PDA

View Full Version : Digital SLR's, anyone experienced???

goughy
9th December 2004, 11:57 PM
We may be looking at a digital slr camera in the coming months. Would be between the canon 300d and the nikon d70. I'm pro nikon because of its better frame rates, better exposure compensation and truer representation of the image. But it's missing an iso 100 setting.

Robyn's pro the canon, firstly because she loves canon (as do I). She prefers the slightly more contrasty images of the 300d (but she should be able to fix this in photoshop??). It dosen't have as many options, flash sinc is slower, and can only shoot a burst of 4 pics before needing a break.

Does anyone have any experience with digital slr's or have any preferrences.

A bit of background - Robyn has been a hobbiest photographer mostly using a canon A1. We have a mini darkroom set up where she has a colour head enlarger etc. She has had pics selected for diplay at the Macgregor Photographic Awards, one of Australia's most distinguished photographic comps (embarrasing because it was a pic of me). We've considered for many years purchasing a new higher level slr (about canon eos 5 level) but with kids and other stuff just never got around to it. She'd like to be able to get some high quality pics of our impending birth. The last ones were great but were taken on a film camera.

This is a serious question. We're really tossed up on what to look for. I've had a good read through dpreview's site and the nikon seems the better camera, but we have no experience with digital slr's.

terryand
10th December 2004, 07:18 AM
Goughy, I was after the 300 myself, but I have decided to wait a bit longer and get the 20D later next year.

Kicks both the 300 and D70.

%fps up to 23 frames in a row.

WOW.

Well worth the extra money and wait in my opinion.

Terry.

goughy
10th December 2004, 07:25 AM
I know what you mean terry. But the 20d is just a bit out of our price range. Photocontinental is doing a special on the d70, down to $2100 and it's got a $200 cash back deal from nikon.

They want $2300 for them in toowoomba.

goughy
10th December 2004, 05:49 PM
Looks like robyn's won (like it was ever in doubt) and it'll probably be the 300d. The camera, an 18-55, 55-200USM (equavalent to about a 28-90 and 90 to 300), 256mb cf card and by redemption a camera bag and another 256mb card. It's about $1898 at photo continental, which is about $300 cheaper than they will do in toowoomba.

When I tried to bargain one guy up here and told him the price I'd been given, he just said 'well they don't put much markup do they. I don't believe they can do that price' and then walked away.

Now our only prob is I want the black body and robyn wants the silver body. Wonder who will win this one.....

jaster
10th December 2004, 08:13 PM
Buy the Canon, they are great!!! I see prices are coming down heaps though...maybe hold out for another few months? :lol:

Jarro
10th December 2004, 08:23 PM
Now our only prob is I want the black body and robyn wants the silver body. Wonder who will win this one.....

.. i can only begin to imagine the "barneys" you guys will be having when your reno's get underway :roll: :lol:

goughy
11th December 2004, 05:14 AM
Mate, they are already on..........

And when it comes to the reno's they can be long and furious :twisted: I'm surprised you don't hear them from your place :shock:

clikchic
12th December 2004, 01:30 PM
Mate, they are already on..........

And when it comes to the reno's they can be long and furious :twisted: I'm surprised you don't hear them from your place :shock:

Goughy you are such a drama queen! :lol: :twisted: