PDA

View Full Version : All you Umbrella ho's - fire away

jimandr
7th January 2009, 08:56 PM
I've always been a purchaser of the cheapest golf umbrella I can find, usually from K-Mart or Target, etc. But they don't perform too well in strong winds, which in our part of the world are usually part and parcel of rainstorms. I need a new one at the moment.

Having seen a thread on an umbrella in the Proshop (but with no useful comments in it), I figured that you guys have opinions about everything else related to equipment, and therefore you'd have something to say about this subject.

So, what is the consensus?

Is a top of the range umbrella worth the bucks? Or not? Are some better than others?

Courty
7th January 2009, 09:00 PM
Anything with a double canopy should be fine in the wind. Any more than $50 and you're paying for the name.

adlo
7th January 2009, 10:31 PM
Anything with a double canopy should be fine in the wind. Any more than $50 and you're paying for the name.
Spot on. All double canopy umbrellas are good. No names can be had for $40-$50. Sometimes you can catch a run out Adidas/TM or something similar for that price.

Dotty
7th January 2009, 10:53 PM
Tended to buy $30 unlogo'ed stuff from the pro-shop in the past and not had a problem. Admittedly, I've gone off golfing in the rain, so it is mainly between car and office, or Guide Dog events. (Colleagues are amazed at the size of a golf umbrella.)

Also have a smaller Nike umbrella with double ribs, which was purchased from Al's Enfield for about $25, when caught out during a lunchtime walk. Does the job, but not as good coverage as the larger umbrellas.

3oneday
8th January 2009, 06:28 AM
I bought a gustbuster for $70 a couple of years ago. It's light and very easy to carry.

Not sure what the no-names weigh in comparison :p

burger
8th January 2009, 10:26 AM
Jim, agree with a double canopy and not paying more than $50. Got mine from Squizzys recently after spotting a TM for $40 and after mucking about deciding if to replace my worn out brolly, missed out on that one and got a different one for $50.

Squizzys also doing free postage atm just put "FREEPOST" as the discount code upon checkout.

Hux
8th January 2009, 05:17 PM
Windefeyer of Ebay @ $20 plus $11 postage.

Double canopy large. Been wet, it kept water on top and none underneath.
Haven't tried it in high wind.
No logo, no need to sell when you ho into a different brand.

Golfnut
8th January 2009, 10:37 PM
Do all of these work with the umbrella holders attached to the buggies or does this require a specific type of brolly?

Courty
8th January 2009, 10:38 PM
Do all of these work with the umbrella holders attached to the buggies or does this require a specific type of brolly?

Depends on the umbrella handle, the umbrella holder, and how tall you are. :?

Dazza
8th January 2009, 10:46 PM
I purchased a Brosnan windbuster umbrella for the wife a few weeks back, with the double canopy.
All the 2nd canopy is capable of doing is blowing itself open! Wasn't blowing hard, and still blew open. Am I expecting too much here, do they all do it??
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j100/bns_warrior_nt/DSC03077.jpg

Bought myself a Callaway gustbuster Umbrella at the same time, and it has a tie-down system on each section of the 2nd canopy so it can't blow open.

Golfnut
8th January 2009, 10:48 PM
Ok, so the handle needs to be compatible with the umbrella holder firstly....most golfing brollys i've seen have a staight handle, so I guess this is the way to go....hmmm height wise, i'm reasonbly short (5'7) so I don't think I want it too high.

My brother always told me to protect the golf bag in rain instead of yourself :neutral: after all golf is a winter sport but a nice big brolly to keep me and bag dry would be nice next winter.

Courty
8th January 2009, 10:52 PM
The after-market 'Xtra-hand' umbrella holder can handle reasonable fat umbrella grips. However, I found when I bought my Bagboy Smoothy buggy that the built-in umbrella holder was smaller. Then I found that it wasn't high enough (I'm 6'2") and Bagboy don't sell an extender for the holder. What they do sell, however, is a Bagboy umbrella with an extra-long shaft (for $80 :roll).

Golfnut
8th January 2009, 10:59 PM
The after-market 'Xtra-hand' umbrella holder can handle reasonable fat umbrella grips. However, I found when I bought my Bagboy Smoothy buggy that the built-in umbrella holder was smaller. Then I found that it wasn't high enough (I'm 6'2") and Bagboy don't sell an extender for the holder. What they do sell, however, is a Bagboy umbrella with an extra-long shaft (for $80 :roll).

Typical :roll:

I've got this buggie:
http://www.brosnangolf.com.au/OurGear/Buggies/WallabuggyYellow/tabid/109/language/en-AU/Default.aspx
It comes with one end of a umbrella holder already fixed o the handle (little black thing you can see in the enlarged pic) I'm guessing I'd have to go with Brosnan's Brolly holder so it matches up with the spline on the handle....otherwise buy a whole new one altogether.

henno
8th January 2009, 11:05 PM
Bought myself a Callaway gustbuster Umbrella at the same time, and it has a tie-down system on each section of the 2nd canopy so it can't blow open.

Mine (a branded gift from a supplier) has the same elastic tie-downs to each corner. It's a beauty, yet I can't see the umbrella working right without the the tie-downs, so it sounds to me like Brosnan have sacrificed function for price yet again.

Rusty
9th January 2009, 12:18 AM
having resisted for ages, i now much prefer the double canopy. better for shade too on very hot days.

oobsadd2
9th January 2009, 02:55 PM
Worst brolley I ever had was easily the most expensive, a big Mizuno.

v205
9th January 2009, 06:11 PM
After all the mucking around with different golf umbrellas. I have settled with a double canopy solar (Aus UV is strong!) umbrella. Any decent one of that descriltion should handled mixed enviroments well.

haysey
9th January 2009, 09:34 PM
Depends on the umbrella handle, the umbrella holder, and how tall you are. :?

Actually, has anyone ever seen an extension for an umbrella holder? ;)

haysey
9th January 2009, 09:35 PM

Note to self: read rest of thread before posting:roll:

Courty
9th January 2009, 10:15 PM
Note to self: read rest of thread before posting:roll:

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Rooster
10th January 2009, 11:04 AM

You can try one of these for around $150.

Dunno how well they work but they look great!!!

Courty
10th January 2009, 11:12 AM

You can try one of these for around $150.

Dunno how well they work but they look great!!!

Very nice, although you'll never get that handle in an umbrella holder. :oops:

Fishman Dan
12th January 2009, 10:06 AM
I was given one of those silver ones last Christmas ('07) that's meant to reflect the heat, blah blah blah. It was given to me by the sister in law, who walked into a golf store and said "What's a popular umbrella" to a salesman. Big double-canopy job with no name. I'm very reluctant to use it because it's bloody heavy and I carry my bag.

Dazza
16th February 2009, 03:40 PM
I purchased a Brosnan windbuster umbrella for the wife a few weeks back, with the double canopy.
All the 2nd canopy is capable of doing is blowing itself open! Wasn't blowing hard, and still blew open. Am I expecting too much here, do they all do it??
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j100/bns_warrior_nt/DSC03077.jpg

Returned the umbrella to Golf World. They sent it back to Brosnan, and 3 weeks later I have another umbrella. Same model, and looks like it'll have the same problem.

3oneday
16th February 2009, 03:44 PM
I need an umbrella holder, I was struggling to hold my beer against the brolly Satdy (and push the cart !)

burger
16th February 2009, 03:47 PM
dont want to get that rain in the beer do we now . . . .

3oneday
16th February 2009, 04:26 PM
No

Ned
16th February 2009, 06:48 PM
I need an umbrella holder, I was struggling to hold my beer against the brolly Satdy (and push the cart !)

Ive got a solution for that, stubby holders across the dash of the cart and all weather bag cover and windscreen means you can cruise around in great comfort and Esky on the passenger side is very hand.8-)