PDA

View Full Version : Membership on the Sand Belt

Lefty-Draws-It
13th January 2009, 03:30 PM
Hey guys next year i'm considering moving down to Melbourne for Uni. Keen to become a member of one of the sandbelt clubs and i'm wondering how i'd go about it, i know no one who plays at such clubs so wouldn't have any referees or anything like that. As clubs look for younger members would it be easier for me to become a member of such a course? I'm thinking Kingston Heath, Huntingdale, Royal Melbourne or something like that, a really good private course which i will have my best chance of becomming a member at whilst i'm young.
What are the waiting periods for these clubs?
How would i go about getting a membership without knowing anyone at the club?

Andrew
13th January 2009, 03:58 PM
The 3 you have mentioned would be difficult.

Your best chance would be Peninsula or Woodlands. All 3 courses are better courses than Huntingdale.

Personally, Peninsula is probably the best option.
- I'm pretty sure they are looking for under 30 members at the moment.
- They have 2 excellent courses.
- Great practice facilities.
- It's one of the 8 official Sandbelt clubs which means you often have 'club swap' days with other Sandbelt clubs. It also means you get a Sandbelt card which allows you to play any of the other 7 Sandbelt courses twice a year for only $50 a round.

andigold
13th January 2009, 04:08 PM
One thing to keep in mind about Peninsula is it's in Frankston, so a decent drive from the cbd. Just call the clubs you are interested in and ask the General Manager, for a member under 21 they may very well have different requirements for proposers etc.

Bruce
13th January 2009, 04:59 PM
Which Uni will you be going to and which area were you planning on living. A student in Carlton might find getting to Frankston quite a chore.

Although you could try Royal Park then.

Lefty-Draws-It
13th January 2009, 05:08 PM
Either La Trobe Bundoora or Monash Caulfield or Clayton.

Bundoora first i'd say, most likely live on campus so where would you suggest going with Bundoora as my base?

Toolish
13th January 2009, 05:53 PM
Mate, if Bundoora is your base any sandbelt course is a fair trek. Actually any decent course is a fair trek. I went to uni at RMIT out there, played at Eastern for a couple of years but wouldn't really recommend there.

What are you willing to pay in membership fees, and how much golf will you be playing?

Dotty
13th January 2009, 06:14 PM
Does your current club have any reciprocals in Melbourne?

If yes, then they may have some type of membership swap arrangement.

andigold
13th January 2009, 07:37 PM
If golf's a priority then go to Monash Clayton. You'll be 10 minutes to Commonwealth, Metro, Huntingdale (it's a bit crap though) & Yarra Yarra. Moving further south you'll have Kingston Heath, Vic, RM and Woodlands all within 20. The 2nd tier clubs such as Spring Valley (best of these ones), Southern, Kingswood & Keysborough are also well within reach. Bundoora's a golfing wasteland with the best course within easy(ish) reach probably Kew.

WBennett
13th January 2009, 07:47 PM
'Bundoora's a golfing wasteland with the best course within easy(ish) reach probably Kew'

Or half an hour north is Growling Frog. Is Kew better than the Frog?

andigold
13th January 2009, 07:54 PM
Yeah, forgot about the Frog but it's certainly an option. Kew is better, but would be a lot more expensive and a young Uni student would probably be more comfortable at the Frog. :)

Lefty-Draws-It
13th January 2009, 08:04 PM
Played the frog last week wasn't to bad. Yeah well i'm not definate on Bundoora and Monash would be pretty good, nice sweetener is all the good courses around it. My club currently doesn't have any reciprocal's in Melbourne and if worse came to worse i could just continue memberships on the great Murray River courses at a fraction of the price!