PDA

View Full Version : Head Down Drills

snuffythewonderpilot
7th February 2009, 10:48 PM
Hi to every one out there since i was last on line i have upgraded clubs,drivers,putter & bag bnd in return i have picked up myself a head lifting problem, i practice in my back yard keeping my head down on my swing which i do pretty good untill the next day during my round which ends in disaster so was wondering if you guys new of any drills that may help.

Johnny Canuck
7th February 2009, 11:07 PM
no drills, just make sure that you see the club head contact the ball. the more you do it, the more it will become habit and second nature. soon, you won't have to worry about it anymore.

Minor_Threat
7th February 2009, 11:14 PM
Fish hooks into the nutsack?

3oneday
8th February 2009, 07:54 AM
I was always taught that keeping your head down too long restricts your swing, so what JC says is probably 100%. Once you contact your head/eyes start to follow the ball ?

razaar
8th February 2009, 07:56 AM
Your problem may be caused by incorrect posture and the common mistake of lowering your head towards your chest. Keep your chin up and maintain plenty of clearance between your chin and your chest. Make this a priority in your set-up on every shot and only swing at a speed that allows you to see the ball position post contact until the right shoulder pulls your head up.

markTHEblake
8th February 2009, 01:24 PM
i have picked up myself a head lifting problem

Don't get sucked in by this ancient myth. Watch David Duval and Annika Sorrenstam seemingly lift their head before they hit the ball.

You are lifting your head because your brain is subconsciously trying to correct prior fault/s - and that is what you need to fix.

You could try tying a piece of string through your nose and around your balls but all that is going to do is create more faults.

virge666
8th February 2009, 02:00 PM
Don't get sucked in by this ancient myth. Watch David Duval and Annika Sorrenstam seemingly lift their head before they hit the ball.

+1 on all that - get the body moving through the ball.

DO NOT keep your head down with anything except the putter.

:)

Johnny Canuck
8th February 2009, 02:06 PM
Keeping the head down the whole way through can lead to some nice injuries.

Toolish
8th February 2009, 06:45 PM
duval and annika don't so much lift as swivel...but the idea of keeping the head down is another one of those 'good intention, bad results' type deals we seem to get when mates give mates swing advice.

Flowergirl
9th February 2009, 09:31 AM
Don't think of it as keeping your head down but more as maintaining your spine angle. The spine angle you have at address should be constant throughout your swing - or so my pro tells me.

virge666
9th February 2009, 12:38 PM
Don't think of it as keeping your head down but more as maintaining your spine angle. The spine angle you have at address should be constant throughout your swing - or so my pro tells me.

True - but that also can restrict the backswing and the hips...

Get your head to follow the clubhead ! if the clubhead is out past your shoulders and you are still looking down at the ground - the ball is not going to be straight.

KEEP MOVING THROUGH THE BALL - KEEP RELEASING - KEEP TURNING.
DO NOT EVER STOP THE BODY, IT IS THE FULCRUM OF THE SWING.

If it stops you lose power - end of story. Especially those with wrinkles and/or breasts.

Enjoy

PeteyD
9th February 2009, 12:47 PM
Do man boobs count?

Toolish
9th February 2009, 12:55 PM
If it stops you lose power - end of story.

That could cause some pretty big debate if said in the right/wrong place!

virge666
9th February 2009, 03:20 PM
That could cause some pretty big debate if said in the right/wrong place!

Yeah - it could - but the logic is simple.

You can punch at a target or your can punch through a target, have a guess which one is more powerful.

3oneday
9th February 2009, 03:23 PM
Do man boobs count?well, they wouldn't stop, so you wouldn't lose power ;)

Toolish
9th February 2009, 04:09 PM
Yeah - it could - but the logic is simple.

You can punch at a target or your can punch through a target, have a guess which one is more powerful.

I can see that argument and don't disagree. But you crack a whip by stopping the handle.

Not really sure which side of the fence I sit on.

virge666
9th February 2009, 04:30 PM
But you crack a whip by stopping the handle.

Stupid analogy - that would make sense only if the the golf shaft was made of leather.

The mechanics are different, the power delivery is not compatable, in fact, make no sense at all.

Come up with something better. :)

Webster
9th February 2009, 04:36 PM
keep that left arm straight too!

PeteyD
9th February 2009, 08:08 PM
I like eggs.

razaar
9th February 2009, 09:38 PM
The law of physics are at play here. Centntrifugal force (force that tends to make something fly off at a tangent) is developed by the clubhead on the downswing, which has the effect of slowing the arms as the clubhead catches up with the hands through the ball position. Compare a skater doing pirouettes, if the arms are outstretched the body spins slow, if the arms are folded the spin is fast. Same principle applies in the golf swing. It's not how fast one moves his arms through the hitting area but how far the clubhead travels from behind the hands just before impact (late hit).

virge666
9th February 2009, 10:26 PM
The law of physics are at play here. Centntrifugal force (force that tends to make something fly off at a tangent) is developed by the clubhead on the downswing.

A likely story and one that has been around the traps for years, but unfortunatley not exactly true. Some of the old school of instruction still use this explaination - but if you ask anyone in the modern industry, they will have a different view.

In point form.

1. There is no such thing as Centrifugal force - it is an inertial force. Think Newtons first law. Even if you counted it as a "real force", Centrifugal force is more at play in something like "Hammer Throw" at the olympics.

2. Centripetal force is the main force at play in a golf swing. You apply force through the grip.

3. The arms slow down due to the release of the hands, or unloading of the levers.

4. Arm speed can be stupidly important, but it depends on your swing pattern.

5. You are correct about the distance the clubhead travels, but that is again back to levers and not centrifugal force.

We could get in a huge arguement over rotating frames of reference but we won't.

Flowergirl
10th February 2009, 08:06 AM
And all of this is so easy to understand for Snuffy. Don't get too complicated guys.

Maybe the chain hooked from your nostrils to your sweetbreads is the easiest solution afterall.:mrgreen:

virge666
10th February 2009, 09:31 AM
And all of this is so easy to understand for Snuffy. Don't get too complicated guys.

Your right.

OK - lets make it very simple. The only force you can imply on the golf club is through the grip and the shaft. This is centripedal.

The more force you apply here - the further the ball goes.

razaar
10th February 2009, 10:26 AM
Your right.

OK - lets make it very simple. The only force you can imply on the golf club is through the grip and the shaft. This is centripedal.

The more force you apply here - the further the ball goes.
Not necessarily so, centre of gravity contact is a crucial factor in distance and spin control. This is reliant on plane and lifting one's head prematurely can alter plane resulting in bad ball contact.

virge666
10th February 2009, 11:59 AM
Not necessarily so, centre of gravity contact is a crucial factor in distance and spin control. This is reliant on plane and lifting one's head prematurely can alter plane resulting in bad ball contact.

Absolutley !

Miss the center of the clubface by 1/2" results in about a 10% distance loss.

chappy1970
11th February 2009, 09:56 AM
I'm not smart enough to go into length detail about force (whatever type it is) or anything like that.

A good technique that I have used in the past (for a right handed golfer) is at impact and after it, use the right shoulder as the guide for lifting the head up. That is, take your normal swing and do not lift your head until your right shoulder hits your chin. I'm sure others may not agree, but works for me when I feel I might be lifting the head a little early.

just my 2c worth.

PeteyD
11th February 2009, 10:13 AM
Get comfy and smack the little bugga ;)

Dotty
11th February 2009, 10:26 AM
Pretend there is a nipple under the ball.

Nothing like the prospect of a glimpse of nipple to draw your focus. :lol: