!

The 5 year warranty was a good idea. I just hope it spends more time in your laundry then at the repairers. :?

AndyP
21st February 2009, 10:01 AM
If two Simpson washers last longer than one Bosch for more than half the price each, then you win!That was the opinion of the electrician too. Reviews look terrible, but I can blame any problems completely on the missus, as I wasn't allowed to conduct my normal purchase research.

Fancy features weren't needed, so it's a basic model without the electronics. Australian made too, so KRudd would be happy with that.

I will update the header post with pics soon.......

v205
22nd February 2009, 08:43 PM
LG DVD / divx player died after 6 mths. Replacement still going strong though after 2 years though. *touch wood*

Recently got a Miele 6kg front loader. Excellent design and clean wash.

never ever buy an LG product i bought a plasma from them died just after 12 months, brought a second plasma didnt learn my lesson in internal tuner rooted, bought an lg pvr at the same time as the 2nd plasma it has had issues with 7 HD no video, and still no software updates from LG bought my daughter a mini hi fi rooted after 12 moths and my other daughter bought and lg phone and it died in 3 months

Do yourself a favour dont go LG cause life aint good with them.