PDA

View Full Version : Sun City Nedbank Challenge

Jarro
4th December 2004, 10:11 AM
.. any of you people with the pay-tv been watching this :?:

http://www.nedbankgolfchallenge.com/

What an awesome course :shock: just beautiful, and in perfect condition.

I watched both rounds so far and the thing that amazes me is how far these guys hit the ball in the higher altitude .... simply amazing. Apples hit a 350 meter drive on the Par5 12th 601yard hole ... then knocked a 5iron just over the back of the green :o

Apples is currently leading at 5 under as well 8)

Jarro
4th December 2004, 12:18 PM
on the 2nd hole, a Par 5, they are using a thing called Flightscope .. which is really a launch monitor.

here are a couple of the readings they showed from yesterdays round :

Sergio Garcia : Ernie Els Retief Goosen
Total carry : Meters 277 256 273
Launch angle : 5.1* 11.5* 5.5*
Max height : Meters 48 25 42
backspin : RPM 4090 2040 3830
Ballspeed : Kmh 281 270 279
Clubspeed : Kmh 189 185 190

marcel
4th December 2004, 02:43 PM
jarro,

saw the flightscope thing once, thought it amusing that it showed (supposedly) exactly where the ball had went but the cameraman couldn't spot it, perhaps they should get a live feed.
Course looks great, the wild life spectacular, rhinos etc. Makes our occasional frill-neck or snake look a bit tame.

Golfgirl
4th December 2004, 04:37 PM
I'll just assume from the readings that Ernie didn't hit a very good shot.... seems an awful high launch angle compared to the others.... :?

Jarro
4th December 2004, 05:02 PM
.. yeah GG, i think he pushed it right into the rough :(

Golfgirl
4th December 2004, 05:08 PM
I can't believe that Sergio hit it so far with such a high spin rate....

I would love to play with a launch monitor one day to measure my speed, spin, etc....

Of course, off a 26 handicap, it probably won't be worth a look.... :oops:

Jarro
4th December 2004, 05:14 PM
I can't believe that Sergio hit it so far with such a high spin rate....

.. don't forget that this is at a course that is around 3000 feet above sea level ... so the thinner air helps them to get extra distance via longer hang time .... i think one of retiefs driver was in the air for around 10seconds :shock:

also having a clubhead speed of around 190Kms/h would help :wink:

Onewood
4th December 2004, 07:22 PM
Goosen 9.5 sec 8) Sergio 10.5 sec :shock: so yes I've watched both rounds :D

Appleby should have been 2 or 3 in front....looking forward to tonights round.....

Coolum.....now Hong kong open....then the Nedbank \:D/

Jarro
4th December 2004, 07:45 PM
Goosen 9.5 sec 8) Sergio 10.5 sec :shock: so yes I've watched both rounds :D

Appleby should have been 2 or 3 in front....looking forward to tonights round.....

Coolum.....now Hong kong open....then the Nedbank \:D/

.. don't you love Pay-TV Kev :smt023

AndyP
5th December 2004, 09:59 AM
.. don't forget that this is at a course that is around 3000 feet above sea level ... so the thinner air helps them to get extra distance via longer hang time .... i think one of retiefs driver was in the air for around 10seconds :shock:

The Flightscope wouldn't be taking that into account though, would it?

Onewood
5th December 2004, 10:40 AM

The Flightscope wouldn't be taking that into account though, would it?

Yes flightscope picked that up plus the ball speed 260k's 8)

Did anyone see the drama on the last hole when Apple's ball was lost in the bunker rough :shock: they spent atleast 4 min looking for it, with the crowd singing out instruction to where they thought it was...(noisy)

When they did find it, Apple's claimed it was a plugged ball but the officials said, no you've got to play it as it lie's :shock: could'nt even see the ball :shock: Well he hit hard into the grass and it popped out left about 15 foot from the hole....he knocked the putt in and gave a little gesture...."like up yours" with his arm :D

He shot a 74 to trail by 2 going into tonight, but again left some shots out there by coming up short with a lot of his iron shots.....if he can work this out he's still a chance, although Westwood and Goosen look good :roll:

Jarro
5th December 2004, 11:54 AM
I think he can win it Kev, although Retief is looking pretty good. Man he's swinging the club well, such effortless power.. kinda like Apples.

Can you believe how well these 2 are driving the ball :shock: I think Apples was hitting his irons really well, he just wasn't making a lot of those putts that he had been in the first 2 rounds :(

will be watching the final round tonight for sure :smt023

markTHEblake
6th December 2004, 11:45 PM
When they did find it, Apple's claimed it was a plugged ball but the officials said, no you've got to play it as it lie's :shock:

the dummy should know the rules better than that. Only get a free drop from a plugged ball on the fairway