PDA

View Full Version : Ping EYE2 question

andylo
3rd December 2004, 12:52 PM
1st thing 1st, I just curious about it, NOT wanting to buy it... I still want to keep the promise.

Just wondering if there're certain version of EYE 2 is no offset?

gazgolf1
3rd December 2004, 01:34 PM
no. :cry:

Deano
3rd December 2004, 10:48 PM
I'll 2nd that "No" :wink:

I think Ping are missing out on the Eye2 legend/legacy.

What about some kinda Retro series.Ping Eye2 '05??

Could put out a slightly more forgiving extra o/size version with
offset plus a Tour approved reduced offset/come blade-ish
version.Too much heritage to let slide imho.

Deano

McMw
3rd December 2004, 10:52 PM
ping i2s are great....everyone should at least have a whack with them once in their golfing life... :lol:

andylo
4th December 2004, 12:09 AM
ping i2s are great....everyone should at least have a whack with them once in their golfing life... :lol:

Don't say that ok.... the pawn shop next to my work place has a set 3-SW for low price!!!! Too tempting...

Keep my promise, keep my promise..... :evil:

McMw
4th December 2004, 12:15 AM
sell your current irons, and use that money to buy the i2s....and as long you either make something out of the sell, or even better, come out in the black...I'm sure you'll be forgiven... :lol:

andylo
4th December 2004, 12:18 AM
Mau, love my current iron (Adams GT-Ulti.) so not plan to change, yet.

Also 3balls are selling them crazy cheap too....

Any idea lie angle 2 up = what dot color??

NO, I am not buying it now, not until cap = 18 anyway.... just need to know ;)

McMw
4th December 2004, 12:37 AM
blue - 1up
green - 2up

andylo
4th December 2004, 02:40 AM
Thanks mate :)

goughy
4th December 2004, 06:27 AM
Well andylo, the eye2's are considered one of, if not the best forgiving iron of all time. They've been around for 20 years now and if you contact ping you could still get a new set, and you would find some pro's are still using them.

I personally would forgive you for buying a set. I don't know what the adams are like in the forgiveness department but forgiveness is what you need at this stage of your development. Heck, it's what I needed too.

The eye2's are a club that could take you as far as you wanted to go. I used to have a set of brosnan eye2 copies and while they were ok early on they needed changing. You could use the eye2's now and still be using them at low single figures. You would never need to ho irons again.

And don't give me any of the goughy ping goughy ping thing. I think I'm right about the eye2's regardless of who makes them.

And since money has probably been bet on whether andylo ho's before he reaches 18hc; I'm just trying to save people waiting for the result :wink:

macleod
5th December 2004, 10:16 AM

Don't say that ok.... the pawn shop next to my work place has a set 3-SW for low price!!!! Too tempting...

Keep my promise, keep my promise..... :evil:
say, i looked at those too, the one at ashgrove? hmmmmm :)

they still got that fisher putter for $70? :D

davidp
5th December 2004, 02:35 PM
A-Lo, 4 questions:

How much are they?
What colour dot?
What shafts
Condition?

I have no ho'ing promise to keep. :lol:

andylo
5th December 2004, 04:56 PM
1: Forget :p But I think pick 1 up from 3balls is wiser :p
2: Dunno
3: dunno :p

Just don't want to think about it.... no HOing... no HOing... :evil:

senecio
5th December 2004, 07:51 PM
Our Pro Shop has a 2 iron - SW set that I've been eyeing for the last month.

Just as a second set to try. Haven't worked up the courage to bring them home yet.

The missus would kill me.

Ryan

JJJ
5th December 2004, 08:02 PM
I've used Eye 2's for the last 17 years. I switched from the originals to the Pluses in the mid 90's when they banned them. I've tried a lot of clubs a various times but nothing has come close to forcing the Eye 2's out of the bag. They set a benchmark that really no one has managed to pass by much in the last 20 years.

I'm always interested to see how much a good set of Eye 2's bring, they seem to hold their value better than any other iron. I'm sniffing around for a set of BeCu's but a good set still pulls a lot of dollars. One day.........

JJ

andylo
5th December 2004, 08:48 PM
What is Eye 2 Plus?? Oversized?

I've used Eye 2's for the last 17 years. I switched from the originals to the Pluses in the mid 90's when they banned them. I've tried a lot of clubs a various times but nothing has come close to forcing the Eye 2's out of the bag. They set a benchmark that really no one has managed to pass by much in the last 20 years.

I'm always interested to see how much a good set of Eye 2's bring, they seem to hold their value better than any other iron. I'm sniffing around for a set of BeCu's but a good set still pulls a lot of dollars. One day.........

JJ

JJJ
5th December 2004, 10:38 PM
Andy,

The original Eye 2's got banned by the R&A and USGA in the 90's. They were the first to have square grooves and to lessen the amount that they took chunks out of ball they slightly flared the top of the groove so it wasn't a 90 degree angle. This meant that the grooves were a couple of thousands of an inch too close together so after a long and involved process they were banned. The R&A banned them outright and the USGA grandfathered them (you could still use them but they couldn't make anymore). The Eye 2 Pluses were then released and they were "legal" everywhere. Slightly different grind on the wedges and a couple of degrees stronger thru the whole set. In Australia only the Pluses are legal.

JJ

goughy
6th December 2004, 06:24 AM
In Australia only the Pluses are legal.

JJ

Are the "+ No +" legal in aus. How do you tell the difference between them and the originals?

McMw
6th December 2004, 09:46 AM
How do you tell the difference between them and the originals?

the "+" has a + logo in the cavity...easy to spot...

JJJ
6th December 2004, 05:33 PM
Goughy,

The + no + has the head shape and grind of the plus but the grooves of the original. My understanding is that they are not "legal" in Australia. You either have to have the plus on the back or the little hole Ping drilled into those original Eye 2's they "modified" to make legal here if you paid them to do it.

JJ

990B Luva
10th December 2004, 02:53 PM
Not all of the original Eye 2 irons are illegal, i have a set that do not have the flared edges on the grooves, and they are therefore legal to use in Australia, my irons are infact one of the first sets privately bought into Australia and were in the first run of Eye 2s ever made

JJJ
10th December 2004, 11:38 PM
990B,

On the back of the irons when you look at the "Ping Eye 2" branding there is "Karsten Phoenix AZ 85068 USA" stamped on the back of the top edge which appears below the "Ping Eye 2" branding. If "Karsten etc" is the same way up as "Ping Eye 2" you have a set of square grooves circa 1985 onwards. If Karsten etc is upside down when you look at the Ping Eye 2 branding then you have a set of V grooves from 1983 to 1985. Not all Eye 2's were square grooved.

JJ

Ferrins
25th August 2015, 09:20 PM
So what's the feeling towards these classics nowadays? I have just bought a set of +'s in black dot and will give them a run again. My first ever irons purchase was the BC Eye 2's.

dazza99
25th August 2015, 09:28 PM
I've got a set of Ping Eye 2+. Coupled with 1,3,4 & 5 Eye 2 woods :)

Classic irons. Love them to bits. imho every bit as good as any other club I've hit. (The irons not the woods).

I use the 2iron with my regular gaming set as a good option off the tees and to play out from under the trees (every other hole :( )

Disclaimer - I'm a chopper not a club afficionado

Ferrins
25th August 2015, 09:33 PM
A touring pro bought my original Ping irons for his dad.

Scifisicko
25th August 2015, 09:46 PM
Was looking at brand new ping eye 2 wedges at Drummond. The new pm wedges look like copies.

Hatchman
25th August 2015, 09:59 PM
So what's the feeling towards these classics nowadays? I have just bought a set of +'s in black dot and will give them a run again. My first ever irons purchase was the BC Eye 2's.

2 games in now with my first dabble using BeCu +'s. Not sure how long I'll keep playing them for at this stage.

Ferrins
27th August 2015, 03:54 PM
I used mine today and hit some solid shots might keep these a while.