PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 12th Jan 09

Coffs_Hacker
14th January 2009, 05:14 PM
39 points today at Port Kembla (17/22) Could of been a little better as had a few wrong club selections on a few holes as I hadn't played the course before.

8fir
9gir
31putts

Grunt
14th January 2009, 05:16 PM
nice coffs, I will have to get down there for a hit soon. You like the course? I have played it a few times and like it lots. I think Jimandr was a member there in his junior days.

jimandr
14th January 2009, 07:35 PM
Port Kembla was my golfing home as a lad. A great place to learn the game. I wonder if my photo as captain of the subjunior pennant team in 1974 is still on the wall.

Haven't been back there for 25 years. A bit sad, really. I was hoping Jono would issue an invite, but as he seems to have given golf away, I'll have to wait for another opportunity.

dazzgolf
14th January 2009, 10:30 PM
Had my first round for the year on saturday, not a great start to the year 33pts, 5 fairways, 12 greens.

Been working on a new swing with my mate so hopefully will see some results on the course in the coming weeks.

Hux
15th January 2009, 08:03 PM
36 points at Oxley today. Had 5 wipes and a couple of one pointers. An almost could have been great round ruined by a very ordinary run with the driver.
Only highlight was the 10th with a 52* wedge 30cm from the pin.

Struggled with the greens for most of the round with them being fast and quite clever pin placements.

Something to come out of it, is I think I have a way to get control of my putting. Took 15 holes to work it out but it is something to work on.

Coffs_Hacker
16th January 2009, 06:56 AM
After a nice rnd on wed, I find out I received a DQ. My group (ie 3 local memb from port kembla) told me it was a 2bbb in conjunction with a single stableford and they scored the cards (2 cards for the group), turns out the comp was 2bbb and single vs par. Thats twice now I lost good rnds because of others scoring cards wrong. Anoying.

sms316
16th January 2009, 07:38 AM
Maybe I'm not reading it correctly, but just because you marked stableford instead of par, is not a DQ offense. Not sure about marking 2 scores on one card though (although signing and counter signing could have been the issue).

I would suggest the match committee are being too lazy to convert the scores.

Eag's
17th January 2009, 09:13 AM
Took my first look at the new RQ yesterday with poidda.
A very nice track indeed.

Played pretty good and shot a lazt 79 off the bat....unfortunately that was not enought for the poidda machine and got trounced 4 & 2.
Put poidda down for a 75 off the bat.
Whoever has him in the matchplay at Wynnum is in deep trouble.

Was it in the Comp?? if not it means nothing.
Just thought I would beat Jack to it for once ;)

BrisWesty
17th January 2009, 12:54 PM
First round for a couple of months.

31 points at Caboolture. Died in a ditch over the last 4 holes. Some good stuff with the new driver, but didn't have very good feel round the greens.
Putted dismally. 36 putts with 4 x 3 putts.
1 birdie. 5 greens, 9/13 effective tee shots, 4 fairways.

Better pick up my game before taking on the might of Andy P next week.

mikezone13
17th January 2009, 01:19 PM
Just got back from continuing my good run of form... 42pts today (76 off the stick) including 1 under par on the back (24pts), might be good enough for a win, only time will tell.

Short game worked great (first time in 15 years I think I can say that) and ball striking was solid (definitely not spectacular) and minimised all my mistakes.

Stats
7/14 fairways
10/18 GIR's (and a couple just off)
4/6 U&D's (first time in ages I've been above 30% in this stat)
31 putts (1 x 3 putt)
2 birds
11 pars
4 bogies
1 double (for a wipe)

That now makes my last 4 rounds 40pts, 26pts, 39pts and 42pts so in a good vein of form and have dropped back in to single figures again and what should be an all time handicap low since returning to the game (8.8 or 9.0 once the CCR is calculated).

Eag's
17th January 2009, 01:26 PM
Well done Mike :smt038

AndyP
17th January 2009, 03:39 PM
Better pick up my game before taking on the might of Andy P next week.Pfft, at least you're having a warmup game. I'm going in cold.

85 and 78 off the stick for my last two rounds at Beerwah for what it's worth. I also have a 0-1 matchplay record there.

---------

Mike, 3 out of 4 rounds under handicap is great play

..........or it means you were a burglar.

Fishman Dan
17th January 2009, 03:40 PM
I still haven't had a score in the 30's for a long time.

For the first time since 2/2/08, I've broken my handicap - 43 points! (20/23).

Only 1 x 1 pointer and no wipes. 3 birdies on the back, with a lip-out on the last (it was 3/4 below the level of the hole!). That was my only bad break really - I had tons of luck, including the group in front seeing a player from another group play my ball on the 16th!

I missed a few short range par putts, one of them a tiddler on 16.

If you have the sort of luck I had today, you must cash in on the scoreboard.

Eag's
17th January 2009, 03:47 PM
Nice work Fish :smt023

mikezone13
17th January 2009, 04:27 PM
---------

Mike, 3 out of 4 rounds under handicap is great play

..........or it means you were a burglar.

Should edit it, it's actually 3 out of 5 rounds (forgot about my DNF on medal day).

Ball striking hasn't improved too much, just that I've finally removed the mental block on my short game and can now accelerate through the ball... ask virge, he'll tell you how poor it was and while it's not awesome just yet, I no longer shake when I miss a green.

And well done to the Fish - now start burnign those Shield dvd's :D

adlo
17th January 2009, 04:49 PM
Played Kennedy Bay today in nice conditions. Was very happy with 32 points (CCR should be around 34) after I have been playing SHOCKING golf the last 2 weeks.

This week I also played West Australian for 28 points and yesterday a Pro-Am at The Vines for 28 points. Felt good to have some good ball striking today and score in the 30's.

At the Pro-Am yesterday my pro was the state junior WA coach and was happy to spend some time with us giving some free advice. It messed with my head yesterday but started to make some sense today and I hit a few of the best 3 woods in my life. Was also decent off the tee. 2 tee shots in the crap, all the others were on the fairway or giving me a look at the green.

jimandr
17th January 2009, 05:17 PM
My 38 points today seems a bit insignificant to some of the other hot scoring today. But my course was set up at its most difficult for the Summer Classic, so my score should be well under the CCR. I didn't really hit the ball that well, but didn't hit any real shockers into trouble areas, either.

Fairways = 8 of 14
Greens in reg = 8 of 18
Putts = 33, one birdie, one 3putt
Up&Down = 2 of 6
Sand Saves = 1 of 3

mikezone13
17th January 2009, 05:19 PM
Update - A Grade Comp Winner - mikezone13!! :D ;)

Courty
17th January 2009, 06:00 PM
Nice work, Mike & Fishman.

I played with some of the guys at Cairns today. Started well with 19 pts on the back (2 birds helped that along), but ran out of gas in the stifling humidity to record 15 on the front for 34 pts total. I'm happy that I didn't make any wipes, and I'm also happy that I was able to score well while spraying the driver.

81 gross/ 34pts
6 fairways
9 greens
32 putts

3 birdies
6 pars
6 bogies
3 doubles

Dazza
19th January 2009, 06:36 PM
Went for a hit this arvo with the wife.
I shot a 44, with 17 putts. 5 Bogeys, 2 Doubles, 2 Pars.
Putter was just woeful, nothing would drop! Missed a few par putts within 2 foot.
Off to the practice green for me. Everything else was ok, the gale force winds didn't help! One marvellous sand save, and some great pitching saved me some shots.
Wife shot a 66, with 22 putts. Same again, work on her putting and she'll improve. Judging distance is her biggest obstacle.

CanuckDownUnder
20th January 2009, 08:15 PM
Cypress Lakes from the blues last Wednesday. 91. Mid and short irons were horrendous. Driving was switched on and avg 275m . 27 putts.