PDA

View Full Version : Swing help needed

Peter
10th January 2009, 01:25 PM
Over the past few months I've noticed that my divots are pointing further and further to the right. Shot shape seems to vary from round to round - from dead straight to a nasty snap hook, with the standard shape being a gentle draw.

Without seeing my swing (I don't have any recent swing vids), does anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing the off-target divot and the hook? I'm guessing it might be pivot-related, but basically have no idea.

3oneday
10th January 2009, 01:45 PM
My guess would be a drop to the inside at the top.

This is a guess from my own experience, I get to the top and rip and sometimes my divots (when I take one) are 30 to 40 yards right of target.

Could be time to get yourself on video to see, before it gets out of control ;)

dan
10th January 2009, 04:32 PM
A severe in-to-out swing would cause the divots going right and hence the draws & hooks as a result. What's causing you to come too far in could be anything.

You're actually fighting something that 100% of slicers would love to get.

Peter
10th January 2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks guys - 2 responses, and neither mention buying new clubs as a solution to my problems. Might try to get down to the range tomorrow with the camera.

Shank free so far in 2009 (touch wood) so I can't complain too much.

3oneday
10th January 2009, 05:55 PM
Do you shank chips yet ? This would mean you're close to my world :lol:

Peter
10th January 2009, 06:39 PM
I've shanked a few in the backyard, don't recall ever doing it on the course. That must take some real talent - how short a chip are we talking?

3oneday
10th January 2009, 06:51 PM
No discrimination really ;)

I say two words prior to most shots the past few weeks... "Lee Trevino". My drop inside is/was so bad my left shoulder would be sore after every round of golf ! because once you get so far on the inside you have nowhere left to go but up (in your follow through I mean)

razaar
10th January 2009, 07:15 PM
Peter
Not sure what your foot action is but here is something to try. Think of your feet, legs and hips working in a circular movement not a lateral movement. The rest of the swing is circular why not the lower body. In the backswing the weight simply moves round and forward on to the ball of the left foot, back slightly on to the right heel, but with the right knee retaining its address position ,strong and flexed. In the downswing push the weight back towards the left heel, left knee and left hip pulling backwards and the left leg then twisting to bring the hips round on target. There should be no lateral movement (in your case) to shift weight. Worth a try.