PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Accommodation Question

Boonie
16th February 2009, 01:37 PM
Aussie Amateur is being played at RQ and Virginia in late March and I'm planning on playing at this stage. The event website has the following accomm suggestions:

Virginia Palms, Brisbane Riverview, The Inchcolm, Quay West Suites and a few airport hotels.

My question for the locals is:

Should I stay close to RQ and Virginia, and if so what are the above options like? Any dogs or standouts?

Or am I better off staying in the Brisbane CBD (and if so is there a specific area I should look at)? I'm keen to be close to a decent coffee and some decent quality cafes. If I have a few hours to kill each day I would prefer to be able to walk to places than use the car.

Both courses don't seem to be far from the CBD - would 20 mins be right?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Last time I was in Brisbane I spent my entire week at Indooroopily GC, Brisbane GC and in the pub near the uni (the RE?).

dc68
16th February 2009, 02:06 PM
Depending what time you go from the CBD to RQ it can range from 15mins to an hour depending on traffic. If there is a smash on the gateway Kingsford Simth drive can be horrendus. I would say stay in the city but leave yourself plenty of travel time to RQ. Virginia should not pose a problem. But you will need a car or taxi to RQ as public transport to that area is non existent.

dc68
16th February 2009, 02:08 PM
The powerhouse at Hamilton or a Motor inn ( there are a number of them in Hamilton) would be a good spot accom wise as you are close to Racecourse Rd which is a hoity toity cafe strip where you could get a decent coffee and the Hamo is there for a beer or a feed.

Sasquatch
16th February 2009, 02:10 PM
My company uses The Oaks Group for accomodation in Brisbane CBD. 8 locations of very nice, modern, self contained apartments. Everyone likes them & so far Oaks Felix seems to be the favorite. http://www.theoaksgroup.com.au/List.aspx?state=0&lid=4

dc68
16th February 2009, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the back up Dick.

TheTrueReview
16th February 2009, 02:41 PM
The powerhouse at Hamilton or a Motor inn ( there are a number of them in Hamilton) would be a good spot accom wise as you are close to Racecourse Rd which is a hoity toity cafe strip where you could get a decent coffee and the Hamo is there for a beer or a feed.

Boonie,
I reckon that racecourse road area at Hamilton is right up your alley.
It will take away any traffice snarls en route to golf.
You got your poofy latte world happening up there and the Hammo pub.
Short walk to the citykat which can run you into the city if you want a change of scenery.

Boonie, I live in that area & dc68's advice is spot on. It's a perfect location. You'll be out of the city (who cares) and a convenient distance from both golf courses & within walking distance of Racecourse Road & also the new Portside development at Hamilton. There'll be more than enough to amuse you in those places during your downtime.

Jarro
16th February 2009, 06:18 PM
..and the Pinkenba pub is just up the road if you want a stink.

.. or the Banyo Tavern 8-)