PDA

View Full Version : AndyP vs BrisWesty - 2009 edition

BrisWesty
14th January 2009, 08:52 PM
Likely to happen sometime in late-ish January.

AndyP
15th January 2009, 06:56 AM
Or the start of Feb if one of the wankers pulls out of the Wynnum Cup.

AndyP
15th January 2009, 03:19 PM
I've started a thread in the 1st Tee to potentially have our match at Beerwah on Sat, Jan 24
See here: http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12085

Feel free to re-live our last match in preparation:
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showpost.php?p=116475&postcount=22

Last time you got 3 shots, this time you're getting 2.

AndyP
21st January 2009, 06:04 PM
I can't remember if Beerwah had the matchplay index recorded on the card. If not, 8 and 12 are the holes where you'll be getting shots, Westy.

BrisWesty
21st January 2009, 07:10 PM
Why do I need shots? Just kidding, will take whatever is given!
Yep, appreciate a shot on 8.

AndyP
21st January 2009, 07:35 PM
You probably won't need it. I don't have any good memories of that hole.
12 isn't a bad one though.

BrisWesty
24th January 2009, 05:49 PM
1 – Par 4 - AndyP won the toss and went first. Good drive down the guts, while BrisWesty sliced OOB (just). AP proceeded to drown his second, short of the green. Eventually AP’s double beat BW’s triple. Great start! AP 1 up.

2 – Par 3 - AP 3 putted for bogey, while BW used his patented 1 putt par from “just off the green in regulation”. Back to square.

3 – Par 4 - AP just off the green for 2. BW about 120m out in the left hand trees for 3 without a clear shot. BW goes for a death or glory through the trees and ends up about 8m from the hole. AP takes a couple to get on (not happy) and then 2 putted for double. BW almost pulled out a miracle win but the hole was halved.

4 – Par 4 - Good drives by both but both put approaches over the back right. AP hit a fantastic recovery out of the hazard to a couple of metres. BW knifed his wedge acoss the green, chipped back past the hole and nailed a breaking putt. AP couldn’t sink his first putt and halved with bogeys.

5 – Par 3 - BW hit a rubbish shot into the hazard left of the green. “Quality match”, says AP, who then plays regulation golf for his par. BW chips on from an awkward lie, but could only 2 putt. AP 1 up.

6 – Par 4 - Good drives. AP put his 2nd to about 4m short of the hole, while BW ended up on the fringe. BW gave the birdie a good shake but tapped in for par. AP rammed the birdie into the hole to go 2 up.

7 – Par 5 - Both on in regulation and 2 putt for par. Still AP by 2.

8 – Par 5 - BW gets a shot. AP on in 3, BW on the fringe. AP leaves the birdie putt short but sinks the par. BW just runs past the hole for birdie but MISSED the come back putt from a metre . “Oh the humanity.” Damo invokes Choppa’s name. Missed opportunity. AP 2 up.

9 – Par 4 - AP goes right off the tee and looks like he’s in the fairway trap. BW tries to lay up, but hits it left into a tree and then beyond the left bunker. Turns out AP’s drive was just short of the right bunker. He ends up left of the green and chips to about 4m for 3. BW hits the green in reg but about 20m behind the hole. Damoo played chicken with the putt by not pulling the pin out and BW ended about 5m behind the hole. BW sunk the putt coming back for par, and AP’s didn’t quite break properly. Halfway round and AP’s up by 2. (Edit - oops, AP lost that hole and is only 1 up.)

More to come - but bubby isn't happy!

damoocow
24th January 2009, 10:41 PM
Nice first half wrap up Westy,
Regarding hole #8 - Choppa's name was meant to mean Choppers - a reference to you and Andy seeming to do all you could to throw holes away - you both let some chances through there
Regarding hole #9 - Didn't we all agree to blame AndyP for the flag incident ?

Jarro
25th January 2009, 05:40 AM
It was a thrilling match ... so much drama and tension in the air :shock:

Some of the worst sledging i've ever heard on a golf course too .....

BrisWesty
25th January 2009, 06:30 AM
10 – Par 4 - Not a fan of this hole (architecturally). AP & BW both left of the fairway. BW on in regulation above the hole. AP on the fringe. AP gets up and down for par. BW’s birdie putt slid past and the come back putt didn’t make it up the hill. AP back to 2 up.

11 – Par 5 - Both AP and BW behind the green for 3. BW up and down for par. AP didn’t make allowance for the new green being a little more soft and grainy and just missed his par putt. BW claws back to 1 down.

12 – Par 4 - A shot for BW, but it was of no use, because he smacked it OOB. AP went straight down the middle, ignoring advice from others to use wedge off the tee. In the end, AP needed 3 putts from a metre to halve the hole, but only needed one for his par. BW had a triple. AP – 2 up with 6 to play.

13 – Par 4 - AP lays up but goes left, BW goes off with driver to not far short of the green (I love this driver when I don’t hit it out of bounds). Both on in regulation, and both 2 putt for par.

14 – Par 4 - Good drive for AP that opens up the dogleg. BW tries to lay up but hits OOB (this time with a 3 wood – curse these internal OOBs). The provisional goes further OOB than the first drive. BW concedes hole, which was pretty unnecessary anyway given AP parred it. AP 3 up with 5 to play. AndyP has played the last 10 holes in 1 over!

15 – Par 5 - AP puts his drive behind a tree on the right and can only chip sideways. BW slams one down the guts. AP almost drowned his ball in the pond short right of the green. BW over the back of the green again. Westy’s 2 putt bogey beats Andy’s triple. AP 2 up.

16 – Par 3 - Both AP and BW are on the green in 1. AP lags his putt to the hole and taps in for par. BW gets his putt on line but just misses to the low side, but gets his par. Dormie 2 Note - Jarro was nearest the pin at 3.49m. Don't know if it held.

17 – Par 4 - BW finally cracks and puts one right. AP is about 120 out. BW on the back fringe in 3. AP leaves his second just short of the green, takes the putter out and takes the conservative option by texas wedging to about a foot. BW almost chips in for par, but has to settle for bogey. AP nails his par, and it’s game over 3 & 1.

18 – Par 3 - BW has a consolation par but it’s all too late.

Well done AP, your play on 5 through 14 was outstanding and set your win up. Stinking hot day. But as Damo said in the other thread, Beerwah is in fantastic condition. Get out there before they core the greens, because they are just about mint at the moment! For $15 ($16 if you pay by card), it’s got to be one of the best value venues in SEQ.

BrisVegas
25th January 2009, 07:14 AM
well played AndyP. I reckon this is gonna be your year.

Eag's
25th January 2009, 07:52 AM
Nice win AP.

AndyP
25th January 2009, 09:37 AM
Those first four holes were woeful. You were poor off the tee, and my short game sucked.

After the sixth, I felt like I was in control of my game, and as a result the match, despite a couple of hiccups.

It was a thrilling match ... so much drama and tension in the air :shock:That's why I really enjoy the OZgolf matchplay. It puts a lot more pressure on what may normally be a standard shot.

Some of the worst sledging i've ever heard on a golf course too .....Yeah, but that was all coming from Damo.....

11 – Par 5 - Both AP and BW behind the green for 3. BW up and down for par. AP didn’t make allowance for the new green being a little more soft and grainy and just missed his par putt. BW claws back to 1 down.I actually 3 putted after being on in regulation. It was a bit disappointing to let you back in after being in good position, but it was tough to change to the new green.

14 – Par 4 - Good drive for AP that opens up the dogleg. BW tries to lay up but hits OOB (this time with a 3 wood – curse these internal OOBs). The provisional goes further OOB than the first drive. BW concedes hole, which was pretty unnecessary anyway given AP parred it. AP 3 up with 5 to play. AndyP has played the last 10 holes in 1 over!
Both jarro and I actually went well through the fairway as we suspected, and had to play punches to keep below the tree in front of us. We both did well to par from there.

16 – Par 3 - .......... Jarro was nearest the pin at 3.49m. Don't know if it held.Unfortunately not according to today's paper.

Well done AP, your play on 5 through 14 was outstanding and set your win up. Thanks Westy. You sprayed a few with the big dog, but you still had a few chances with the putter that you uncharacteristically missed (not that I didn't miss a couple too).
It was a good match and I was really happy with how I played after the nerves and tentativeness of the first four holes were out of the way.

well played AndyP. I reckon this is gonna be your year.....for running. Bring on a marathon. ;)
I don't play enough golf to expect consistency. Maybe I can try to peak for each matchplay round. :)

BrisVegas
26th January 2009, 10:07 AM
....for running. Bring on a marathon. ;)
I don't play enough golf to expect consistency. Maybe I can try to peak for each matchplay round. :)

Very few of us play enough golf to expect consistency. I just have a good feeling about you these days. The running seems to have given you something else to obsess about, which has freed up your golf. In any event, good luck!

BrisWesty
26th January 2009, 12:20 PM
....for running. Bring on a marathon. ;)

Got given one of those golf a day calendar thingys for Christmas.

Today's golf quote. "It has been observed that absolute idiots play the steadiest golf." Sir Walter Simpson

As none of us here at ozgolf are absolute idiots, we therefore have an out. ;-)

AndyP
27th January 2009, 08:31 AM
What are my odds?

Thanks BV. I guess you're right about most of us being inconsistent, I'm just worried about my former strength, the short game, continuing to go downhill.

Although I don't obsess as much about golf, I still made up a course plan for the round. ;)

peter_rs or Eag's next. I heard a rumour that it might yet happen at Wynnum.

Jarro
27th January 2009, 07:56 PM
Although I don't obsess as much about golf, I still made up a course plan for the round. ;)

As we noted when you told Westy exactly how far away that tree was on the left side of the 10th fairway :roll:

AndyP
27th January 2009, 08:56 PM
You have to admit that the tree is practically a hazard. I think it's in a stupid spot, considering the fairway and ideal line. I didn't know the distances to any other trees, if that counts for anything.

BrisWesty
30th January 2009, 12:55 PM
Have to agree with AndyP re that tree.
For me, the wise play on the hole is to deliberately miss the fairway to the left. If you go right of the tree, unless you've hit a long drive, you're likely not to have a shot at the green.

Rusty
30th January 2009, 04:18 PM
and the smart money was on a tie. well done AP, bad luck BW.

that stooopied trees gotta go. when i play there i like to get exactly to that tree. hopefully it's not exactly in front of me for the second though.

Jarro
30th January 2009, 04:38 PM
and the smart money was on a tie. well done AP, bad luck BW.

that stooopied trees gotta go. when i play there i like to get exactly to that tree. hopefully it's not exactly in front of me for the second though.

No way !! You couldn't take that tree away .. the hole would lose all it's character.

It'd be a damn lot easier too ;)

AndyP
2nd December 2009, 09:42 AM
well played AndyP. I reckon this is gonna be your year.Good call.