PDA

View Full Version : Membership for Cabra or Livo

uahmad
5th January 2009, 05:56 PM
Hey guys,

after recently joining and asking about purchasing clubs to tips on playing etc, i have come a long way.

Took some lessons and have hit a few golf courses over the period.

Now I'm in the stage of choosing a club to join.

The 2 or 3 that appeal to me are Cabramatta, Liverpool and Bankstown.
They are close to where i live and relatively good value (not sure what Bankstown is worth - if someone can fill me in)

Im leaning towards Cabramatta as many have said its good Value for what you get.

Anyhow I don't know any members etc and was wondering if someone wants to help further my cause in becoming a member. (ie. recommend/forward me on the form)

I think its a matter of just filling out the form and waiting i guess.

If someone has any tips or information about the joining process, to fast track or almost guarantee membership it would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Grunt
5th January 2009, 06:00 PM
I would lean towards Liverpool and Cabra in my opinion. Andrew was a member of Cabra for a few years I think. I would have to say they are the 2 local courses I would join if I were to join a Sydney club once again.

My order of choice

Cabramatta
Liverpool
Bankstown

Not in your list but have you looked at Camden Valley?

uahmad
5th January 2009, 06:06 PM
Thanks Grunt, No i havent looked at camden valley it slightly gets a little further away from my place. Not by much but when you drive for over 1 hour to get to work Mon-Fri the last thing you want to do is drive on the weekend

Cabra is 7mins away and looks unbeatable in Dollar Vs Value.

jimandr
5th January 2009, 08:49 PM
A guy has posted almost the same question on ISG, relating strictly to Cabramatta. Assuming that person isn't you, it is worth a look over there, as the advice appears to be on the money.

My personal view (as a deeply offended member of Camden Valley) is that Cabra is the best option from almost every point of view. Bankstown and Liverpool are both double the price, and not significantly better quality courses. I actually think Cabramatta is more fun than either of them, and from what I have heard, has lots of friendly members.

The downside might be that is used to be a bit difficult to get a game in the Saturday comp, but that info is a few years old. It might not be like that now.

When you join (wherever it is), make sure to invite us for a game.

Dotty
5th January 2009, 09:45 PM
I don't know about these three clubs, but there may be some offers floating around to get new members, such as no joining fee or 18 months membership for the price of 12.

If you are looking to save a couple of hundred, another option is 5-day or 6-day memberships, if you are willing to forego Saturday play. And sometimes clubs have reduced rates for under 30's.

One place to look for membership offers is the free golf newspapers, Pacific Golfer and Inside Social Golf. (I've seen Pacific Golfer at some clubs, golf stores and driving ranges, but only ever seen Inside Social Golf at driving ranges, but it is available online.)

macjackass
6th January 2009, 12:00 AM
I like Cabra, with the exception of the first two holes (they're crap) I always enjoy playing there. OT, is that where Terry Lamb (I think it was him) got in a punch up about slow play?

Andrew
6th January 2009, 08:07 AM
I like Cabra, with the exception of the first two holes (they're crap) I always enjoy playing there. OT, is that where Terry Lamb (I think it was him) got in a punch up about slow play?
The 2nd could be a good hole if they did some tree clearing & little re-bunkering. It wouldn't cost them that much either.

Yes, Terry Lamb is a member there. He joined Cabra after it was suggested he was best not to renew his membership at his former club. The punch up is not the only trouble he has gotten into.

U ah mad,

I was a member at Cabra for a few years about 5 or 6 years ago. It's generally in reasonable condition, although they have problems with a few fairways & greens every winter due to their over abundance of trees. The 8th fairway & the 5th & 11th greens suffer the most.

The membership are all right. There is a rough element, but you just avoid them & you'll make plenty of friends. It was quite difficult to get a game on Saturdays if you where not playing every week & the Wednesday comp is tough to get a game before 9am.

Gaining membership should not be difficult. Just ring the club & ask what you need to do. You shouldn't need a proposer or seconder, they are just not that exclusive.

Of the southwest Sydney clubs/courses, the best in my opinion is Cumberland. It has the most 'fun' course & is not too expensive.

Liverpool has a reasonable course (although often in poor condition) & the other thing to consider with Liverpool is the annual subs include all green fees & comp fees. If you are playing at least one comp per week it may be a consideration.

Andrew
6th January 2009, 08:11 AM
I forgot to mention that Penrith have an excellent deal at the moment. I think it's no joining fee & about $950 for 18 months of membership.

Scottt
6th January 2009, 08:19 AM
That's the deal I joined on when I joined Penrith, Andrew. Sensational value.

Uahmad, where do you live?

uahmad
6th January 2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks guys for all the tips,

I live in Abbotsbury to be precise Scott.

I checked out Cabramatta today and really liked the clubhouse etc. Didnt get on the course but got a good feel.
They are sort of renovating the clubhouse, Belissimo the italian joint closed down on cabramatta road is re-opening inside the clubhouse which i think is great!
I hear the have a healthy bank balance and are always looking to put back into the club which sounds good too, Im a member at the Mounties Club and heard whispers mounties is trying to get there fingers involved with the club which to me would be a good think. (cant complain with all those friendly asians dumping money into the club via the pokies :) - Not sure if this is try might just be one of those Gym whispers you hear.

Andrew if you dont mind me asking why did you leave and where did you end up?
I will check out Cumberland and Penrith too.

The bad thing about cabra is they dont have any practice range - Do penrith have one and is it discounted for members?

Thanks Gents

Minor_Threat
6th January 2009, 08:55 PM
Penrith have a range, but you supply and collect your own balls.

Scottt
6th January 2009, 09:14 PM
Yeah, it's not bad, pretty flat and about 170m long. Very few courses in western Sydney have a full range.

Uahmad - have you considered Cumberland? It's a great track and they now have (or are about to have) access to recycled water, so condition will be easier to maintain. It's on Old Prospect Road at Greystanes, just off the Cumberland Highway.

Ashlar's another one that could enter calculations.

IMHO, both are better courses and better value than Cabra or Liverpool.

Only about $1000 a year with no joining fee at the moment for either, IIRC. Ashlar could still be moving to Stonecutters Ridge, but going by what I was hearing just before I left, I can't see it getting up anytime soon.

Andrew
6th January 2009, 09:21 PM
Andrew if you dont mind me asking why did you leave and where did you end up?

Without wanting to ‘bag out’ the club, I basically felt it wasn’t the club for me.

My home club is Newcastle GC, but I live in Sydney, so I’m also a member of Camden Valley.

Scottt
9th January 2009, 02:58 AM
This joined yet?

uahmad
9th January 2009, 11:25 AM
put the membership form in.
waiting for reply, apparently the next lot of members go through in feb.

Fishman Dan
10th January 2009, 10:07 PM
Apparently Strathfield has no joining fee during summer.

Not a terrible course, but there's something about back-to-back-to-back par 5's that doesn't excite me.

Scottt
10th January 2009, 10:18 PM
Uahmad, did you have a look at Cumberland?

uahmad
11th January 2009, 09:14 AM
Scott just checked it online, seems ok.
Generally getting the feeling Cabra might be a little better in terms of course play and condition?

I think ill go down to Cumberland this arvo for a quick few holes.

Scottt
11th January 2009, 10:06 AM
I'd recommend it UAM. In the end it's much of a muchness, and the ease of access makes a huge difference. I know the Cumberland Highway can be a C U Next Tuesday for trafic, so that could count against Cumberland if you are nearer to there.

But Cumberland truly is underrated, in my book, and in the book of many others here, such as, if I am not mistakes, Andrew and Virge - who know their shite.

Cumberland to me is the kind of course where 14 or so of the 18 holes can only be played one way. I feel that in the long run Cumberland could be a more satisfying course to play.

If Cabra has one big weakness it's the par threes, and to be honest the par fives aren't real special either.

3, 5, 10, 12, 16 and 17 at Cabra I would call good holes, where as at Cumbo I'd say 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 16, 17 and 18 are as good or better than any hole at Cabra.

Trust you gut. Whichever you choose, you can't go too wrong.

uahmad
11th January 2009, 10:12 AM
thanks for the heads up Scott,

Just called the pro shop at cumberland, and they have a comp today so i can get on after 3ish. I think ill do that.

I played 9 holes at cabra yesterday and thought it was really nice, the fairways were very green lush etc...
I havent played many courses but got a good feeling.

Ugh the wait till 3! everyone has a comp today, i got up at 6am ringing around local clubs to get a game on..

Scottt
11th January 2009, 10:17 AM
Trust your gut mate. That's the strongest measure, after all, it's you who will be playing there.

If you can, play the front nine. It's great. Some tops short par fours (1 and 7), a ripper par 5 (9) and two other good ones (4 and 2), two corker par threes (3 and 5) and 6 and 8 are really fun par fours that challenge you with length and guile respectively.

Lots of water, some tricky putts and nice, undulating terrain.

Have fun.

Minor_Threat
11th January 2009, 10:49 AM
I would prefer Cumberland over Cabra myself.. However this is based on things about 6 years ago before a big storm wiped out a lot of Cumberlands tress and the dams dried up.

I have no idea of its condition these days..

Scottt
13th January 2009, 02:45 AM
So what did you think of Cumbo?

virge666
13th January 2009, 08:53 AM
I would rather slam my nuts in a car door than be a member of Cabra. What a stupid bloody golf course in dire need of a chainsaw.

Cumberland all the way, great layout for the real estate, laid back attitude and easy to get to.

uahmad
13th January 2009, 09:38 AM
Hey Scott,
headed up to cumbo on Sunday and played the first 9. It was really nice. To be honest Im split between the 2 clubs now (Cabra & Cumberland)
Cabra is still a little cheaper (by about $400)
but Cumberland might be easier to get on early in the morning on weekends (everyone seems to think its hard to get on at cabra early weekends)
Ive put my application for Cabra in and Ill do the same for Cumberland in the next couple of days. See who gets back to me first and then go from there.
I JUST WANT TO PLAY!!!! and get a HANDICAP!!!

3oneday
13th January 2009, 09:55 AM
I had a membership form sent to me from Cumberland once, and in the fine print on the bottom of the form it said new members cannot put their name down for Satdy comps for a certain number of months, or something like that.

You also need to go to the Time Sheet draw from memory, on Thursday nights ?

Both of these didn't suit me so i didn't bother.

uahmad
13th January 2009, 07:58 PM
Scott,

Youve mad it difficult for me, i took another walk out at cumberland this afternoon. Really looked nice.

Spoke to a few members having a beer seemed all nice and were talking about how the club has gotten better and better.

I might call the office tomorrow and see how quickly i can join and if they have that probation/wait period before you can enter comps...

Anyone else a member of here who knows more info?

virge666
13th January 2009, 09:07 PM
Youve mad it difficult for me, i took another walk out at cumberland this afternoon. Really looked nice.

Spoke to a few members having a beer seemed all nice and were talking about how the club has gotten better and better.

The question you want to ask yourself is where do you want to be playing in 3-5 years time.

You can be out in the boonies telling each other how good your golf course because it is so narrow and hard with bugger all parking and a clubhouse that looks like a TAB . . . .

or you can go to Cumberland and enjoy a fun B Grade course with a few weird holes, some great par 3's and a laid back optimistic memebership. And the food is WAY better at half way.

Honestly mate - played a lot of golf everywhere . . . the reason cabra is cheap is because it is not as good. tis that simple.

These are not the course you want (speaking jedi)

Scottt
13th January 2009, 09:07 PM
I don't believe we have any Cumbo members among the active membership at OzGolf.

The conditioning has been superb of late, and with the recycled water to start flowing soon, there is no reason for them to suffer through drought ever again.

Now if they would just exhume that elephant from the 16th green. I stiffed it to six feet directly behind the hole last time and four putted :lol:

Scottt
13th January 2009, 09:09 PM
And the food is WAY better at half way.

And if he can learn a bit about correct address posture, he might be able to get a free steak sanga as well :lol:

3oneday
14th January 2009, 07:01 AM
I might call the office tomorrow and see how quickly i can join and if they have that probation/wait period before you can enter comps...

Fill us in, I live 10 minutes from there and interested to hear if it has changed.

uahmad
14th January 2009, 10:03 PM
3oneday,

Saw the general manager today and they are saying memberships are full. (they only take 800 in then cap it) they do that 100 provisonal members in which i signed up for and should get in by next week.
The deal is the same as a full member but the 800 members have preference over you. i.e you can enroll in a sat comp Friday but not before that to allow the 800 members get a spot first..

They only take 100 provisional in and once a few members leave/dont renew you get upgraded to what they consider a full member.

Dont know if this suits you?

He did say getting a game in sat 9/10 you wouldn't have any probs.

I like the idea that they cap memberships i think cabra has toooo many members...

Scottt
14th January 2009, 10:23 PM
I guess it depends whether you mind who you play with or not. Even so, if you got in with a group of fellas they could just put down the name of a guy who wasn't going to play, then switch him for you on the Friday.

But by the sounds of it at Cabra you can be a full member and still have a good chance that you'll miss out.

What are they charging at the moment?

uahmad
14th January 2009, 10:35 PM
Cabra is 400 join + 740 annual subs

Cumbo is 1146 annual no join.

Cabra i think has changed a fair bit since you last played i think scott.
Did i mention they have Belisimos move in. They run the restaurant and coffee take away joint. So the food isn't that bad at all.

Got an interview Friday with the board to approve my application (had a good chat with the GM and he fast tracked my app)

Im the 6th prov person on the list, just need 6 members to drop out and im set..

Scottt
14th January 2009, 10:50 PM
Cabra i think has changed a fair bit since you last played i think scott.

I doubt it. I was there in June. You mean course changes or club changes?

Did i mention they have Belisimos move in. They run the restaurant and coffee take away joint.

I don't know if Virge's comment about "better halfway house at Cumbo" was serious, but I wouldn't worry too much about what restaurant they have. These things change pretty rapidly.

3oneday
15th January 2009, 06:23 AM
Yeah, restuarants and golf clubs don't seem to have long lasting relationships these days :lol:

Being a provisional member and finding out Friday what time I am playing the next day sucks huge donkey dongers.

uahmad
18th January 2009, 02:22 PM
Despite the provisional thing I ended up joining, Probably become an official member on the 28th Jan. Then need to play 3 comp rounds to get a handicap..

Spoke to the handicapper and a few board guys, there really excited about where the course/club is heading.
There spending $400,000.00 on the club itself in the next couple months (building a deck outside fixing up some places inside etc)

The water agreement is doing well with boral they reckon the course is 80% of the way there to where they intend it to be. Played 9 holes yesterday and was very happy with it even with the few days of 35+degrees weather the fairways/greens have held up well.

3oneday you said you live 10mins from it, where abouts are you?

3oneday
18th January 2009, 07:00 PM
3oneday you said you live 10mins from it, where abouts are you?South Blacktown, play at Dunheved or Windsor, go figure. All these close courses and I play at one 25 minutes away :lol:

Scottt
18th January 2009, 07:50 PM
Congrats Uahmad. Enjoy. A fair few midweek gamed end up getting organised for Cumbo on a Wednesday, so you'll be meeting plenty of ozgolfers before too long.