PDA

View Full Version : Aust vs NZ One-day series

Fishman Dan
5th December 2004, 09:50 PM
I think this whole 2-test and 3 x One-day games is a joke, however...

Kaspa is a passenger - and i thought this before they skinned him for 22 off an over - NZ now need 10 of 12 balls and should win this in a canter.

You can sledge your Martyn's, Symonds and Lee's, but this bloke has got no place in the team.

I wonder who will miss out with the return of McGrath :roll:

Onewood
5th December 2004, 10:13 PM
Why they persist with QLDers has me beat :roll: bookmakers joy :D

Kaspa 22 off one over
Symons "0"
Hayden 13

Good effort Queenslanders :lol: :lol:

Fishman Dan
5th December 2004, 10:20 PM
Chuck in Watson and Brad Hogg and you've got a selection committee bordering on match-fixing. What a truly useless team out there today, and lead by Captain Clueless, no wonder we got rolled.

terryand
5th December 2004, 10:48 PM
Why they persist with QLDers has me beat :roll: bookmakers joy :D

Kaspa 22 off one over
Symons "0"
Hayden 13

Good effort Queenslanders :lol: :lol:

Onewood,thought you could use this to see why they persist with Qlder's, even our second stringers are to good for the rest of the country :oops: 8)

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/AUS_LOCAL/PC/PC_2004-05_TABLE.html

Queensland 4 3 1 - - - - 20.0 1.143 2077/61 2205/74
New South Wales 4 3 - - - 1 - 18.0 2.006 1711/49 1358/78
Western Australia 4 2 - - 1 1 - 12.0 1.032 2143/60 2042/59
Tasmania 4 1 - - - 3 - 6.0 0.809 2093/79 2031/62
South Australia 4 1 - - - 3 - 6.0 0.783 1842/76 2105/68
Victoria 4 1 - - - 3 - 6.0 0.746 1905/78 2030/62

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/AUS_LOCAL/ING/ING_2004-05_TABLE.html

And particularly in the one day comp.

Queensland 5 5 - - - 4 24 +1.329 1274/222.5 1097/250
Tasmania 5 4 1 - - 2 18 +0.554 1300/248.1 1171/250
Western Australia 4 2 2 - - - 8 -0.391 923/169 989/169
Victoria 4 1 3 - - 1 5 +0.117 792/155.3 841/169
New South Wales 4 1 3 - - - 4 -0.112 994/200 996/196
South Australia 4 - 4 - - - 0 -2.133 808/200 997/161.3

If my memory sevres me correct, the great blues bowler Lee went for 70+ in his last game for his country

Yeah Qlder's can't play :wink:

Terry.

Fishman Dan
5th December 2004, 10:55 PM
If my memory sevres me correct, the great blues bowler Lee went for 70+ in his last game for his country

Terry.

Mate, i bet you still look for Bjelke-Peterson on your ballot paper too ;)

Operative word - last game. Looked like he bowled pretty well tonight. Better than the meat-pies Kaspa and Watson served up when the game was there to be won.

FFS - Lehmann took 2 wickets... :roll:

Jarro
6th December 2004, 05:50 AM
Fishy, why didn't you just call this thread.. "why don't we just have NSWelshman in the Australian team" [-X

This is the same Kaspa that was skittling them in the Test series isn't it. I didn't think he bowled that bad, just was unlucky to catch that guy on a good night ... he'll bounce back :wink:

I think the reason we lost was because we didn't make enough runs :roll:

terryand
6th December 2004, 08:13 AM

Terry.

Mate, i bet you still look for Bjelke-Peterson on your ballot paper too ;)

Operative word - last game. Looked like he bowled pretty well tonight. Better than the meat-pies Kaspa and Watson served up when the game was there to be won.

FFS - Lehmann took 2 wickets... :roll:

Isn't it amazing what a spell on the sideline can do :roll:

Terry.

Fishman Dan
6th December 2004, 09:03 AM
Fishy, why didn't you just call this thread.. "why don't we just have NSWelshman in the Australian team" [-X

Now now, no need to get all Victorian on me J-Ho ;) :lol:

The Bulls side is full of 2nd stringers, such as the Mahers. A severe case of Bevan-itis. Some talented youngsters in there too - but the likes of Hauritz, Bichel etc aren't going to get many opportunities to step up to the next level. You'd have to think that without Warne, MacGill will be the next spinner considered.

But Kaspa's 4-wides was shocking. Schoolboy stuff. Maybe a break is what he needs ;)

And just quietly, given a season or two, the current WA team should emerge with some talent.

damoocow
6th December 2004, 10:24 AM
Australia deserved what they got - going into that game without a fast bowler was just plain stupid - Brett Lee's medium pacers were never going to be much of a problem.

damoocow

AndyP
6th December 2004, 10:34 AM
This is the same Kaspa that was skittling them in the Test series isn't it. I didn't think he bowled that bad, just was unlucky to catch that guy on a good night ... he'll bounce back :wink:
You can't seriously be defending Kaspa's over. It was woeful, and cost Aust the match.

I thought Lee was fantastic, and Watson bowled pretty well, except for the first ball of his last over.

Very, very stupid shot by Symonds to get out, especially considering the situation.
Nice innings by Hogg, but why are they playing a grade cricketer at an international level.

Got no idea why the selectors rested both Gillespie and McGrath either. :? Would have been nice to have an experienced bowler out there.

Kaspa out, Lee to hold his spot.

BTW, is Rudi Kuetzen trying to even up the LBWs after the Kiwi's got some rough decisions in the test series? How could he have given Martyn out?

Fishman Dan
6th December 2004, 10:46 AM
BTW, is Rudi Kuetzen trying to even up the LBWs after the Kiwi's got some rough decisions in the test series? How could he have given Martyn out?

Because he was very very out. There was no bat involved - it didn't even come close. Chappelli's continued comments of "there could have been bat in that" after numerous, slowest possible replays is the most retarded thing i've seen. There was no bat in either decision.

And Hayden should have been gone in the first over. That was so plum it could have resembled 69'ers choice of golf shirts.

AndyP
6th December 2004, 10:53 AM
And Hayden should have been gone in the first over. That was so plum it could have resembled 69'ers choice of golf shirts.
Agreed. Plum as.

Initial reaction on the Martyn decision was that it was going over the stumps. The replays didn't change my mind.

AndyP
6th December 2004, 01:45 PM
I just came across this great quote from Hookesy:

When they give out the baggy blue cap in New South Wales, they give you a baggy green cap in a brown paper bag as well to save making two presentations
:lol:

McMw
6th December 2004, 02:08 PM
wow.... :shock:
one bad over, and some of you reckons he should be hung... :shock:

wonder if you take the same approach to your own golf game... :roll:

Fishman Dan
6th December 2004, 02:15 PM
wow.... :shock:
one bad over, and some of you reckons he should be hung... :shock:

It's more than just one over - but his efforts last night were a disgrace. 22 off the over!! To bowl 5-wides when you have been brought on to win the game is inexcuseable. And to think the QLD'ers have the guts to suggest there are more in their state squad who are worthy?

Allowing New Zealand to beat us should be a jail-able offence! And Ponting was an adversary!

McMw
6th December 2004, 02:33 PM
Allowing New Zealand to beat us should be a jail-able offence!

FOR SURE!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
They should all be hung by their nuts!!!

if they can let Martyn and Langer stay in the team after shocking performances, I'm sure Kaspa will be given a reprieve too...

Fishman Dan
6th December 2004, 02:35 PM
Allowing New Zealand to beat us should be a jail-able offence!

FOR SURE!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
They should all be hung by their nuts!!!

Mau, i think i'm really starting to warm to you... :lol: :lol: :lol:

AndyP
6th December 2004, 02:37 PM
if they can let Martyn and Langer stay in the team after shocking performances, I'm sure Kaspa will be given a reprieve too...
That seems to be the test policy, but I'm not so sure about the one-dayers.
Kaspa will probably stay in the squad/rotation, but I wouldn't play him in Sydney.

Jarro
6th December 2004, 03:47 PM
You can't seriously be defending Kaspa's over. It was woeful, and cost Aust the match.

Got no idea why the selectors rested both Gillespie and McGrath either. :? Would have been nice to have an experienced bowler out there.

Kaspa out, Lee to hold his spot.

McGrath and Gillespie were rested because the selectors were doing their usual rotation thing, they've ben saying for ages they'll be changing the bowling attack around for the entire one-day series.

I'm not defending Kaspa's over at all .. it was disgraceful, very unlike himas he's turned into a really good bowler in the last couple of seasons. I just think we let ourselves down in the batting... if it wasn't for Gilly and Boof we'd have lost with 15 overs to spare :shock: To go from 1/100 odd to 5/135 was shocking ... 230 odd was never going to be enough on that flat track.

Fishman Dan
6th December 2004, 03:50 PM
Why Symonds, Martyn and Clark were all in the team is a mystery to me. A natural shotmaker like The Future of Australian Cricket should be coming in 4 or 5 - not 7!!

Not saying their spot in the team isn't completely justified, but we have 3 blokes who do the same job - just 2 of them are lucky to be there ;)

AndyP
6th December 2004, 03:56 PM
McGrath and Gillespie were rested because the selectors were doing their usual rotation thing, they've ben saying for ages they'll be changing the bowling attack around for the entire one-day series.
I understand that, I just can't understand why both of them needed to be rested for the same match.
Surely you would want to get off to the best possible start in a series, and therefore name your best team.

I think 246 is a bit better than 230-odd, and it seemed like a pretty good total at the time, and looked that way until THAT OVER.

BTW Kaspa out. ;)
http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/DEC/120869_AUS_06DEC2004.html

AndyP
6th December 2004, 03:59 PM
Why Symonds, Martyn and Clark were all in the team is a mystery to me. A natural shotmaker like The Future of Australian Cricket should be coming in 4 or 5 - not 7!!
And why do they continue to bowl Lehmann, instead of Mr. 6 for 9?
I know Lehmann bowled OK last night, but they haven't bowled Clarke, since coming home. :?

Jarro
6th December 2004, 04:04 PM
I'm sure i heard Ponting say that he was expecting a total of around 300 to be made by his team on that wicket. He was happy as when Fleming won the toss and sent the boys in .... so in that respect i think our batting let us down.

Kaspa will be rested, but he'll be back. MacGrath and Gillespie will be rested in future as well .. it's just the way to go to keep them fresh, i can't see a problem with it myself :?

I think a bit too much is being made of "that" over. He had figures of 1/31 off 8 overs before that over, better than Lee's 1/40 off 8. Everyone is entitled to an off day, let alone an off over :roll:

Bruce
6th December 2004, 04:06 PM
, but we have 3 blokes who do the same job - just 2 of them are lucky to be there ;)

I was scratching my head when I saw the selected side too here. 3 number 6s who bowl a bit. I think they overestimated their bowling requirements.

BrisVegas
6th December 2004, 04:08 PM
hey Andipee, when are you gonna start your MacLeod cup 2005 thread? :wink:

Fishman Dan
6th December 2004, 04:14 PM
I think a bit too much is being made of "that" over. He had figures of 1/31 off 8 overs before that over, better than Lee's 1/40 off 8. Everyone is entitled to an off day, let alone an off over :roll:

He was asked to win the match - bowl full and straight. He managed neither, and lost the game. Simple. Figures mean crap. He was asked to do a job, and came up embarrassingly short.

Lee is asked to bowl fast and straight - and did so last night. Besides, he took 2-fa...

So what was the outcome of 'that' over? Series 0-1. The argument that we didn't have enough runs is tripe - we had the runs on the board when NZ came out to bat, and they should have fallen short. With 22 off a single over they won with 2 or 3 balls to spare - if he was 'carted' for 14 off the over, we still would have won.

AndyP
6th December 2004, 04:15 PM
hey Andipee, when are you gonna start your MacLeod cup 2005 thread? :wink:
Why? Is there a particular reason you are asking this? 8-[
Am I missing something? :?

Or is this a fair-dinkum question? And you are thread-jacking against your own personal beliefs? :wink:

Jarro
6th December 2004, 04:24 PM

He was asked to win the match - bowl full and straight. He managed neither, and lost the game. Simple. Figures mean crap. He was asked to do a job, and came up embarrassingly short.

Lee is asked to bowl fast and straight - and did so last night. Besides, he took 2-fa...

So what was the outcome of 'that' over? Series 0-1. The argument that we didn't have enough runs is tripe - we had the runs on the board when NZ came out to bat, and they should have fallen short. With 22 off a single over they won with 2 or 3 balls to spare - if he was 'carted' for 14 off the over, we still would have won.

How many times has Kaspa had "that" many runs taken off one over :?: not too many i'd expect. I admit he didn't bowl well for "that" over, but the rest of the spell was pretty impressive ... not too many runs scored. You guys can't seriously think that he'll be dropped in favour of Lee :o the guy goes for more runs per match than any bowler to ever play for Australia.

not enough runs on the board from our guys i'm afraid :evil:

AndyP
6th December 2004, 04:31 PM
How many times has Kaspa had "that" many runs taken off one over :?: not too many i'd expect. I admit he didn't bowl well for "that" over, but the rest of the spell was pretty impressive ... not too many runs scored.
How many times does anyone get taken for that many runs off one over? It was a big time choke.

You guys can't seriously think that he'll be dropped in favour of Lee :o the guy goes for more runs per match than any bowler to ever play for Australia.
Not yet, but he was a lot safer before this match than what he is now.

Another consideration is the 2007 World Cup. Will Kaspa be available and still going when this comes around?

I've never been a big fan of Lee, and believe he has been very overrated up to this point. But it would be great to see him finally fulfil this "potential".
Not only did he get a 2 for, but he troubled the batsmen on the night. Whether he can do that against better quality sides than the Kiwis, is another question.

Did you hear that before yesterday's match, the Kiwi's were the only side to have a better ODI win-loss ratio than the Aussies for this calendar year?

Fishman Dan
6th December 2004, 04:32 PM
How many times has Kaspa had "that" many runs taken off one over

How many times has it happened to Lee, yet you lot hate his guts ;)

You guys can't seriously think that he'll be dropped in favour of Lee

If he plays on Wednesday he'll cop a serve, guarranteed.

not enough runs on the board from our guys i'm afraid :evil:

I agree, we should have won by 40 runs. However even after the failure with the bat, we should have still won by a dozen last night. Stop diverting attention away from the main issue here 8)