PDA

View Full Version : Your club

Scottt
15th January 2009, 01:07 AM
Please forgive me if this has been done prior to my arrival.

Where are you a member?
Why did you join there?
How long have you been there?
What do you like about it?
What do you dislike about it?
Does it have any strange claims to fame/interesting facts?
What's the best hole (and include a pic if you can)?

Where are you a member? Bardwell Valley (www.thevalley.org.au)

Why did you join there? I was planning to move overseas and went searching for the cheapest country membership I could find. Bardwell Valley's was $145pa.

How long have you been there? Since February 2007.

What do you like about it? There are a few nice holes, but mostly it was close to my home in Sydney and cheap. And easy to score on.

What do you dislike about it? The members generally aren't "golfers", if you know what I mean. Par 62. Regular foursomes, ambrose and fourball events on Saturdays. Balls go missing a lot on adjacent fairways.

Does it have any strange claims to fame/interesting facts? It's the home club of Lester Peterson, who has represented Australia in teams events a fair few times and has won club champs across either three or four decades (can't remember which). Also, the M5 Motorway runs under 11 of the holes.

What's the best hole (and include a pic if you can)? 18. A par three of 165 or so from the plates (bordered left by OOB) that can be accessed a multitude of ways (cutting it in off the bank on the left, running it up the front, flying it on) and a sneaky breaking green that is 50% hidden by a front right trap, so right hand pins take balls to attack, or guile to access off the slope on the left. A tough finishing hole when you've got a good round going, but a shot on offer for most (rating 5 I think) so you can also cash in.

Pic below (running top right to bottom left).

sms316
15th January 2009, 07:38 AM
Where are you a member? Albury GC (otherwise known as Commercial Golf Resort - hahaha), and also Yowani GC.

Why did you join there? I was a junior there (Albury). Mates are members at Yowani - and it is not far from home.

How long have you been there? Albury - 22 years. Yowani - 1 year.

What do you like about it? Albury - the greens as good as anywhere in the country. Yowani - it isn't overrun by green fee golfers.

What do you dislike about it? Bunkers at both courses are horrible. I dislike the current ownership of Albury (hence why I refuse to refer to it as Commercial Golf Resort - how do they get away with calling it a resort anyway?). If I say any more about Albury I'll probably get suspended, again. As for Yowani, I dislike that they cater for all the old coots, and then wonder why they are struggling to attract new members.

Does it have any strange claims to fame/interesting facts? Jack Nicklaus once held the course record at Albury (he played an exhibition match there against Billy Dunk).

What's the best hole (and include a pic if you can)? I'd say the 6th at Albury. Not an especially great hole, but a big sloping green from back to front, and coupled with the usual green speed it shows up the guys who can't putt (which is the way I like it).

I'd say probably 14th at Yowani. About 350m dead straight, but really narrow and penal either side if you miss. You just need to back yourself off the tee to make a good swing.

Moe Norman
15th January 2009, 08:16 AM
Where are you a member?

Brisbane Golf Club www.brisbangolfclub.com.au (http://www.brisbangolfclub.com.au)

Why did you join there?

It's one of only 2 private courses in Brisbane, and its very close to from my house. But the real reason is because 2 weeks before I got accepted into RQ, they put the nom up to $10k and I couldn't afford it at the time.

bit over 2 years I think

It's a good private club with a good bunch of blokes as members, can get a game any time I like and it a < 1 minute drive from my house.

Saturday morning groups can often include blokes like Allan Border and Andrew Slack who are great for a chat and hit it pretty well too!

Edit: oh and we have 21 holes and good practice facilties, but I never use them!

They allow too many people to use carts, especially on a Saturday - it's like Pit Lane!
Also, the actual golf course itself isn't all that good.

It's the oldest club in QLD and is the only club with the course record held jointly by Arnold Palmer & Gary Player.

The 10th - 400m Par 4, Index 8

Overhead view

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/6862/bgc10thlj2.jpg

Approach (if you hit a 300m drive down the perfect line!)

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/84/bgc10thapproachpb9.jpg

BGC Location (nice and close to home!)

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/5711/bgcwm4.jpg

BrisVegas
15th January 2009, 08:17 AM
Where are you a member?
Brookwater GC.
Why did you join there?
We bought land there in Jan 2003 to build our first home. At that time, land prices in Brisbane were going crazy and Brookwater was good value compared to the other areas we looked, ie. North Lakes, Redland Bay, Manly West etc etc..
I played the golf course and that sealed the deal for me.
Living there since 2005, had an 18month stint as a corporate partner and then joined as a resident member in July 2008.
It's challenging, has a good variety of holes, it's always in good condition and is a visually enjoyable course to play. I can always get a tee time and it's a short stroll to the clubhouse from my house.
It's expensive to be a member there, which limits my golf at other courses. Most of the members ride in carts and I prefer to walk.
It was voted Australias hardest course recently.
The 1st. Tough opening tee shot (from the plates especially), but if you hit a good one it can leave you with only a short iron in.
http://www.brookwater.com.au/golf/holes/1.php

sms316
15th January 2009, 08:20 AM
It's expensive to be a member there, which limits my golf at other courses. Most of the members ride in carts and I prefer to walk.

And they core the greens in January? :shock:

mikezone13
15th January 2009, 08:23 AM
Where are you a member? Eastlake GC (www.eastlakegolfclub.com.au (http://www.eastlakegolfclub.com.au))

Why did you join there? Good value for an inner Sydney city course, a lot friendlier than Wakeurst (nearest GC to home) and also is close to work for the odd afternoon practice session.

How long have you been there? Nearly 4 years I think now.. wow time flies

What do you like about it? Condition of the fairways are always great and there is constant improvement always going on. Two new holes and two redeisgned holes since I have joined (the plan is 2 per year so they're on schedule which is amazing for a golf club). Also like that we have 21 holes available, so during reno's etc we don't have temp greens or only play 17 holes etc (all 3 spares are par 3's though). Members are all friendly as well whether they're 9 or 90 years old.

What do you dislike about it? The clubhouse is pretty old and scungy, although the beer is cold (most important aspect really). The old bunkers need some improvement/maintenance. The comp fees are a touch steep for poor value voucher prizes. Some members play gimmees in comps (used to be a big issue, then stopped and seems to have reared it's head again).

Does it have any strange claims to fame/interesting facts? Not really, does having Peter Garrett as one of the Patrons count? Or perhaps the 20+ year battle with the council to build the bridge over Wentworth Ave (finally completed last year). It also sits between The Lakes and Bonnie Doon and is often referred to as 'The East Course' (it's east of The Lakes).

What's the best hole (and include a pic if you can)? I beleive it has to be hole 7 (the old number 8.) Par 5 of 520m, it's just be redone and had the green mvoed about 20m to the right of where it used to be. Off the tee it doglegs slightly to the right (becoems a 480m hole if you take the right line) but with bunkers in the inside of the dogleg as well as a pot on the left side of the fairway to catch short drives, left is safe but is harder to get home in 2, from the right or middle of fairway you have a bail out area left of the green (lots of swails) but the fairway gvies extreme run so you can attack the front portion fo the green from distance (not uncommon to hit a 240m 3 wood to the front edge). The layup play is also an option, the green is large with lots of interesting 'rooms' in it with bunkers from front all the way aroudn the right side of the green - any score from 4 to 10 is possible.

3oneday
15th January 2009, 08:25 AM
Where are you a member? Dunheved Golf Club (In Sydneys West)

Why did you join there? I knew a few of the guys and was frustrated with the drive to Windsor.

How long have you been there? Only 6 months, I tried it a couple of years ago, went back to Windsor, got frustrated and went back to Dunheved.

What do you like about it? It's a tough and relatively long golf course. Generally I only hit less then 4 iron on one of the 5 par 3's. It's a good challenge and I reckon if you can play to your handicap here you can play to it on most tracks (Subsequently, my handicap has blown a full point since joining). Oh, and the guys I play with are all pissheads.

What do you dislike about it? Limited tee times as they need to have social golfers to survive. One tee in the morning on Saturdays and no comp until 11.30am on a Sunday. This was the initial reason I went back to Windsor last year !

Does it have any strange claims to fame/interesting facts?Not that I am aware of.

What's the best hole (and include a pic if you can)?None really stand out as outstanding holes.

Scottt
15th January 2009, 08:30 AM
I quite like the 2nd and 17th, Pete.

moree golfer
15th January 2009, 09:20 AM
Where are you a member?
Moree GC in Northwest NSW.
Why did you join there?
Simply because unless I like driving an hour for golf it is the closest course to me.
I joined as a playing member about 10mths after moving to Moree, moved there in Jan 2003, so about five years.
Nicely kept course with plenty of watering. During the drought the only green you could see when flying into Moree was the golf course. The clubhouse has been recently renovated and is well air-conditioned which helps cooling down after playing Sat pm in 40C+ heat. Also no bunkers (except a practice bunker put in for juniors benefit) as the ground swallows up the sand when it gets dry.
Some older members are a PITA. The greens staff don't mow the fringe to meet the putting surface and it leaves a collar which can be hard to putt if your ball is hard against it.
None to my knowledge.
Best hole imho is the par 5 18th, need to carry water off an elevated tee then cross water for second with a wedge in. It's a real risk/reward hole and I more often make birdie or double it than par. I am not clever enough to attach a Google Earth pic.

3oneday
15th January 2009, 09:46 AM
When I saw you post I thought I wonder if he chose the 18th as his fav ! 8)

I think Mick Girard has done the double water carry there !

schanop
15th January 2009, 09:50 AM
Where are you a member?
Yowani CC (www.yowani.com.au (http://www.yowani.com.au/))

Why did you join there?
I wanted to get back to golf after many years of absence. I like it the best overall for North Canberra courses and it is very close to home. Wallet is not fat enough to join either Royal or Federal.

About six months now.

It's a tough tight course from the back back tip. There are a few really tight fairways, but on the other hands, there are a few that are quite forgiving. Usually it is about half a stoke or more for missing a tee short into the trees. Greens are usually very nice, particularly when they are rolled.

On weekends, it is very slow.

None that I know about.

No. 2 par 4 from the back tip is pretty fun. Tee shot is fairly demanding for both placement and distance. The spot for a good approach is not that large.

Dazza
15th January 2009, 10:14 AM
Where are you a member? Bowen

Why did you join there? Close to home. Suits quite well.

How long have you been there? 2 weeks, playing socially for 12 months

What do you like about it? Close to home, beach-side location.

What do you dislike about it? The clubhouse is run-down & the old members treat new up & comers like shit. They wonder why they can't pull new members....

Does it have any strange claims to fame/interesting facts? Corinne Dibnah had something to do with the club (Played as a junior? Will have to confirm) & Karrie Webb has her name on a few honour boards from her junior days at Ayr (100klm up the road)

What's the best hole (and include a pic if you can)? 8. Long winding par 5- Dogleg left, then straightens up to the green.
You tee off right in front of a dam to a fairway you can't really see, the drive is blind over trees. Second shot has you thinking about going for the green, but one can't forget about the creek 50mt from the pin. Wind can play a major factor on this hole.

markTHEblake
15th January 2009, 10:25 AM
Dazza, and extra bit for you, is some old fart called Don Fardon Snr (over 50) from Bown smashed it in the Qld Amatuer circa 1982, setting course records and competition records and winning by streets.

WBennett
15th January 2009, 10:49 AM
Where are you a member?
Gungahlin Lakes

Why did you join there?
Walking distance from home - and a more enjoyable course than Gold Creek

About six years

Walking distance to home - helpful after a quick 3 or 4 schooners post round. Variation off the tee - if you drive more than 200m, you can't hit driver off every hole. Good short holes, and its in a rare situation where the club is investing $500k to $1m per annum on course improvements.

Tough to get an early tee time, a couple of holes on the way out can be long slogs. The poorly compromised holes on 10 and 17 that were changed for safety reasons.

The management are optimistically talking about hosting the 2012 Australian Womens Open.

16. 500m from the tips and IMHO, close on the best par 5 in Canberra for risk/reward. Water the whole way down the left, and wind blows left to right. Get a big drive away and hit the downslope, you have 230m in including a 200m water carry. Lay up and a 110m pitch is the bail out option. 4 is a good score, but you see plenty of wipes.

Other good holes - 2 and 14 - both short par 4's requiring accurate tee and approach shots.

senecio
15th January 2009, 11:02 AM
Where are you a member? Carbrook GC

Why did you join there? Father was a member and I played a lot of social/junior golf there.

How long have you been there? 8 years as a member, 12 years socially.

What do you like about it? Close to home. Challenging course in generally well kept condition. Owned by the members.

What do you dislike about it? The bunkers are crap, the greens are grainy. The clubhouse and ammeneties need to be improved.

Does it have any strange claims to fame/interesting facts? Shark Lake!! The course was in a constant state of change for 20 years as the river sand mining operation consumed land and built new holes. One of the large lakes left from mining that borders holes 12-15 is home to a population of bull sharks.

15. "The shark hole". A short risk/reward par 4 that can be anywhere between 6-iron and driver off the tee depending on wind and the level of risk you want to take. The reward for taking on the hazards is a short pitch to a long narrow green that plays 4 clubs longer front to back. Index 7, so a good chance for a 4 pointer (or a wipe).

Bruce Dickinson
15th January 2009, 01:43 PM
Where are you a member?
Joondalup Country Club

Why did you join there?
Dad was first manager there

Joined in 1985 and left in 1991, rejoined in 2007

Three great nines, great conditioning, great facilities and good members

Need to mow down ridiculous fescue roughs which in some spots are only 5-10 metres from the fairway edge and unplayable. Look at original course photos and remove trees that have grown over twenty years in areas which affect the strategy of design

David Graham didn't like it because it was designed by a 12 handicapper

Interesting question, couple of holes that get the most exposure are not necessarily the best (Quarry 3 and 4). Best is probably Dune six, tough par 4 that can be played a number of ways

Grunt
15th January 2009, 02:08 PM
Where are you a member?
Bathurst GC

Why did you join there?
Needed a Country membership due to my shift work and the fact that weekend comps. played were minimal. The Reciprocal memberships are great.

Joined in Early 2006

Great country golf course, Reciprocal Clubs

Distance from home.

The 11th hole, you can hit the ball over Bathurst gaol if you want to cut the dogleg.

Hole 5 190m par3

sms316
15th January 2009, 02:19 PM
Grunt,

Next time you actually make an appearance at Bathurst, take your driver and half a dozen balls, and jump the fence just before the entry into Conrod Straight.Hitting balls straight out from Mt Panorama is pretty bloody funny to watch.

sms

chappy1970
15th January 2009, 02:33 PM
Where are you a member?
Southern Golf Club

Why did you join there?
Dad was a member and we used to play together a bit.

I think it's been around 13 years

New club house is great, course is usually in great condition all year round

The f%^king bunkers never, ever, ever, ever, ever have enough sand in them!

Not that I know of, but my wife's grand father was a founding member

For me personally, it's probably the 5th. You can get yourself in a whole lot of P00 if you stray a little off the tee. But will reward you for a well positioned drive
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo340/chappy1970-ozgolf/5th-new.jpg
(http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo340/chappy1970-ozgolf/5th-new.jpg)

burger
15th January 2009, 02:57 PM
Where are you a member?
Riverside Oaks

Why did you join there?
Played there on a Bucks day and REALLY enjoyed the layout. Also you can have an AGU hcp for $115 and cost of 3 rounds.

A few years now . . .

Nice clubhouse and outlook for a post round beer and lots or nature: kangaroos, goanna's, birds etc.

Condition has fallen away very badly over the last year or so, esp the greens.

Used to hold the Aust PGA years ago and will do so this year as well.
Mark Byslma drove the green on the 12th (a 456m par 5) mind you he took the short cut but it's still about a 350m drive.

I like the 5th, downhill dogleg left to a green with bunker left and Right and dropping away past the right side green.
http://www.riversideoaks.com.au/index.php?page=the_course_hole_05.php

stu.

swanny
15th January 2009, 05:57 PM
Where are you a member?

Sanctuary Lakes Vic

Why did you join there?

I thought Membership was value for money and there was no joining fee.

18 months

It plays different every time you play it because of the weather conditions and the fairways they are always in top condition.

This time of year the course hosts the VIC PGA so the rough is thicker and the greens are starting to get quicker making the course even harder. The bunkers are never groomed.

Described as being built on the worst piece of dirt ever seen it used to be a salt marsh where they mined Salt.

What's the best hole (and include a pic if you can)? Everyone talks about the 16th, 17th and 18th as a really tough finishing stretch and nominates the 18th. However I am a fan of the 4th a Par 5 where you tee off over the water and have water down the left hand side big hitters can take on the water and have a shorter shot to the green. In the middle of the fairway there is a fairway bunker that balls just seem to find i thinks its about 250 - 260 meters from the Black. On the right hand side the rough is thick and you will be laying up once you get in there. The second shot if laying up must be precise as you have bunkers left and right. The Green slopes back to front and has 6 zones where the pin can be placed and each zone has some spots you don't want to be putting from. There are bunkers guarding the front rhs and if you miss left or long you must play a good shot to get up and down as the shot will be blind. Pics to Follow

Courty
15th January 2009, 06:47 PM
Where are you a member?
Cairns Golf Club (www.cairnsgolfclub.com.au)

Cairns Golf Club is a 6,159 metre par 72 for men and 5,582 metre par 73 for women.
The course layout was re-designed by Ross Watson and is a testing golf course for players and yet at the same time very enjoyable with natures' best fauna & flora.
Visitors will enjoy the relaxed atmosphere that typifies the tropical environment that Cairns has to offer. The lush fairways, demanding greens & varieties of waterways that make up our course combine to create a memorable golfing experience - whether you are a visitor from Australia or oversees.

Why did you join there?
My dad has been (and still is) a member there for 30+ years. I was a junior member there, and it is the only decent member course within decent range IMO.

As above, I was a junior member there in the late 80's/ early 90's (can't remember exact years), and then re-joined about 7 years ago after re-discovering golf.

It's less than 10 mins from my house, and on the route home from work 8). It also has a shiny new day/ night driving range. I feel a sense of belonging there as I've had an association with the club since I was a kid. There is no snobbishness stereotypically associated with golf clubs. The course can play very different depending on the tee/ pin placements, and the wind strength/ direction.

The conditioning can often leave a bit to be desired, but I guess I need to accept that it will always be that way due to the climate. Some of the committee have formed their own little clique who seem to have a different set if rules to the rest of us.

Nothing comes to mind immediately. In the 2 years the Von Nida Tour played at Cairns GC, the course record was broken 3 times. Peter Senior shot a 63 one day, which was bettered the following day with a 62 by the eventual winner, Kim Felton. The following year, Tony Christie (a Kiwi who is the spitting image of Dave Hughes) shot a 61 on his way to winning the whole shebang.

This is a subjective question, and one I don't really have an answer to. However, the 'signature' hole would have to be the par 3 11th. It's a 151m hole (a slightly longer tee box is reserved for Monthly Medal days only) of which 145m would be water carry. It can be anything from a smooth 8-iron to a full-blooded 5 iron depending on tee/ flag/ wind strength/ wind direction. The green is very wide, but very shallow. Over the green falls away sharply at the back which makes for a terrifying flop shot back towards the water. The only 'safe' miss is short of the bunker on the right side. If you are lucky enough to cross the peninsula before dropping into the drink, the next shot is a tricky 60-80m pitch from a stance below the ball. The worst score I've witnessed on this hole was a 13, but I've heard of worse.

1. Image from the website showing the green (post-renovation) and the Pandanus backdrop.
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4981/cairns11theu6.png

2. Google Maps view (taken during the renovation).
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2552/cairns11thbem5.png

Bruce
15th January 2009, 07:48 PM
Where are you a member?

Mirboo North Golf Club

Why did you join there?

It's cheap and the in-laws live just around the corner. I can look like a good guy by going to visit the in-laws for the weekend. We go up Friday night and I dissappear to play the comp Saturday morning and get home about 5PM with a few beers in me. Ready to deal with the worst that extended family has to offer.

I think it's about 3 years now.

Very easy going. No time sheets, just find 3 other blokes who are ready to hit off and get going. There are times you can go out and be the only human being within earshot - that's some real serenity. For a course with 3 bunkers (2 of which are actually in play) the stretch of 7,8,9 is pretty tough and a good test.

I think the greens are converted sand-scrapes. They are essentially 20m diameter saucers. Winter is always preferred lies as it gets a bit boggy.

It hosts the VGA Junior Camp every year.

The 16th is the prettiest but the 8th is the toughest. The fairway drops down a hill at about 220m and the fairway gets narrower the further you go. Then it's up about 30 feet from the bottom of the hill to green which is cut into the side of the hill and one of the slickest on the course.

Dennis
15th January 2009, 08:25 PM
Where are you a member?
Southern

Why did you join there?
It was the only club that would let me in....

Actually, I live over the road, so it made sense

This is my 3rd year

I enjoy the fact that when i bring guests to play it for the first time, they are really impressed with the quality of course, conditioning and clubhouse. I also like the fact that I can walk home after a Sat session after a round.

No snobbery at all

To many ladies and old people slowing down play. I now know what it must be like to play golf in QLD.

Once talked about as the best maintained course in the sandbelt, now it it has is Bob Shearer as a long time member to hang its hat on.

I think it's the 13th. Others will argue differently, but here is my reasoning:

1) Its a long par 4 (over 400m from the tombstones) that requires an accurate and long drive over a big hill to have any chance of reaching the green in 2
2) The approach is tough as the green is above your feet. This means that judging the depth of pin placement is difficult
3) Miss the green left and you have to play out of one of Melbourne's deepest bunkers (probably a 2.2m high lip at least)
4) I make par here least than on any other hole (I play off 12)

http://www.southerngolfclub.com.au/members/golf/coursetour.mhtml

silly_bugger1
16th January 2009, 09:31 AM
Where are you a member?
Gympie Pines GC
Why did you join there?
Moved here and it's the only course in town
A bit over a year now
You can shoot a gun off in it during the week so it is great for practice and you can play whenever you want. Mum likes it because it's cheap. Most members are nice and most of all the course is always in good condition.
Some members are PITA. Management problems. Construction of villas going on over the course so not that appealing.
Ian Baker-Finch did part of his traineeship there
Hole 4. Short par 4, a good drive makes for a easy birdie oppourtunity but water on left and garden + trees on right can make your stroke quickly add up.

Johnny Canuck
16th January 2009, 11:28 AM
Where are you a member?
The Links Kennedy Bay -
(http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/www.kennedybay.com.au)
Average website, but some nice pics.

Why did you join there?
The course is awesome and I live 3 minutes away.

Since the day after I arrived in the country. 4.5 years ago

It is a real challenge, especially with the wind. It never plays the same twice. Being a member here has made me a much better golfer.

I use every club in the bag over the course of a round.

Still waiting for a permanent clubhouse to be built, but that doesn't really bother me too much. The set up we have now has cold beer and a pro shop. That's all I really need.

The fact the course "closes" and we are wanted off the course by 7:15pm, even though there is another hour of daylight. Hopefully this changes as the membership grows.

It has probably gone bankrupt more often than any other course in the country. Things are different now as prices are dropped and we are now getting 120+ green fee players on each day of the weekend. Strong financial backing from Mirvac, as long as they don't go bankrupt!

Tough call, many great holes. Every golf publication that writes about the place chooses different holes to write about.

My personal favorites are:

7 - "Temptation" - A driveable par 4 with no wind. Death surrounds shots that miss left, right or long. Can play driver 5 iron with wind. Elevated double green that pretty much requires putting up the slope if you are in front or over the back. It's always fun to watch new members (Adlo) putt it up the hill, only to have it roll back down. This was the scene of his infamous zero putt, where he used his putter three times. Newer members also love playing tennis with the green chipping it back and forth.

9 - "Coate Hanger" - 90 degree dogleg left 400m par four. Most of the time you have to hit more club on your approach than you did off the tee. Sheltered tee shot with the corner guarded by 5 bunkers. Second is often into the wind. #1 handicap hole.

12- "Finchy's Folly" - great short 4 with options off the tee to a long and narrow green. Home of the world's smallest bunker. Last week our entire 4ball had less than 100m into the green and nobody hit it in reg.

15-"Judgement" - Great par four with a "stadium" green. Easy hole with no wind. An absolute beast into it. Miss left or right above the top of the stadium and consider your ball lost. Miss it a bit either side and you get a nice roll on to the green.

16- "Wee Tap" - I love short par 3's when they are done right. This is one of them. I have hit everything from lob wedge to 3 iron off the tee on this 138m gem. The green is about 6 metres wide in the middle. Somedays you don't have a club in the bag to hit this green. Land short, you run down 20m into a gully, often with a forced carry over a very deep pot bunker. Long is guarded by two bunkers, which leave you with a very intimidating bunker shot back towards the gully. Shortest par 3 on the course and probably the green I hit the least often. There have been numerous comps where no closest to the pin gets awarded becasue the entire field misses the green.

Bruce Dickinson
16th January 2009, 11:54 AM
Johhny
Would 9 be a better hole if they filled in at least a couple of those bunkers on the left? That would then entice a driver from the tee as a risk reward option.

LarryLong
16th January 2009, 12:09 PM
Where are you a member?
Bathurst GC

Why did you join there?
Needed a Country membership due to my shift work and the fact that weekend comps. played were minimal. The Reciprocal memberships are great.
I wonder if there's a similar situation to be had in Victoria? With no club membership and a baby on the way, I'm struggling to seal the deal on a full membership in my neck of the woods given the amount of golf I'm likely to be playing this year.

Anybody know a good country track with a good deal?

Chris32
16th January 2009, 12:56 PM
Where are you a member? Tea Tree Gully Golf Club www.ttggolfclub.com.au

Why did you join there? Closest course to were I live, only decent course my side of town. Had friends play there as juniors.

How long have you been there? Since May 2006

What do you like about it? Well maintained, some interesting holes. Close to home (5 mins drive). Imporved my golf allot, playing members are generally good to have a round with. Good club house facilities.

What do you dislike about it? Some holes punish a good shot, with sloping fairways into trees/rough. Does get allot of traffic and can be very hard to get a round on some weekends. Quite tight off the tee on some holes, needs some trees removed to open it up a bit.

Does it have any strange claims to fame/interesting facts? None really, well none that I know about!

What's the best hole? 15, Par 4 with approach shot over the corner of a dam. Usually into the wind

chappy1970
16th January 2009, 01:29 PM
Not sure where in Vic you are Larry, but Long Island has some good deals going at the moment.

There is no joining fee at the moment and the annual subs aren't frightening.

At Long Island for Golflink members the following days are free to play.

Monday January 19th - all day
Monday February 2nd - all Day
Friday February 13th -10am - 4pm

Chappy

FlyBallDavo
16th January 2009, 02:14 PM
Where are you a member?
Carnarvon Golf Club.

Why did you join there?
Took up golf 3 years ago and knew Trung who convinced me to join there.

3 years.

Great clubhouse, good members and a very enjoyable layout- dont think I could ever get bored of it. A good value for money course that is challenging enough meaning you should be able to play to your handicap anywhere.

They seem to be making the course easier lately by taking out greenside bunkers.

Dont know.

The 18th- 406m Par 4. Its definitely been my bogey hole over the last few years and has cost me a few comp wins. Your fate lies in the tee shot which suits a draw. Water is 275m down the hill on the right and there is a tree strategically placed in the middle of the fairway about 100m from the green. The green also slopes away on both sides.

Link shows 18th green and clubhouse:
http://www.carnarvongolf.com.au/

LarryLong
16th January 2009, 02:24 PM
Not sure where in Vic you are Larry, but Long Island has some good deals going at the moment.

There is no joining fee at the moment and the annual subs aren't frightening.
Thanks Chappy. Wrong Peninisula for me, but I'm going to show my wife your post to prove to her that the memberships in my area really aren't that expensive. 8)

Anyway, I'll stop my thread-jacking, this is a good thread and I'm enjoying reading it. :)

chappy1970
16th January 2009, 02:28 PM
No problem, I'd try and make some of those free days if you can. If nothing else you get to have a free game on a good course

shazza_rs
16th January 2009, 02:55 PM
Where are you a member?
Toowoomba (Middle Ridge) - Country : Nudgee - Full

Why did you join there?
T: Took up golf about 5 years ago and didn't know if i was going to continue with it. Country membership in the old home town looked like a good option and has been.

N: Joined up just over 12 months ago. Wanted to have somewhere local to play in a comp on saturday's.

T: 5 years. I think this is the 6th year.
N: Just over 12 months.

T: Having a country membership gives us an excuse to go visit the folks. Also gives us a reprieve from them too! ;) Absolutely love the greens, bent green heaven.
N: Has two separate courses (for now) and the ladies have a strong comp field on a saturday.

Lady Members at both clubs are really great. Doesn't matter how long it has been between rounds but they always have a chat. Most of them remember the other half too!

T: Lack of options for me (chick) to play on a saturday. We have allocated slots (about 5) teeing off at 7ish off the 10th tee.
N: About to be 'redesigned'. Potential loss of one course. Men and Ladies play saturday comp on different courses. You do the maths.... whats the likelihood of the ladies being guaranteed 60 spots in the comp on a saturday??? :)

Dont know for either.

T: 16th - 98m par 3 over water. Either birdie or triple it. Love it!
N: (south) - 9th - short dog leg right. One of the easiest holes on the course, but I think i've managed to rack up the most on this one.
N: (north) - not sure - no real standouts for me.

beanbag
16th January 2009, 03:07 PM
Where are you a member?
New Brighton Golf Club www.newbrightongolf.com.au (http://www.newbrightongolf.com.au)

Why did you join there?
Had mates that were members there, challanging layout

3 years.

You can play the course differently every week , a varity of different holes , double dogleg par 5's , short par 4's, long par 4's nice track really

nothing till recently found out that the club has lost money for a couple of years now, so behind the scenes needs improving i think but the course and the golf is great

dont know really

the best in my opinion would be the 17th from the plates which is only used on new brighton cup day which baffles me should be every week if not on medal days but 190 water carry sloping green back to front great hole and hard to make par if in the wrong area of the green to the flag, and recently afetr my hole in 1 the 11th
http://www.newbrightongolf.com.au/photo-gallery/

razaar
16th January 2009, 03:07 PM
Shazza
Is the ladies field on Saturday open to all female members?

Moe Norman
16th January 2009, 03:13 PM
The 15th on the North is the best hole by a mile I reckon.

housey
16th January 2009, 06:07 PM
Where are you a member?
Kogarah Golf Club
Why did you join there?
Was at Moore Park, wanted to play pennants, couldn't get in MP side due to imported team.
4 years
The members, great guys
Slow rounds
On Anzac day 22 years ago a guy went 5 4 3 2 1 on the first five holes. Pars are 5 5 4 3 3
I like 18. Strong finish. Sorry no pic.

shazza_rs
16th January 2009, 06:20 PM
Shazza
Is the ladies field on Saturday open to all female members?

Do you mean at Toowoomba or Nudgee?

Toowoomba - there is 4-5 slots on the timesheet for the lady members (yes that is open to ALL lady members). First in best dressed.

Nudgee - Tee times from 9 ish to 11 ish on the south course. Field size is usually around 60. Open to ALL lady members.

razaar
16th January 2009, 07:33 PM
Do you mean at Toowoomba or Nudgee?

Toowoomba - there is 4-5 slots on the timesheet for the lady members (yes that is open to ALL lady members). First in best dressed.

Nudgee - Tee times from 9 ish to 11 ish on the south course. Field size is usually around 60. Open to ALL lady members.
Interesting...only ladies who are full members (7 day members) can play at Keperra on a Saturday. There is usually six time slots catering for 24 players in their field.

shazza_rs
16th January 2009, 08:34 PM
sorry.... miscommunication......

only 7 day lady members (ordinary/full) can play on saturday. I don't ever remember that there are full and 5 day memberships. ;)

Dotty
16th January 2009, 09:16 PM
Where are you a member?
Pennant Hills GC, in north-west Sydney

Why did you join there?
Brother played pennants, junior champion, etc. and they probably thought I could do the same. (They are still waiting.:roll:)

24 years

Close to home, great members, get on top of problems (re. M2 taking part of course and recently built filtration plant, to stop reliance on town water.)

Nothing to dislike. (It's a club of 1,500+ members and associates, ranging from 12 years to 90 years, so can't expect everything to be set-up to an individual member.) Could do with a practice area longer than 30m.

Still allows metal spikes.
Tony Gresham's home course, and he has won 25-30 club champs. (He had a long streak broken in the mid-70's, only because he had to play Eisenhower Cup for Australia, and couldn't make one of the qualifying rounds for the matchplay.)

No idea really. But this made it in a SMH 'Best Sydney 18' about 20 years ago ...
18th (167m) through a chute of trees, over a gully (Devlin's Creek) and up a slope to a green (in front of the clubhouse), bunkered left and right.
fyi. Photo is taken just behind red tees. Blue tees are another 30-40m back.

dc68
16th January 2009, 10:36 PM
Where are you a member?

Pacific Golf Club (BNE)

Why did you join there?

My Dad and brother were members there.And Just for our resident wanker my Dad paid my noms and the 1st year of my membership.

21 years

Great bunch of fellas can always find someone for a beer (no Hoegarden)
or a Jimmy.

The general condition can sometimes leave a bit to be desired.

Has hosted the "Gary Player Classic" for many years with winners from Greg Norman through to Jason Day.

Gee thats a tough one as I like them all but the 11th would be up there....A 453m par 5 that is a super "risk reward" hole. The shortest club I have had for my 2nd shot is a wedge but have also racked up a few mooses in my time.

dwayne
16th January 2009, 11:18 PM
I thought most clubs required you to be a full member to play on a Saturday.

Scottt
17th January 2009, 02:14 AM
A moose is a 10, right?

razaar
17th January 2009, 07:31 AM
IMO Pacific is the hardest of the older courses to play in Brizzey. In the 1970s they would top dress the fairways with decompossed chicken poop. Feathers everywhere and stink!!!!

Johnny Canuck
17th January 2009, 08:52 AM
Johhny
Would 9 be a better hole if they filled in at least a couple of those bunkers on the left? That would then entice a driver from the tee as a risk reward option.

Off the blue or black tees it wouldn't make too much of a difference due to the angle that would be needed to get around the corner. You would have to hit a very lucky shot with some right to left to take advantage.

Off the whites, it would make a bigger difference, due to the smaller angle of the dogleg with the tees being further ahead and right.

I love the hole the way it is and wouldn't change it, but I can see the arguement to fill in one or two. I hit a perfect tee shot last week, got a bad bounce and ended standing in the bunker to play my second.

beanbag
17th January 2009, 11:37 AM
On Anzac day 22 years ago a guy went 5 4 3 2 1 on the first five holes. Pars are 5 5 4 3 3
this guy also plays right handed while having his hands set for a left hander and plays of 2

markTHEblake
17th January 2009, 12:02 PM
Where are you a member?
Gympie Pines GC

There is a legend(definitely not a fact) at Gympie that someone hooked their teeshot on the 1st (now 10th i think) a 480m or so par5, onto the Bruce highway and it got caught under a car which took it down the highway a fair way and ricocheted it out back onto the course right next to the green.

and this club for some reason tended to breed the biggest hitters in the district, their pennant team was like 7 Goliaths. The Thomas bros immediately spring to mind. I can remember seeing one of their long drives almost reach the bottom of the hill.

Hole 4. Short par 4, a good drive makes for a easy birdie opportunity but water on left and garden + trees on right can make your stroke quickly add up.Mate, you got my stumped with that one, as it took my a long time to remember this hole, it seems to me to be the most rather un-memorable hole in that 9, obviously things have changed in the 25 years since i last played. (I know about changes to the other holes).

I would have picked what is now the 3rd (par3) followed by the 11th (par 4). Back in the ol' days these were the two greens that had been modernised (and Tiff Dwarf or bermuda) and as such presented a challenge that we were not really accustomed too in that era.

markTHEblake
17th January 2009, 01:11 PM
Where are you a member?
Helensvale Golf Club (http://www.helensvalegolf.com.au) on the northern end of the Gold Coast (close to Movieworld) Googlemaps (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=helensvale&sll=-28.052591,152.95166&sspn=6.212986,9.887695&ie=UTF8&ll=-27.906234,153.332437&spn=0.006077,0.009656&t=k&z=17)

Why did you join there?
I played at Emerald Lakes for 10 years, but members there are just "bulk green fee players". The price went up by 10% again, and that was it, I decided I wanted to join a club where members owned the club, and I could personally make a difference (run for committee etc). Helensvale was the only club that could offer that without a $2k nomination fee.

7 months.

Like everywhere else, the members are a great bunch of blokes (cos most people are), same clowns different faces. It also has a lot of potential for improvement on and off the course, and over time I would like to be a part of that. The course itself whilst short is considerably challenging, and there are very few holes that one would consider offers 'relief' due to well placed hazards, trees and undulations. The ability to shape the ball both ways is also desirable, lots of one dimensional golfers struggle with some holes, particularly Left to Righters

Many other golfers from the district insult the club and the quality of the course, and thats disappointing but I guess they cant help their pig headed narrow mindedness. Helensvale doesn't pretend to be anything that its not, so why not appreciate it for what it is, and it is a lot harder than it looks !

There is nothing about the club I dislike, I knew what its weaknesses were before I joined.

In the clubs early days Baker-Finch and some mates would fly in by Helicopter to play golf there. The Snobs may like to note that IBF didn't fly his helicopter to your course.

Original Layout designed by Fred Bolton (not including 1st/2nd)

Most people pick the first (http://www.helensvalegolf.com.au/course%20layout/first.html) as the most memorable for obvious reasons, but the 9th and 18th present the greatest challenges.

However the 18th, at 380m always played into the prevailing head/cross wind that steers your ball towards the water is clearly the most challenging. A very penal water hazard is hard up short and also around the green, any slightly weak shot is going to finish wet. The green actually looks like it was originally designed to be approached from 90 degrees off to the left, club selection is critical here, half a club off, and you are in trouble.

I am very hesitant to take on the green with 6i or less, a fade left of the green will usually sneak onto the fringe and thats good enough for the #1 index hole for me. I have never gone for the right pin, even with a sand wedge !

Those who 'lay-up' risk flirting with the water, so tend to end up too long, end up with a tricky chip from a poor lie over a bunker running down towards the water.

http://www.helensvalegolf.com.au/course%20layout/hole18.jpg

adlo
17th January 2009, 05:32 PM
Where are you a member? The Links Kennedy Bay

Why did you join there? Johnny Canuck wouldn't shut up about it :mrgreen: I had been playing in the WAGL league for 2 years and decided for the same money I could join a decent track. Kennedy Bay reopened and the special was amazing. Couldn't pass it up.

How long have you been there? November, 2008.

What do you like about it? It is the best designed course I have ever played. Excellent mix of holes, great set of par 3's. True greens and the course really rewards good shot making and smart golf.

What do you dislike about it? The index is crap. 2 of the harder holes on the back 9 rate too high. When the wind is up (ie anytime after 11am!), they can be the hardest on the entire course.

Does it have any strange claims to fame/interesting facts? As per Johnny Canucks post, it has gone bankrupt a few times.

What's the best hole (and include a pic if you can)? For me, I would say #12, Finchy's folly and #16 wee tap.

#12 is a great short par 4, deceptive width off the tee, but the plateau in the fairway really changes how you play it. An aggressive shot is generally rewarded, a well positioned lay up is rewarded, a mis hit shot can end up on the fairway but give you a blind shot into a well guarded green.

#16 is a beautiful short par 3 that generally plays much longer into a 2-3 club breeze. A wide but short green, there is trouble all around. A real challenge, but you seem to be able to knock one close every now and then.

http://forums.iseekgolf.com/images/uploaded/ef523b52c867ece48dbcb5d9aad83068.jpghttp://forums.iseekgolf.com/images/uploaded/3d6dd607875a61ee6a8c44826049848f.jpg

adlo
17th January 2009, 05:40 PM
Where are you a member? Bunbury Golf Club (Country member)

Why did you join there? My old man was a member there as he lives in Bunbury. Thought is was a good way to set up an AGU handicap.

How long have you been there? 3 years.

What do you like about it? A real test of the entire golf game. Awesome greens. I am yet to see a player tear it up at Bunbury. However, it is not a penal or long golf course.

What do you dislike about it? Too far from home :lol: Overall, can't say anything bad about the course. Condition is always great, nice members etc etc

Does it have any strange claims to fame/interesting facts? Not that I am aware of.

#14 is a great par 4. Fairly long, but hitting from an elevated tee box to one of the wider fairways this hole looks easier than it plays. A testing approach to a back to front sloping green.
http://images.miclub.com.au/images/bunbury/http/images/course/hole14_tee.jpg

#10 a great short (124m) par 3. Over 30m of elevation playing down to a generous green. Club selection can be interesting as you are overlooking the estuary and a bit of wind can mess with your mind.

http://images.miclub.com.au/images/bunbury/http/images/course/hole10_tee.jpg

Johnny Canuck
17th January 2009, 07:36 PM
What do you like about it? A real test of the entire golf game. Awesome greens. I am yet to see a player tear it up at Bunbury. However, it is not a penal or long golf course.

Give it a couple of weeks.

adlo
17th January 2009, 07:38 PM
:lol:

We'll see. My advice to you, as your caddy, will be plenty of 4 irons off the tee. A few holes open up for driver, but you will have a good chance to tear it up given your length off the tee. So many players fail because the tight driving holes bring them undone.

Greens are a good test, I hope the reverse claw grip is up to the challenge.

Johnny Canuck
17th January 2009, 07:55 PM
The 4 iron off the tee is a very good play. I'll bring it out a lot. Are there parallel fairways to bomb drivers? I can hit the high ball when need be and carry into the next fairway if I really miss.

It's not a reverse claw, it is something that I made up on my own. Most of the time it works alright.

29 putts last week. 26 today. I'd say it is doing ok. Although today's was a lot of narrowly missed greens for easy up and downs. Super confident on everything inside 10 feet, but nervous on those less than a foot and a half. That is stemming from a couple misses with the "Jack Nicklaus" experiment a few weeks back.

adlo
17th January 2009, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I'd say the grip change was all you needed, nothing in the stroke.

There are some parallel fairways, but not many. Bunbury is fairly old so the trees block out some of the parallel fairways. However, the routing is pretty good. Again, like we talked about today, you can forget there are other golfers on the course. I will caddy you around Bunbury, and when you win the prize, claim my share ;)

Johnny Canuck
17th January 2009, 11:31 PM
Sounds like a plan. I'll need your rangefinder on that day for sure!

Looking forward to 27 great holes of golf.

adlo
18th January 2009, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I think I might just start keeping my rangefinder measurements to myself if we are playing skins :)

It has been way too long since I have played Binningup and/or Bunbury. I think the 7th looks good, and want to do it regardless of whether or not others can make it as the next month is a write off with JW Classic and KB Club Champs.

sumo
18th January 2009, 05:04 PM
IMO Pacific is the hardest of the older courses to play in Brizzey. In the 1970s they would top dress the fairways with decompossed chicken poop. Feathers everywhere and stink!!!!

LIved not far from Cumberland [Sydney] in the early 80's when the same thing happened. I remember that you could not hang the washing up on the clothes line for a month as if a big wind got up you would bring the clothes in smelling of chicken shit. :lol:

tg01
18th January 2009, 05:22 PM
Where are you a member?

Federal Golf Club - Canberra

Why did you join there?

It is the best 1-18 layout in Canberra, recent turf and bunker work will only improve the layout.

Not long - still hold my Goldcreek membership but that will go shortly

Presents a number of options off the tee, with some solid green complexes. Only 2 real weak holes, with the remainder being quite solid offering good variance encouraging good shot making.. Great place to have a beer in the arvo and watch a wedding

Need to clear some unnecessary trees (9th and 18th). Could do with a mild refresh on a small number of holes, which was planned but knocked back by members. G69 - did you have much to do with the masterplan?

Slow play

Numerous.

The original design was commissioned by Prime Minister (I think Stanley Bruce but didn't check) with Alex Russell the selected architect due to their Royal Melb connections. However the current layout is not the original Russell design, but the location itself was selected by Russell.

The 7th, 450 metre par 5 dogleg. Tighening drive with a green complex that enocurages careful consideration for the placement of the second shot.

WBennett
18th January 2009, 06:02 PM
TG - welcome back...

What are the two weak holes at FGC?

I would have had 7 as one of the weak ones, so it surprised me you had it at number 1!

Best holes at FGC imho- 2, 3, 9, 12, 13

tg01
18th January 2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks mate.

Weakest holes are 9 (only because of the current mens tee and the stupid tree in the fairway and the green is too tight at the opening to offer a range of shot options for such a long hole), and 18 it is too much of a monster to offer the average punter anything.

7 imo is a smart hole, I take bogey (even double) as many times as I take birdie. think back to when we played it and the score you got, the pin position had much to do with that (along with your rather ordinary putting).

Agree on 3 and 12 both good holes (12 is an easy hole to likes of Andrew's talent), my favourite par 3 though is 16. 13 is also a good subtle hole, I liken it to 2 at Woodlands (although not as good), being close to the green in 2 is not always the best option.

I am bit of a fan of 5, it can be lots of fun.

Scottt
18th January 2009, 07:46 PM
Where are you a member?

Why did you join there?

It is the best 1-18 layout in Canberra, recent turf and bunker work will only improve the layout.

Are you saying there is a combination of 19-27 with either the front or back nine at Royal that is better?

WBennett
18th January 2009, 08:03 PM
I like 9 and 18 as punishing finishing holes, where everyone gets a shot.

9 requires a long draw, then a tough mid to long iron in. A good player can get there in two and make 4 comfortably.

18 is just a stupidly hard hole. You have to hit the two best shots you will hit all day to even hit the green.

7 - yes. Greenside bunker for 2, walk off with a 7. I didn't need to be reminded of that.

razaar
18th January 2009, 09:10 PM
Where are you a member?

Does Federal G C still retain the names given to the 18 holes in 1980?

Federation – to commemorate the establishment of Canberra as National Capital 12/3/1913.
The Pines - Pine tree line the tee.
Action – to commemorate the site of Federal’s first course, now covered by Lake Burley Griffin.
Panorama – a mountain vista from the green.
Tower – Black Mountain tower is a good aiming point.
Scott – James Herd Scott designed the 18-hole course in 1950.
Elbow – a dog-leg to the left.
Casuarina – after the trees that line the hole.
Mugga Rise – a steady rise towards the Mugga Range.
Yarra Glen – in 1941 G.B. Campbell was leasing a rural holding of this name on the course’s western boundary.
Pioneer – the first clubhouse was located close to the green (1948-1953).
Valley – the tee shot across a shallow valley.
Red Hill – play towards Red Hill.
Constitution – the fundamental basis to federation.
Sundowner – plays in late afternoon towards the setting sun.
Needle – tee shot through a narrow gap in trees.
Brindabella – Brindabella mountains are a backdrop to this hole.
Kookaburra – for over 10 years kookaburras were fed near the green.

sms316
19th January 2009, 07:27 AM
Are you saying there is a combination of 19-27 with either the front or back nine at Royal that is better?
He's not saying that at all Scottt. Numbnuts only put that in to attempt a rise out of another Canberra poster.

sms316
19th January 2009, 07:29 AM
Where are you a member?

Presents a number of options off the tee, with some solid green complexes. Only 2 real weak holes, with the remainder being quite solid offering good variance encouraging good shot making.. Great place to have a beer in the arvo and watch a wedding

Best post-round entertainment I have seen in many a year. Who would have thought scratch'n'sniff was an adult sport?

Dotty
19th January 2009, 08:07 AM
7 - yes. Greenside bunker for 2, walk off with a 7. I didn't need to be reminded of that.
Benno, I was being polite and not going to mention this.

Grunt
19th January 2009, 10:11 AM
I will never forget that putting effort, was one was like watching a train wreck. Horrible to watch but you could not look away for the chance of seeing an easier putt miss the hole. ;)

Moe Norman
19th January 2009, 10:22 AM
Where are you a member? Bunbury Golf Club (Country member)

Why did you join there? My old man was a member there as he lives in Bunbury. Thought is was a good way to set up an AGU handicap.

How long have you been there? 3 years.

What do you dislike about it? Too far from home :lol: Overall, can't say anything bad about the course. Condition is always great, nice members etc etc

Does it have any strange claims to fame/interesting facts? Not that I am aware of.

I believe a handy cricketer by the name of Dean Jones once had 2 holes in one on the same day at Sunbury.

Maybe he is just full of shit though!

tg01
19th January 2009, 02:12 PM
Does Federal G C still retain the names given to the 18 holes in 1980?

Federation – to commemorate the establishment of Canberra as National Capital 12/3/1913.
The Pines - Pine tree line the tee.
Action – to commemorate the site of Federal’s first course, now covered by Lake Burley Griffin.
Panorama – a mountain vista from the green.
Tower – Black Mountain tower is a good aiming point.
Scott – James Herd Scott designed the 18-hole course in 1950.
Elbow – a dog-leg to the left.
Casuarina – after the trees that line the hole.
Mugga Rise – a steady rise towards the Mugga Range.
Yarra Glen – in 1941 G.B. Campbell was leasing a rural holding of this name on the course’s western boundary.
Pioneer – the first clubhouse was located close to the green (1948-1953).
Valley – the tee shot across a shallow valley.
Red Hill – play towards Red Hill.
Constitution – the fundamental basis to federation.
Sundowner – plays in late afternoon towards the setting sun.
Needle – tee shot through a narrow gap in trees.
Brindabella – Brindabella mountains are a backdrop to this hole.
Kookaburra – for over 10 years kookaburras were fed near the green.

From memory they all hold these original names, not sure of Needle though, this hole has changed significantly over time, may still hold this name. Will check on the weekend.

tg01
19th January 2009, 02:16 PM
He's not saying that at all Scottt. Numbnuts only put that in to attempt a rise out of another Canberra poster.

Yes to both statements. I was hoping for a few more bites.

I think Royal 10 to 27 is probably the best 18 hole playout in Canberra. I actually don't mind some of the work out the back at RC, some silly bunker placements tranish the new 9 somewhat.

sms316
19th January 2009, 02:34 PM
Yes to both statements. I was hoping for a few more bites.

Thought as much (you've got me on it before).

I think Royal 10 to 27 is probably the best 18 hole playout in Canberra. I actually don't mind some of the work out the back at RC, some silly bunker placements tranish the new 9 somewhat.

Some of those "silly" bunkers make a lot more sense when the wind is blowing in different directions.

Not so Big Easy
20th January 2009, 02:21 PM
Where are you a member?

Ashlar - Blacktown NSW(www.ashlargolfclub.com.au (http://www.ashlargolfclub.com.au))

Why did you join there?

Affordable and no joining fee

2 years

Long enough to be challenging, not too tight so you can use the driver

Like every club, it has its pros and cons, but overall its a pretty good offering

Nationwide Tour player, Won Joon Lee, started his junior golf there.

What's the best hole (and include a pic if you can)

Several that could be disputed, but best hole, not hardest, could be 18th, 197m par 3 with 2-tiered green. Quite a challenging finisher, however the last 3 holes to be fair make it a tough finish.

Captain Nemo
3rd June 2009, 12:06 PM
Where are you a member?
Kogarah Golf Club Sydney

Why did you join there?
Close to home, had a relative there at the time i wanted to join so was easy to get into.

10 Years.

Good variety of holes 6 par 5's, 4's 3's
Free social play out of comp days/hours.

Slow round's after 10.30 on sat's.
Booking in system!

6 par 5's, 4's 3's pretty unique.
Grant Dodd is a former club champion!
What's the best hole (and include a pic if you can)
18, strong finishing hole.