PDA

View Full Version : GPS plotted courses

BrisVegas
4th February 2009, 10:52 AM
For those with GPS devices, I was thinking it might be nice to list what courses you've downloaded or plotted that you are prepared to share with other ozgolfers.

List what device your files are for, eg. iGolf, Sureshot etc etc

BrisVegas
4th February 2009, 10:53 AM
I'll update this list as I add more courses. PM me if you're heading to any of these and I'll share them with you.

iGolf
Brookwater
Barnbougle Dunes
Carbrook
Coolangatta-Tweed River
Coolangatta-Tweed West
Emerald Lakes
Federal
Gailes
Gold Coast Country Club
Glades
Helensvale
Kingston Heath
Kooindah Waters
Kooyonga
Laguna Turtle Point
Lake Karrinyup
MacLeod
New South Wales
Nudgee South?
Oxley
Pacific
Pacific Dunes
Palm Meadows
RedlandBay
Royal Adelaide
Royal Melbourne East
The Australian
Windaroo
Wynnum

kev
4th February 2009, 11:20 AM
I don't think you can share courses with the Sureshot. It has a web interface to Sureshots database of courses, and you transfer courses to/from your device. I haven't heard of any way to extract the courses from the device.

BrisVegas
4th February 2009, 11:39 AM
really? that sucks. Potential GPS buyers take note!

The Wet Coaster
4th February 2009, 12:11 PM
don't think you can with SkyCaddie either. that would really hurt their business i presume.

peter_rs
4th February 2009, 12:26 PM
What format are your files?

BrisVegas
4th February 2009, 01:01 PM
*.glf

The Wet Coaster
4th February 2009, 01:54 PM
but you can't access the device. it doesn't show up in "My Computer" as a drive so you can not browse the GPS.

Rusty
6th February 2009, 11:56 AM
yeah, the way the Sureshot works is that you alter or map a course, then upload it to the web interface. then everyone gets to download the latest course. easy.

Hux
7th February 2009, 05:51 PM
What device are you using iGolf on Vegas?

zigwah
7th February 2009, 05:54 PM
surely you could change the file types to suit?

senecio
8th February 2009, 08:33 AM
Happy brithday to me. I've just bought an Igolf Neo too. By the looks of his feedback Dion, I think I got it from the same guy as you did. More than happy to share my courses once I get my hands on it.

BrisVegas
8th February 2009, 05:09 PM
What device are you using iGolf on Vegas?

iGolf Neo.

Eag's
8th February 2009, 08:11 PM
Hmmm :-k like the looks of this GPS 8-)

BrisVegas
9th February 2009, 10:54 AM
More than happy to share my courses once I get my hands on it.

cool. they're small files, so am happy to send you the ones i got when you're ready. I'm yet to play a round with mine, but i now know that it's 203m from my couch to the 18th green! Simple to use and was a breeze to setup.

Jarro
9th February 2009, 11:02 AM
yeah, the way the Sureshot works is that you alter or map a course, then upload it to the web interface. then everyone gets to download the latest course. easy.

Rusty, how are you liking the Sureshot ?

senecio
9th February 2009, 11:40 AM

Jarro,

I was convinced to get one after playing with a mate who had a sureshot 8800 a couple of weeks ago. We were playing an ambrose so we were able to share advice.

There must have been 3-4 times that I pulled the wrong club before looking at his GPS unit. I was shocked that my estimates were so far out on some holes. Some times under, some times over.

Sydney Hacker
9th February 2009, 11:48 AM
The Sureshot's are fantastic when you have missed your fairway. It really opened my eyes how often I was going with the wrong club.

Jarro
9th February 2009, 11:54 AM
Jarro,

I was convinced to get one after playing with a mate who had a sureshot 8800 a couple of weeks ago. We were playing an ambrose so we were able to share advice.

There must have been 3-4 times that I pulled the wrong club before looking at his GPS unit. I was shocked that my estimates were so far out on some holes. Some times under, some times over.

The Sureshot's are fantastic when you have missed your fairway. It really opened my eyes how often I was going with the wrong club.

Thanks guys 8-)

Looks like i might have to spend some of KRuds money on one of these then ;)

peter_rs
9th February 2009, 12:30 PM
how long is the battery lasting on the iGolf Neo? car you get 2 or 3 rounds without a charge?

senecio
9th February 2009, 01:14 PM
Pete,

I'll let you know once I start to use it. Web site states 16 hours battery life.

Hux
9th February 2009, 09:51 PM
iGolf Neo.

So where do we get a iGolf from?

Been thinking about a GPS unit...though about picking up a PDA and adding software but in the end a dedicated unit is probably easier.

Cheers

Craig

PS Your PM Folder is full

BrisVegas
9th February 2009, 09:59 PM
So where do we get a iGolf from?

Been thinking about a GPS unit...though about picking up a PDA and adding software but in the end a dedicated unit is probably easier.

Cheers

Craig

PS Your PM Folder is full
pm's cleared out now!

I got mine on ebay from http://stores.ebay.com.au/MonsterPutt-Golf-Accessories which i think is where senecio got his too.

The Neo's are about the cheapest dedicated unit (under $300). The Sureshot is around $400 and is a bit snazzier. They both do the same thing in the end.

senecio
10th February 2009, 04:08 AM
Yep! that's where I got mine from too.

For me it came down to:

iGolf
Pros
- $280
- 16 hours battery life
- Keep your own personal courses for life
- Share your courses with others
Cons
- Not as pretty, mono screen
- Only 4 custom points per hole

SureShot
Pros
- Colour screen
- More custom points

Cons
- $400
- 4-6 hour battery life
- You can customise a course, then someone else can change it on you
- Must continue subscription or downloaded courses become disabled

With the iGolf, you can pay the subscription once and download all the courses you think you will ever need.

BrisVegas
10th February 2009, 08:22 AM
The thing with plotting custom waypoints on holes is that you have to remember where they all are. The Neo lets you add 4 extra points on a hole (plus the green front/middle/back) which is more than enough I'd say. Even on par 5's, that's enough for a couple of fairways bunkers, maybe a water hazard and a favourite layup spot. Any more than that and you'd need a hole layout diagram and a 10" screen to plot them em all I reckon.

Courty
12th February 2009, 08:08 PM
FYI, I got an email today saying that Bushnell has acquired iGolf. More details here (PDF) (http://igolf.com/igolfnewsfiles/51_Bushnell_Partnership___iGolf_FINAL_version.pdf) .

BrisVegas
13th February 2009, 08:31 AM
cool. Maybe the Bushnell rangefinder fanboys will cross over to the "powered by igolf" GPS side now!

Rusty
13th February 2009, 10:57 AM

yep still lovin' it. though am a little bit spoilt and sometimes curious to check so pull out bushnell every now and again as well :oops:

fyi, now that you've got one, feel free to share the distance with playing partners you like, as giving advice on distance alone doesn't break the advice rule (ruling 8-1/1).

SureShot
Cons
- $400
- 4-6 hour battery life
- You can customise a course, then someone else can change it on you
- Must continue subscription or downloaded courses become disabled

With the iGolf, you can pay the subscription once and download all the courses you think you will ever need.

fyi for others, (re Sureshot cons)
- battery life regularly has 62% battery life left after about 4.5hr rounds (ie. can play all day if necessary without charge)
- your customised course is not overridden. when uploaded by someone else is identified as a different course. your course is still there to be downloaded again if you choose.
- haven't read anywhere of downloaded courses becoming disabled after subscription expires. (+ price of sub is minimal v. cost of golf in general over a year)

the only con i can tell after using it
- trusting it! (that's when a rangefinder comes in handy to check the blighter)
- hazards/fairway waypoints are displayed in order entered, not order encountered. only a mild pain anyway really, and only happens if there's 3+ waypoints on a hole.

senecio
13th February 2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the clarification Rusty. I was just regurgitating what had been said elsewhere. There's nothing like first hand knowledge.

I'd like to be able to share my distances with playing partners this weekend, but it hasn't arrived yet. Vegas, how long did yours take to arrive from this guy?

BrisVegas
13th February 2009, 11:37 AM
I'd like to be able to share my distances with playing partners this weekend, but it hasn't arrived yet. Vegas, how long did yours take to arrive from this guy?

I paid via bank PayAnyone, which i think went through on the Tuesday night. It arrived in Friday's mail, so 2 business days from payment.

senecio
13th February 2009, 11:48 AM
Hopefully it will be waiting for me when I arrive home today. My payment would have gone through on Monday.

BrisVegas
13th February 2009, 11:49 AM
cool, hope so. tomorrow is my first game with it, so hopefully it's not too waterlogged!

just
13th February 2009, 09:39 PM
I'll update this list as I add more courses. PM me if you're heading to any of these and I'll share them with you.

iGolf
Brookwater
Barnbougle Dunes
Coolangatta-Tweed River
Coolangatta-Tweed West
Emerald Lakes
Federal
Gailes
Gold Coast Country Club
Glades
Kingston Heath
Kooindah Waters
Kooyonga
Laguna Turtle Point
Lake Karrinyup
New South Wales
Pacific Dunes
Palm Meadows
Royal Adelaide
Royal Melbourne East
The Australian

You can add:
Nudgee (Ithink its the South Course)
Mcleod
to the list.

markTHEblake
13th February 2009, 11:38 PM
How accurate are you finding them? there is a lot of speculation that GPS systems can be +/- 10m innacurate.

I remember one night a whole bunch of us went to out to set the pins for the next day, i recall pacing out about 10m to the hole location from front of green, and the guy with GPS measured the same and ended up with a figure that was way off, i think it was a length longer than the actual green

just
14th February 2009, 05:50 AM
Blakey
I haven't tested the unit yet, but this shouldn't be the case these days, unless the unit is not picking enough satellites or is getting signal interference. The randomised error that used to be in the system (called selective availability) was turned off years ago.

BrisVegas
14th February 2009, 02:13 PM
How accurate are you finding them? there is a lot of speculation that GPS systems can be +/- 10m innacurate.

first hit with mine today and it matched up to the sprinkler heads and 150m posts around the course very well. At most it was 2-3m out, but then who knows what someone calls the "centre" of the green. My little Neo GPS was showing the same yardages as the bigger setups in the carts, ie. front/middle/back edges. I added some custom points on most holes on my way round today. So simple to use. And it seems to be water proof too!

I'm loving it. It definitely speeds things up to be able to walk to your ball and know the exact number straight away, without pissing about looking for / pacing off from sprinklers etc.

Rusty
16th February 2009, 03:56 PM
How accurate are you finding them

agrees with rangefinder. eventhough, still sometimes hard to actually, really, truely, trust. but it's right.

Courty
17th February 2009, 03:51 PM
Golf-specific GPS review here (http://www.mygolfspy.com/golf-gps-reviews/).

I must admit, I've never heard of the winner. :neutral:

just
17th February 2009, 05:07 PM
The uPro is a owned by Callaway. Supposed to be very good but very expensive.

CobraSS
17th February 2009, 07:54 PM
can you map a course yourself with the upro gps?

just
17th February 2009, 08:14 PM
No. igolf and golf guru allow you to map your own courses.

Iain
17th February 2009, 08:22 PM
Garmin are coming out with a GPS shortly I believe. The Approach or something like that. But those iGolf Neo's look pretty good, just not sure I'm playing enough golf to be worth it atm....

idgolfguy
18th February 2009, 12:29 AM
Go to www.mscorecard.com (http://www.mscorecard.com)

Around US$20 for the software and you supply a compatible phone. You can search for the courses and add your own. Mark your own via Google or on location.

The use of the website is free.

BTW. I'm not affiliated with them in anyway.

senecio
19th February 2009, 07:22 PM
I just received my second email of courses from Mike at Monsterputt (ebay). On top of Vegas' courses below I have the following to share.

iGolf
Carbrook
Helensvale
Mcleod
Nudgee (North/South??, doesn't say)
Oxley
Pacific
Redland Bay
Windaroo
Wynnum

iGolf
Brookwater
Barnbougle Dunes
Coolangatta-Tweed River
Coolangatta-Tweed West
Emerald Lakes
Federal
Gailes
Gold Coast Country Club
Glades
Kingston Heath
Kooindah Waters
Kooyonga
Laguna Turtle Point
Lake Karrinyup
New South Wales
Pacific Dunes
Palm Meadows
Royal Adelaide
Royal Melbourne East
The Australian

BrisVegas
16th June 2009, 11:08 AM
my list updated. anyone got Nudgee North and/or Pelican Waters they wanna share ?

goonie
28th June 2009, 09:36 PM
We will need Pelican Waters for the Champs :-)

Pac Harbour would be nice too.

CobraSS
30th June 2009, 03:27 PM
my list updated. anyone got Nudgee North and/or Pelican Waters they wanna share ?

Have both but sonocaddie versions only.:mrgreen:

Courty
6th July 2009, 08:22 PM
Dion,

I'm happy to upload the course files to my web site and provide the link in this thread if you are willing to email them all to me.

BrisVegas
7th July 2009, 06:55 AM
sent.

BrisVegas
10th August 2009, 07:32 AM
Dion,

I'm happy to upload the course files to my web site and provide the link in this thread if you are willing to email them all to me.

did you do this courty?

Coffs_Hacker
10th August 2009, 07:53 AM
Go to www.mscorecard.com

Around US$20 for the software and you supply a compatible phone. You can search for the courses and add your own. Mark your own via Google or on location.

The use of the website is free.

BTW. I'm not affiliated with them in anyway.

the prob with phone gps apps is you have to pay to download it through your phone provider 4-5hrs of gps downloads could set u back a bit (unless there are plans that have free gps - not sure)

Daves
10th August 2009, 10:06 AM
the prob with phone gps apps is you have to pay to download it through your phone provider 4-5hrs of gps downloads could set u back a bit (unless there are plans that have free gps - not sure)

Not sure what you mean by 4/5 hours of downloads?? Does your phone provided GPS only via the network? I have mScorecard on a N95, it has its own GPS receiver. Only downloads/uploads are when I download courses off their server or upload scorecard/stats. Costs sfa.

Courty
10th August 2009, 04:13 PM
did you do this courty?

:oops:

Nah, I've got a site redesign waiting to happen, but unfortunately it's below a few other things on the list. I'm happy to email the files to anyone on request, but I will get the files up eventually.

henno
13th August 2009, 02:25 PM
Courty (or anyone), can you email me whatever you have?

I'm knocking something together very quickly.

http://imgur.com/nzw64.png

goonie
13th August 2009, 02:37 PM
I will send you what I have tonight if someone doesn't beat me to it, I have all of BV's maps.

goonie
13th August 2009, 02:39 PM
DOH just saw your email.

Courty
13th August 2009, 02:39 PM
Email sent. 8)

goonie
13th August 2009, 02:41 PM
Email sent. 8)

You got all of BV's maps?

Courty
13th August 2009, 02:46 PM
Yep.

BrisVegas
13th August 2009, 02:53 PM
did you get my map of tassie?

Courty
13th August 2009, 02:56 PM
ewwww.

goonie
13th August 2009, 02:58 PM
Have you got the Champs map?

Courty
13th August 2009, 03:01 PM
CHamps map? You mean Club Pelican? If so, that's a yes.

henno
13th August 2009, 05:31 PM
Righto. Knocked this baby up quickly and uploaded the files Courty supplied .

http://igolf.henno.org

PM me for login details.

Upload files that aren't already there, create directories if you see fit (although I would caution against mucking with them too much for the sake of usability).

Let me know if there are any crap files, superfluous files (there are two Cairns GC files and I can't test them yet, so someone let me know which is the keeper) or any bugs.

Only the admin (ie. me) can delete files at this stage, mainly to stop anyone deleting the lot, intentionally or otherwise.

Let's build this baby.

Courty
13th August 2009, 06:00 PM
I suspect the Cairns file with the underscores is the iGolf database version. If this is the case, I know it is inaccurate, and that the other version is the one that Mike plotted (which should be fine).

PS, login details please. 8)

henno
13th August 2009, 06:02 PM
I'll leave them both there for now. If one of you Cairns boys can let me know for sure which is the right one, I'll delete the other.

Jarro
13th August 2009, 06:04 PM
henno, you're spending way too much time on this.

You should be spending more time and effort on the good Mrs henno's needs instead :smt047

Courty
13th August 2009, 06:06 PM
I'll leave them both there for now. If one of you Cairns boys can let me know for sure which is the right one, I'll delete the other.

I'll confirm with Mike as to which one is his.

henno
13th August 2009, 06:06 PM
henno, you're spending way too much time on this.

You should be spending more time and effort on the good Mrs henno's needs instead :smt047

She's at the gym. Boring.

And it's not very difficult to knock together this sort of thing. You'd be lucky if I put more than a couple of hours into it.

Hux
13th August 2009, 06:56 PM
Soooo anyone got the Capricorn Resort (Yepoon) Course iGolf files...championship & resort please. Playing there next month for a week.

mike
13th August 2009, 09:59 PM
I suspect the Cairns file with the underscores is the iGolf database version. If this is the case, I know it is inaccurate, and that the other version is the one that Mike plotted (which should be fine).

I'll confirm with Mike as to which one is his.

Mine is this one ; Cairns_Golf_Club.glf

What's the other one look like?

henno
13th August 2009, 10:09 PM
Cairns_Golf_Club.glf
Cairns Golf Clu.glf

There is both of those.

mike
13th August 2009, 10:17 PM
No I definitely spelt 'club' with a 'b'. So the top one is mine.

henno
13th August 2009, 10:19 PM
And yours is the right one... right?

mike
13th August 2009, 10:20 PM
Hang on a minute. I just checked. I've got both. No idea which is the right one. I've got a feeling the 'Cairns Golf Clu' might be mine after all.

Embarrassing.

mike
13th August 2009, 10:24 PM
OK I just checked my igolf and it's 'Cairns Golf Clu'.

Henno, I've got nfi. Courty will have to try them both out. If he puts his second in the piss on #12 he's using the wrong one.

mike
13th August 2009, 10:33 PM
I've worked it out. 'Cairns Golf Clu' is the right one.

Definitely.

ffs

Ned
13th August 2009, 10:34 PM
Soooo anyone got the Capricorn Resort (Yepoon) Course iGolf files...championship & resort please. Playing there next month for a week.

:roll:

henno
13th August 2009, 10:37 PM
Definitely.

Definitely, definitely?

Righto. Deleted the other.

mike
13th August 2009, 10:41 PM
Double definitely.

senecio
6th September 2009, 07:01 PM
For those of us attending the champs with a Neo this year, I recommend that you visit Henno's site and download the Pelican Waters V2 file that I just uploaded.

The original file could only be described as grossly inaccurate, with most holes being between 40-60 metres out. You know that something is wrong when you are walking towards the first green and the GPS tells you that you are getting further away.

IanO
17th September 2009, 03:03 PM
You got money from KRudd? Then a SureShot is a great investment. I have had one for 12 months and love it. I find it is the most help when I am off the fairway (which seems to happen way too often)

jaybam
17th September 2009, 06:58 PM
Really enjoying the one we all got. Works great now i have mapped the course.

Hux
19th September 2009, 12:00 PM
Anyone got Pac Harbour and Keperra north ie 19-27 maps for iGolf?

MegaWatty
21st January 2010, 01:06 AM
Hey guys,

Henno's site is great for all the QLDers. Does anyone have any WA courses they can help with???

Ned
21st January 2010, 07:38 AM
Hey guys,

Henno's site is great for all the QLDers. Does anyone have any WA courses they can help with???

Move to Qld!:mrgreen:

MegaWatty
21st January 2010, 08:12 AM
Been there, done that. :)

MegaWatty
22nd January 2010, 10:35 AM
Neo arrived today. When you guys map your courses, do you just guess the centre of the green by pacing it out?

just
22nd January 2010, 11:27 AM
Yep, thats what I've done.

Daves
22nd January 2010, 03:29 PM
Neo arrived today. When you guys map your courses, do you just guess the centre of the green by pacing it out?

Alternatively plot the front and back first, and then split the difference.

oncewasagolfer
28th February 2010, 10:30 AM
getting an igolf gps and was wondering if anyone would be able to email me some courses mainly after victorian ones? thanks:)

maxmirni
16th July 2010, 10:42 PM
hi megawatty

did you find anywhere with WA courses ?

thANKS

MegaWatty
16th July 2010, 10:46 PM
hi megawatty

did you find anywhere with WA courses ?

thANKS

Henno has a few but not many.

Mike had a subscription but u think it's expired.

I've gone to a Sureshot which has professionally mapped courses.

Gman8
2nd January 2012, 07:06 PM
Hi all new to the site. Could someone please PM me the igolf repository link and Login and Password Details. I have plenty of files I can contribute in VIC.
Cheers
G.