PDA

View Full Version : Old Arcade Games

Grunt
23rd January 2009, 12:03 PM
HI all

After a little bit of looking I have found a program that has all the old Arcade games on it that you can play on your PC. You name a game and it is probably on it.

Examples

Frogger
Galaga
Dig Dug
Galaxian
Pitfall II
Pac Man
Space invaders
Street Fighter
Track & Field

and heaps of others.

I can email to those who want it. PM me and I will send it today.

Johnny Canuck
23rd January 2009, 12:37 PM
Cheers Grunt! Would love it.

When I get the cash, I have always wanted to put one of these programs into a stand up arcade cabinet. This will have to do until then!

Toolish
23rd January 2009, 12:49 PM
Same Johnny...would love to set one up in a cabinet...

Minor_Threat
23rd January 2009, 12:53 PM
Im currently building a MAME cabinet.. It great fun and they dont look to bad either!

Grunt
23rd January 2009, 12:55 PM
Rusty & John, mame program sent

henno
23rd January 2009, 12:59 PM
I have been wanting to build a mame cabinet for the good part of a decade. But each time I start the design, I get a major case of "feature creep" and eventually decide it's all too much work.

My last brainstorm was to include a touchscreen so that it could double as a jukebox with an mpd backend, and custom mpc client (or a modified ncmpc).

Hmm, perhaps a popcorn maker wouldn't be a bad addition as well.

senecio
23rd January 2009, 01:06 PM
Hmm, perhaps a popcorn maker wouldn't be a bad addition as well.

Coffee machine??

Rusty
23rd January 2009, 01:11 PM
yeah i periodically think about building a MAME machine and getting the ROMs. i haven't done much looking for ROMs. where do people get the ROMs from? my games needs are very basic - just 5 ROMs for Space Invaders, Galaxian, Frogger, PacMan, Moon Patrol. that's about it. (i've got 2 cds with Atari 2600 & Activision PC games on them) there is an excellent MAME machine at the Game On exhibit in Bris atm.

some good time wasters (should maybe be in that thread) that play in Java

atari games
http://www.ataritimes.com/jstella/index.php - very stable, excellent

atari + other games
http://www.iplay.com.br/Jogos/Atari/2600/default.aspx?Atari=Cyplix_Hack - not as stable, some hangs, but still very good.

i've got some legacy Atari 2600 usb joysticks (http://www.legacyengineer.com/store.html)on order, to relive my childhood. now if only they'd bring out some paddles.

PeteyD
23rd January 2009, 01:43 PM
My son has a miniature atari joystick keyring thing. You can plug it in and play asteroids and millipede. Excellent!

zigwah
23rd January 2009, 01:48 PM
can't go past Galaga, still remember playing it at the Casablanca pizza parlour late on a friday night. 20 cents a pop lol

3oneday
23rd January 2009, 01:49 PM
Galaga or Moonpatrol for me 8)

Jarro
23rd January 2009, 01:57 PM
You can't beat the good ole Space Invaders 8)

dc68
23rd January 2009, 02:00 PM
Street Fighter....

Webster
23rd January 2009, 02:00 PM
Grunt, can you get me a copy of Leisuresuit Larry ?

Grunt
23rd January 2009, 02:14 PM
Grunt, can you get me a copy of Leisuresuit Larry ?
Sorry Jack it is not in the list.

shavey
23rd January 2009, 03:29 PM
Space Invaders, Galaga, Pac-man and Donkey Kong for mine.

I used to love d/l all the MAME roms and playing the alternate versions of some of the games that never made our stores... Damn there were some wacky Japanese versions out there. :-s

And good ole Leisure Suit Larry series... those graphics on the x386 just rocked!

macjackass
23rd January 2009, 04:49 PM
I used to love 1942!! Does anyone remember the name of the game that you were a spaceship flying through a lind of tunnel? I think it was called scrambler. Ring a bell to anyone? Couldn't find it when I searched for it under that name.

Minor_Threat
23rd January 2009, 05:13 PM
I have about 1000 odd ROMs somewhere on DVD.. Streetfighter and all those old goodies!

Henno your going too high tech on cabinet designs mate, in my opinion they are supposed to look oldschool, so you go for a CRT monitor (You need bugger all resolution and actually look better at low res) and a decent frontend to navigate games etc! That about it..

henno
23rd January 2009, 05:26 PM
Henno your going too high tech on cabinet designs mate, in my opinion they are supposed to look oldschool, so you go for a CRT monitor (You need bugger all resolution and actually look better at low res) and a decent frontend to navigate games etc! That about it..

Good point. I have a 17" CRT in my shed doing nothing as well as a few servers sitting around unused. Looks like I might have a project!

I just need to trawl ebay for some controllers/joysticks and I'm set.

For the unix geeks only: you will find there are scores of frontends for xmame (although I have migrated my home box to sdlmame seeing as xmame development has stagnated):

http://x.mame.net/frontends.html

Minor_Threat
23rd January 2009, 05:30 PM
Good point. I have a 17" CRT in my shed doing nothing as well as a few servers sitting around unused. Looks like I might have a project!

I just need to trawl ebay for some controllers/joysticks and I'm set.

For the unix geeks only: you will find there are scores of frontends for xmame (although I have migrated my home box to sdlmame seeing as xmame development has stagnated):

http://x.mame.net/frontends.htmlCheers for that mate.. I was contemplating writing my own front end and turning it into a full on project, but there are plenty out there to choose from in Window$ or *nix flavours..

Rusty
23rd January 2009, 05:47 PM
fwiw, the front end for a DOS, Windows or Unix platform, used on the machine at Game On is here (http://www.dribin.org/dave/game_launcher/)

henno
23rd January 2009, 06:00 PM
No development in well over half a decade is a little worrying to say the least :s

Rusty
23rd January 2009, 06:04 PM
or that it's stable 8-)

gaetan
23rd January 2009, 07:06 PM
I used to love 1942!! Does anyone remember the name of the game that you were a spaceship flying through a lind of tunnel? I think it was called scrambler. Ring a bell to anyone? Couldn't find it when I searched for it under that name.

If you're thinking of a game that moved left to right, had a helicopter that shot bullets to the right and dropped bombs as well then the game is Cobra.

goughy
23rd January 2009, 07:21 PM
Was it one where you couldn't as such change the pace you were flying through, but you could move left and right, up and down. And you kind of flew diagonally, or at least the screen moved diagonally. And it was like you were flying through a factory or something?

markTHEblake
23rd January 2009, 08:02 PM
I have all those games on my Xbox, it is a simple add on after modchipping it. I dont play any of them cos they are too hard, i really only wanted Pong.

macjackass
23rd January 2009, 08:23 PM
If you're thinking of a game that moved left to right, had a helicopter that shot bullets to the right and dropped bombs as well then the game is Cobra.

Didn't think it was a helicopter but the rest sounds pretty familiar. Wasn't a tunnel as such, it's width changed. That didn't sound very good.

adlo
23rd January 2009, 08:37 PM
http://www.videobomb.com/thumbnails/67a8be9b552b3ff812af90190c615a45.gif

I didn't invent Frogger, but I did come up with the name for it. Can you believe they were going to call it "Highway Crossing Frog"?

BrisWesty
23rd January 2009, 09:41 PM
goughy, remember the game but can't remember the name of it, but the first part you had to blow up things on the ground, and after a while you had to go through the "factory".

Bring back Donkey Kong!

henno
23rd January 2009, 10:39 PM
http://www.videobomb.com/thumbnails/67a8be9b552b3ff812af90190c615a45.gif

Funniest MTV Awards intro ever.

Adlo, you are one hilarious sumbitch. We need to gather for a beer or six in the not too distant future. I predict laughs-a-plenty and other general shenanigans.

Johnny Canuck
23rd January 2009, 10:49 PM

Adlo, you are one hilarious sumbitch. We need to gather for a beer or six in the not too distant future. I predict laughs-a-plenty and other general shenanigans.

He's even funnier with a putter in his hands:mrgreen:!

That's the last one. I swear.

Grunt
23rd January 2009, 10:51 PM
? for the guys that I sent the games too? Did you get them? Westy has not got his with a few goes at sending them.

Thanks

Johnny Canuck
23rd January 2009, 10:59 PM
Nothing on my end either.

Grunt
23rd January 2009, 11:02 PM
Sorry guys I stuffed up,

I have just realised the size of the files 226Mb, no wonder it is not working.

Grunt
23rd January 2009, 11:03 PM
I have just uploaded it to my Filefront page I will post the details later.

AndyP
23rd January 2009, 11:20 PM
These consoles you guys are building sound like quality dust-gatherers.

henno
23rd January 2009, 11:25 PM
These consoles you guys are building sound like quality dust-gatherers.

The idea in my case is to combine current dust-gathering appliances into one dust-gatherer to rule them all.

Johnny Canuck
23rd January 2009, 11:32 PM
I've got a juicer that I can donate to your noble cause Henno. A giant arcade game that makes fresh juice. AWESOME!

henno
23rd January 2009, 11:36 PM
I know you're being funny, but for some reason my salivary glands just went into overtime at the very thought of such a thing. :smt118

"Hey, get me some juice, I'm far too busy playing 1942!! Wait, never mind!! *Bzzzzzzzzz*"

Genius.

Grunt
24th January 2009, 07:00 AM
DELETED

PeteyD
24th January 2009, 08:59 AM
Is the game that scrolled bottom left to top right you are talking about Zaxxon
? see http://www.tripletsandus.com/80s/80s_games/arcade.htm

There was also Xevious which was brilliant.

I loved Dragon's Lair. And Gauntlet.

adlo
24th January 2009, 12:17 PM

Henno, appreciate the kind words. You're not too bad yourself, kid. You are stuck on the wrong side of the continent however.

He's even funnier with a putter in his hands:mrgreen:!

That's the last one. I swear.
You better watch out for the winds of sh*t. Either that, or Bo Bandy's pants are coming off.

I know you're being funny, but for some reason my salivary glands just went into overtime at the very thought of such a thing. :smt118

"Hey, get me some juice, I'm far too busy playing 1942!! Wait, never mind!! *Bzzzzzzzzz*"

Genius.
Classic.

:mrgreen::mrgreen:

goughy
24th January 2009, 12:43 PM
Is the game that scrolled bottom left to top right you are talking about Zaxxon
? see http://www.tripletsandus.com/80s/80s_games/arcade.htm

That's the one :mrgreen:

Tomo
24th January 2009, 01:38 PM
Hey Grunt,

What program do I use to make the RAR program run?

Cheers
Tomo

adlo
24th January 2009, 01:56 PM
I assume you need something to unpack the RAR file (similar to ZIP file)

Tomo
24th January 2009, 02:21 PM
Well, I found a file that said it unpacked it ok, but all games I try to play state there are files missing.????

Grunt
24th January 2009, 04:20 PM
Bugger, Tomo

I will burn copies of CD's next week if that makes it easier. Should not be too much in postage. I will work on it.

Tomo
24th January 2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks Grunt,

You are a top bloke.

I was salivating looking that the game names.

Let me know when you are ready and I will paypal you cost plus $$$ for a few beers.

Cheers
Tomo

damoocow
24th January 2009, 11:32 PM
Ditto PeteyD - I loved Dragon's Lair also - it was so high tech !.............I used to have it on PS2 but just wasn't quite the same...................I also had a fondness for the old Elevator Action too.

Scottt
25th January 2009, 12:08 AM

Genius.
I reckon you need a slurpee machine that feeds directly into one of those beer dispensing helmets, so you have a constant stream while you're playing.

http://www.kegfun.com/images/beerhelmet.jpg

Blue slurpee on one side, red on the other.

Sweet!!

AndyP
25th January 2009, 10:52 AM
Here is the link to the file on FilefrontAny chance that it is illegal to have this file?

Minor_Threat
25th January 2009, 10:58 AM
Any chance that it is illegal to have this file?It probably is mate, I believe distributing ROMS is illegal.. However I doubt this site has anything to worry about as it isn't hosting anything!

Well, I found a file that said it unpacked it ok, but all games I try to play state there are files missing.????Mate I believe MAME displays all ROMS for that version released, you sort of need to know what ROMS you have in order to play the right ones. Its been a while since I used it so I may be wrong..