PDA

View Full Version : Great cricketing moments you've witnessed

Fishman Dan
19th January 2009, 09:02 AM
Spurred by the recent cricket threads, this one is to recount stories witnessed in the crowd. Note - ideally you were in the crowd.

SCG - must have been about 1980'ish. Greg Chappell batting at the Randwick end hooks (some NZ'er) onto the roof of the old Sheridan stand. Biggest hit I've ever seen.

About 1983/4? - Greg Chappell becomes the highest test run scoring Australian, and does it against the West Indies. After failing in the first innings, he needed something like 64 runs in the 2nd innings.

AndyP
19th January 2009, 09:08 AM
McGrath's 50 against the Kiwis at the Gabba, including a six off Vettori, comes to mind immediately. That was a great afternoon.

Sydney Hacker
19th January 2009, 09:08 AM
Your memory must be starting to fail you Dan.... It was against the Paki's and in the first innings he scored 182 I think and I can still remember some of the shots off his legs even though I was 10 at the time.

3oneday
19th January 2009, 09:12 AM
I was rolling down the hill the day Border got 8 for against the Windies, almost remember some of it too :lol:

Webster
19th January 2009, 09:14 AM
First time I went to the Test cricket was the Centenery Test in Melbourne in 1977 with my old man and older brother. We entered the MCG just as Rod Marsh brought up his 100 in the second innings, and then later saw Rick McCosker stride to the pitch "swathed in bandages" after having his jaw broken by Bob Willis in the first innings.

I was at all five days of the Barbados Test in 1999 where Brian Lara made 153 not out in the last innings to guide the West Indies home to a one wicket win over Australia with half an hours play left on the fifth day. Probably one fo the top 5 Tests of all time. On the rum for 5 days straight with the locals and a tour group from Bermuda was fantastic...

Bruce
19th January 2009, 09:52 AM
Boxing Day 1981. My first day of test cricket. Kim Hughes made a ton that I would only realise how tough it was from replays later in life. At the time I just knew we were in a lot of trouble as wickets fell constantly for the day.

Then Dennis Lillee took a couple of wickets late in the day including bowling Viv Richards off the last ball and he kept running straight off the ground into the change rooms. The crowd went berzerk. I could still hear them chanting Lillee, Lillee inside the ground as we stood on the platform at Richmond Station.

Fishman Dan
19th January 2009, 10:32 AM
Your memory must be starting to fail you Dan.... It was against the Paki's and in the first innings he scored 182 I think and I can still remember some of the shots off his legs even though I was 10 at the time.

It might have even been to pass Don Bradman's total runs. Hmm... i was in about 5th grade (makes me 10 or 11) and sat in the Brewongle Concourse. I still remember a couple of blokes throwing sultana's into Larry Gomes hair as he fielded at fine leg.

Fishman Dan
19th January 2009, 10:53 AM
Kris Srikkanth dispatching Dutchy Holland to all corners of the SCG en route to 100 in a session.

In the ABC highlights package you could faintly hear a 13 year old yelling "Holland you turd" during one of his more costly overs (18 or 20 runs?).

sms316
19th January 2009, 10:57 AM
Getting a ticket to day one of Steve Waugh's final test - only for him to lose the toss (to a massive chorus of boos). Then watched Australia's gun attack of Nathan Bracken and Brad Williams get belted en route to India being about 3 for 300 at the end of the day.

Crowd went nuts whenever Waugh fielded.

Only thing better was one of those Sam Kekovich lamb ads was played on the big screen during a drinks break. The crowd went absolutely ape droppings at the end of it.

Moe Norman
19th January 2009, 11:03 AM
I went to every day of all 6 tests of the 1993 Ashes Tour with my old man.

Witnessed some pretty awesome Australian efforts.

Warne's first delivery in Test Cricket on English soil....
Slater 152 at Lords, not to mention a lazy 164 from Boon, 120 odd from Tubby and 99 from Junior Waugh in the same innings, needless to say the crowd was pretty quiet at Lords that week. AB scored 70 odd as well from memory!

Other impressive events in that series were Healy's maiden test ton, Thorpe scoring a ton on debut, Border scoring 200* in the 4th test and Gooch batted pretty well generally, especially compared to his teammates.

At home, I saw Gilly debut and score 80 odd at the Gabba, I was there for Healy's 161* at the Gabba and I also saw Hayden's twin tons in the first Ashes when Nasser sent us in.

Sydney Hacker
19th January 2009, 01:18 PM
It might have even been to pass Don Bradman's total runs. Hmm... i was in about 5th grade (makes me 10 or 11) and sat in the Brewongle Concourse. I still remember a couple of blokes throwing sultana's into Larry Gomes hair as he fielded at fine leg.

All in the same game, he passed Bradman, scored a century in his last test innings (as well as his first) and I think he even took a few catches to hold the then record for most catches by a fielder.

My father drove me down to Sydney from Central Qld to watch the game as he suspected it would be the last test for Lillee, Marsh and obviously Chappell.

Not sure where the memory about Gomes hair comes from though as it was definately against the Paki's.

goughy
19th January 2009, 02:03 PM
I saw Fatty's catch. 'bout it really!

sms316
19th January 2009, 02:06 PM
I saw Fatty's catch. 'bout it really!
How about you delete your own post?
:mrgreen:

dc68
19th January 2009, 02:57 PM
Going to 2 days (Sat and Sun) of the Shield final when Qld 1st won it..... Only wish I had been there on the last day.

Chris32
19th January 2009, 02:58 PM
Saw Aussies loose by 1 run to Windies in 1993 at Adelaide Oval.

Craig McDermott given out off the grill with about 2 overs to go.

David Boon taken to hospital in same game after a Ian Bishop bouncer to point of the elbow.

I actually have the game on a highlights tape called classic test finishes

Never felt so gutted about a sporting result

Fishman Dan
19th January 2009, 03:09 PM
All in the same game, he passed Bradman, scored a century in his last test innings (as well as his first) and I think he even took a few catches to hold the then record for most catches by a fielder.

My father drove me down to Sydney from Central Qld to watch the game as he suspected it would be the last test for Lillee, Marsh and obviously Chappell.

Not sure where the memory about Gomes hair comes from though as it was definately against the Paki's.

Credit goes to you. I've got nothing except to say I spent many test matches as a kid sitting in the Brewongle concourse!

As I remembered it he failed in the previous innings, but that proves to be the previous test matches;

1st test (WACA): 17 (innings-and win)
2nd test (Gabba): 150* (drawn with Australia batting once)
3rd test (Adelaide): 6 and 4 (run out!)
4th test (MCG): 5 (Match Drawn)
5th test (SCG): 182* (Innings-and win)

News Article about Chappell, Lillee and Marsh exiting the game (http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/275376.html)

Sydney Hacker
19th January 2009, 03:24 PM
Credit goes to you. I've got nothing except to say I spent many test matches as a kid sitting in the Brewongle concourse!

As I remembered it he failed in the previous innings, but that proves to be the previous test matches;

1st test (WACA): 17 (innings-and win)
2nd test (Gabba): 150* (drawn with Australia batting once)
3rd test (Adelaide): 6 and 4 (run out!)
4th test (MCG): 5 (Match Drawn)
5th test (SCG): 182* (Innings-and win)

News Article about Chappell, Lillee and Marsh exiting the game (http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/275376.html)

Like I said the only reason I remember it was my old man drove me 1,500 odd kilometres to watch it. I also remembered it was the Paki's because I was annoyed that Imran was not bowling so did not get a chance to watch him.

gregorywannabe
19th January 2009, 04:21 PM
In 1974 (just into teenage years ;)) at the WACA I saw Doug Walters get a ton in a session against the Poms with a six over the square leg boundary (where I was sitting) from a Bob Willis bouncer off the last ball of the day. Fantastic!

chappy1970
19th January 2009, 04:48 PM
My dad took the whole family out to VFL Park to see the first pyjama cricket day/nighter in '77. I was 7

Don't remember too much, but I was there.

Minor_Threat
19th January 2009, 05:41 PM
Saw Bevan hit 4 off the last ball at the SCG in '96.

markTHEblake
19th January 2009, 06:48 PM
India beating Qld Country at Nambour in 1978, best cricket match I have ever seen.

mike
19th January 2009, 07:12 PM
Saw Gus Logie belt a six back over Thommo's head around 1980 ish @ the SCG. I was in the Sheridan stand and it missed me by about three seats.

Best six I've ever seen.

mike
19th January 2009, 07:15 PM
Sitting with my grandma listening to the radio when Doug Walters hit Bob Willis for a six off the last ball of the day to get a 100 in a session. What a moment.

Dougie was the best.

WBennett
19th January 2009, 08:34 PM
Andrew Symonds debut test ton (I could be wrong) at the G against the Poms on Boxing Day was special. That monstrous 6 straight down the ground....

Steve Waugh ending the first day 99 not out against the West Indies also sticks in my mind.

Seeing a McGrath 5 for and a Ponting century in the same day vs New Zealand at Christchurch whilst on my honeymoon was also memorable

I have been to about a dozen ODI's at the SCG, and the most memorable was a Moin Kahn 6 to win a Triseries final Australia was not playing in...

uahmad
19th January 2009, 09:01 PM
Ooh ohh seeing this thread made my eyes water. Have to share what I consider great moments in cricket and I was luckily enough to witness them in the ground.

The first one is the 1992 Wold Cup Final between Pakistan and England.
Now Pakistan were luckily enough to even reach the semis let alone finals.
We played terribly lost too many games and in the end we needed West Indies to beat Aus and SA to lose to somoene to make the semis which the odds of that happening were 200/1. Some how it did and Pakistan made it into the Final. England were favorites and had played all their games in the series beautifuly.

Packed MCG crowd oh what a night. One thing stands out the most is when Wasim Akram took Neil Fairbrothers wicket, that ball hit the deck and came in by 3 meteres... What a ball! what a night!

The other one was in Hobart where i saw Asif Mujtaba hit Steve Waugh for a 6 of the last ball to tie the ODI. absolutely brilliant I remember even Asif hadnt a clue what had happen.. he thought there would be a bonus extra ball to play or something because it took him a little while to realise the match was over...

Fishman Dan
19th January 2009, 09:09 PM

I was having a beer up the road at the Paddington RSL during that game.

Scottt
19th January 2009, 09:09 PM
You were helped the final by the bullshit rain rule that robbed RSA. They needed 22 off 13, then after the rain needed 22 off 1 :lol:

jimandr
19th January 2009, 09:28 PM
I used to go to the cricket at the SCG almost every year from about 1976 to about 1990. Strangely, I cannot really recall anything particular sensational occurring on the days I went. Big things usually happened on the days I didn't go.

I was at the ground the day Michael Holding burst into tears after having an appeal turned down, but I was visiting the gents at the time of the incident, so I didn't see it. That was the first day of live test cricket I ever saw.

However, the best day (or actually only one session) of cricket I ever saw was one of Australia's darkest days, 1992/3 v Sth Africa, where we needed another 60 to win with 6 wickets in hand, and fell agonisingly short. Damien Martin was the hope of the side. He threw his wicket away, and his career for the next eight years.

The last half an hour was so tense, with firstly McDermott and Lawson forging a recovery, then McGrath not being able to last out the over to give McDermott the strike. Every ball was edge of the seat stuff.

goughy
19th January 2009, 09:34 PM
Bit OT,

My BIL was telling me today. A guy we played indoor cricket with (and he plays outdoor with) was at the Gabba with his son (16yrs), his cousin and his cousins 3yr old girl for the 20/20 the other night. They could be seen when Reifle (whatever) went over to the sightscreen to get up some people moving about. Anyways, Boucher was in front of them hitting some balls into the fence as a warmup when he hits one wrong and it slams into the seat the 3yr old had been sitting in 10secs earlier; she was now in dad's lap. Anyway, she bursts out crying etc and boucher apologises etc. Bit later on Botha and Boucher come over to them and Botha gives them an SA cap signed by the entire team! My mate grabs his 16yr old boy, pushes him in front of Boucher and goes 'You can hit him all you want!!'.

Scottt
19th January 2009, 09:45 PM
We were sitting in the Ladies Stand when I was about 11 and the Aussies were warming up in front of us. They left a ball in the gutter by accident, so I jumped the fence and got it and walked over to the side of the players' area where Steve Waugh was still standing. I shouted out that they'd left a ball in the gutter and he told me I could have it. It was so awesome!

I saw Gilly's breakthrough ODI ton at the top of the order, when he put one into the top of the O-Reilly stand.

I went to all five days of Steve Waugh's last test (managed to pat him on the back on his way off after a final dig of 80) and all of Langer, Warney and Pidge's last test. Really special memories.

I was in the tunnel of the O'Reilly stand when Gough took a hattrick. We ran to an exit every time we heard a roar, then thought "he won't get another". Repeat twice over and we'd missed his hattrick!

golfnugget76
20th January 2009, 07:28 AM
Taking a day off school and being there on the final day, when QLD won it's first shield!

Grunt
20th January 2009, 07:42 AM
Don't think I have ever been to the cricket for a moment that would be classed as great. I have had some great cricket days though. Haven't been to the cricket since school day though. Prices are just not worth it nowadays, too pricey.
Might change this week though, I might go to the 20/20 Big Bash Final on sat night.

Sydney Hacker
20th January 2009, 08:11 AM

A guy I played cricket with left that game with about 5 overs to go as he thought the Aussies had no chance !

He also left the NSW vs England one dayer from a few years ago a couple of overs before Steve Waugh walked out and snotted a few 6's to try and prove he should still be in the one day team.

uahmad
20th January 2009, 08:16 AM
You were helped the final by the bullshit rain rule that robbed RSA. They needed 22 off 13, then after the rain needed 22 off 1 :lol:

Oh thats it, the rain rule. It all comes back. Poor SA they have always had bad lucks in the World Cup, i think in another cup they got a dubious decision with the rain rule..

Moe Norman
20th January 2009, 10:39 AM
We were sitting in the Ladies Stand when I was about 11 and the Aussies were warming up in front of us. They left a ball in the gutter by accident, so I jumped the fence and got it and walked over to the side of the players' area where Steve Waugh was still standing. I shouted out that they'd left a ball in the gutter and he told me I could have it. It was so awesome!

The day Healy scored 161* against the Windies, Bishop was fielding at fine leg, as fast bowlers tend to do, and I was with mates on the hill. I would have been about 15 at the time and I jumped the fence, ran on the ground at the change of overs and pinched his towel!

I was pretty disappointed to find it said "Wooloongabba Linen Services" on it rather than embroidered with his name and the WI logo or something. Bishop was my favourite non-australian player back then, shame about the injuries!

Scottt
20th January 2009, 11:00 AM
:lol: You'd be $5K lighter if you did it these days.

I also got Michael Slater's half-drunk water bottle from Andy Bichel during a Sydney test.

I suppose this also qualifies. Through something that came up during an on air chat on Triple M's old brekkie show The Cage, I got to have a net with Michael Slater at North Sydney Oval one morning. He gave me a shitload of his old Aussie and NSW gear. It was such a buzz. One over of the session was broadcast live to air! Shane Lee came along to be my bowling coach.

Webster
20th January 2009, 11:05 AM
I could probably tell my other story about sitting in the spa drinking stubbies on top of the Heritage Hotel in Auckland with the Aussie Test Team in 2000, watching some fat bloke chop up his girlfriend in the window of the adjoining apartment building, but its not really a "cricket" story as such .....

3oneday
20th January 2009, 12:31 PM
Might change this week though, I might go to the 20/20 Big Bash Final on sat night.
Pity Warner probably won't be playing, be worth watching against teams that don't worry about tactics :lol:

Grunt
20th January 2009, 01:51 PM
Pity Warner probably won't be playing, be worth watching against teams that don't worry about tactics :lol:

Cricket Australia have said that no players will be release for state duty.

raidrboy
20th January 2009, 09:05 PM
World X1 V's Australia at the MCG. Replacement series when the RSA tour was cancelled.
Garfield Sobers 254 for the World X1.
Have not seen an innings that comes even close to a comparison with that dig.

damoocow
21st January 2009, 11:21 PM
Boxing Day 1981. My first day of test cricket. Kim Hughes made a ton that I would only realise how tough it was from replays later in life. At the time I just knew we were in a lot of trouble as wickets fell constantly for the day.

Then Dennis Lillee took a couple of wickets late in the day including bowling Viv Richards off the last ball and he kept running straight off the ground into the change rooms. The crowd went berzerk. I could still hear them chanting Lillee, Lillee inside the ground as we stood on the platform at Richmond Station.

Saw highlights of this Kim Hughes innings recently on 'Cricket in the 80's' - for me that was the time cricket was best - late 70's to early 80's - can't say why......... but I really enjoyed wondering who Graham Wood would run out next ..and if Rick Darling and Bruce Laird would be remembered ....spent ages trying to perfect the Willis 'hold the ball at a funny angle' run up and wondering how hot Bishen Bedi's turban got...

damoocow
21st January 2009, 11:30 PM
Most enjoyable cricketing moment[s] for me was a mid 80's series of 3 one day matches entitled 'Skags Vs Sleaze'...........probably about 20 or so people who knew each other assigned themselves to a team depending on whether they rode a motorbike [Skags] or were Heavy Metal devotees {sleaze}......Jarro was on the Sleaze Team and I was Captain of the Skags........they were 3 great games of cricket played out over about a year on school cricket grounds with borrowed gear and the usual one day restrictions on bowling and fielding, with the Skags victorious 2 games to 1........