PDA

View Full Version : Hey kpac! Ever heard of Google Maps?

Bruce
8th February 2009, 07:11 PM
With Shavey, kpac's mate and kpac's mate's missus down from Qld for the weekend, we merged our plans and decided to spend the night down at Mornington. The bloodnut claimed he had some value accommodation sorted

Flowergirl was generously hosting us for dinner Saturday night and lives less than 10 minutes from the Moonah course. All we had to do was go back to our room for a quick shower and head round for a delicious curry. Kpac had the GPS with him so we were going to follow him to our accommodation. We load up the cars, head out the driveway and down the road.

My phone rings. It is my spoon-buddy in the lead wagon.

"The GPS is telling me this place is 30 minutes away!"
"What! Where is this place"
"It's in Tyabb"
I think I know Tyabb. I think it is up near Frankston.
"Kent! WTF are we doing we're going halfway back to Melbourne!"
<insert incredulous bagging of the guy who made the booking>

So we followed him to the Peninsula Motel, including an exit of the freeway 10km too early and having to get straight back on it.

We are on the Mornington Peninsula. An area renowned as a holiday destination and we are driving nearly 50km after a long hot day on the golf course to get to our motel, so we can grab a few hours kip and drive 50km back in the morning for a 6:50AM tee time.

There must be at least 100 other places we could have stayed at that were closer to Moonah and The Dunes. A quick look on Google Maps reveals this picture in the attachment.

The red beds indicate venues that have setup even the most basic google ads - I'm sure there are plenty more.

I refer to the venue as a flea pit as it, quite literally, was. Shavey had a couple of the little buggers bouncing around with him as woke up Sunday morning and kpac's mate had a couple of bite marks. (Although that might have been his missus)

So mate, next time you go looking around for somewhere to stay, I recommend a site called http://maps.google.com.au - it has a couple of nice features in it - like finding out where things are in relation to other things.

YOU IDIOT!

But thanks for a top weekend. It was a hoot.

AndyP
8th February 2009, 07:14 PM
Fair go, Bruce. He is a redhead.

BrisVegas
8th February 2009, 08:19 PM
geez you're a cranky old **** bruce. :wink:

Fishman Dan
8th February 2009, 08:22 PM
With all due respect, when you're down at Moonah there's only one direction you can head to flee the state..

kpac
9th February 2009, 10:45 AM
I thought it was a really nice motor in personally. They had all the creature comforts...

Bruce
9th February 2009, 11:21 AM
They had ****en CREATURES!!

And the crocheted curtains from 1965 were delightful.

kpac
9th February 2009, 01:52 PM
It was a bloody great motor inn. I actually regret not taking some photos to post. :)

It wasn't the newest accomodation in the area, but it did have a runway for the rich and famous to fly in. Lovely quite area, perfect excape from the rat race. Central to everything i would have thought.... ;)

ok - ok it was propper rubbish!!

PeteyD
9th February 2009, 01:55 PM
Haha!

poidda
9th February 2009, 02:03 PM
Any chance kpac is organising the champs this year?

Bruce
9th February 2009, 04:16 PM
Any chance kpac is organising the champs this year?

He did have some suggestions.

He thought we could stay at Palm Meadows again but play one round at Paradise Palms.

shavey
9th February 2009, 06:29 PM
He did have some suggestions.

He thought we could stay at Palm Meadows again but play one round at Paradise Palms.

:smt046

Went searching for an image last night and stumbled across some tripadvisor reports on the 'Inn and was very surprised. Me thinks they might be doing their own posts...