PDA

View Full Version : Low Ball Flight

FlyBallDavo
21st January 2009, 08:31 PM
Hey guys,

I am 6ft 3 and have a low drawing ball flight. My 3 iron off the deck would not get more than 10m off the ground (if that). My golf ball obviously does not carry as far in the air and has no chance of holding a green. Off the tee however it is much better.

I have had lessons to re-structure my swing when I started playing seriously 3 years ago. My swing became too flat after this and since then I have brought it back up a little to what I feel is now a good height.

My ball flight however is still low. Any ideas on how to get it higher by still hitting a draw?

Dotty
21st January 2009, 09:55 PM
Waiting for Jack's suggestion of a 7 wood.

Have you looked at hybrids? Both these options are designed to have the weight low and further back to help get the ball in the air, and used as an alternative to a 3 iron.

Grab a demo or two from your local pro, and give the hybrid a try, probably around 18* -20* loft. (Alternatively, pop over to a demo day/night at your local range.)

Davo, is it only the three iron, or 4 and 5 also ?

Golfnut
21st January 2009, 10:17 PM
Good option Dotty.... I used to hate my 3 iron, avoided it like the plague.....I went for a 3 hybrid when I upgraded my gear and it made a world of difference.....mind you, didn't think 10m high ball flight for a 3 iron would be considered that bad FBD :-k

adlo
21st January 2009, 10:46 PM
Johnny Canuck?? He hits a low draw but can elevate when required. He should help.

Have you tried a little more spine tilt? Or moving the ball forward in your stnace?

Johnny Canuck
21st January 2009, 11:01 PM
When I need to hit it higher I make sure my weight doesn't creep ahead of my hands before impact. I also hold my head (and only my head, not my entire body) a little higher at address.

I also bought a hybrid 3, which is gold. I can hit it low, high, draw, cut, anything. I can certainly do a lot more with it than I ever could with a 3 iron.

If you are going to buy a hybrid, make sure you try it out first, especially because you are a draw player. A lot of them can be hook machines. I love TaylorMade gear, but I can't hit a TM hybrid straight to save my life. I can't even hit them mildly left.

adlo
21st January 2009, 11:22 PM
Should try Adams hybrids Johnny. Anti left. I have a spare one sitting around with a stiff Prolaunch Red :)

Johnny Canuck
21st January 2009, 11:57 PM
what loft?

adlo
22nd January 2009, 12:10 AM
19 degree, 3 iron. I will bring it along sometime, maybe to Binningup, if you want to swing it ina social round.

Johnny Canuck
22nd January 2009, 12:21 AM
sounds good. bring it along.

adlo
22nd January 2009, 12:31 AM
Will do.

Excuse this threadjack, back to normal programming.....

Jarro
22nd January 2009, 05:30 AM
Get a hybrid FBD, no way you can hit those puppies low :)

virge666
22nd January 2009, 12:35 PM
Hey guys,
I am 6ft 3 and have a low drawing ball flight. My 3 iron off the deck would not get more than 10m off the ground (if that). My golf ball obviously does not carry as far in the air and has no chance of holding a green. Off the tee however it is much better.

Don't get a hybrid - it will not fix the problem. You are smothering the ball. You need to learn to release the clubhead in the right direction.

Your low ball flight happens when you do not move your weight forward on the downswing, hang back and rotate the hands. Standard problem for many a good player - especialy bigger stronger guys. If you get someone behind you - he will tell you you are aiming a mile right. (You are basically hitting pull hooks, google "PULL HOOKS" for more info)

Grab a 4i, tee up a ball about 1.5" inches and teach yourself to hit stupidly high draws or hooks by staying OVER the ball and letting your hands and arms go PAST your body. Feel like you are flicking your hands at the ball.

Standard problem - standard drill.

I am at narabeen driving range on Thursday nights after 6pm - happy to show you the drill and fix it for you. Piece of piss.

Chris32
22nd January 2009, 01:39 PM
Get a hybrid FBD, no way you can hit those puppies low :)

Unless its a 15* J33 ;)

Toolish
22nd January 2009, 01:59 PM
As a low ball hitter, why are you using a 9.5° driver?

Jarro
22nd January 2009, 04:04 PM
Unless its a 15* J33 ;)

Oh yeah :shock: :oops:

Chris32
22nd January 2009, 04:27 PM
Oh yeah :shock: :oops:

Funny thing is they guy I sold it to hits it miles high. That was the lowest launching club I have ever hit, but it went OK

FlyBallDavo
22nd January 2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. As virge said, I do tend to aim out to the right. ;)
I think I will stick to a 3 iron for a while as I am determined to fix the problem. Besides, the problem is in the swing which is affecting all my irons but most noticeably in the lower iron ball flight.
I will work on getting my weight further forward and my arms and hands through at the same time.:)
I dont have a problem with the 9.5 degree driver as I can hit that both high and low. I use to use an 8.5 degree driver.