PDA

View Full Version : Driver Head At Address

Andrew
28th December 2008, 10:24 AM
This has probably been spoken about before, but I’m interested in how many hover the driver head above the ground at address (Allenby, Norman) & how many rest the head on the ground.

Jarro
28th December 2008, 10:26 AM
I used to hover the club at address, but have now gone back resting it on the ground.

Andrew
28th December 2008, 10:29 AM
I used to hover the club at address, but have now gone back resting it on the ground.

I'm considering switching back myself.

Jarro
28th December 2008, 10:41 AM
Why's that Andrew ?

What do you consider the advantages to be ??

Courty
28th December 2008, 10:50 AM
I've always rested it on the ground. That way I can rest the grip in my hands, rather than hold it... this encourages and assists with keeping my grip nice & light.

razaar
28th December 2008, 11:28 AM
I always support the full weight of the club in my hands before starting the backswing on all shots.

If the club rests on the ground the backswing is in danger of being a jerky snatch back with a grip shift.

dan
28th December 2008, 11:48 AM
I rest it. Guys like allenby who hover it, certainly look like they're in control of the swing.

Moe Norman
28th December 2008, 12:19 PM
I dodn't 'hover' it, but I do pick it up off the ground slighlty before commencing my swing.

I just feel like the starting point should be close to where I want the ending point to be, if I rest it on the ground and make a perfect swing, then I conclude that the club will return to that resting point - which is not where I want it!

Grunt
28th December 2008, 01:00 PM
When I am actually doing everything as I mean to do at Driver address it is hovered. I will also give a gentle wiggle to work the wrists.

markTHEblake
28th December 2008, 01:09 PM
Hovering the club makes me feel very uncomfortable with the amount of tension in my forearms, and it makes me feel like I cant find any trigger to start my golf swing, even in putting. For some reason I have always need to start my swing with the club on the ground, in fact I probably press down ever so slightly.

However last few months I have developed something new, instead of having a static address position in which nothing moves, I have taken up a waggle (not as bad as Garcia-69), and last movement, i tap the club lightly on the ground, pick it up vertically again, hover it for a fraction of a section and start the swing.

That helps me not catch the grass on the backswing, and also i still have a trigger, and its also a great way of getting the 1001 other thoughts out of my brain.

adlo
28th December 2008, 01:16 PM
Hovering the club makes me feel very uncomfortable with the amount of tension in my forearms.
Agreed. Hate the hover.

Andrew
28th December 2008, 02:13 PM
Why's that Andrew ?

What do you consider the advantages to be ??

I've hovered for a few years now, but I don't feel I am as steady at address as I could be.

I have never had any trouble with my swing being 'jerky' so I thought I would go back to resting the club at address.

Of course, I haven't tried it yet.

sms316
28th December 2008, 03:50 PM
Agreed. Hate the hover.
+1

Dotty
28th December 2008, 03:51 PM
Rest on ground, as I have no depth perception.

mikezone13
28th December 2008, 05:47 PM
I've always rested it on the ground. That way I can rest the grip in my hands, rather than hold it... this encourages and assists with keeping my grip nice & light.

Ding ding... same here!

Have tried the hover and only use it if I'm trying to grip it and rip it, normally with horrible results.

Webster
28th December 2008, 06:23 PM
I rest, then hover.

andylo
28th December 2008, 09:31 PM
Personally I think hover is for ppl has very strong forearm.

I used to hover then now I do the rest then hover. I used to have much stronger forearm due to badminton and table tennis. I used to feel hover the driver help me find the sweetspot more often because I addressed the ball with the sweet spot (like Moe's theory)

Now if i hover I feel I lost control and I feel most of the energy is consumed for hovering the club (instead stored for holding the swing)

BrisVegas
28th December 2008, 10:29 PM
i hover. Greg told me too.

macjackass
29th December 2008, 03:21 AM
If there is trouble on the left then I hover. Can't hook it when I hover.

3oneday
29th December 2008, 07:19 AM
I rest, then hover.

Personally I think hover is for ppl has very strong forearm.
makes sense ;)

hocko
29th December 2008, 05:11 PM
Rest it, grip it and rip it.

razaar
29th December 2008, 05:24 PM
grip it, lift it and rip it. :razz:

Golfnut
29th December 2008, 06:55 PM
When I made the step up to a bigger 460 driver, the guy at the proshop was trying to get me to do the hover but it just felt wrong....I persisted for a few weeks but eventually went back to resting it on the ground.

I found with the hover, I needed to tee the ball up a fair bit higher too.

housey
29th December 2008, 07:01 PM
rest, no hover

Toolish
29th December 2008, 07:12 PM
I rest it with the ball addressed out of the toe, then just before I swing i lift the club up.

senecio
29th December 2008, 07:14 PM
My vote is for rest, lift and rip. I tried hovering when I was kid, but only because Greg did it.

Jono
2nd January 2009, 11:24 PM
Now if i hover I feel I lost control and I feel most of the energy is consumed for hovering the club (instead stored for holding the swing)

Well, if you didn't stay in your address position for 45 seconds, you wouldn't consume all your energy ... :razz:

Tongueboy
4th January 2009, 06:46 AM
whatever works on the day