PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 22nd December, 2008

BrisVegas
22nd December 2008, 02:48 PM
Woohoo, it's the holidays!!!!!

Hat a hit at Brooky this morning. Hit it pretty nicely, much better than yesterday. 77 gross for 69 nett. Stumbled home with a bogey, double bogey finish too. The new irons are settling in nicely. If I could putt, I would be dangerous.

12 Fairways
11 GIR
33 putts :smt013

Playing again tomorrow.:D

peter_rs
22nd December 2008, 03:56 PM
So when do you go back to work ;)

mikezone13
22nd December 2008, 07:39 PM
Took the newly arrived 905S out for a hit today at Castle Hill CC, and after carving the first one right in to the hazard I was wondering why I left the Hibore XL int he boot, but then it all came together, some really big drives and best of all the workability I had been looking for.

Went out playing a bit aggressive and my score wasn't great at all (crap in fact) but still hitting some top class shots just with all my mistakes really costing me as well as the inability to get up and down (2 all day).

27 pts
6/14 fairways (plus a couple just off)
7/18 GIRs (let this slip with a couple really badly hooked wedges in to the breeze)
35 putts (yet again good from 6-8 feet but missed at least 4 3-4 footers)

Hope to get out again on Christmas Eve and be home before the missus wakes up ;)

BrisVegas
22nd December 2008, 08:54 PM
So when do you go back to work ;)

5th jan.

Jarro
23rd December 2008, 03:25 PM
Blah Blah wank wank .....

....I've mentioned it a few times before but we must arrange a get together at that place sometime next year. Cost $15 and takes about 2 hous to play 18.

Yeah, and afterwards we could have a BBQ/drinks ... it's a great little setup they have there 8-)

peter_rs
23rd December 2008, 03:30 PM
Its $15 for 12pm to sunset on sunday.

Bar every 3 holes

perfect

I always find the water ;)

henno
23rd December 2008, 04:01 PM
Played the par 3 layout at Royal Bulimba today with dear old dad.
Seriously folks..if you can't spend 6 months at that place and develop a decent short game your kidding.
Hit about 3 greens (mind you the greens average about 5mx5m) and shot 2 over par.
I will throw out a challenge right now to beat that score.

I've mentioned it a few times before but we must arrange a get together at that place sometime next year. Cost $15 and takes about 2 hous to play 18.

I play there all the damn time. I take a little esky full of ice and have about 1 beer per hole. Accordingly my best is 7 over. I usually fall to pieces towards the end. A dozen beers often does that to you.

Eag's
23rd December 2008, 06:10 PM
Played the par 3 layout at Royal Bulimba today with dear old dad.
Seriously folks..if you can't spend 6 months at that place and develop a decent short game your kidding.
Hit about 3 greens (mind you the greens average about 5mx5m) and shot 2 over par.
I will throw out a challenge right now to beat that score.

I've mentioned it a few times before but we must arrange a get together at that place sometime next year. Cost $15 and takes about 2 hous to play 18.

The only time I played that great little track was back in 1991 when I came down here for a short holiday. Rich is right if you have no short game, it will rip you a new one. It would be a top place to have an Ozgolf day & BBQ :smt023

haysey
23rd December 2008, 06:40 PM
Finished off the work year with a round of golf at Paradise Palms today:D

Had to work hard for 30 points.

All in all it was a fun way to finish what has been a good year8)

BrisVegas
23rd December 2008, 07:39 PM
If i cant use driver, I aint playing it.

BrisVegas
23rd December 2008, 07:57 PM
Played again today. Think I hit the wall. Too much golf for me it seems. After flushing it yesterday, I hit it like a busted arse today. Everything was just a bit off.

82 gross for 74 nett.
11 Fairways
7 GIR
33 putts

Eag's
24th December 2008, 09:22 AM
Plus it was great to see my name on the honour board from '84...the only frikkin honour board in the country after 25 years of golf.

No disrespect Eagsy but when i'm hitting those little 60-80m shots all day there is one thought running thru my head...DON'T SHANK.

Hey even if I am not thinking shank, there is always some clown around to remind me not to do it ](*,)8-[

Moe Norman
24th December 2008, 10:37 AM
Played RQ on Monday and gave the new Rapture a workout. Hit it much better than the D2, with Dinky little fades about 240-260m. I think the shaft is a bit light for my liking though, but much better than the massive hooks I was hitting with the D2@

I had 84-76 and fluffed 5 little chip/pitches, including one from the side of the green where the ball didn't even move!

Oh well.

BrisVegas
24th December 2008, 11:52 AM
How's RQ looking Moe? Do you have any idea what the guest rate is there? I played a Corporate day last week with an RQ member who invited me out for a hit at some point. Keen to see the new layout, but I'm not game to ask this guy until I know I can afford the guest rate!

haysey
24th December 2008, 01:22 PM
Played stableford at Cairns today:wink:

36 points

1 wipe
2 one pointers

mikezone13
24th December 2008, 01:55 PM
Finally my decent ball striking turned in to a good score. After 10 holes I was even par with 10 pars and 9 GIR's (missed the 1st by a few feet but made the easy up and down).

From here I didn't exactly choke but my bad shots got punished, a lost ball off the 11th tee (hit a tree just off the fairway and was never to be found) and a ball in the water off the tee on 12 (just dribbled too far - hazard is 2m right of the fairway about 250m out).

Managed to hold it together for 40pts but after 23pts on the front I was a bit gutted, my partner and I also combined for 47pts in the 4BBB so hopefully we'll nab something there, stats below.

79 nett 68 (all putted out) for 40pts
8/14 fairways
13/18GIR's
35 putts
1/3 U&D's
0/1 sand saves

Last round for the year should get me back to the 10hcap I started the new year on, bring on 2009!

Jarro
24th December 2008, 01:56 PM
Nice shootin' Cuz 8)

Moe Norman
24th December 2008, 02:03 PM
How's RQ looking Moe? Do you have any idea what the guest rate is there? I played a Corporate day last week with an RQ member who invited me out for a hit at some point. Keen to see the new layout, but I'm not game to ask this guy until I know I can afford the guest rate!
Not sure as the bloke who took me paid for the game, but I believe it is about $55, but not 100% sure.

It's certainly not exhorbitant by any stretch.

(It used to be $110 as an unaccompanied guest and $40 as a members guest)

Moe Norman
24th December 2008, 02:04 PM
Their website says it's now $200 unaccompanied!

Would be very surprised if the guest rate has goneup that much thoguh

Jarro
24th December 2008, 02:07 PM
Their website says it's now $200 unaccompanied!

Surely they're joking right :-s

Who in the hell would pay $200 to play there ???

BrisVegas
24th December 2008, 03:49 PM
I think I paid $100 or thereabouts last (only) time I played it, but it's a completely new course now. Looking forward to seeing it.

mikezone13
24th December 2008, 04:09 PM
Update: I won nothing.. lol... 50pts won the 4BBB (we had 47) on a countback as well while one of those guys was in A grade with 44pts (I had 40pts) and he was a visitor... hmmm

And to further cap it off my handicap only went down to 10.5 not 10.3 (due to ccr) to end the year... lol

amanda
24th December 2008, 04:17 PM
Brad & I played at Penrith GC today - Brad did great with 38 pts, I had a miserable 22 pts - and realised that during all my bad shots - I'm not actually looking at the ball :shock: Not sure what I am looking at - I think my mind is just going blank :lol:

BrisVegas
24th December 2008, 04:18 PM
Brad & I played at Penrith GC today - Brad did great with 38 pts, I had a miserable 22 pts - and realised that during all my bad shots - I'm not actually looking at the ball :shock: Not sure what I am looking at - I think my mind is just going blank :lol:

building a new house will do that to you.:lol:

Bruce
24th December 2008, 04:32 PM
Is there anything more enjoyable than playing a completely empty course on a sunny day. This must be what it is like to be Kerry Packer at Ellerston or something.

Up at Mirboo and all the preparations are done for tomorrow so I went for a hit on my own. Played OK on the front 9 only being 5 over and then I think the serenity got to me a bit or perhaps I was going too fast to go 14 over on the back 9. I birdied the Plum Pud hole in keeping with the holiday spirit. All done in less than 3 hours too.

Now time for more beer.

Moe Norman
24th December 2008, 06:53 PM
Surely they're joking right :-s

Who in the hell would pay $200 to play there ???well it's a brand new course, so how would you know if its worth it?

Perhaps its their way of avoiding every man and his dog coming along to play, after all it costs $9k to join and $2.5k a year, so it's $50 a game for members if they play weekly not including the $9k!

I have played a few times now, and no I wouldn't pay $200 either ;)

damoocow
24th December 2008, 10:12 PM
Jarro and I have played there a couple of times before the current changes - while I wasn't a fan then I would be interested in seeing the new work - any chance of a review Moe ?

Moe Norman
24th December 2008, 10:31 PM
Short Review: 100% better than it used to be. I think its great, but after a couple of games there I think they may have gone a touch overboard in trying to "bing the sandbelt to Brisbane"

It's bloody good though

Jarro
25th December 2008, 07:52 AM
well it's a brand new course, so how would you know if its worth it?

Perhaps its their way of avoiding every man and his dog coming along to play, after all it costs $9k to join and $2.5k a year, so it's $50 a game for members if they play weekly not including the $9k!

I have played a few times now, and no I wouldn't pay $200 either ;)

There is no chance in hell i'd pay $200 to play on any course IN AUSTRALIA.

I'm not bagging RQ at all Moe ... merely stating that green fees are becoming ridiculous and are possibly driving potential business away.

As Damo said, i've played RQ (old layout obviously) and enjoyed it. I'd be keen to play there again ... at a reduced fee of course ;)

Ned
25th December 2008, 07:57 AM
29 Points at Paradise Palms.

Lots of putts, lots of fairways missed

Haysey for several holes (and his beloved Pluva's for a couple)

Not enough alcohol

Won the front nine and overall with a +2 marker as partner,

amanda
26th December 2008, 07:32 AM
building a new house will do that to you.:lol:
We submitted our paperwork for Council approval on Xmas eve - hopefully 8 weeks until we start!

Did you need a jacket out there at Penrith ?

I don't get it :oops:

PeteyD
26th December 2008, 08:03 AM
There is no chance in hell i'd pay $200 to play on any course IN AUSTRALIA.

I'm not bagging RQ at all Moe ... merely stating that green fees are becoming ridiculous and are possibly driving potential business away.

As Damo said, i've played RQ (old layout obviously) and enjoyed it. I'd be keen to play there again ... at a reduced fee of course ;)

Don't think they rely on visitors green fees Mark.

I'd like a chance to play the course and see how it is now, although I can't remember that much of the old course as it was a long time ago that I played it.

Courty
26th December 2008, 12:02 PM
39pts at Cairns this morning with Haysey & a couple of other mates. It was so nice to shoot a decent score for the first time in a while. 8)

haysey
26th December 2008, 12:20 PM
Played stableford at Cairns today:wink:
36 points
1 wipe
2 one pointers

Felt like deja vu

36 points at Cairns with Courty today

1 wipe
1 one pointer

39pts at Cairns this morning with Haysey & a couple of other mates. It was so nice to shoot a decent score for the first time in a while. 8)

That round could have been 4 or 5 points better too:D

I've been playing a lot of people back into form lately:mrgreen:

BrisVegas
26th December 2008, 02:02 PM
well done courty and haysey (for the assist).

PeteyD
27th December 2008, 01:30 PM
91/72 for 36 pts on Wed and 89/70 for 38 today. Spider is on the outer going back to the scotty after 33 and 32 putts. R7 Limited is a rocket launcher.

Grunt
27th December 2008, 04:07 PM
Went out this morning for my first decent hit for a few weeks. Played Camden Valley with Jim.
Played ok but nothing special. Best thing was that there were a few holes where the recovery of a bad shot was good. Pars from very ugly tees shots came up a few times. Short game on the whole was pretty good with some nice up and downs. Putting seemed ok with 32 putts including 2 3 putts.

The break has done both good and bad to my game. I need to practice my swing in general more as when I get it right, I hit it pure as but they are too irregular in general.

Will do the stats for the round later.

95 Gross
78 Nett
32 Putts
more stats to follow.

BrisVegas
27th December 2008, 04:16 PM
After a bit too much christmas cheer last night i fronted up for a game at 6:50zm this morning, still drunk. After a couple of doubles to start, I turned with 19 points. Faded a bit on the back 9 for 12 points and 31 total.

85 gross
12 fairways
6 GIR
29 putts

henno
27th December 2008, 04:20 PM
29 putts is loverly for a semi-drunk, hungover golfer.

shazza_rs
27th December 2008, 05:00 PM
Played Middle Ridge today for a whopping 32 points. Just wasn't interested in playing but it was bloody brilliant to get away from the house with my little niece and nephew who are noisy little shites.

AndyP
27th December 2008, 05:21 PM
Just wasn't interested in playing ....Aren't you up for another 3 or 4 games in the next week? How are you going to get back into it?

jimandr
27th December 2008, 05:37 PM
An ugly 36 points today with Grunt. I didn't hit the ball very well, but got it around without any damage until a choking double bogey at the last.

Fairways = 9 of 14
Greens in reg = 5 of 18
Putts = 30, 1 birdie, zero 3putts
Up & Down = 4 of 10
Sand saves = 1 of 3

Dazza
27th December 2008, 06:34 PM
Just played 9 holes with a friend.
Shot 49.
A few wayward drives, still sorting things out with the new stick.
Putter didn't start working until hole 6. A few 3 putts did not help at all.
Had a bit of tree trouble too. Still managed 2 pars, but a few too many 6's & 7's on the card.
Played well with the Hybrid today.

Now the wife.... Last week she shot 65 if I remember correctly.
Managed to shoot 60 today, a PB for her. Putted well & didn't fluff one shot from the fairway.
Simply fantastic. She's really starting to get a hang of it.

oz
28th December 2008, 07:04 AM
Played at Albury yesterday. Faded over the back 9, and threw away a decent score. Finished with 34 points. Putted well, struck my irons well, but chipped and pitched poorly. Driving was a bit erratic, too, especially on the back 9.

razaar
28th December 2008, 07:19 AM
Don't play golf during the festive season, but i may visit the practice green to roll a few putts with my new custom Lajosi Softtail.

Eag's
28th December 2008, 11:47 AM
Played a Single Stab with Gaz, Perci & Nudgee today.
Rained on and off all day but the course was in good nick.
Driver was all over the shop today hitting a few very wide :oops:
I was happy with my iron play and hit some nice little wedges.
39pts
8 Greens
4 Fairways #-o
28 Putts
4 Birdies (5 if you count the plover I belted on the 3rd :lol:)
6 Pars
4 Bogeys
2 Doubles
2 Wipes

Courty
28th December 2008, 11:55 AM
Played a Single Stab with Gaz, Perci & Nudgee today.
Rained on and off all day but the course was in good nick.
Driver was all over the shop today hitting a few very wide :oops:
I was happy with my iron play and hit some nice little wedges.
39pts
8 Greens
4 Fairways #-o
28 Putts
4 Birdies (5 if you count the plover I belted on the 3rd :lol:)
6 Pars
4 Bogeys
2 Doubles
2 Wipes

Nice work Eags. No mention of any hosel rockets, I see. :smt023

Jarro
28th December 2008, 11:56 AM
Nice shootin' Eagsy :smt038

Eag's
28th December 2008, 12:01 PM
Cheers Courty & Jarro, I did hit one rocket just after I belted the plover, I think I was still laughing at the time :)

Grunt
28th December 2008, 12:06 PM
So you rid the world of one of these pests? Eag's 1 - Plover 0.

Moe Norman
28th December 2008, 06:49 PM
Single Stab today.

27 Points.

Hit everything ok, but was just a bit off and missed greens I wouldn't normally miss etc.

Given my chipping is at an all-time low, and putting is adequate by my standards, but not 'good' - missing greens is a recipe for disaster.

chappy1970
29th December 2008, 08:48 AM
I had the pleasure of hosting GolfNugget76 (Dave) at Southern yesterday. The weather was fantastic, pretty warm and with a breeze, the course was also in great nick.

Dave is off 5 and handled himself extremely well for his first time around the course and it has been a long time since I played with someone so consistent and long off the tee.
Note: to Dave check the shaft flex on your driver.

On to my game, well it was the best game I have played for at least 3 years, still a little scratchy off the tee, but my game was on.

We started on the 10th, I went out with 20 points, which included 2 wipes :oops:. Then proceeded to play out of my arse for 24 points coming back in.

44 points for the day was enough for me to win the comp and 12 balls, probably more like 6 if I get decent balls.

44 points 74 gross/64 nett
4 birdies
2 bogies
2 doubles
10 pars

Back into single digits 8.8
Cheers
Chappy

BrisVegas
29th December 2008, 09:03 AM
awesome round chappy!

Bruce
29th December 2008, 09:06 AM
Nice shooting Chappy.

AndyP
29th December 2008, 09:08 AM
74 gross is rather handy, Chappy. Well done!

chappy1970
29th December 2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks guys, moving to reg shafts in my irons has made a massive difference to my game.

Eag's
29th December 2008, 10:19 AM
Top round Chappy :smt038

Courty
29th December 2008, 03:00 PM
Great stuff, Chappy. Unfortunately my round today wasn't even in the same ballpark.

I started well enough, with 16pts on the front with a wipe. Maybe the oppressive heat got to me on the back because I made 11 pts look very difficult. :neutral:

adlo
29th December 2008, 03:57 PM
Nice round Chappy.

4 birds, nice.

chappy1970
29th December 2008, 04:04 PM
Best thing was I got a shot on each of them - 16 points in 4 holes, doesn't happen to me that often

Courty
30th December 2008, 10:10 PM
Just got the word that I won the comp last Friday with my 39pts. CCR was 73 (par 72), so I drop back to 8.3.

Eag's
30th December 2008, 10:23 PM
Just got the word that I won the comp last Friday with my 39pts. CCR was 73 (par 72), so I drop back to 8.3.

Well done mate :smt023