PDA

View Full Version : Tour Van question

andylo
3rd December 2004, 12:53 PM
Tomorrow will go to PGA Champ. in Coolum with Kee and MarkM.

Just curious will I see those tour van in there? And if they are there, can I buy things from the tour van?

AndyP
3rd December 2004, 01:02 PM
can I buy things from the tour van?
No, you've made a promise. Unless it is a putter. :P

Do they have tour van's in Australia? :?

andylo
3rd December 2004, 01:03 PM
I am not buying.

I just want to know if there're

A: Tour van and
B: Can you buy from Tour van

:wink:

Fishman Dan
3rd December 2004, 01:15 PM
I didn't see any tour vans at the Australian Open - it just depends on whether the club manufacturers see themselves turning over a dollar at the event. I think this is a very American-ised concept of turning a golf tournament into another franchising side-show.

I can't see it happening, and nor could they apparently.

markTHEblake
3rd December 2004, 01:27 PM
From what i have seen at events there will be a couple of reps with a bag full of demo gear for the pro's to try out. Somehow i cant see them being interested in letting Joe Public getting a look in.

Fishman Dan
3rd December 2004, 02:19 PM
Last tournament I was at was the Aus Open at The Grand GC.
They had tour vans all over the place. I was able to buy beers, ice creams and all sorts of nice stuff.
Unfortunately they haven't woken up to getting a KFC van there....boy...wouldn't golf be the winner then ? :shock:

Let me guess, you bought the Golden Gaytime TP? :lol:

Jarro
3rd December 2004, 03:57 PM
no Tour vans over here A-Lo :(

remember your promise :wink:

andylo
3rd December 2004, 03:59 PM
I just want to see what is it look like inside the tour van.

I will keep my promise :)

davidp
3rd December 2004, 04:26 PM
I will keep my promise :)

Well, an iRod is not a complete club is it A-Lo? So, technically, you'll be keeping your promise...

andylo
3rd December 2004, 04:32 PM
under the agreement we can buy shaft ONLY if it's necessary.

davidp
3rd December 2004, 04:35 PM
Definitely necessary then. Bordering on an emergency... :lol:

goughy
3rd December 2004, 06:42 PM
I think even the tour van's on the european tour are nothing compared to what you see in the states.

Fishman Dan
3rd December 2004, 06:52 PM
under the agreement we can buy shaft ONLY if it's necessary.

I'd be intrigued to hear what's deemed necessary? :?

Deano
3rd December 2004, 10:43 PM
"I just want to see what is it look like inside the tour van."

Just imagine GCI crammed into the back of a big van.

Ain't that exciting(well not really).

Deano

McMw
3rd December 2004, 10:51 PM
A Tour Van is only exciting if you've been invited to play in the tournament....

Meaning

a) you're a damn good player

or

b) you're a damn good player...

I'm sure I told this before...but couple of months ago, I had the pleasure of playing with a scratch capper who flew over from Kuala Lumpur over to this part of the world to take part in a Club Open....

I was paired with him on the 2nd day, and we started to talk abt equipments (re: R580XD Tour Head thread)...

he told me that he and 3 other mates were invited to play in the Malaysia Open (part of the Asian Tour) as they were all working for the Malaysian Golf Association, who had 4 invites...

When he was there, he went to the Taylor Made Tour van, took 2 drivers, 5 fairway woods, 3 wedges, and 2 Mezzas....FOC....all with whatever shafts he wanted (ProLite 35s)...

he didn't get the irons, as he wanted to stick with his MP33s.... :roll:

andylo
4th December 2004, 12:11 AM
How old is he??

McMw
4th December 2004, 12:14 AM
mid 20s???

he's planning to turn pro next year, and cut his teeth on the Malaysian Circuit, and working his way thru the system, and trying to qualify for the Aisan Tour...

andylo
4th December 2004, 12:20 AM
Nothing then.... no more hope for me :cry:

Speirsy11
4th December 2004, 09:06 PM
Just for the record.....

1. TOUR Vans are not "Open to the public" in any way. They are there solely for the TOUR pros service needs, such as reshafting, regrips, trying new gear. They will rarely let you inside, and NEVER will you be able to buy anything.

2. The companies do not do it to "turn over a dollar at the event". It is strictly to make sure their players are happy and have the best stuff possible.

3. It has nothing to do with "a very American-ised concept of turning a golf tournament into another franchising side-show". Again, PUBLIC NOT ALLOWED. The vans are service centers, they are not showing off equipment to random nobodys that show up wanting a peek.

4. The vans generally leave Wednesday night as very few pros will be looking to try anything new once the event starts.

5. There will probably not be any at the Australian Tour events, generally only the big TOURs.

Have fun this week watching those guys play........It's even more impressive in person then on TV.......

Speirsy11

Fishman Dan
5th December 2004, 12:37 PM
3. It has nothing to do with "a very American-ised concept of turning a golf tournament into another franchising side-show". Again, PUBLIC NOT ALLOWED. The vans are service centers, they are not showing off equipment to random nobodys that show up wanting a peek.

The point i tried to make is that the sport is a lot more marketable in the US. We can't even accomodate more than half-a-dozen tournaments.

A couple of manufacturers had tents at the Aussie Open (Wilson, etc), but that was to sell retail gear - at retail prices. No bargains or 'Tour' spec equipment available.

andylo
5th December 2004, 04:58 PM
Thanks Speirsy11

:D :D :D

Speirsy11
5th December 2004, 11:32 PM
Thanks Speirsy11

:D :D :D

No worries....Have fun.....