PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero 3

damoocow
29th December 2008, 11:51 PM
Well I have to say I had no real idea of what this game was until yesterday when my sister in law gave this to my kids for Xmas, unfortunately for my kids I have discovered how much fun this game is !!! - only early days but will be happy when I have mastered the solo on Paranoid - a few obscure tracks so far but delighted that Holiday in Cambodia got a run ...

billybaub
30th December 2008, 02:11 AM
just wait till the drums come out and u get 4 people playing world tour

drinking night and the wii...what more could you want

Dazza
30th December 2008, 07:25 AM
I too am addicted. The wife bought it at the after-christmas sales, and she can't stop rocking!

Bruce
30th December 2008, 07:51 AM
My GH:World Tour guitar has packed it in with the strum bar failing. I am having to keep the rock up on drums only and am having a ball.

I'm thinking of getting the Rock Band pack with just the guitar in it so I have an axe for some of the time until the replacement arrives and then a total of 2 guitars for the full band experience.

Moe Norman
30th December 2008, 09:37 AM
so should I get this for my Wii, or my PS3?

OR BOTH?!?

billybaub
30th December 2008, 10:41 AM
either one will do. Not worth it on a couple of systems.

Having 2 guitars is handy...only bad thing is in band mode one can play lead so ends up getting a little boring after a couple of hours. But then there is always the drums...

Andrew
30th December 2008, 11:08 AM
only early days but will be happy when I have mastered the solo on Paranoid
What if you just learnt guitar. The solo in Paranoid is not that hard once you know the Pentatonic scale. In fact that scale covers any rock solo from 1969 through to now.

damoocow
30th December 2008, 02:20 PM
What if you just learnt guitar. The solo in Paranoid is not that hard once you know the Pentatonic scale. In fact that scale covers any rock solo from 1969 through to now.

Nice thought Andrew but I discovered long ago that I have NO musical talent...[well apart from smashing guitars - I am good at that]

damoocow
30th December 2008, 02:22 PM
My GH:World Tour guitar has packed it in with the strum bar failing. I am having to keep the rock up on drums only and am having a ball.

I'm thinking of getting the Rock Band pack with just the guitar in it so I have an axe for some of the time until the replacement arrives and then a total of 2 guitars for the full band experience.

This may be the only ever ozgolf post that contains the word AXE................Bruce - you must have given the guitar a good flogging - during which song did it pack it in ?

damoocow
30th December 2008, 02:24 PM
I too am addicted. The wife bought it at the after-christmas sales, and she can't stop rocking!

After a few hours of non stop playing last night I have had to impose a ban on guitar play today - maybe it's a left arm stress fracture ..need to rest so I can play the New Years Eve gig...

goughy
30th December 2008, 06:53 PM
so should I get this for my Wii, or my PS3?

OR BOTH?!?

On the ps3 the instruments are stand alone. I believe on the Wii you need to have 1 controller for every instrument; the controller plugs into the guitar/drums whatever. So more than 2 instruments means having more than 2 controllers.

That'd be my only consideration!

Bruce
30th December 2008, 07:17 PM
Also the PS3 has downloadable content which you can't do with the Wii.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2008/20081024.jpg

I think my guitar was just general wear and tear. Some forum searching suggests I am not alone. The switches in the latest model are having some reliability issues by the looks. I developed more of a tapping technique playing the first two than a strum style. I am modeling my playing on The Ox.

Webster
30th December 2008, 07:42 PM
please don't knock Jessies Girl .... itsa great track by the very under rated Rick Springfield.

(bonus point for anyone who can name the cartoon show that he appeared in during the early 1980's)

Bruce
30th December 2008, 07:50 PM
Mmmmm Miss Tickle (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=dh6YbL4uCOk)

I don't know what I did with the files from his 2005 album though. I heard it through Live365 one day.

Jessie's Girls is not only an awesome song it is awesome to play on GH.

Dazza
30th December 2008, 07:50 PM
A song I did enjoy.... La Grange. I rocked out to that one! :D
& Barracuda.

Moe Norman
30th December 2008, 09:45 PM
On the ps3 the instruments are stand alone. I believe on the Wii you need to have 1 controller for every instrument; the controller plugs into the guitar/drums whatever. So more than 2 instruments means having more than 2 controllers.

That'd be my only consideration!We have 4 Wiimotes, so thats no big deal.

Also the PS3 has downloadable content which you can't do with the Wii.
Why not? My wii is connected to the net.

I think I'll go Wii though, as the Wii is in the living room connected to the big TV. The PS3 is in the bedroom and only on a 32"

goughy
30th December 2008, 09:47 PM
please don't knock Jessies Girl .... itsa great track by the very under rated Rick Springfield.

(bonus point for anyone who can name the cartoon show that he appeared in during the early 1980's)

Used to rent a Rick Springfield concert on vhs years ago! Great concert...

Bruce
31st December 2008, 08:50 AM
How much storage does a Wii have? Isn't it only about 512MB? You will chew that up with 10 songs, never mind what else you might have stored there. I still think they are working on the SD card processes. I had seen some plans for selling the DLC as a standalone disk - but that seems more like an expansion pack than being able to pick and choose the songs you like.

Moe Norman
31st December 2008, 10:51 AM
You can stick 10gb SD cards in there can't you?

goughy
31st December 2008, 11:36 AM
I think the manual said 2gb sd cards.

Bruce Dickinson
16th January 2009, 01:06 PM
A question for those with guitar hero, do you find it hard to follow the guitar riffs?

The reason I ask is that I watched some footage of youtube of guys doing expert level stuff but found myself focusing more on the drums than the guitar. I was trying listen to the guitar line but found it difficult to do.

I havent bought it yet but its a must around tax time

damoocow
16th January 2009, 03:08 PM
A question for those with guitar hero, do you find it hard to follow the guitar riffs?

The reason I ask is that I watched some footage of youtube of guys doing expert level stuff but found myself focusing more on the drums than the guitar. I was trying listen to the guitar line but found it difficult to do.

I havent bought it yet but its a must around tax time

I've seen some youtube stuff as well and those guys are exceptional - I find the game pretty hard [no musical ability] but my 11 yo is almost finished it on expert level.....I have often wondered if [real]guitarists find the game too easy

Rusty
23rd January 2009, 11:20 AM
well i finally made the effort to play one of these at the History of Video Games exhibit at the State Library (well worth it if you get the chance to go). now i'm hooked. just figuring out which platform to get to play it on. i guess the band one is more useful so others can play at the same time. gotta think about what other games i'd play. really only interested in old arcade games - yep Space Invaders, Galaxian, Frogger, Pac Man.

Grunt
23rd January 2009, 11:52 AM
Rusty I will try and find it but I have a big bundle of the old games that you can play on your computer.

damoocow
23rd January 2009, 11:56 AM
well i finally made the effort to play one of these at the History of Video Games exhibit at the State Library (well worth it if you get the chance to go). now i'm hooked. just figuring out which platform to get to play it on. i guess the band one is more useful so others can play at the same time. gotta think about what other games i'd play. really only interested in old arcade games - yep Space Invaders, Galaxian, Frogger, Pac Man.

I went there the other day too - 'Game On' it's called - had forgotten how much fun some of those old arcade games were - well worth a visit for Brissie people

BrisVegas
23rd January 2009, 12:12 PM
I went there the other day too - 'Game On' it's called - had forgotten how much fun some of those old arcade games were - well worth a visit for Brissie people

Yeah, I went there on Sunday with the good wife. Lots of fun. First time I'd played either a Wii or a PS3! I want both now, as I'm mad keen on Gran turismo and she wants Wii Sports and Guitar Hero..... OMFG how expensive are these things!!!:o

Rusty
23rd January 2009, 12:32 PM
wondered through Target yesterday and saw they had a special on every platform with different bundles...

BrisVegas
23rd January 2009, 12:54 PM
$475 for a pre-owned PS3 40Gig at EBGames is the cheapest I can find them. Has anyone seem them cheaper than that ?

Moe Norman
23rd January 2009, 01:14 PM
yes - second hand!

Bruce
23rd January 2009, 01:18 PM
Tonight will be the full band night for Guitar Hero: World Tour for the first time.

Got loads of mates and beers coming and we will ROCK!

goughy
23rd January 2009, 06:30 PM

You can download classic games for the Wii and save them on sd card. I think you can get space invaders, galaga, the sonics, the super marios - stuff from old nintendo and sega platforms!

Haven't gotten around to doing it myself yet, but there were a few I wanted to try. They seem to be between 5 and 20 bucks each.

Bruce Dickinson
27th January 2009, 03:27 PM
Biting the bullet this weekend and buying a decent tv and either a PS3 or xbox360 so that guitar hero can be played. Currently have an xbox so would assume that those games could be played on a 360 (?) but is PS3 better because of the ability to play Blu Ray?

Fishman Dan
27th January 2009, 03:42 PM
Bruce - I bought a PS3 because I wanted a Media Centre solution. Both are more than capable, but the things that pushed me over the edge with the PS3 were Blu-Ray, built-in wireless (not a $150 add-on), and the larger hard disk as standard (now even larger again @ 80 gb).

I don't regret it at all, although if you are a more of a gamer, you might see the 360 as a better outcome as there are more titles available.

But in the next 12 months the PS3 will have Gran Tourismo 5, and 360 won't ;)

Bruce Dickinson
27th January 2009, 03:52 PM
Bruce - I bought a PS3 because I wanted a Media Centre solution. Both are more than capable, but the things that pushed me over the edge with the PS3 were Blu-Ray, built-in wireless (not a $150 add-on), and the larger hard disk as standard (now even larger again @ 80 gb).

I don't regret it at all, although if you are a more of a gamer, you might see the 360 as a better outcome as there are more titles available.

But in the next 12 months the PS3 will have Gran Tourismo 5, and 360 won't ;)

Cheers Dan, I was thinking along the same lines.

Do they do Harry Potter games for PS3? (asking for my 7 year old daughter whose hooked on it on the X Box)

Rusty
29th January 2009, 02:20 PM
Do they do Harry Potter games for PS3? (asking for my 7 year old daughter whose hooked on it on the X Box)

start here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_games) for an incomplete list - 2 HP titles

goughy
30th January 2009, 08:21 AM
http://www.cnet.com.au/games/xbox360/0,239035744,240060520,00.htm

Not fully backwards compatible, but here is something from cnet about it.

How about a wii?

BrisVegas
30th January 2009, 08:49 AM
Biting the bullet this weekend and buying a decent tv and either a PS3 or xbox360 so that guitar hero can be played. Currently have an xbox so would assume that those games could be played on a 360 (?) but is PS3 better because of the ability to play Blu Ray?

Are there any deals around atm for a free games console with a TV purchase? Sony does a free PS3 occasionally with a Bravia LCD purchase. It's a good deal typically, because the PS3 is by redemption, so you can still haggle the store on the TV price...

For the PS3 gurus, is there anything new on the horizon? ie. other than incrememntal hard drive increases, is there a PS4 due any time soon?