PDA

View Full Version : Journey to 18 handicap

Kee
8th December 2004, 09:50 AM
As some of you will know, andylo and myself have a little running anti-ho bet at the moment.

The bet is "No more hoing golf equipment until we reach 18hcp".

The prize is, a box of premium balls of choice, and a bit of pride.

So I thought I'd start a thread to chart our journey on how achievable this is for 2 hackers like us.

amanda
8th December 2004, 09:57 AM
Hey Kee - I think it is a great thing you are doing!

What sort of things are you planning to get your handicaps down?

BrisVegas
8th December 2004, 09:59 AM
Good luck guys!

I reckon kicking the HO habit will be tougher than improving the golf games. Have you considered going on the methodone program? :wink:

Fishman Dan
8th December 2004, 10:07 AM
Kee / A-Ho,

I started out on 26, and it took me all but the final round of a 3-month temporary membership to play to it. I found it a huge difference from playing golf, to playing proper golf. In the final round of that temp membership i had 43 points, and was runner up to another C-Grade chopper, who had a hole in one on the day!

From there i dropped to 24, and played a local open comp and had 45 points, so all of a sudden i was down to 20.

Bascially be patient, your game will develop while you are still getting used to competition conditions. Once you find the groove, your handicaps will start to drop dramatically.

The fact the two of you are playing together often is a bonus too. 95% of my games are with complete strangers, so getting used to partners is another part of the game. Having a mate in your group helps you settle into your game quicker.

Good luck, and best of all don't take it too seriously!

Kee
8th December 2004, 10:09 AM
I decided last week that I would bite the bullet and "invest" in lessons. I have had group lessons before but not really had individual lessons consistently. In Feb this year, I signed up for the beginners class at Pacific, which I enjoyed and thought me some good things. Since then, I've had 1 shared lesson with andylo about 2 months ago.

So I've decided to go with Bryce at Mr Tees in Capalaba. Last night was just a assessment of my swing and what I want to achieve in golf. At the moment I'm giving myself 12 months to get from 25hcp to 18hcp. Bryce seemed to think I can acheive that much quicker, but I'm not as confident. For budget reasons, I was going to have 1 lesson every month. But Bryce is pretty good and mapped out 5 lessons every 3 weeks, and then lessons every 6-8 weeks depending on what I want to achieve.

At the moment, my main problems are setup (ball too center of my stance), stance (not wide enough and too much on my heel), and a bad case of reverse pivot.

So I've booked in for my first lesson in a weeks time. Looking forward to it. Should be fun.

My main aim for golf at the moment is just to start hitting the ball consistently. For the moment, if I can get to a level where I can bogey just about every hole, then, I'd be a pretty happy golfer.

andylo
8th December 2004, 10:28 AM
To add a bit of stir that we are using coach who are under the same franchise (Fairway)

Our couches know each other and I think a little coaching war will begin :p

Fishman Dan
8th December 2004, 11:06 AM
To add a bit of stir that we are using coach who are under the same franchise (Fairway)

Our couches know each other and I think a little coaching war will begin :p

As long as you are paying your bills, i don't think they really care ;) :lol:

Trung
8th December 2004, 11:07 AM
Good luck boys =D>

Best Wishes :D

AndyP
8th December 2004, 11:34 AM
You may be surprised at how quickly you might get to 18, but we'll see.

Playing with golfers better than yourself might help your play. I find that I improved when playing with better golfers than myself, and sometimes struggled playing with worse golfers.

Another tip I might pass on is that, you have handicaps for a reason, so don't try and play shots that are suited to better golfers. For example, centre of the green is fine, no need to go for tight pins.

Good luck, gents.

amanda
8th December 2004, 11:39 AM
Kee - that sounds like an excellent plan - good to read that your coach asked about your golfing goals.

Remember the 3 main points about setting a goal:
1. It must be a clear goal (check!)
2. It must challenge you (check!)
3. It must be achievable (your coach thinks so - I think so - check!)

It took me 2 years to get from handicap of 45 down to 21 - so 25 to 18 in the next 12 months definitely sounds like an excellent goal. :D

My best tip - 2-5 minutes practice of a drill every day is better than 1x35 min practice per week.

markTHEblake
8th December 2004, 11:44 AM
Kee, you have got a much better swing than what your scores suggest. There is some pretty good fundamentals there.

Shouldnt take you long to get to 18 at all. IMHO you should be almost there already, maybe its your knee, or is it confidence?

Kee
8th December 2004, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the encouragement and tips everyone.

Mark, I think its a bit of both, the knee and the confidence. My coach did notice that I'm not transitioning my weight to my left leg fully on my follow through. But this gives me more incentive to just continue with streghtening the knee up. Its been 4 months since the op. So I'm just hoping it will get stronger and stronger as time goes by.

Confidence wise, once I see water or bunkers, my mind plays tricks on me :?

McMw
8th December 2004, 12:22 PM
short game practice...

afterall - if the goal is to get to an 18hcp...that's 18 bogeys in a round...

Par3s: 2on-2putt
Par4s: 3on-2putt
Par5s: 4on-2putt

burger
8th December 2004, 12:40 PM
Its been 4 months since the op. So I'm just hoping it will get stronger and stronger as time goes by.
Confidence wise, once I see water or bunkers, my mind plays tricks on me :?
Kee, after my knee ops I found that for about 6 months it was my subconscious that would not let me do things . . . I'd think "right I'll turn and chase that one" but nothing happened :shock:
Then one day it just started happening again, so bear with it and all will come good!

As for bunkers and water, don't see them . . just picture in your mind nice green grass!!!!!!!!!!

good luck to both of you!
stu

Golfgirl
8th December 2004, 01:44 PM
short game practice...

afterall - if the goal is to get to an 18hcp...that's 18 bogeys in a round...

Par3s: 2on-2putt
Par4s: 3on-2putt
Par5s: 4on-2putt

Precisely how I attempt to play golf Mau.... gotta keep those three-putts outta the game!

But also, Kee/Andy - good luck with the lessons, because you also have to be able to get to the green....

Will wait to see how the two of you go....

(my goal for next year is the same - 26 handicap to 18 handicap.... hopefully I will be playing some regular golf next year and things won't be so crazy.... )

Trung
8th December 2004, 03:50 PM
On the other hand, how many bad consecutive rounds would you need to reach 18..

For me would be around 80 rounds to reach 17.5 :shock:

Jarro
8th December 2004, 04:51 PM
i also have to support what Mau said earlier .. treat every hole as one more than the index dictates... don't put yourself under any more pressure than you have to :wink:

andylo
8th December 2004, 04:54 PM
2 putt everything.... sigh.... :roll:

According to FGI I have 2.35 putt per hole, or 42 putt avg per round....

All you guys can put $$ on Kee side :wink:

Onewood
8th December 2004, 08:09 PM
Good to see the challenge between you boys "BUT"

Andylo's, golflinks shows 1 game at Carnarvin 0 games on home course =;
Kee's Golflinks 0 games since getting handicap :cry:

To reduce your handicap guy's you need to play comp's :roll:

What happens when you shoot that 95 off the stick and say I wish we could have used that as a handicap game :roll:

"START PLAYING COMP GOLF" :D

BrisVegas
8th December 2004, 08:15 PM
On the other hand, how many bad consecutive rounds would you need to reach 18..

For me would be around 80 rounds to reach 17.5 :shock:

I'm getting there... I went 22 consecutive 0.1's back to get to 6.5. Minor hickup a few weeks back, but now am back on track!

Just 113 more bad rounds to go. :lol:

AndyP
8th December 2004, 08:50 PM
"START PLAYING COMP GOLF" :D
It's alright, Kev. I'm getting them out there this Friday. Unfortunately for them, it's a back marker event. But if they are good enough.....

McMw
8th December 2004, 10:34 PM

42 putt average??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

dude.....you're practicing the wrong part of your game!!!
putting practice is on of the fastest "exercise" you can do where the benefit is pretty much gonna come to you the fastest!!!

you can spend all that time and the money on the range to get a beautiful looking swing...means jack if you can't get the ball in the hole...

and.....putting practice can be FUN too....you and kee can set up match play type putting comps on the practice green....and believe me...you'll start shooting better scores!!!

Plus it's cheap!!! :lol:

andylo
8th December 2004, 10:45 PM
Mau, tell you what, I know putting currently is my BIGGEST problem and trust me I am really working on it everynite at home or in the range. I spend great deal of time nowadays just to do chip and putt, more on putt.

But my problem in golf in really comprehensive :p And I am a bloody greedy person and I want everything at once. (Thats why I almost sleep in range everynite)

I understand I am trying too much things in once... just let me be for a little while more ;)

42 putt average??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

dude.....you're practicing the wrong part of your game!!!
putting practice is on of the fastest "exercise" you can do where the benefit is pretty much gonna come to you the fastest!!!

you can spend all that time and the money on the range to get a beautiful looking swing...means jack if you can't get the ball in the hole...

and.....putting practice can be FUN too....you and kee can set up match play type putting comps on the practice green....and believe me...you'll start shooting better scores!!!

Plus it's cheap!!! :lol:

McMw
8th December 2004, 10:53 PM
well....as long as you know you're being greedyy..... :roll: :lol:

putting on those mats are okay...if you want a beautiful looking stroke... :wink:

my suggesting (if you want it)....just spend one week (however many times that is you go to practice)...purely on putting...no chipping/irons/drivers...just putting...

can't do your game any more harm than it is at the moment!!!

Choppa
8th December 2004, 10:56 PM
Man I wish I had your commitment to this game, A-Ho....or to anything come to think of it :)

Do you have time to fit anything else into your life :?

Eag's
8th December 2004, 11:02 PM
Well good luck fellas :smt023 keep us all up to date on how you are progressing. You both have enough talent to get down to 18 and a lot lower :wink:

Just keep working hard at it.

andylo
8th December 2004, 11:22 PM
I ditched tennis, badminton, table tennis and a few other hobbies for golf...

But I always find time for my girl as well as work.

Damn... didn't ring my parents in HK for long long time... time to do it :p

Man I wish I had your commitment to this game, A-Ho....or to anything come to think of it :)

Do you have time to fit anything else into your life :?

Kee
9th December 2004, 08:42 AM
Yep, this Friday, if its not a wash out will be my first comp. But we will start playing comps in Logan City from hopefully this week forward.

My putting is only really average as well. At the moment I'm going for about 34-36 putts per round. Funny thing is I hardly ever practice putting, it must have come from my high school/uni days when my friend and I would take his dad's putter and had putting comps along the carpet when we were bored.

Flowergirl
9th December 2004, 09:16 AM
Well Andylo & Kee....along with Amanda & Golfgirl - my handicap goal is 18. I've been a bit unlucky the last month or so with high CCR's - otherwise I would have been there already.
Mau's advise is by far the best - treat each hole as a bogey hole and play a percentage game. And practise that short game. The number of guys that I play with that can hit the ball a bloody mile but can't get it on the green and into the little hole.
Good luck to us all. I don't think I'll get there first. We have no more comps until Feb and I've just found out the girl that works for me on Comp day can't work on that day until the end of March. Looks like I'll have to find some alternative comps somehow.

AndyP
9th December 2004, 09:29 AM
And we better not see anymore 5-putts in your FGI records, A-Lo. [-X

andylo
9th December 2004, 04:29 PM
Although the day in Lakelands is not a comp day but I still putt like shiiit. :p

But the green is a little unpredictable so just bare with me for this one.

Pitching it close from wet fairway is so hard.... I always short of green :(

markTHEblake
10th December 2004, 12:13 AM
Andy and Kee. whilst putting is important part of the game, so is chipping , bunkers, irons, woods and driving.

I have played with both of you and putting is the least thing you two should be worried about. 42 putts is not 'bad' for the scores you shoot.
In comparison a 20 handicap is not going to average better 36 putts a around, so if you were to improve your putting by that much, take 6 strokes off the last score you had. How much different does that make?
bloody nuthin!

Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with practicing your putting, but your focus at this time needs to be elsewhere.

The most important thing for Both of you is to get your swing fundamentals on track. Golfers at your level improve only becuase they get their basic ball striking skills up to a level where they can reach average par 4's consistently in 3-4 strokes.

secondary to that, your short game - seriously, when i played with you two i thought i was at wimbledon. Seemed that everytime you got within 20 metres of the green you took 3 or more strokes to get on.

improve these two areas and your saving 30 strokes a round, instead of a lousy 6.

only Start worrying about your putting (above everything else) once you are consistently breaking 90.

andylo
10th December 2004, 12:30 AM
You got a point Blakey :)

Righto, I will have my basic ball striking skill settle frist then the short game within 50 meters sort out, before I will figure other little things later :D

Thanks Blakey :D

Fishman Dan
10th December 2004, 09:05 AM
You got a point Blakey :)

Righto, I will have my basic ball striking skill settle frist then the short game within 50 meters sort out, before I will figure other little things later :D

Thanks Blakey :D

Andy,

Just play golf!!!

Let's agree on one thing - every part of your game (my game, everyones game) needs work. There more you play, the more you improve. Don't worry yourself about focusing on any 1 part of the game, just go out and enjoy yourself!! :roll:

McMw
17th December 2004, 12:28 AM
As some of you will know, andylo and myself have a little running anti-ho bet at the moment.

The bet is "No more hoing golf equipment until we reach 18hcp".

The prize is, a box of premium balls of choice, and a bit of pride.

Kee...I think you just won this BET!!!
A-HO, Can't believe you ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jarro
17th December 2004, 07:03 AM
nice win Kee :lol:

what was it you won again :?: :?: oh yeah, a box of premium golf balls 8)

AndyP
17th December 2004, 09:12 AM
Bet still on.

The following was in the thread that A-Lo started for this bet:

After 2 putter purchasing we are undergoing.... (yes... last club this year ok!!) We will not buy any more club until our handicap reach 18.

Bought your putter yet, Kee. :roll:

Kee
17th December 2004, 09:32 AM
Yep, I've just bought a new putter 8-[ . Finally got the Rossie I was eyeing for a long time. So the bets on for me now.

AndyP
17th December 2004, 09:35 AM
Yep, I've just bought a new putter 8-[ . Finally got the Rossie I was eyeing for a long time. So the bets on for me now.
I wouldn't be surprised if you guys kept coming to mutual agreements to buy more clubs before you get to 18. :smt011

Kee
19th December 2004, 10:22 AM
Had my first lesson with Bryce at Mr Tees yesterday afternoon. I think that made my swing go slightly worst with the changes at the moment. But I think a bit of practice should sort it out.

The main things taught during the lesson:

1) Corrected my grip slightly. Showed me how to setup my left hand grip on the club and gave me a very weak right hand grip. Basically, my right hand was going too much under the grip, so he started me with a weak right hand grip. I also grip to club way too tightly. Need to losen it big time.

2) Spent the majority of the time trying to teach me the impact position and the feeling of transferring my weight forward during impact and subquently the follow through. Drill he gave was to use a wedge, address the ball, then get into impact position then swing and hit the ball. This drill should hopefully stop all the thin/topped shots I hit.

3) Adjusted my address position a little. Pushed me hands down a little so its closer to my body, and moved my head so I'm not directly over the ball but behind the ball a little looking at the back of it. Also, got me to relax during address, I was way too stiff and tense at address, thus too tense over the swing.

Lets see how the practice and playing will go for the next few weeks with these taughts.

Onewood
19th December 2004, 12:14 PM
It will feel strange at the start Kee, but if you keep at it you will get there. I like the tip of keeping your head at the back of the ball 8) be carefull not to sway your head back though :wink:

AndyP
19th December 2004, 02:39 PM
That's great, Kee. The idea of getting coaching for myself crossed my mind briefly while reading your post. ;)

Keep the updates coming please. 8)

andylo
20th December 2004, 02:09 AM
Had my playing lesson this morning. (played 9 hole)

My coach addressed the following 4 problems I am having.

A: Which is the biggest currently... I am not hitting down to the ball and my swing look like is trying to scope the ball up. Also instead of having a straight back and chest facing to front I have arc my back and chest facing upward. Which lead to very inconsistent impact, those thin and shanks.

B: Time to time the weight transfer is poor.... upper body moving too fast, especailly when I try to hit it harder.... should allow the weight transfer to complete with a smooth swing.

C: This is what my coach: "Your putting is SHOCKING" :cry:

D: Chipping. I tend to leaning my club too much forward which open my shoulder big time and de-loft the club. Need to bring the club more upright.

My coach told me that I really need to work on the problem A. Gave me a drill: put a tee on the target line about 3 inches front of the ball, try to hit the ball as well as the tee. Also try to hitting the ball on a downhill lie. Both allows me not to leaning too much on my right hand side body and let me hit down the ball.

This is the hardest drill I have so far, wish me luck :p

Eag's
20th December 2004, 09:01 AM
Good to hear you guys are getting some lessons :smt023
Just don't over analyse your swing to much, just go out relax and hit the ball :wink:

Jarro
20th December 2004, 06:14 PM
glad to hear you are both now in the hands of professionals :roll:

good luck guys .... and keep us informed of your progress 8)

Onewood
20th December 2004, 06:35 PM
Kee, Andy-lo, did your respective coaches ask you how many comp games you've had :?: coz even with the lessons you still need that competitive game :D

Kee
21st December 2004, 09:11 AM
Onewood, I rang Logan City to put us down on the comp this Saturday, but comps only resume on New Year's day. So we might put ourselves down for that one or the week after for our first comp at Logan City.

AndyP
21st December 2004, 09:57 AM
Onewood, I rang Logan City to put us down on the comp this Saturday, but comps only resume on New Year's day. So we might put ourselves down for that one or the week after for our first comp at Logan City.
Kee, what are you doing ringing about playing on Xmas Day? :shock: Courses don't even open then.

Kee
21st December 2004, 10:16 AM
Kee, what are you doing ringing about playing on Xmas Day? :shock: Courses don't even open then.

AndyP, had a brain fart. Realised it when I called them, but continued to ask when the comps start again anyway.

Golfgirl
21st December 2004, 05:16 PM
Kee, what are you doing ringing about playing on Xmas Day? Courses don't even open then.

They do at Eastlake..... :shock: , luckily, Xmas day falls on Matt's day off, but he'll be one busy boy come Boxing Day and the public holidays on Mon and Tue....

andylo
22nd December 2004, 11:15 PM
had another lesson this late arvo... a bit intensive isn't it :lol: especially after shaft snap....

Anyway the key of this lesson to day is my short game. Mainly chipping around the green, and putt.

After assessed my chip and putt... with a little bit of alteration... my coach seems don't reckon my skill is the main problem. And it's all about mental.

He realised that I have always lost interest/concertration on chip/putt thing. So he given me some drill to fix my mental part. Basically he will NOT allow me to touch range ball before I do the following:

Go the the practise green, get a dozen balls and drop around the green. Try the chip it as close as possible to the hole. Then putt them into the hole.

7 of them has to be made in 1 putt only. The rest 2 putted the most.

If I can't do that, I will not allow to hit range ball and he will be watching me :lol:

The lesson supposed to be 40 mins but he spend more than an hour with me. He's a good coach ;)

Onewood
22nd December 2004, 11:36 PM
where are you getting coached at Andy :?: Logan or outside help...

McMw
23rd December 2004, 12:10 AM
short game practice...isn't that what I've been saying??? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jarro
23rd December 2004, 06:24 AM
short game practice...isn't that what I've been saying??? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

yeah yeah :roll: :lol:

Good luck A-Lo. keep doing what your coach (and mau) tells you, it'll pay off bigtime in the long run 8)

don't forget to practice putting as well :wink:

AndyP
23rd December 2004, 08:47 AM
my coach seems don't reckon my skill is the main problem. And it's all about mental.
He hem....Dr Bob Rotella. :wink:

andylo
23rd December 2004, 09:10 AM
Exact quote from Dr. Bob:

"Golf is a game of confidence and competence. I am not about to tell anyone that a player who lacks physical skills can transform overnight into a winner by changing his thinking. If you trust a bad swing, it's still going to produce bad shots. (Though it will produce fewer of them than if you don't trust it.) You have to attain a level of physical competence to play well."

Onewood, my coach is the new coach in LGC. Which I have been using him already b4 he came to LGC.

Mau and AndyP... I had few faults on my chipping and putting swing/stroke... as well as my mental side is all wrong. My coach alter. my stroke/posture a little (i.e. I used to have the butt of the club leaning too much toward the target... and open my should big time) then give me a drill I need to do to fix my mental part. I think he's doing very well ;)

my coach seems don't reckon my skill is the main problem. And it's all about mental.
He hem....Dr Bob Rotella. :wink:

Fishman Dan
23rd December 2004, 09:15 AM
......then give me a drill I need to do to fix my mental part.

Sounds like Dr Nick Riviera? :P

AndyP
23rd December 2004, 09:32 AM
I can play the quoting game too. :P

"Find a teacher who believes in you, who encourages and supports you, who makes certain you leave the lesson tee feeling better about your game than you did when you arrived." - Dr. Bob

Sounds like you have found the right coach for you, A-Lo. 8)

Ducky
23rd December 2004, 10:40 AM
It's the golfing version of Dr. Phil!

"I want you to start living as a gay woman."

Kee
31st January 2005, 12:01 PM
I went for my secound lesson last Friday, so time for an update. Apologies in advance for the long post.

Firstly, I haven't been playing well. Well, actually, I've been playing to my normal bad standards. However, I feel like I can hit the odd good shot every now and then.

At the lesson, after watching me hit a few irons, Bryce reckons he is not going to work on my swing technique as much anymore :? . "Why not?" I ask. "Your swing is good enough for a 15 capper", Bryce says :shock: :shock: :shock:. "What the..." I remarked :? :shock: .

After much denying that the way I hit those irons he saw is not the norm and that I normally hit them much worst, he decided I needed work on the following, which is what we did on Friday:

1. Worked on my setup again, namely ball position in my stance. Got me to start my stance with both feet together and then stepping out accordingly depending on the club used.
2. Worked on my aiming. Bryce got me to alwasy aim my feet left of the target.
3. Worked on chipping. Again ball postion at the back of my stance and stop using too much of the wrist. Got me to use the shoulders on my chipping swing back and through and with soft, relax grip.
4. Worked on my driver. Bryce encouraged me to use the driver to build confidence. Worked on my driver swing to be more upright and not move my body angle down during the back swing.
5. Grip. Again try to promote me to use a weak grip with my right hand.

Bryce also recorded my swing and compared my current swing to the swing he recorded when I had my first lesson. There is a pretty big difference, which is good. He also says I've eliminated the reverse pivot.

Overall, a very enjoyable lesson that went for 1.5 hours.

Played comp at Logan City on Saturday (much to onewood's surprise :D ), and got 30 points. Not great, but I was happy with that. Left lots of putts out there and lots of shots around the green. I have no confidence in my chipping.

So in summary, lots to work on :D .

Fishman Dan
31st January 2005, 12:15 PM
Good stuff Kee. Confidence with chipping will come. You can't sink every chip, but as long as you get the ball into that 1-2 putt distance and most importantly rule out the duffs, you'll notice the difference.

AndyP
31st January 2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the report, Kee.

It's exciting to see some improvement. And it's great that the coaching is giving you some confidence.

amanda
31st January 2005, 12:38 PM
Great stuff Kee - for me chipping is something I need to keep practicing to stay decent at it - it will all come together soon and the scores will be great!

Kee
31st January 2005, 01:17 PM
Something else I forgot to mention. Bryce brought out the swing speed meter. My driver speed average was about 109mph, and the 6 iron was average about 94mph.

I need to slow that down to 95-100mph for driver and 85-90mph for irons for better tempo and more accuracy.

Anyone know how much those swing speed meters cost?

BrisVegas
31st January 2005, 01:23 PM
Something else I forgot to mention. Bryce brought out the swing speed meter. My driver speed average was about 109mph, and the 6 iron was average about 94mph.

I need to slow that down to 95-100mph for driver and 85-90mph for irons for better tempo and more accuracy.

Well, that makes sense! I don't feel so bad about you hitting it past me now.... 109mph is pretty serious clubhead speed. 8)

If I won lotto, I'd build an airconditioned practice facility in a shed with a launch monitor. How cool would it be to go out and belt a few whenever you felt like it. :D

Fishman Dan
31st January 2005, 01:38 PM

Kee - i had this problem a while ago too, and the result was frequent topping etc. I was playing in Lismore with a friend who said "Slow it all down, you don't need to belt the spots off the thing".

I made a conscious effort to slow my swing down, and absolutely smashed the next one down the 5th hole (par 5). I'll never forget that - it felt like i was swinging too slow, but the timing was perfect.

3oneday
31st January 2005, 02:00 PM

Anyone know how much those swing speed meters cost?Kee, aussoilungdrover bought one from the states for $100 USD. he reckons it is pretty accurate, within a mile or two, maybe drop him a PM. Personally, I reckon it is out by about 10 mph, either that or i'm losing 5mph every time I get on one of those things :roll: :lol: . I struggled to get over the ton :D :cry: :cry:

Pete

Trung
31st January 2005, 02:30 PM
hey Kee.. keep it up mate.

PS. once you find out.. its a piss easy game :wink:

Kee
31st January 2005, 03:16 PM
Brisvegas, an aircon practice shed would be great. Or just be like Greg Norman and have a couple of holes built in your backyard.

Fish, I do have a topping problem, mainly off the tee now. I just can't help wanting to bash the ball, espeacially with woods :roll: .

Trung, I think I have a better chance at finding what women really want, then finding a solution to playing good golf :P .

Pete US$100 is not cheap. Might see if I can just borrow Bryce's every now and then at the range.

Fishman Dan
31st January 2005, 03:23 PM
Fish, I do have a topping problem, mainly off the tee now. I just can't help wanting to bash the ball, espeacially with woods :roll: .

My tip is to exaggerate slowing down the swing and focus on rhythm. It will feel very strange for a while, but remember it's the timing, not brute force.

When you've got the timing right, then we can practice more brute force ;) :lol:

McMw
31st January 2005, 05:22 PM
Kee....

you can bash away as hard as you can with the woods.... :wink:

the tip is to do it, AND being able to hold/maintain a follow thru...

if you can do this, then that's the way....if you can't hold onto your follow thru (refer to BrizVegas Avatar), then you'll never do it right...

Jarro
31st January 2005, 05:35 PM

that's one thing i noticed about your swing the other day at Logan, you really do take a full-on rip at the ball Kee :shock:

maybe slowing it down a notch would help you a lot .... just give it a go, see what happens :wink:

AndyP
19th April 2005, 03:25 PM
Come on Kee, surely it is time for an update on how the lessons are going.

McMw
19th April 2005, 03:35 PM
kee....I had a quick look at ur latest score on GT (100 I think was the score)...

you prob need to find more fairway first...I think u only hit 2 that day...and had 38 putts, one of which was a 4 putt from a GIR on a par3...

generally if u hit the fairway, the ball will be longer than your best drive into the rough!!!

Kee
19th April 2005, 05:01 PM
Sorry, been a bit slack updating this post. I did go to my 3rd lesson about a 3 weeks ago. The problem with lessons is that I seem to hit the ball ok during the lesson at the range. I think I suffer from the "better at the range then the course" syndrome. What was taught during this lesson:

1) I complained that my short game was none existant. So we went to learn and practice some chipping. I tend to fat/blade a lot of chips. So what I was taught was to have a very narrow stance with the ball towards the right leg. Lean forward so that about 70% of my weight is on the left leg. On the take away for a chip, threat it like a putting stroke and keep the wrist still, no cocking of the wrist. With this motion, I can make much better contact witht the ball. Now my short game has gone from none existant to just rubbish :lol: .

2) Hit some balls with a 7 and 5 iron and again amazed the coach with how well I was hitting them for a 25 capper. Kept telling him its all bull crap cause I never hit it like that on the course. Anyway, he then proceeded to teach me to get a more inside-out swing and to "release" the club to promote a draw flight. Was mildly successful doing this. Again need more practice. But the feeling is great when I can pull it off occasionally.

3) Spent some time going through my stats on FGI and talked about course and shot management. I think its good to know and learn this, but, to me, my inability to play the right shots consistently is the problem.

Mau, yeah, I didn't play particularly well that day at McLeod. I But I did play well to my standards at Woodford, with 38 points. So I'm happy that my game is slowly improving.

AndyP
9th May 2005, 12:25 PM
So lads...just checked the Windaroo results...how the journey going ?
Would you 2 blokes like a link to my Lawn Bowls thread ?
Forget about the whole thing, 69, they couldn't stop their hoing.

Fishman Dan
9th May 2005, 12:27 PM
So lads...just checked the Windaroo results...how the journey going ?
Would you 2 blokes like a link to my Lawn Bowls thread ?
Forget about the whole thing, 69, they couldn't stop their hoing.

Forget about the challenge to not HO, or the fact that they are "en-route"? :roll:

Let's face it, not too many in-roads have been made. Sorry fellas, time to face facts.

Jarro
9th May 2005, 12:40 PM
how's your "Journey to 18" going by the way Fishy :P :wink:

leave the lads alone, they aren't hurting anyone.

Fishman Dan
9th May 2005, 12:44 PM
how's your "Journey to 18" going by the way Fishy  :P  :wink:

Jarro jarro jarro..... I got there yonks ago. In fact, I got to 16 mid-last year before i had to put the bag away for 2 months with an iffy back ;)

Now there's a line here about spending time at ranges, playing more than 2 comp rounds per month, and living under 100 km's from my home club, but this isn't my thread... ;) 8)

Jarro
9th May 2005, 12:47 PM
how's your "Journey to 18" going by the way Fishy  :P  :wink:

Jarro jarro jarro..... I got there yonks ago. In fact, I got to 16 mid-last year before i had to put the bag away for 2 months with an iffy back ;)

sorry mate, i must not have paid any attention to that post of yours.

i promise i'll pay more attention in the future :wink:

Kee
9th May 2005, 01:59 PM
Yes, not much inroads made for myself during comp rounds. However, on social rounds I think I'm starting to make a little bit of ground. The last 5 round scores, including the latest round at Windy is (these are in FGI):

Windy (comp)= 106
Logan City (social) = 91
McLeod (comp) = 107
McLeod (social) = 95
Woodford (comp) = 95

They aren't great scores, but until recently, I couldn't even break 100 on any round. My main aim in golf is to get some sort of consistency in the swing. I've never planned to be a single digit handicap player. My aim is obviously to enjoy the game, and if I can shoot between 95 and 85 on most rounds and not lose too many balls, I'd be happy.

Fishman Dan
9th May 2005, 02:04 PM
Nice stuff Kee - you're making inroads into the double-digit numbers! :smt023

AndyP
9th May 2005, 02:24 PM
Kee and A-Lo have both played under their respective handicaps once in comp. Unfortunately for them the CCR was under par, so neither had the handicap reduction.

If they played more stableford comps, they would give themselves more chance of reduction. Stableford should be their friend.

Fishman Dan
9th May 2005, 02:27 PM
Kee and A-Lo have both played under their respective handicaps once in comp.  Unfortunately for them the CCR was under par, so neither had the handicap reduction.

If they played more stableford comps, they would give themselves more chance of reduction.  Stableford should be their friend.

Andy - while i understand what you are saying, if they don't meet CCR, then they haven't really performed to handicap.

Put it this way - in these rounds, did they gain .1?

Eag's
9th May 2005, 02:34 PM
Kee just keep doing what you are doing mate, you are hitting the ball very well for someone off your handicapp :wink:

If you can get your course management sorted out, you will see that handicap drop quite quickly :smt045

AndyP
9th May 2005, 02:38 PM
Kee and A-Lo have both played under their respective handicaps once in comp.  Unfortunately for them the CCR was under par, so neither had the handicap reduction.

If they played more stableford comps, they would give themselves more chance of reduction.  Stableford should be their friend.

Andy - while i understand what you are saying, if they don't meet CCR, then they haven't really performed to handicap.

Put it this way - in these rounds, did they gain .1?
On both occasions they played to their handicap, not below it, relative to CCR.  So they were close, didn't go out 0.1, but no cigar.

Having a closer look at the lad's records convinces me that they should be playing less stroke comps.  I would also suggest keeping a stableford score during their social rounds.  It's the disaster holes that is probably killing their stroke scores.
Has to be better for confidence.

Kee
9th May 2005, 02:58 PM
Kee
Can you identify the differences in your game between the mid 90 scores and the mid 100 scores ?
Chipping, putting, fairways etc ?

So far, its the level of tenseness (if there is such a word). On the mid 90 scores, I was just relaxed, enjoying golf, having a few laughs and basically not caring about the end score.

In comps or when I play with people I don't know well, everything starts to matter, like wanting to hit a good shot, and making resonable scores.

This is something Eags was telling me at Windy to get rid off. However, its easier said then done for me at the moment.

Fishman Dan
9th May 2005, 03:03 PM
In comps or when I play with people I don't know well, everything starts to matter, like wanting to hit a good shot, and making resonable scores.

Something to be said for that. I play better in groups with people i know. Because i rarely play with the same people it does make a difference.

My recent handicap-breaking round in Casino was played with the photographer's at my wedding. Good round with great company. But on that note - get out there and meet more people Kee, because otherwise you will always be playing with strangers ;)

Kee
9th May 2005, 03:22 PM
I've played with a fair number of "strangers" and to be honest, have always had a great time. Everyone I've played golf with has been very friendly, which is a great thing about this game.

Its just that little pride that gets in the way. Makes me go for too much or just tense up wanting to make a good score. In short, trying too hard.

Fishman Dan
9th May 2005, 03:27 PM
I've played with a fair number of "strangers" and to be honest, have always had a great time. Everyone I've played golf with has been very friendly, which is a great thing about this game.

Its just that little pride that gets in the way. Makes me go for too much or just tense up wanting to make a good score. In short, trying too hard.

Ah, see you need to change that way of thinking. Instead of thinking;

"I'd love to see their face when they get out-driven by a 27 handicapper"

You should be thinking;

"Let's see their face when i tell them i got a 5/3 for the 4th time today"

:wink: :lol:

peter_rs
9th May 2005, 03:34 PM
Its just that little pride that gets in the way.

Are you playing with people of the same hcp or lower. I had a similiar problem with people on lower hcps. I was trying to match them shot for shot and forgeting the hcp difference. I'm getting over it by playing with lower hcp golfers more then people at my own hcp. If you ever get a chance you have to play in a Pro-Am. It is an eye opener to how bad you can play but still post a score.

Kee
9th May 2005, 04:07 PM
peter_rs_644, when I play with "strangers", all of their handicaps are nearly always better then mine. Can't go much lower then mine :lol: :oops: .

I'm more nervous playing with lower cappers, cause pride doesn't want to look stupid. I normally play better with people around my handicap.

McMw
9th May 2005, 05:18 PM

You should be thinking;
:wink: :lol:

well....it depends on what sets off your jollies I guess...

peter_rs
10th May 2005, 09:23 AM
I'm more nervous playing with lower cappers, cause pride doesn't want to look stupid. I normally play better with people around my handicap.

I know what you mean my hcp has been out as far as 25 (AGU)->38 in a social comp reg 110+ rounds(don't ask).

Forget PAR try this go out and aim for 5 on every hole. If you have a bad hole don't worry its only one hole. don't count your score until the end.

You may say its the same a 1 stroke on ever hole but aiming for 5 (at worst) on every hole take the presure of scoring well on par 3 & 4, most 5 in bris are easy reached in 3, so now there is only some presure on 4 holes (on avg) in around. Must people would hate themself if they walked of a par 3 with a 5 but with this plan its not a problem. If you shot all 5's you hit 90. make some pars on the 3 and you can be looking at sub 85.

Please try it for more then one round you could find it works.

The key is you have to remember pride wont make you look stupid-> playing another persons game will. You have to play with pride and believe in yourself and your game. People may say take a 3 wood of the tee but trust me if you love you driver and that is the one you feel comfortable with & not 3 wood use it. same as if you love long irons use them of the tee, even if you only hit it 180m down the centre you will still get to a 400m hole with 2 more avg shots. When I was on 30+ hcp I was using 3/5 wood and irons off the tee (as people had told me to do on such a high hcp)but then I invested in a driver that worked for me and I trusted it off the tee my scores drop straight away.

And on pride when playing with low hcp players- remember this the pay off for one good short shot if far greater then a long shot- so work on chipping and putting. Case in point a 360m easy par 4. a low hcp (say 9-does not get a shot) you get say 1 he hits a perfect drive 250m and then the green with at PW an is 10m from the hole they will 2 putt(well 7/10 times). You slice your drive way right and only 200m, hit a punch 5 from the trees to 80m and hit a PW to 3m you will 2 putt(7/10) if you sink the par putt you have beaten the low hcp on that hole.

HAVING SAID THAT YOU WILL PLAY YOUR BEST WHEN YOU PLAY THE COURSE AND NOT THE OTHER GOLFERS, IF YOU BEAT THE COURSE ON THE DAY YOU WOULD HAVE PLAYED BETTER THEN A LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE IN THE COMP. TRY THE 5'S

peter_rs
10th May 2005, 09:25 AM

You should be thinking;
:wink:  :lol:

well....it depends on what sets off your jollies I guess...

The 4 a 4 are the killers pick up 12 pts in 3 holes and they will hate you.

Sorry for the other long post.

andylo
10th May 2005, 12:16 PM
Me and Kee has a very different approach to lower our handicap.

Correct me if I am wrong Kee but I think Kee is trying to hit more fairway and green, by playing more conservatively on every shot so it will get closer to what he expected. He also work on chipping and putting to get the score.

To me, I don't care about if I am going to lower my handicap in short period of time or not but just very concertrate on my swing mechanisim. To me if I can swing 40 times the same in a round (which will hit the ball up to air and go fairly straight) then I believe it will lead to lowering my handicap. Pitch, chip and putt is just a mini version of full swing to me with weight distribution of my body is a little different (In general!)

peter_rs
10th May 2005, 12:39 PM
Thats all good and well.

But I believe the shots that make the difference between a high a lower hcp is the recovery shots and the ones from 120m and in.

playing conservativly is fine, only if it fits your nature.  In my case it doesn't I can hit the shot from the trees just as well as the fairway or the  I'm just as likely to hit the driver fine all day as a 3 iron of the tee.

All I'm saying is you have to commit and believe in every shot you play and don't swing if you cann't.

I could be the wrong- but golf is a game of results not pictures.  Puting the same swing on the ball everytime will improve your game no doubt.  But its when you can live with the swing faults and adjust for them when your not hitting well is when your hcp drops.  

I think Hogan said this "I only expect to hit on average 28 shots around with the same swing and they are all with the putter".

Kee
10th May 2005, 12:40 PM
Yes, Andylo and myself have different approach to golf. Andylo is concerned about the swing machanics. I don't think as much about swing machanics, but I want to feel that I'm gripping the club properly and swinging a nice easy swing.

peter_rs_644, I do play bogey golf at the moment. Each hole I give myself +1 shots. But sometimes I still care too much about the hole score then I should. And that is the part I need to get out of my thinking.

Fishman Dan
10th May 2005, 12:45 PM
That's strange, because for most of us it's about playing the game and attempting to get the lowest score.

Andy - have a look around next time you play. All sorts of schmucks play the game. Some (most?) have terrible techniques and habits (not to mention equipment? :roll:), but they get around. You are obssessed by something you cannot have - a pro's swing. We all scratch around the best we can, even if it's far from perfect. Take your mind off 'the perfect swing' and start thinking about enjoying the game some more.

McMw
10th May 2005, 12:51 PM
nice approach kee....I like the way you're approaching your golf game... :D

let's not forget...having a pretty swing doesn't necessarily mean you're a good golfer...

the number of range warriors I've seen with just abt perfect swings, but have no idea what to do when they're on the golf course is mind boggling...

but...keep it up u two...it's still race on!!! :D

andylo
10th May 2005, 01:28 PM
You are obssessed by something you cannot have - a pro's swing.

Why you are so sure I can't have a pro's swing? I believe I can, it just the matter of time. Going to driving range is not helping me to get a pro swing but develop a pro feel. Not all the tour pro has beautiful swing like Ernie Els but they all have very good touch/feel of the ball and I believe part of it is nature talent and the rest is hard work. I believe I am not a talented but I sure would put in the hard work.

let's not forget...having a pretty swing doesn't necessarily mean you're a good golfer...

Agree with you Mau. i.e. A poor course management can make someone swing like tiger shot 90s off the stick. But to me I need to sharpen my tools b4 I go ahead of other things.

peter_rs
10th May 2005, 02:03 PM
bogey golf at the moment.

Trust me there is a big difference mentally between 5's and bogey golf. Ok the big scores are the problem and thats what I working on too. Ok what is a big score for you a 2,3,4,5 over par? And once you have one do you follow it with another, or do you recover?

Good luck if you find a key that works for you.

Kee
10th May 2005, 02:20 PM
For me Par is great, Bogey is good, double bogey is ok, anything else, well, not so happy.

It doesn't take alot to make me happy on the course. If I can hit 2 solid shots in a row, I'm pretty chuffed. But if I continue to make silly errors, then, that frustrates me. Course management is also something I'm not good at, but I'm hoping to get better with experience.

Fishman Dan
10th May 2005, 02:28 PM
If I can hit 2 solid shots in a row, I'm pretty chuffed

Kee - you CAN hit 2 solid shots! You know you can, so let the club do all the work! Put the brain into park and let your instinct take over.

There, and i didn't have to read a single word of this Rotella character!

peter_rs
10th May 2005, 03:47 PM
but do you have blow out holes on a regular basis.

for example when I'm scoring ok (par/bog) every two rounds or so I slip a 9 in out of the blue. On a bad day it could be back to back 8's or my worst a day when I had 11,9,8,7 in a nine hole run. Do you have the same thing or do you have days when you just have 6 & 7's.

andylo
10th May 2005, 04:21 PM
but do you have blow out holes on a regular basis.

for example when I'm scoring ok (par/bog) every two rounds or so I slip a 9 in out of the blue.  On a bad day it could be back to back 8's or my worst a day when I had 11,9,8,7 in a nine hole run.  Do you have the same thing or do you have days when you just have 6 & 7's.

You asking Kee or me?

He don't usually have too many blow, 1 or 2... but he hardly got a par :p

Me is different, hell or heaven (par or blow) but hell is more :lol:

Bruce
10th May 2005, 04:47 PM
I'm on a similar road to the boys. The curse of inconsistency is mine to bear - I have 2 blowout holes in any given round right now. That sucked while I was getting my cards in - had to count them all instead of walking on to the next tee.

I have got my card now at Mirboo Nth and start at 26.3

I've had 2 lessons - feel like I'm making progress; especially inside 120m.

I'll race ya guys :D

Jarro
10th May 2005, 04:55 PM
try and spend as much time as you can practising your chipping and putting guys, that's where any real improvement will have the greatest impact on your game :wink:

Jono
13th May 2005, 06:51 PM
Alo & Kee,

Here's my 2 cents worth ....

Set a goal, make a plan to achieve that goal, and just do it ... :wink:

Alo, you say your goal is to get the swing mechanics right first. Good for you. Don't let anyone tell you that you are working on the wrong thing. Swing mechanics is very important especially when you are starting out. However, be prepared to have set backs and bad rounds. When you are working on mechanics, I wouldn't play too many comp rounds ... it can get you down. Practise your mechanics at the range deligently and with a plan. Either have a coach or use a video for feedback. What you FEEL is not necessarily what is happening.

I hardly played any golf for 2 years then I started playing regularly again at the start of 2004. I was playing like an 18 handicap and swinging like a shiela ... barely hitting the ball 220 meters. I could have accepted that and just worked on my short game, course management, etc, etc ... but I decided that I wanted my distance back and worked on it. I worked on the swing mechanics and also practised swinging faster using a training aid. I've gained about 10 mph in clubhead speed. For a while, I was spraying it all over the place, but now, I can afford to back off a bit and hit more fairways. I can get it out there 250 meters pretty comfortably. That means 3 to 4 less clubs into the greens. Now that my distance is back, I can start focussing on the short game and the mental game (etc, etc). I hope to get down to low single figure handicap, whereas if I accepted the 220 meter drives, I would have probably peaked around 9 - 10 handicap, no matter how much I worked on the short game.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you have a clear plan, stick to it.

Kee, I still remember your 3 wood tee shot off the first tee at the Ozgolf Champs last year. You put a better swing on that than most 10 handicappers. If you are having trouble finding consistency, it may be that you are TOO cautious. You start steering the ball when you get too defensive. Smooth is good, but you still want to SWING the club, not steer it. Be aggressive. From what you have said in this thread, it seems like you play better when you take the "I don't care" approach. Choose your target and swing freely. If you are off line and lose a ball ... who cares? (Just buy cheap balls for now ... :wink: ). IMO, the worst thing you can develop as a high handicapper is the steer. It's like you are afraid of playing golf ... :(

As to the HO'ing ... Stuff what the Anti-Ho's say ... This is for YOUR enjoyment. Sure, you can play great golf with ordinary sticks ... You can get from A to B in a 1980 Datsun bomb ... some choose to drive a SAAB convertable, not because they are better drivers or they get from A to B any faster. They find it more enjoyable and they can afford it.

End of sermon. Good luck guys ... :wink:

andylo
4th June 2005, 09:04 PM
This time should get my handicap decrease a bit.

Net 70 in LGC in a comp.

AndyP
4th June 2005, 09:18 PM
This time should get my handicap decrease a bit.

Net 70 in LGC in a comp.
CCR 71.

Well done, A-Lo. New exact handicap 27.0 from 27.4.

AndyP
14th June 2005, 09:35 AM
Congratulations, Kee, on your first handicap reduction on Saturday.

Hot on the tail of A-Lo's recent drop, you have really put the pressure on him now with a 2 shot lead. ;)

peter_rs
14th June 2005, 09:50 AM
good work kee and andylo. Keep it up.

andylo
14th June 2005, 10:13 AM
On Saturday Kee actually had a 5 pars in a row at the back 9. Hitting all fairways and GIR.... awesome.

For me, occasaionally a good drive and "sugar" everything else was my stories on the long weekend. This weekend is too long :lol:

Course pending revenge:
Pacific
Beerwah
Nambour

Course to be challenge
Robina Woods
North Lake
Lakeland

AndyP
14th June 2005, 10:46 AM
Course pending revenge:
Pacific
Beerwah
Nambour
Geez, Andy, how long is this list going to get? :P

andylo
14th June 2005, 10:53 AM
My goal is to keep the list short. :lol:

We will see what happen in couple of weeks time.

And I updated the list a little too ;)

Kee
14th June 2005, 08:48 PM
I wouldn't mind playing Pacific, North Lakes, Robina Woods, and Brookwater again.

I actually broke my hcp for the first time in the comp last Saturday with 38 points. On the front 9 I had 17 and on the back nine, I had 21 and 3 wipes :shock: . The last 3 holes were just so frustrating how everthing feel apart after playing well with 5 pars and 1 bogey. That's golf I guess :smt102 .

Jarro
14th June 2005, 08:58 PM
good shooting Kee, keep it up mate 8)

McMw
14th June 2005, 09:59 PM
ahhhhh...the good old days....21 points in 1 nine, with 3 wipes.... :D

AndyP
19th June 2005, 05:54 PM
New handicap for andylo after Nudgee today.

26.0. =D>

We are on our way. 7.6 to go. ;)

Flowergirl
20th June 2005, 03:12 PM
He better not beat me to it..........time to pull the finger out methinks. :shock:

andylo
23rd June 2005, 10:54 AM
While after Kee finish buyung his 1.5 clubs I realised that I just bought a dozen! :shock:

Time to put a full stop now.... until cap = 18 anyway :lol:

Fishman Dan
23rd June 2005, 11:00 AM
While after Kee finish buyung his 1.5 clubs I realised that I just bought a dozen!  :shock:

Time to put a full stop now.... until cap = 18 anyway :lol:

A dozen :lol:

It's like waking up after a big night having picked up, only to realise you left your beer goggles elsewhere..... :shock:

AndyP
23rd June 2005, 11:08 AM
I noticed that your Beerwah card still hasn't gone in yet, I don't suppose you will be chasing up getting that 0.1 back?

andylo
23rd June 2005, 11:17 AM
What should I do? Is it ok if I leave it? Affect fairness?

Kee
23rd June 2005, 11:17 AM
Andylo certainly defines the saying "give and inch, take a mile". :P :D

I first broke the bet by buying a WRX Vokey 58* wedge. Then last saturday I sold my 983K driver and have since ordered a Ping G2 driver this week as its replacement (I only have 1 driver, well I have none until the Ping arrives).

Andylo, well, everyone knows what he's bought :P .

I've been fighting a losing battle with all the golf equipment manufacturers of this world to try to get andylo to be more "selective" with his purchases.

But what the heck, I'm eager to have a bash with his new clubs :P

KelvinC
23rd June 2005, 12:08 PM
Kee don't tell me that you trust A-Lo on not buying new clubs until he reaches 18 hc :twisted: . You know we have been influenced by him into HO. Right Andy? :wink:

andylo
23rd June 2005, 12:15 PM
My fault, my fault :D

And I am controlling myself now as well ;)

Kee
23rd June 2005, 01:24 PM
Yeah, its all your fault andylo. Now hand over those MP32s :D :P

andylo
23rd June 2005, 01:38 PM
Go away :D

markTHEblake
23rd June 2005, 01:54 PM
You and Kee should have a bet, like $100 on getting to 18 hcap. But not on who gets there first, but on who gets there the cheapest

Kee
23rd June 2005, 01:56 PM
That would be me hands down blakey. I'm married, nuff said.

markTHEblake
23rd June 2005, 02:04 PM
yeah i can tell your married from your AVATAR

Kee
23rd June 2005, 02:06 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: , Ok, I'm going to have to change that :oops:

AndyP
28th June 2005, 01:03 PM
New handicaps:

AndyLo 26.0 -> 24.8
Kee 25.2 -> 25.3

New leader.

brad
28th June 2005, 04:47 PM
Congrats AndyLo!!!

andylo
28th June 2005, 05:01 PM
Still like 7 point something to go... still early. But thanks Brad ;)

AndyP
28th June 2005, 08:19 PM
Still like 7 point something to go... still early. But thanks Brad ;)
6.4 oughta do it, Andy. :razz:

andylo
28th June 2005, 10:24 PM
That still like 16 shots in one round man ;)

andylo
29th June 2005, 11:07 AM
HATE THAT! :evil:

Every freaking time when I said "I will stop buying" goodies come up... MTB's Fusion Tour and the alikes.....

Sent him an PM... (because I forgot) then I sent him another PM (then I remeber) and all I got back is the word "good boy"!

:twisted:

Fishman Dan
29th June 2005, 11:44 AM
Just buy it :twisted: :twisted:

Just don't use it before you get to your 18 handicap. I'm sure Blake won't mind ;) Sure, it's bending the rules, but not strictly breaking them

markTHEblake
29th June 2005, 11:49 AM
I wouldnt sell a club to AndyLo unless he paid me twice the value of the club and gave me his first born.

But then again, its just like being a drug dealer, if i dont give the guy his fix, he will get it from another unscrupulous scumbag.

andylo
2nd July 2005, 09:23 PM
Too bad it didn't go to my GolfLinks but I have break 90 1st time ever! 45/44 = 89

:D :D :D

Now I am aftering Gailes!!

Kee
2nd July 2005, 10:57 PM
Yeah, well done Andylo =D> . You're game is starting to come together and you're hitting everything with much more consistency :).

Me I had a terrible front nine with a 55. I'm been working on getting my swing more on "plane" with the sholder so this swing thought caused heaps of topped and missed cue shots.

The second nine was much better at 43 as I abadoned most swing thoughts and just swung.

So a 98 for me today.

Play well at Gailes tomorrow Andylo :)

BrisVegas
11th July 2005, 08:08 AM
Andylo, I was impressed with some of the decisions you made yesterday. =D> You really are starting to make some smart choices and take the big numbers out of play. As good as you can hit the ball, the course management side of things will make a big impact on your scoring.

AndyP
11th July 2005, 08:20 AM
Andylo, I was impressed with some of the decisions you made yesterday.  =D>   You really are starting to make some smart choices and take the big numbers out of play.  As good as you can hit the ball, the course management side of things will make a big impact on your scoring.
That's good to hear, he needs to get those brainfarts out of his game.

How about Pete? :roll: :lol:

BrisVegas
11th July 2005, 08:25 AM
That's good to hear, he needs to get those brainfarts out of his game.

How about Pete?  :roll: :lol:

Hard to say.  I think Pete just had a tough day in terms of ball-striking.  

It was more the case that I noticed Andylo take a few conservatives options and club selections.  Scotty_g commented that he was a different player than the andylo he'd first met.  It also looked like andylo was swinging a little within himself too.  8)

peter_rs
11th July 2005, 09:04 AM
That was being nice BrisVegas.

My ball striking with my irons was not to bad, I always have and always will (well in the near future). My putting let me down abit as well but thats because I'm working on not leaving first putts short.

My driving on the over had was SH#T. It was just one of those days I could not hit drive any where I wanted. 5 drives OB others close.

AndyP
11th July 2005, 09:11 AM
It was just one of those days I could not hit drive any where I wanted. 5 drives OB others close.
I'd probably leave the driver in the bag after 2 or 3 OOBs. :shock:

peter_rs
11th July 2005, 09:23 AM
If it was not blowing a gail I would have- But since I strugled (at times) with the drive on sat and I was using the day as a practise session I kept using it.

If it was comp or a important social round I may have changed.

andylo
21st August 2005, 05:03 PM
Congrat to Kee has dropped 2.4 shot from comp yesterday in Royal Logan :D :D :D

Also it was his 1st time to break 90 in a par 72 course (89 off stick). Unfortunately there were couple of blow up in the card or else he will have his handicap decrease even lower.

He drove the ball beautifully and play a game which make sense (without stupid eagar like someone else in the group... aka ME :p) with a very relax and joyful mood.

Jarro
21st August 2005, 05:06 PM
congrats Kee ... well done mate 8)

terryand
21st August 2005, 05:25 PM
Way to go Kee :smt023 =D>

Terry.

McMw
21st August 2005, 06:59 PM
did he win???

terryand
21st August 2005, 07:24 PM
did he win???

Just looked in the paper,missed in a countback :cry:

Terry.

sominc
21st August 2005, 07:59 PM
thats tops

keep it up kee

McMw
21st August 2005, 08:08 PM
bummer.... :shock:

nicely done anyway!!! 8)

Eag's
21st August 2005, 09:16 PM
Nice work Kee :smt023 keep it up mate 8)

peter_rs
22nd August 2005, 08:34 AM
Good work Kee must be the putter :D

Kee
22nd August 2005, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys :D .

After a long week of work, I was just looking forward to a nice day outdoors doing something I enjoy. Didn't really care about the score. Its amazing how much of a mindset thing golf is.

I also had 3 birdies, the most ever in a round.

And the putter was rocking :). Love that Corza, thanks Davemason :smt023 .

AndyP
30th August 2005, 11:05 AM
Good to see another drop in the cap, Kee. Hopefully there is another couple of those left in you this year.

Fishman Dan
30th August 2005, 11:34 AM
Good to see another drop in the cap, Kee.  Hopefully there is another couple of those left in you this year.

I thought this thread was about encouragement. I make it about 16 weekends remaining in the year.. surely more than a couple of drops off that handicap.

Don't worry Kee, i'm not completely satisfied that you've reached your full potential yet :lol:

Grunt
30th August 2005, 06:52 PM
Dont let me hear that Fishman I want to get below 18 too, so many shots to lose so little time :?

Fishman Dan
30th August 2005, 09:36 PM
Dont let me hear that Fishman I want to get below 18 too, so many shots to lose so little time  :?

No probs Grant - i want to stay there... i think i'm on 17.3 now. Too many weekends left in the year for me ;) :lol:

Kee
31st August 2005, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure if there will be enough weekends for me to get the 18 now. The problem with golf for me is its great one round, crap for the next 10 rounds.

I'm not sure how to really calculate handicap drops but, I'm guessing I need at least 5 rounds in the high 80s to get to 18.

Fishman Dan
31st August 2005, 02:57 PM
Kee - the 'problem' I tend to have is that i break handicap by 4 or 5 shots, and then don't come close again for a while.

I would be much happier to consistently break handicap by 1 or 2 shots over a longer period of time.

amanda
31st August 2005, 04:24 PM
Kee - don't think about trying to break your handicap when you're out on the course - just enjoy your golf! I'm finding it difficult to get off 21-22 and down to my target of 18 - just seems to be an invisible barrier - it might help if I practiced though! ;)

Kee
1st September 2005, 09:41 PM
I know what you mean Fish. I find it difficult to play to handicap every week.

Amanda, the time I shot the 89 was when I was really relaxed just enjoying my day out in the sun after a long week of work. I haven't been to the range in more then a month or two now. Mainly due to being busy at work. So I try to enjoy every round I play (easier said then done).

AndyP
12th September 2005, 02:58 PM
Well, well, well. Look who’s taken the lead.

AndyLo (http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=4110904151) 22.8
Kee (http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=4110904152) 22.9

Game on! ;)

AndyP
13th December 2005, 01:01 PM
I believe there has been a couple of updates here.....

Come on, where's the reports?

andylo
13th December 2005, 01:42 PM
21.8 now

Jarro
13th December 2005, 01:45 PM
Kee 21.4

AndyLo 21.8

Game on indeed 8)

AndyP
13th December 2005, 02:12 PM
21.8 now
Wow! That's a spectacular report, A-Lo. Thanks for the in-depth account of your reduction in handicap....

andylo
13th December 2005, 04:19 PM
What do you want me to say?

Like how I screw up 2 * 2 feet par putt? How the ball skipped above the hole because the grass was too long on my birdie putt? How I lost 2 balls by playing conservatively on a tight fairway? And at the end I got another bloody runner up in my club's monthly medal again.... lost by 2 stroke?!

Damn, ALL THESE MAKES ME ANGRY!

:evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

peter_rs
13th December 2005, 04:27 PM
Hey Alo your lower then me... :wink:

you still have to catch shazza :wink:

She has 5 shots on me :oops: :roll: :lol:

AndyP
13th December 2005, 04:28 PM
You're a bit of a sore loser, aren't you?
I'd be quite happy to have a couple of runner ups to my name in my club's monthly medal.

Why don't you concentrate on what went right, instead of what went wrong?
You must have been hitting it OK, or better than normal?

BrisVegas
13th December 2005, 04:29 PM
Good scoring Andylo. Shame you are too focussed on the negatives to appreciate what improvements you've made in the past year or two.

Hope you have another good score on Sunday at Brookwater.

peter_rs
13th December 2005, 04:34 PM
Good work to all the guys that have dropped there hcp bring on next year.

Alo look at the good stuff you had 2 par putts from 2 feet (rest of your game must have been ok) . and uses it to give yourself something to work on.

Iain
14th December 2005, 12:32 AM
What do you want me to say?
Why not all the thing's you did well? And forget what went wrong.

Like how I screw up 2 * 2 feet par putt?
You must of cared too much that you make the putt. Stop caring and more putt's will drop.

How the ball skipped above the hole because the grass was too long on my birdie putt?
But did you putt the ball the way you wanted? If it was only the grass that kept it out and you hit a good putt, then concentrate on that, the grass you have no control over.....

How I lost 2 balls by playing conservatively on a tight fairway?
Obviously didn't trust your swing..... :smt018 :smt018

And at the end I got another bloody runner up in my club's monthly medal again.... lost by 2 stroke?!
You finsihed 2nd? Surely that is something to be happy with? Is winning the only thing that is important to you? :smt102 :smt102

Damn, ALL THESE MAKES ME ANGRY!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
That certainly won't help thing's...... :smt021

Iain

AndyP
14th December 2005, 09:15 AM
I think the old A-Lo was much better. The one that was excited and happy to have played golf. The new one is way too serious and has too many expectations.

andylo
14th December 2005, 09:40 AM
I think the old A-Lo was much better.  The one that was excited and happy to have played golf.  The new one is way too serious and has too many expectations.

I think its pretty hard when you already have certain goal/commitment to yourself. But at least I am still as keen to bashing ball :p

andylo
18th December 2005, 12:25 AM
Thought I can get my handicap down again! Shoot a nett 70 and I am hoping another .4 or .8 dropped....

Checking it tonite and I got a DQ :!::!::!::!::!::!:

I signed my card and I am sure I did everything right! Now I don't understand why!

FFS! I hate this handicap rubbish! I hate the stupid rules and I hate the picky stupid people! Whatever F! Go to hell! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

AndyP
18th December 2005, 06:27 AM
Oooooooo, shirty!!!!

I'd ring the club this afternoon and ask why.

Fishman Dan
18th December 2005, 08:14 AM
Thought I can get my handicap down again! Shoot a nett 70 and I am hoping another .4 or .8 dropped....

Checking it tonite and I got a DQ :!::!::!::!::!::!:

I signed my card and I am sure I did everything right! Now I don't understand why!

FFS! I hate this handicap rubbish! I hate the stupid rules and I hate the picky stupid people! Whatever F! Go to hell!  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

It's the high's and Lo's of golf :wink: :roll:

At least you didn't shoot a net 8-under. :?

BrisWesty
18th December 2005, 10:02 AM
ALo,

There's always something good that can be found about a round.

My work from about 100 metres and in was pretty poor yesterday, but I was getting generally into good position after 2 shots on most of the longer par 4s and the par 5s. Obviously work required on the short game.

Likewise, what were you doing well? You must have been doing OK to get into a position to finish 2nd. Mix up your practices, keep enjoying yourself, and don't let it get at you. Golf is a real reflection of character. Get your inner game sorted and a lot of the outer game gets sorted out.

Hope you have a great day at Brooky.

Fishman Dan
18th December 2005, 02:09 PM
PS - I want the report of why you were DQ'd.

Did your marker not sign? Did someone report an issue with your game that they could have addressed during the round??

AndyP
19th December 2005, 02:19 PM
I think ALo has a lot of work to do on the mental side of his game if he wants to get to the levels he talks about.

I personally, don't hit a great shot onto the green of a par 3, then immediately start talking about 3 putting.

Happened twice yesterday, and left both of the first putts well short. Talk about talking yourself into it.

AndyP
8th August 2006, 11:21 AM
Leaderboard Check

1. Kee 21.7
2. AndyLo 22.0

You can still take him, Kee.

BrisVegas
8th August 2006, 11:22 AM
yawn...

just
8th August 2006, 11:48 AM
Leaderboard Check

1. Kee 21.7
2. AndyLo 22.0

You can still take him, Kee.
Especially if Andy is left eye dominant and plays right handed.

dc68
8th August 2006, 12:16 PM
Especially if Andy is left eye dominant and plays right handed. :smt043